Not Your Usual Formalwear Question

Cruise_Dancer

As we plan for our cruise,* my girlfriend and I are trying to decide what to do about formalwear. We both enjoy getting dressed up, and while we couldn't care less how other people dress on formal nights, we personally enjoy the opportunity to get dressed up (I'm the sort of person who bought his first tuxedo at 19 upon seeing a vintage Bill Bass in a thrift shop, "just in case."). This will, however, be the first time we've cruised out of a port we couldn't drive to and we're a bit reluctant to commit a large portion of our (paid) checked baggage to formalwear. Does anyone have any tips for packing a gown and tux for a plane ride so that we can enjoy them on the ship?

* Yes it's over a year out. I like planning in advance. It helps me savor the anticipation. I'm strange that way, I suppose.

i highly recommend Eagle Creek pack-it folders and cubes. It's amazing what one folder will hold. My husband packs his suit and several shirts in one and they unpack with much less wrinkles because of the lack of movement. They also have a garment sleeve that will hold formal clothes. I haven't tried it yet but plan to get it as it folds up to fit in a carry-on. I also put as many heavy items (like shoes) in my carry on as it frees up weight in my one piece of checked luggage.

Hi

I travel for work alot and whilst daytime is normally jeans and boots I generally have to dress formally in the evenings ( Middle East and Europe tend to be after 5 pm focussed) .Instead of a tux I travel with a dark suit and take the jacket onboard with me and wear my formal boots this keeps the jacket less wrinkled and allows me reduce weight with luggage.

Interesting enough you rarely see a tux in Europe as evening wear it is generally dark tailored suits .

As we plan for our cruise,* my girlfriend and I are trying to decide what to do about formalwear. We both enjoy getting dressed up, and while we couldn't care less how other people dress on formal nights, we personally enjoy the opportunity to get dressed up (I'm the sort of person who bought his first tuxedo at 19 upon seeing a vintage Bill Bass in a thrift shop, "just in case."). This will, however, be the first time we've cruised out of a port we couldn't drive to and we're a bit reluctant to commit a large portion of our (paid) checked baggage to formalwear. Does anyone have any tips for packing a gown and tux for a plane ride so that we can enjoy them on the ship?

* Yes it's over a year out. I like planning in advance. It helps me savor the anticipation. I'm strange that way, I suppose.

We still dress in formal wear on every cruise; its something we look forward to as we are both restaurant operators and live in chefs' coats and clogs:). DH takes 1 tux with 1 shirt and a choice of ties and such. Onboard facilities launder his shirt between the 2 nights, and anything that was wrinkled in route is sent out for pressing. The prices on board are very reasonable for this; we use it every time now. One hint, put your outfits in individual plastic dry cleaning bags before packing; this seems to help!

Skyroll garment bag system, garment bag that wraps around a carry on bag. There is one that is a garment bag that has a shoe holder

We wait until we are on board to send things for dry cleaning vs sending this out right before the trip. No worries about how to get wrinkles out.

Edited by MonDreamr1

A Does anyone have any tips for packing a gown and tux for a plane ride so that we can enjoy them on the ship?

for the ladies I just use a knit gown without a lot of sequins/glitter or stiff fabric. its comfy while still looking nice, no ironing needed and if you happen to gain a couple of pounds it is very forgiving. In fact it doesn't always get packed in the garment bag with the Uniform and kilt( for DH) and comes out looking fine. Just add different accessories for the second night.

We wait until we are on board to send things for dry cleaning vs sending this out right before the trip. No worries about how to get wrinkles out.

And free if you use the Elite coupon!

I never ever thought of doing this, but someone on the last cruise told me that they did.

Edited by upwarduk

And free if you use the Elite coupon!

I never ever thought of doing this, but someone on the last cruise told me that they did.

If it is a vintage Bill Blass...I wouldn't get it dry cleaned on the ship...it sounds as if it's not going to be easy to replace if something does happen. Many years ago my DH's tux came back fron the dry cleaning (onboard the ship) with a cigarette burn.

My long dresses are not jersey fabric but I still roll them to pack and they travel well that way. DH does not have a tux but he takes a dark suit for formal nights. I folded it as shown in the link below. It barely creased at all and any creases that were in the sleeves fell out quickly after we hung it up. We were 3 days in London and 1 in Southampton prior to the cruise with it folded all that time.

http://www.blacklapel.com/thecompass/ask-a-black-lapel-stylist-how-to-fold-a-suit-jacket-when-traveling/

Enjoy your cruise.