HAL vs Disney Magic

1of4

We recently took a cruise on Hal and then the next day boarded the Disney Magic. I will have a comparison with pictures but I am still working on my day by day review of the New Years Eve cruise and I am out of the house 13+ hours a day so my time is limited.

But to be timely, 3 of my family members sat down and compared a variety of aspects of our two cruises and said which line we preferred. I know this is subjective but we have tried hard to be objective and include why we chose the line we did as you may well prefer the opposite to us.

Embarkation: HAL; Disney was long lines and slow; we had a book and was told all they would due is scan our bar codes in the book but our agent insisted on entering all the data again because I didn't have a print out. She was truly horrible.

Key Cards: Disney; Disney takes one photo of the family and then seperates the pictures for each card. This way when you get off the ship if a minor gets off before an adult an alarm sounds. Also when picking up children from the clubs a photo of the family is shown and if you don't have your password and are not in that picture you can not pick up the child. Our key cards on HAL kept demagnifying and we each went through 3 to 4 cards in 7 days.

Cabin Steward: Disney. Much more interactive and attention to detail.

Cabin Bathroom set up: Disney with their split bath: toilet and sink in one bathroom; tub/shower and sink in the other.

Public Rooms: Hal; we prefer quiet spaces. There are no family quiet spaces on Disney. We didn't find the adult spaces quiet either. Disney is beautiful, no doubt but there is a lot of running, pushing, lack of seating...

Atmosphere: Hal...just suits us better but there was nothing wrong with Disney it was just too busy

Front Desk Staff: Hal. We were insulted and didn't have our questions answered by the Disney front desk staff and our questions were about debarkation

Buffet area: Hal for variety and ability to sit. Disney had a lot of variety of American cuisine but Hal has more variety of international cuisine. Disney for having non-alcoholic drinks available

Dining Room: Hal. We prefer the early set dining on Hal. Disney has a rotational dining plan and the rooms are beautiful shows in themselves, but the food was better on Hal.

Photographers: Disney; the packages are less expensive than Hal and the photographers really know how to pose people to get the best pictures we have had since our wedding

Kids Clubs: Tie. DS loved all the computers on Disney. DD preferred the creativity of Club Hal. The security is tighter on Disney. The Disney program is open from 9:00 AM through to midnight; Club Hal from 9:00 to 11:30; 1:00 to 4:30; 7:00 - 10:00;

Onboard Shopping experience: Disney...nobody does marketing better than Disney!

Bars: HAL; we prefer the atmosphere. This is very subjective.

Ship layout: Disney

Promenade: Hal

Muster Drill: Disney because they scan one room key/cabin and there is no calling out of names and cabin numbers. FAst and easy

Outdoor spaces: Hal has more open spaces for sitting; Disney sitting is all around very busy areas with music blaring from 6 in the morning until 10 at night

Entertainment: Disney

Pools: adults Hal, children=Disney

Cleanliness: Disney; they carry bottles of cleaners in caddies everywhere and have a conconction for everything. The room stewards clean the tile bathroom floors on their hands and knees with a brush;

Photo Gallery: Disney who has kiosks set up and one swipe of your room key lets you see all your photos so there is not sifting through all the photos to find yours, more secure, and there is even a picture frame on the wall so if you want to see how your photos will look on the wall just swipe your card;

Disembarkation: Hal; Disney has no process...just get off when the ship is cleared; it is a free for all; luggage has to be out by 10:30 the night before and there is no colour/number or any other system for groups to leave the ship.

Wine Stewards in dining room: Disney...as each table has one

Elevators: Hal; Disney has more but they are all smaller and slow

Public washrooms: Disney because they have many and they all work

Announcements: HAL (one - two per day on average; Disney has many)

Daily program: tie

Towel Animals: Disney (much more inventive and interactive...wait for the photos)

Robes: Hal; Disney did not supply Robes in the cabins and we missed them

Magnifying Mirror: Hal; Disney did not have a magnifying mirror

Cabin lighting: Disney had a variety of lighting all over the cabin; we find the HAL cabins dim

Drink Packages: Disney. Disney had packages for water, beer and wine that you could purchase when you board the ship. Soft drinks, juce and water are free in the buffet area at all times.

Wine Packages - HAL; HAL has a larger selection of wine included in the pkg

Laundry - HAL; Hal has the $7/day or $20/bag; Disney has 3 laundry rooms on the ship and not laundry service package. They had a per item cleaning service (either dry cleaning or laundry) which was expensive. But the Disney machines take you room key...no coins to operate which we found would be better.

I have pictues to go with my review but they are not ready yet. Please ask questions and I will try to answer the best I can. Sorry for any spelling mistakes...my family is waiting for their dinner!!:eek::rolleyes:;)

We recently cruised on the Disney Magic, having been HAL cruisers for years, and we were very pleasantly surprised. We've cruised on Veendam, Ryndam, Zaandam, and Maasdam.

The Magic was a full charter by Turner Classic Movies, so we were not bringing kids along, and it was likely quite different from the average Disney cruise, in that there were not a lot of character appearances, and the emphasis was on - surprise - classic film.

I agree with the OP - cabin service is far superior on Disney; HAL has just had too many cutbacks. When we asked our cabin steward for bathrobes, he was able to get them for us, and we had fresh ice in the ice bucket at least twice a day.

Although we enjoyed all 3 of the rotational restaurants on Magic, we prefer HAL's set dining, though we go with the late dining. We have not bothered with the wine packages on HAL (we will miss the ability to carry on our own), but Disney's selection was excellent.

My husband loved, loved, loved the seafood available at the Cabanas buffet! Much better selection that HAL

Another agreement with OP - the photo gallery was really great, very easy to use, and certainly encouraged the purchase of more photos.

This was all a surprise to us, as we would never have considered Disney previously but now we would - even if not a full charter.

But our cruise this summer will be on HAL. Variety is the spice of life!

We recently cruised on the Disney Magic, having been HAL cruisers for years, and we were very pleasantly surprised. We've cruised on Veendam, Ryndam, Zaandam, and Maasdam.

The Magic was a full charter by Turner Classic Movies, so we were not bringing kids along, and it was likely quite different from the average Disney cruise, in that there were not a lot of character appearances, and the emphasis was on - surprise - classic film.

I agree with the OP - cabin service is far superior on Disney; HAL has just had too many cutbacks. When we asked our cabin steward for bathrobes, he was able to get them for us, and we had fresh ice in the ice bucket at least twice a day.

Although we enjoyed all 3 of the rotational restaurants on Magic, we prefer HAL's set dining, though we go with the late dining. We have not bothered with the wine packages on HAL (we will miss the ability to carry on our own), but Disney's selection was excellent.

My husband loved, loved, loved the seafood available at the Cabanas buffet! Much better selection that HAL

Another agreement with OP - the photo gallery was really great, very easy to use, and certainly encouraged the purchase of more photos.

This was all a surprise to us, as we would never have considered Disney previously but now we would - even if not a full charter.

But our cruise this summer will be on HAL. Variety is the spice of life!

I would have loved to have been on this charter. Love those classic movies and love cruising. Sounds like so much fun.

Thanks everyone. Sorry my reply was so rushed last night. I haven't gone back to proof read as I know it is to late and now I am afraid!

Yes. I was on the Ryndam and am doing a photo review. But yesterday it was -36, I had to work in Toronto and get back for a 3:00 meeting with DD doctor to follow up on some testing so dinner was late and I was trying to type up or thoughts.

Disney was wonderful experience and we all enjoyed it. But the 4 days cost what a week on HAL's Noordam would have cost (that is the ship we were pricing out at the time).

