Specialty restaurant dining in suite

sailorgirl

We haven't been on Oceania in a year and will be doing the Riviera transatlantic in April. Last year,when we were unable to get specialty restaurant reservations, our Butler was able to service us from the restaurant right in our Penthouse. Is this still a policy?

We haven't been on Oceania in a year and will be doing the Riviera transatlantic in April. Last year,when we were unable to get specialty restaurant reservations, our Butler was able to service us from the restaurant right in our Penthouse. Is this still a policy?

Yes it is during dinner hours..

Jancruz1

Can you only have this for yourselves or can you invite someone to join you?

CJ

Space wise I don't think you can comfortably have more than two in a PH although I know some have had four. No problem in the larger suites where we have had four easily for dinner.

Regarding guests for dinner in your suite ...

In an OC and a VS you could seat four, but no more ... unless they provide a topper for the table that will increase the size. (Personal experience.)

However, I was told by another cruiser that they would have been charged to invite guests into their suite for dinner! I don't know if that's truly the case, but he was quite sure. So you might want to check that out before inviting someone in.

OTOH, if you are in a suite you can invite people in for cocktails and your butler will serve ... I'm not sure how the pricing works there.

When we invited people in for cocktails in our OC in Nov/Dec 2013, we had enough "in house" liquor that no extra cost was involved. But then again, we didn't have a big party, just two couples on a couple of occasions. And we didn't use the butler to help out.

Mura

That's good to hear. It didn't make much sense that they'd charge for guests in the suite when they can just go to the restaurant and eat for free.

MURA

Never were charged for additional guests. We did however remember that our butler worked extra hard when it came to his tip!

We have dined in a penthouse twice with our neighbours. We brought their table and chairs in and the butler set both tables with tablecloths etc. It was a tight squeeze but is perfectly possible.

Just a word of caution when ordering the food. My friend thought he was being helpful when he listed his courses as 1, 2, 3 and ended up with 1 starter,2 lobsters and 3 deserts. We all had such a laugh about it, including our butler.

Never were charged for additional guests. We did however remember that our butler worked extra hard when it came to his tip!

That goes without saying! Just as you would if you have a cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres and such.

Mura

Just a word of caution when ordering the food. My friend thought he was being helpful when he listed his courses as 1, 2, 3 and ended up with 1 starter,2 lobsters and 3 deserts. We all had such a laugh about it, including our butler.

That WOULD be a lot of food! :D

Mura

Edited by Mura

According to printed material in our cabin (Vista Suite on Riviera), there is an extra charge for guests to join you in your cabin for dinner. I think a lot depends on your butler and the GM on-board at the time. We were told by our butler there would indeed be a charge. Our friends butler (head butler) told us the opposite. We ended up eating with our friends (they had an owner's suite).

But then, our butler gave us "free" tokens for the laundry.

Guess it just all depends on the whim of the day.

According to printed material in our cabin (Vista Suite on Riviera), there is an extra charge for guests to join you in your cabin for dinner. I think a lot depends on your butler and the GM on-board at the time. We were told by our butler there would indeed be a charge. Our friends butler (head butler) told us the opposite. We ended up eating with our friends (they had an owner's suite).

But then, our butler gave us "free" tokens for the laundry.

Guess it just all depends on the whim of the day.

Your Butler may have (unfortunately) misunderstood the printed materials...

In the Catering Menu which is provided to the Suites, a charge is listed for "visiting guests"; but it is my understanding that this would apply to people visiting the ship in a particular port and not one's fellow passengers, whose catering costs would already be covered by their own fares.

It isn't easy to get an Invited Guest on the ship, but a good many Travel Professionals who often use those Big Suites for business purposes, may have need to do so on a regular basis, hence the fee. :rolleyes: