Inside gty vs veranda gty

S&DMOM

Hello- Was hoping to get some opinions on our upcoming 11 day Med Cruise in June 2014. I have the option of booking an inside GTY cabin vs a Veranda GTY for $1400 more. If I book the Veranda I would be eligable for the 123 Go offer. I am debating b/c I have read the Europe cruise price eventually come down in price closer to the date. By having a low category I thought I would have more leverage in the future if price do go down.

We will be completely happy to have an Inside if no price drops occur. Thoughts?

I have had the exact same dilemma! Read my thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974243

I, personally, feel uncomfortable having a balcony GTY as I have wound up under the buffet and the noise starts at 3 am and never lets up and I'm a light sleeper. But you may feel differently. But with the price that much higher....would you really drink enough to make an extra $1400 worth while? Just kidding.

I have had the exact same dilemma! Read my thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974243

I, personally, feel uncomfortable having a balcony GTY as I have wound up under the buffet and the noise starts at 3 am and never lets up and I'm a light sleeper. But you may feel differently. But with the price that much higher....would you really drink enough to make an extra $1400 worth while? Just kidding.

Exactly Helen!! I didn't feel the 123 go promo was much of an incentive... I could always purchase the drink packages with the money I save. I also heard that if prices do come down they sometimes won't honor the 123 go promo anyway. :rolleyes:

I'd go with the inside cabin. If prices drop (and they usually do) you can upgrade to a balcony or oceanview later on.

We had a balcony on our med cruise (free upgrade) however I never would have paid $1400 more for it (even with the 123 Go offer) since it barely got used. We preferred watching sailaway from one of the open decks at the top of the ship.

ETA: we didn't bother getting drink packages on our Med sailing. We spent so much time on land that we never would have drank enough to make it worthwhile. Many of the bars on the ship offered 2 for 1 drink specials during certain hours and other discounts which made for a low bar bill.

Edited by lovemylab

£1400 is more than I pay for most cruises.

I know you said $1400 more, but it does seem very high.

I added a beverage package when the price for my cruise came down, because I come from UK and all we were able to do in 2013, was cancel and re- book at 'today's prices. ' In Jan 2013 that was +£650, but in August it was nothing( our cruise was a TA in October)

Have you confirmed the 1,2,3 package is available with the verandah guarantee you are looking at? We did this last year and it wasn't combinable with a guarantee rate. I've booked a large number of verandah guarantees and have never had a problem with cabin assignment (I'm also told if you don't like the cabin you've been assigned that they will switch you to another cabin in the same category that you were assigned). Perhaps there are different categories of guarantee types and some maybe qualify?

The price for the guarantee was so much better than the regular fare that even by buying our own drinks we came out ahead.

Edited by RickT

Plus with the inside guarantee, you COULD get a veranda anyway!

20+ cruises with many booked as a guarantee... chance of an upgrade from an inside to a verandah is a very low probability. As many people say "when you book a guarantee, plan to be assigned the worst cabin on the ship in that category, and celebrate when you get assigned something nicer".

20+ cruises with many booked as a guarantee... chance of an upgrade from an inside to a verandah is a very low probability. As many people say "when you book a guarantee, plan to be assigned the worst cabin on the ship in that category, and celebrate when you get assigned something nicer".

I agree--and it sounds like the OP is okay with an inside--I'm just saying it's a possibility. Looking on the bright side.:rolleyes: