Does Crystal's free wi-fi raise the bar for Regent?

commodoredave

Is Crystal offering a better deal here than Regent? Does Regent need to respond? What do you think?

LOS ANGELES, January 21, 2014 – Crystal Cruises announces the newest perk to its All Inclusive luxury cruise experience: Free Wi-Fi for Crystal Society members, the line’s “club” of repeat guests, beginning Fall 2014. Effective with Crystal Serenity’s September 19 New England/Canada sailing and Crystal Symphony’s October 15 Panama Canal cruise, each Crystal Society guest will receive 60 minutes of complimentary internet access for every day of the cruise. For example, a 10-day cruise will offer 600 free minutes per person (or 1,200 free minutes per couple), a 12-day cruise offers 720 free minutes per person (or 1,440 free minutes per couple), a 14-day cruise offer 840 free minutes (or 1,680 free minutes per couple), etc., which can be used any time throughout the voyage.

Society members can use the new complimentary access time wirelessly via iPad, iPhone, laptop or other wireless device or on Crystal’s own Computer University@Sea 27” dual-compatible iMac computers. A multi-million dollar Wi-Fi upgrade rolled out in recent months helps guests enjoy maximum onboard connectivity.

As a gold member I get free Wi-Fi with Regent, so not a big deal for me. But I do like the fact that Crystal is giving significant free access to anyone with just once cruise under their belt. I also like the fact that they have invested significantly in improving onboard internet access and capability.

Having just finished a SeaDream cruise where the internet was both pricy and none existent, I value reliable access.

Regent benefit still much better

Interesting - you are able to compare something that is to be introduced in 6 months and includes an upgrade on the technological front with the current Regent offering?

I'm impressed :eek: - with your blind loyalty....

It cost me $400 for internet on my last cruise on Seabourn, so they also have some catching up to do.

What I like about both Crystal and Regent is they have recognized internet charges are a major irritant to most luxury cruisers.

Hopefully this will create some pressure on other luxury lines to take similar action.

Interesting - you are able to compare something that is to be introduced in 6 months and includes an upgrade on the technological front with the current Regent offering?

I'm impressed :eek: - with your blind loyalty....

Yes, because I am a very intelligent human being. :)

I try to get work done while on cruises; allows me to take longer vacations while keeping the boss happy. Even before the recent Regent update in bandwidth, I had not really had many problems.

Marc

Is Crystal offering a better deal here than Regent? Does Regent need to respond? What do you think?

LOS ANGELES, January 21, 2014 – Crystal Cruises announces the newest perk to its All Inclusive luxury cruise experience: Free Wi-Fi for Crystal Society members, the line’s “club” of repeat guests, beginning Fall 2014. Effective with Crystal Serenity’s September 19 New England/Canada sailing and Crystal Symphony’s October 15 Panama Canal cruise, each Crystal Society guest will receive 60 minutes of complimentary internet access for every day of the cruise. For example, a 10-day cruise will offer 600 free minutes per person (or 1,200 free minutes per couple), a 12-day cruise offers 720 free minutes per person (or 1,440 free minutes per couple), a 14-day cruise offer 840 free minutes (or 1,680 free minutes per couple), etc., which can be used any time throughout the voyage.

Society members can use the new complimentary access time wirelessly via iPad, iPhone, laptop or other wireless device or on Crystal’s own Computer University@Sea 27” dual-compatible iMac computers. A multi-million dollar Wi-Fi upgrade rolled out in recent months helps guests enjoy maximum onboard connectivity.

I guess it depends on what perks you are looking for. I've had free internet forever, it seems, being a long time Regent cruiser. Have nothing against Crystal, it seems to get high marks everywhere. But for the whole package, for the same size cabin (which I love on Regent) I can never find the equivalent size where the price even begins to match Regent, given all the credits I take for included air (and soon to be excluded pre-cruise hotel with no drop in pricing, grrr....). And then there's the question of included excursions. To each his own preference on that score. So I've not yet tried crystal, although as a solo traveler, I hear probably more accolades for this than any other line. I like that they are moving gradually toward all-inclusive. I just happen to cruise with friends most the time, or my family. I think you were not a happy cruiser on R, or found inconsistencies? That has not been the case for me. But I'm pretty easy to please, and never expect perfection from any line. Disney came pretty close for my grandchildren, however!

And I use more than 60 minutes per day as well, likely because I'm not paying. And have paid for it on Silversea at steep prices. Regents service has been upgraded to a higher bandwidth, btw, but it's still satellite and can be slow at times.