Also worthy of noting is that we stayed in an inside on HAL and an outside on Disney...one of the HUGE round window cabins on deck 7, forward.

Here is a model of the Magic in the embarkation hall:

ry%3D400

It is a big ship, but very well laid out to move people along...except in the hallway going to the shops the the Disney theatre. There can be quite a bottle neck if you want to get to the forward elevators when a show is about to start or letting out and forget getting to the shops.

The other side of the model

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Now I only have a few pictures downloaded from my camera and available for me to copy from my Shutterfly account. The majority of picture are still on my camera (just too busy) but I will pull them off and start putting them on here so you can judge my comparison for yourself.

Here is our cabin that would be classified as an oceanview on Hal:

ry%3D400

The main bed is a queen and it is not two beds put together.

First the bath with the tub:

ry%3D400

Now the bath, closest to the cabin door, with the toilet. There is also a wooden shelfing unit that you can't see in the picture. It is in the corner.

ry%3D400

I also haven't edited these picture at all to correct the contrast. This was just as we entered the cabin.

More photos of inside the cabin before our luggage arrived:

The desk area across from the sofa which is a bed in these pictures. On all days the bed is put back into the sofa...even when we said that it was not necessary and DD bun was put back into the ceiling so you couldn't tell it was there at all.

ry%3D400

There is plenty of storage space. More than on Hal and we never had an issue on HAL even with 4 people and formal attire. The bed cupboard on the bottom right of the photo is a refrigerator...not a chiller...it got cold.

the front cupboard with the safe. Not the doors slide and do not swing open. Much better for accessing the bathrooms than Hal's "dance with the doors" nightly getting ready for dinner:

ry%3D400

I had this bank of drawers that you can see above all to myself!

The bottom 2 or 3 drawer is really one large drawer:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The bathroom ammenities:

ry%3D400

and wait...there is more...storage! But I don't have those pictures yet. I will show you though.

Here is the very comfortable bed:

ry%3D400

1of4, thanks for all the photos, they bring back such wonderful memories! I am looking forward to more, when you get a chance.

And Cruiser Andi, if you are interested in the Turner Classic Movies cruise, check out their website. It will be Oct 21 - 26 this year, and it looks like it will once again be on the Magic.

Enjoyed your review. Our next cruise puts us as Platinum on Disney (sailed all their ships), & we are also 3* Mariners on HAL. We enjoy HAL for the itinerary and price, but give the edge to Disney on service & entertainment as well as Castaway Cay over HMC.

Of note: Disney does not care what alcohol you carry on. It must not be in a cooler with ice. You must not check it. It must fit through the security screener. You may bring on alcohol at every port of call, if you wish, with the same rules. They do not bat an eye, just ask that you consume the drinks in your room. This is our preference, and HAL's new tight carry-on rules are displeasing to us. Thinking about scouting the terminal for teatotalers to act as our wine mules, lol. Free bingo card? Free soda card for your smuggling troubles? :p

Some of you may find the concierge comparisons between DCL & HAL interesting (forgive my short hijack):

Disney Dream and Fantasy: concierge lounge that is lovely and comfortable, with the requisite coffee/cappuccino/espresso maker. Snacks and sweets. Also, free happy hour between 5 - 5:45 & 7 - 7:45. This includes beer, wine, champagne, and several hard liquors and mixers. The times aren't that strict. We know the concierge team at this point, so if I run in and grab a few beers to take back to the room at 10pm, this doesn't seem to be an issue if done discreetly and politely. The 1BR suites are much, much, much nicer then HAL's S suites. Who wouldn't love two full bathrooms. My husband and I each having our own bathroom on a cruise ship is a small slice of heaven! Concierge guests get their own Sun deck as well. You also get iPad loaners and 100 free internet minutes per cabin. On HAL, you may get lucky with a glass of champagne in the Neptune lounge, but not expected. What you do get on HAL v. DCL is free laundry and dry cleaning, which is a definite plus!

