Skipping formal night?

theloo

Having recently returned from a NA cruise, I have a new appreciation for the posters who are adamant shipwide formal dressers.... for the first time ever, we received a communication in our cabin that on formal night, so as to be uniform (paraphrasing) ALL guest should maintain their formal wear when in any public area.... I have heard (read) this quoted on this site numberous times, and didn't know if it was a HA policy or someone's recommendation.

Having said that, we would normally "dress" for dinner, then run to the cabin and change into something more comfortable for the shows and clubs. This time, we maintained our formal wear and noticed most everyone else did too.... However, one of our formal nights was somewhat rocky, and I took off my heals and carried them. (Please don't tell my mom - she'd be horrified!)

On a recent Zuiderdam cruise we stayed in a Suite and got friendly with the Maitre d' in Pinnacle.

On formal nights I was able to come to dinner with a shirt and trousers and upon entering he would hand me a jacket to carry in and place over my chair. All rules were apparently observed and nobody complained.

Brian

Having recently returned from a NA cruise, I have a new appreciation for the posters who are adamant shipwide formal dressers.... for the first time ever, we received a communication in our cabin that on formal night, so as to be uniform (paraphrasing) ALL guest should maintain their formal wear when in any public area.... I have heard (read) this quoted on this site numberous times, and didn't know if it was a HA policy or someone's recommendation.

Having said that, we would normally "dress" for dinner, then run to the cabin and change into something more comfortable for the shows and clubs. This time, we maintained our formal wear and noticed most everyone else did too.... However, one of our formal nights was somewhat rocky, and I took off my heals and carried them. (Please don't tell my mom - she'd be horrified!)

Thank you for sharing your experience.

This is the thing that bothers me about HAL's "policy". On this board, people are frequently advised to eat in the Lido, or Canaletto, if they don't want to dress up for formal night. Obviously, the Lido is a public area. And after dinner, what are all those people supposed to do, go back and sit in their cabin if they can't be seen in the theater and lounges without formal wear?

I recognize that there are opinions on both sides of the issue as far as formal wear dining in the MDR and specialties, and I respect that. I follow the guidelines. However, to insist that all public areas of the ship remain formal for the entire evening is unreasonable, IMO.

This is the thing that bothers me about HAL's "policy". On this board, people are frequently advised to eat in the Lido, or Canaletto, if they don't want to dress up for formal night. Obviously, the Lido is a public area. And after dinner, what are all those people supposed to do, go back and sit in their cabin if they can't be seen in the theater and lounges without formal wear?

I recognize that there are opinions on both sides of the issue as far as formal wear dining in the MDR and specialties, and I respect that. I follow the guidelines. However, to insist that all public areas of the ship remain formal for the entire evening is unreasonable, IMO.

This is very interesting. We have an Alaskan cruise booked this Spring and are about to pull the trigger on a Southern Caribbean for this December, but if HAL starts to insist on this policy, we will cancel these cruises and look elsewhere.

There is also the issue of how those dining in the Lido or Canaletto are to get back to their cabin without using a public area.:confused::rolleyes:

My personal experience after many HAL cruises is that you will see quite a lot people in casual wear on formal night. It does not offend my senses at all -I only concern myself with what I am wearing. But I do agree that formal night in the MDR be exactly that.

Can you just clarify ... do you mean only on formal night(s)? We still want to eat in the MDR on other nights, and were planning on just slacks and button down shirt.
HAL "requests" that no shorts or tee shirts be worn on any evenings, so any long pants (including Jeans now) and a collared shirt will suffice on casual nights.

... what are all those people supposed to do, go back and sit in their cabin if they can't be seen in the theater and lounges without formal wear?
The dress code isn't even minimally enforced outside the dining rooms, and you'll see shorts and tees all over the ship, even on formal nights.

Edited by jtl513

And after dinner, what are all those people supposed to do, go back and sit in their cabin if they can't be seen in the theater and lounges without formal wear?

Go back to their cabin and change into formal wear? :D

There is also the issue of how those dining in the Lido or Canaletto are to get back to their cabin without using a public area.:confused::rolleyes:

One formal night, after I had changed into casual clothes because I was not intending to be out and about, but I was moving between my cabin and my parent's cabin on a different deck and in the elevator a lady complained quite loudly about people not observing the dress code in the public areas. I was the only other person in the elevator so I am certain she was complaining about me.

But that is the problem...it's nearly impossible to get from one location to another on the ship without walking through a "public area."

Though honestly, that was the only audible complaint I have ever heard about not being in formal attire on a formal night.

