Do I really want My Time Dining?

I'm fairly new to cruising - this will be our 2nd one.

We signed up for My Time Dining (last cruise we did early dining as there were 22 of us & we all wanted to eat dinner together - or in the same vicinity).

This cruise is just hubby & myself - we like to dine alone. Don't want to be seated at a table with strangers.

Is My Time Dining the best option for this in the MDR? Or am I better off switching to an early or late dining option? Our preference would be a table for 2 in the same spot with the same wait staff each night. Any advice?

We were on the Navigator last fall with family for a week long cruise. We had a big table, traditional dining. We all got to know our waiter and he got to know us and after only a day or two we didn't even need to ask for anything! It was great. After a week, family got off the ship and my husband and I stayed on for another week. We thought we'd like the flexibility of MTD and since we had no one else to worry about but ourselves, we asked for a two top. Big change from Traditional Dining and after only two nights we begged the Maitre'D to put us back. Why? The waiters were rushed off their feet and had no time to recommend dishes to us, answer questions, or anything! It was the most impersonal service we've ever come across and it really put a damper on the relaxed mood we carried over from the previous week of Traditional Dining.

So to answer your question, yes you can get a table for two with MTD but it won't be half as nice as Traditional Dining. Or at least it wasn't for us. :(

I just had my timing dining and had none of the problems that dln929 mentioned.

However, there are not nearly as many two-tops in traditional dining as there are in my time dining.

Hmmm, maybe the success of MTD varies with the ship? I'm glad to hear that others have had better luck than us because it's no fun when the dining is not relaxing. I don't know if it's because the Navigator was short-staffed or whether it was that given the popularity of MTD, they were aiming to have a lot of turnover of tables in a short time. Whatever the reason, we just felt that they wanted to get us fed and out of there!

With MTD you can always request the same table and wait staff each night. Just ask the maître de when you go in. We did that on our first MTD and had no problems at all. You should also be able to reserve your times online in your reservation.

We've had MTD 4-5 times and have always had the same waiter and table every night. There was one night on Freedom that we were at a table a couple over from ours, but same waiter, so it made no difference.

And we have always had a table for 2 when we did MTD, which was perfect. We did traditional dining last month on Oasis and missed MTD. We ended up only going to the MDR twice because it was so slow. Service in MTD always seems much quicker, but it could be a coincidence.

We went on our first cruise last year, and the first night asked for a table for 2 at 6pm for MTD. As we were leaving, the maître d asked if we were happy with our table and our servers. We were, so every night for the rest of the trip we had that same table at 6pm. The table for 2 to our left, and the table for 4 to our right had different diners each night, so we were able to exchange conversation when we wanted to. It worked out really well for us. We always wanted to move on to the evening's entertainment so took as much time dining as we wanted, but never felt rushed. The servers got to know us by name, our coffee preferences, etc., and it was only a 4 night cruise. We had a great experience.

We also had breakfast in the main dining room where they would fill up the tables for 8, so we had breakfast with other groups of 2's and 4's, and we met people that way. I felt like we had the best of both worlds.

...We also had breakfast in the main dining room where they would fill up the tables for 8, so we had breakfast with other groups of 2's and 4's, and we met people that way. I felt like we had the best of both worlds.
At breakfast in MDR we usually ask for a large table and enjoy meeting people. But you can ask for a private table if you wish. The Maitre d' may ask if you wish to share, or they may just put you at a large table if you don't say anything, so if you really want a small table, ASK.

Thom

If we are set to using the main dining room on a cruise, but for one reason or another decide to use MTD for an evening, is this allowed?

No if you book traditional dining that is what you have to use. If you book MTD you have to use that or you go to the Windjammer or a Specialty Restaurant if you do not want to use the MDR

We signed up for My Time Dining (last cruise we did early dining as there were 22 of us & we all wanted to eat dinner together - or in the same vicinity).