The Magic and Wonder do not have concierge lounges, so their services aren't as impressive, but it's still nice. And I would take a 1BR Disney suite on those ships any day. Disney suites are really suites in the true sense of the term.

Apologies. I got carried away. :o

Thanks for the pics of the Magic. She is one off our favorite ships. Looking at your pictures feels like coming home!

I have done only the EBTA on Disney, and it was fabulous.

I was in a cabin similar to the OP's (deck 6), and the room steward was much better than any I've had on HAL. Food was great, movie theater and movies wonderful, you get the idea.

I won't take a 3-day or 4-day cruise on Disney, but for a longer, special itinerary (TA, PC), I'm in.

I have done only the EBTA on Disney, and it was fabulous.

I was in a cabin similar to the OP's (deck 6), and the room steward was much better than any I've had on HAL. Food was great, movie theater and movies wonderful, you get the idea.

I won't take a 3-day or 4-day cruise on Disney, but for a longer, special itinerary (TA, PC), I'm in.

WARNING....I am about to say what I thought which is just my opinion and no offence is intended......

This is an excellent point and one I had not considered. I felt at times like I was caught in the TV show "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" which I have only seen advertisements for. I hate to say that but it is the only way I can get across what it felt like to us. Nothing wrong with it, everyone deserves a vacation, but not what I was expecting.

But interesting comparison on the length of cruise. I wouldn't take a 3 or 4 night Carnival cruise either, especially not with my children. DH was thinking the longer and more exotic itineraries would be fine and I was thinking I wasn't willing to chance it. Now that you point out that we were on a short cruise I guess DH had a point! We felt, at times, there were no parents on board, just a bunch of ill mannered children of all ages.

Edited by 1of4

I downloaded a few more photos last night so here you go. These are the kiosks where you tap your "key to the world" room card and can view all your pictures taken on the voyage. We loved this system much better than on HAL and walking around trying to find your picture in amongs all the others in the gallery.

ry%3D400

and the prices:

ry%3D400

I have another picture taken inside shutters itself but I guess I didn't download that one yet. I have 730 photos to sift through and I was very tired last night. Sorry.

But here is the 3 floor lobby/atrium. It is beautiful!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DD and DS on one of the balconies overlooking the atrium:

ry%3D400

The is the main hallway to the shops and the Walt Disney Theatre. It can get verry crowed and clautrophobic in here when there is an event on or the show is getting out. The closest elevators to our room were just behind the wall you see at the end, and at times we just couldn't use them.

ry%3D400

For some reason, and I am sorry I didn't realize, most of the pictures I downloaded last night had to do with the different kids clubs on board. I only downloaded 45 pictures so I will try to post most:

When each child enteres any of the clubs they have to wash their hands....but Disney has made even this mundane task fun and effective:

ry%3D400

DD said it was warm and tickled:

ry%3D400

Stools available so everyone can reach:

ry%3D400

Lots to see and do:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Even a private hallway, not accessed by outside of the clubs, so younger children and older children aged 3 to 12 can go between the two age groups' areas without having to be signed out and back in again:

ry%3D400

Not to worry though, there were many creative spaces...DD was excited about them but DS just wanted the computers:

side note....I started this post, was kicked out, re logged on the CC and started a new post and then this one came back....weird.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Then for the tweens, there was The Loft. They made it look like a typical basement and for some reason DD wanted nothing to do with it....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Out and about the ship after we embarked:

ry%3D400

The Mickey statue in the lobby:

ry%3D400

Beautiful carpets everywhere!

ry%3D400

Each elevator bay had a different style:

ry%3D400

Sorry, the other picture of the elevators are not downloaded yet so I will be quiet and just show the pictures I do have....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The photo above is in the photo gallery called shutters. You can just make out, between each window, a small screen that is framed like a picture. This is where you can, if you choose, view your pictures "framed" with a tap of your room key.