I'd have to say, Crystal's offer is not anything special. Regent has offered unlimited free internet to it's mid-teir and above loyalty program members for many years. Crystal's hour per day free is not as attractive. Actually, it appears to be a "me too" response to Regent's offer.

It's great that Regent and Crystal are improving the onboard wireless network hardware but I wonder, has the satellite constellation been improved? The satellite downlink (which dictates how much internet bandwidth is available to share among passengers) has, historically, been the weak link in the system. Improving the onboard wireless network is great, especially for signal propagation in far off corners. But improving the onboard network does nothing to improve the bandwidth from the satellite.

Anyone have any info about improvements to the satellite constellation?

TPA, I'm anything BUT a cyber-geek. All I can say is that Regent has invested money to increase the bandwidth, whatever that means, which required a lot of changes internally. On my last cruise (October 2013) I noticed a big difference. But I wonder if now, by adding so many more users, it might end up being about the same, eventually.

Maybe you can explain in simple English what is the meaning of satellite constellation.

Anyone have any info about improvements to the satellite constellation?

The press release notes:

• Doubling the satellite bandwidth to provide considerable improvements in both the quality and speed of the guest's online experience;
  • Expanding the WiFi signal's range, making WiFi available throughout the entirety of the ships including all suites, public rooms and outdoor decks;
  • Replacing all onboard hardware such as the modems, routers and bandwidth compression equipment with advanced technology.

So, they up the bandwidth a click and put in faster access points and routers.

What's the deal on Internet for new Regent passengers? Is it 60 min free time per day for concierge passengers upwards?how is that measured? And can it be used anywhere on the ship? Only 1 device? 60 min per person or per suite?

Also heard that there's free wifi 24/7 from Nov onwards...

So if you double the bandwidth AND the number of customers using internet, the net speed improvement should be zero.

I'll find out soon enough and provide feedback here.

That would be great, thanks. I bring my laptop with me to do work on every cruise, so speed and reliability are important to me. Look forward to your report.

I guess it depends on what perks you are looking for. I've had free internet forever, it seems, being a long time Regent cruiser. Have nothing against Crystal, it seems to get high marks everywhere. But for the whole package, for the same size cabin (which I love on Regent) I can never find the equivalent size where the price even begins to match Regent, given all the credits I take for included air (and soon to be excluded pre-cruise hotel with no drop in pricing, grrr....). And then there's the question of included excursions. To each his own preference on that score. So I've not yet tried crystal, although as a solo traveler, I hear probably more accolades for this than any other line. I like that they are moving gradually toward all-inclusive. I just happen to cruise with friends most the time, or my family. I think you were not a happy cruiser on R, or found inconsistencies? That has not been the case for me. But I'm pretty easy to please, and never expect perfection from any line. Disney came pretty close for my grandchildren, however!

And I use more than 60 minutes per day as well, likely because I'm not paying. And have paid for it on Silversea at steep prices. Regents service has been upgraded to a higher bandwidth, btw, but it's still satellite and can be slow at times.

I like Regent, just had one poor experience out of 10 cruises, which is not a big deal. Not a big fan of the included shorex, but that's another topic for another day.

What's the deal on Internet for new Regent passengers? Is it 60 min free time per day for concierge passengers upwards?how is that measured? And can it be used anywhere on the ship? Only 1 device? 60 min per person or per suite?

Also heard that there's free wifi 24/7 from Nov onwards...

The new plan is on the Regent site but, basically it is UP TO 400 minutes per suite for the whole cruise. Doesn't define what determines the amount of minutes anyone gets but, 400 is the max. Am guessing that the length of the cruise as well as the suite category will determine the amount each suite gets.

JHP, as far as Satellite Constellation, a group of satellites providing services are called a Constellation and for things like GPS, there are a bunch of satellites in low earth orbit that appear to go around earth so your GPS which needs at least 4 satellites within view of your GPS to work which means quite a few satellites in a Constellation are required since the satellites are traveling at about 17500 mph so as one satellite goes over the horizon, another one comes up over the opposite horizon to keep your GPS working.

As to internet and TV, those satellites are in orbit above the equator and are quite high, about 22500 miles up and at that height, while they are still moving at about 17500 mph, the circumference of their orbit is such that they are actually stationary in relation to the point of earth below them so that they apear to be stationary in relationship to earth. They each cover a portion of earth so that on board ship, you receive the signal from the same satellite as long as you don't move too far east or west to be out of their range and then you do move out of range, you then pick up the next satellite broadcasting wifi or TV.