One formal night, after I had changed into casual clothes because I was not intending to be out and about, but I was moving between my cabin and my parent's cabin on a different deck and in the elevator a lady complained quite loudly about people not observing the dress code in the public areas. I was the only other person in the elevator so I am certain she was complaining about me.

But that is the problem...it's nearly impossible to get from one location to another on the ship without walking through a "public area."

Though honestly, that was the only audible complaint I have ever heard about not being in formal attire on a formal night.

The only time I ever heard a comment was on a Royal Caribbean ship, when I was heading up to the gym one evening in my shorts. I simply said it was difficult to work out in a gown. Everyone else laughed but not her.:D

Wow..Have never heard of HAL doing this..

Were you on a chartered cruise or were you on a regularly scheduled NA cruise? Was the notice you received signed by someone in charge such as the Hotel Mgr or the Front Office & did it6 come to you on HAL stationary?

Betty

I wonder if this is just specific to the NA or whether it is across the board with HAL? I just shared this new tidbit with my DW and she agrees that we will look elsewhere if this is the way HAL wants things right now.

Has anyone else experienced this on any other HAL cruise of late? Final payment for our Alaska cruise is just around the corner and I would hate to miss it.

ALL guest should maintain their formal wear when in any public area.... I have heard (read) this quoted on this site numberous times, and didn't know if it was a HA policy or someone's recommendation.

Um, the gym and the pool areas would be public areas, wouldn't they? You'd look pretty silly in formal wear in those areas. :D

Hoping for some clarification for our Alaska cruise in July. We're looking forward to it, but packing IS a problem for us. Darn shoes!

I wonder if this is just specific to the NA or whether it is across the board with HAL? I just shared this new tidbit with my DW and she agrees that we will look elsewhere if this is the way HAL wants things right now.

Has anyone else experienced this on any other HAL cruise of late? Final payment for our Alaska cruise is just around the corner and I would hate to miss it.

Personally I wouldn't give it a second thought. My husband never brings clothes for formal night and it has not been a problem. Two years ago he and his brother did rent tuxes so the four of us could get some nice photos together and enjoy dinner in the Pinnacle on our anniversary. However as a general rule he doesn't dress up for formal night and eats in the Lido or Canaletto. Sometimes I check out the menu and order those same items for room service and we eat on the balcony. Please don't cancel a cruise to Alaska over formal night "rules". Alaska is amazing and it was our first cruise. I would love to cruise to Alaska again sometime!

Um, the gym and the pool areas would be public areas, wouldn't they? You'd look pretty silly in formal wear in those areas. :D

Hoping for some clarification for our Alaska cruise in July. We're looking forward to it, but packing IS a problem for us. Darn shoes!

My guys wore black casual (gym) shoes. Worked great! Had to pack for my husband and two teen boys and to bring 3 pairs of heavy dress shoes wasn't happening. Add khakis and button down shirts and you're good for every evening except formal. A blazer solves the formal attire dilemma. My husband doesn't usually care to eat in the MDR for formal evening so he didn't pack the blazer but that is really all you need for the minimum dress requirement.

My guys wore black casual (gym) shoes. Worked great! Had to pack for my husband and two teen boys and to bring 3 pairs of heavy dress shoes wasn't happening. Add khakis and button down shirts and you're good for every evening except formal. A blazer solves the formal attire dilemma. My husband doesn't usually care to eat in the MDR for formal evening so he didn't pack the blazer but that is really all you need for the minimum dress requirement.
GREAT idea about the shoes! A whole lot lighter, and can be worn all the time. Thanks!

On 'formal wear' night, (and any other night), I always dress smart casual, wearing a (short sleeve) collared shirt & a pair of dark slacks! Following the completion of my dinner in the Lido, I walk anywhere about the ship in any public venue, including 'The Showroom at Sea'! Do not let anyone here on the HAL CCB or onboard any HAL ship tell you that you cannot be seen in any public venue during the evening on 'formal wear' night! ;)

On 'formal wear' night, (and any other night), I always dress smart casual, wearing a (short sleeve) collared shirt & a pair of dark slacks! Following the completion of my dinner in the Lido, I walk anywhere about the ship in any public venue, including 'The Showroom at Sea'! Do not let anyone here on the HAL CCB or onboard any HAL ship tell you that you cannot be seen in any public venue during the evening on 'formal wear' night! ;)

Old guy (me) wonders what a "collared shirt" means.

Dress shirt, polo shirt, anything with a collar?????