This cruise is just hubby & myself - we like to dine alone. Don't want to be seated at a table with strangers.

Is My Time Dining the best option for this in the MDR? Or am I better off switching to an early or late dining option? Our preference would be a table for 2 in the same spot with the same wait staff each night. Any advice?

MTD is the best option for you. Their are many more 2-person tables in MTD and MTD is designed for people that like to eat with their own group. You keep the flexibility of eating at the same time every night or changing if you desire, I would suggest that you make reservations ahead of time and then change them on board if your plans change. It's very simple to get the same waiter every night, just ask! When you go to the desk ask to be seated in the same area with the same waiter. BTW if you happen to get a poor waiter just ask to be seated in a different section the next night. As far as time is concerned, it's all up to you. You can eat quickly and get out or you can linger as long as you wish. We are never going back to the regular dining option.

We've had My Time Dining 3 times now & on the last trip we asked for the same table with Kristian and his assistant waiter. I think the longest we had to wait was 10 minutes.

I believe the waiters appreciate the loyalty!

Firstly to respond to an earlier question if you can join a tradition dining table if you have signed up for MTD as long as someone is eating elsewhere and the people on the table bring you in. Last year I had just finished Portifinos on the Voyager when I ran into a friend on the promenade and then got invited / kidnapped to late dinning as 4 people where elsewhere that evening. I skipped most of dinner as I was full but I did grab dessert.

As a general comment with MTD even if you book a particular time and wait staff there is at least a little less of a connection with the wait staff (in my opinion). For myself I view this as a good thing but if you want to get to know the wait staff and have them know what you are interested in, etc. then 1. Make sure you book a table rather than just turning up. 2. Consider fixed dining...

For the record I have 43 see nights on RCL all on MTD and have never booked a table ahead of time and would never choose traditional dining. As a single cruiser I just turn up and end up with whatever table I get.

We have done MTD a few times. Last time on the Allure we had a standing 6pm reservation. Two nights we knew we would be later and we told them the night before. We always had the same wait staff and same table.

On the nights we were a little later, the person at the desk at check in asked if we would mind a different table and we said no. We did have the same wait staff though. We had a table for 3.

Will be on the Oasis in March and planned MTD - also on the Radiance in June with the same plans...

I read yesterday on a different RCI dining thread on CC these comments from two different cruisers:

'Email rcldining@rccl.com about three weeks before your cruise to request a table for two. When I've done that in the past I got an email back from the restaurant coordinator on the ship confirming my table size and number about a week before the cruise.

I have done this in the past and it works like a charm.

When you send in the email include --

Your name and companions name; the ship your are sailing on and the dates along with your confirmation/reservation number.

Since we are C&A members, I also put our C&A member numbers in the email as well -- it never hurts.

We have always been given the dining room accommodations we want, like this.'

Susan

My Time dining would be best if you are ok with being in the same general location, but not necessarily the same exact table.

I read yesterday on a different RCI dining thread on CC these comments from two different cruisers:

'Email rcldining@rccl.com about three weeks before your cruise to request a table for two. When I've done that in the past I got an email back from the restaurant coordinator on the ship confirming my table size and number about a week before the cruise.

I have done this in the past and it works like a charm.

When you send in the email include --

Your name and companions name; the ship your are sailing on and the dates along with your confirmation/reservation number.

Since we are C&A members, I also put our C&A member numbers in the email as well -- it never hurts.

We have always been given the dining room accommodations we want, like this.'

Susan

Thank you - will put this in my calendar to do in March. :)

I just came off the Jewel. We used MTD, and always had a table for two, and decent enough service. The MDR though is very loud, crowded, long wait times between meals, and the food portions are quite small. I don't find it worth it, much more enjoyable to go elsewhere.

My Time dining would be best if you are ok with being in the same general location, but not necessarily the same exact table.

Exactly. On our last cruise, we had MTD and we didn't have the same table. We tried requesting the same wait staff but it wasn't guaranteed.