In this case, you move from one satellite to another while for GPS the satellite move over your location and change that way. Thus the term constellation for a group of satellites performing the same service.

As to bandwidth from the satellite. The satellites have a lot of bandwidth and it is quite expensive the more bandwidth the user wants to use. Thus it is really not a limitation of bandwidth from the satellites, it is how much do the cruise lines want to pay for how much bandwidth that is limiting us currently. If everyone wants more bandwidth, eventually the satellites will be overloaded. The satellites cannot be updated to increase bandwidth while in orbit but, new replacement satellites can be improved and are as time goes by. The satellites are not cheap. Probably in the range of $100M each with the cost to put in orbit in the same neighborhood $100M so not cost effective to replace the satellites until they have reached the end of their life which is in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 years.

Hope this explanation helps and will answer any further questions. Used to work for NASA so why I understand a lot of this.

Thank you or the detailed explanation - VERY helpful!

(Problem is I'll probably forget it tomorrow.)

But thanks again!

Print it out and read it again when you forget. Also, FYI, the satellites normally don't get replaced when they stop working, the get replaced when they run out of fuel (no misprint). I'll explain for those with interest.

While each satellite over the equator has a specified location longitude wise and there are a limited number of slots as they can't be too close together, they actually move in a figure 8 motion with the crossing point at the specified longitude. This uses fuel for their position jets and eventually they will run out as there is a limit of how heavy they can be to get to that high orbit. Before they run out, they lower their orbits to get them out of the way and another satellite is launched or brought in from a parking orbit to replace the out of fuel one.

Yes, there are spare satellites up there but, they can't be used until another one in the same relative location is out of life and moved out of it's assigned location. Quite a bit of logistics to keep track of all of this and keeping them from running into each other.

Another interesting bit of trivia, because the satellites are so high, there is actually a delay in the signal reaching your TV. Not a large delay as the signal moves at 186,000 miles per second but, noticeable if you can switch from satellite TV to over the air TV and if you put your TV on over the air and then switch to satellite, you will hear a few word you just heard before due to the delay.

Print it out and read it again when you forget. Also, FYI, the satellites normally don't get replaced when they stop working, the get replaced when they run out of fuel (no misprint). I'll explain for those with interest.

While each satellite over the equator has a specified location longitude wise and there are a limited number of slots as they can't be too close together, they actually move in a figure 8 motion with the crossing point at the specified longitude. This uses fuel for their position jets and eventually they will run out as there is a limit of how heavy they can be to get to that high orbit. Before they run out, they lower their orbits to get them out of the way and another satellite is launched or brought in from a parking orbit to replace the out of fuel one.

Yes, there are spare satellites up there but, they can't be used until another one in the same relative location is out of life and moved out of it's assigned location. Quite a bit of logistics to keep track of all of this and keeping them from running into each other.

Another interesting bit of trivia, because the satellites are so high, there is actually a delay in the signal reaching your TV. Not a large delay as the signal moves at 186,000 miles per second but, noticeable if you can switch from satellite TV to over the air TV and if you put your TV on over the air and then switch to satellite, you will hear a few word you just heard before due to the delay.

Thanks for the explanation. I am going to really impress DW when I next speak to her about internet at sea! :D

Funny26, did u also note that beginning Oct 1, 2014 only Seven Seas Society members who are Gold will receive unlimited free wifi. Concierge booked suites still get:

FREE WiFi Internet

The number of FREE Internet minutes received will be based on the length of the voyage, and includes one login per suite that may be used on one device at a time. The login may be shared across a variety of devices.

1-7 nights: 200 minutes

8-10 nights: 300 minutes

11-15 nights: 400 minutes

16+ nights: 500 minutes

Funny26, did u also note that beginning Oct 1, 2014 only Seven Seas Society members who are Gold will receive unlimited free wifi. Concierge booked suites still get:

FREE WiFi Internet

The number of FREE Internet minutes received will be based on the length of the voyage, and includes one login per suite that may be used on one device at a time. The login may be shared across a variety of devices.

1-7 nights: 200 minutes

8-10 nights: 300 minutes

11-15 nights: 400 minutes

16+ nights: 500 minutes

Wes,

One correction. Passengers who obtain Silver status before October 1, 2014 will continue to receive unlimited free wifi. (See footnote at: http://www.rssc.com/seven-seas-society/members-benefits/.)

Crystal is also offering 20 newspapers ( all US papers) free from their server and accessible by IPAD.

Most of the time we were unable to get our free newspaper on the Voyager because of internet difficulties!