Things I love about the QM2

lagunaseas

Barely. The Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side allows an air draft of 206 ft under certain low tide conditions. QM2's air draft is 203 ft. The timing would be tight with little margin for delays.

Yes, I forgot to mention that at low tide passage should be possible, but let's wait and see!

My most favorite thing about the QM2 is that she is a real Transatlantic Liner. Of course my other favorite things about the QM2 is the Commodore Club, the Britannia Restaurant, QM2 Library & Bookstore which does have a lot of Ocean Liner & Cruise Ship books to please the ship geeks like me, the pool located under the dome forward of the funnel, the G32 Club and the Queens Room :) Regards,Jerry

... When we were last on the QM2, we had an inside cabin that was almost the last one at the blunt end. When we left the Commodore and went straight down to our deck, it was such a long way to our cabin it looked like it was almost disappearing over the horizon !
I know exactly what you're saying.

On one QM2 cruise my balcony cabin was only a couple from the aft end of Deck 6... and as I have said before, it was a 1,000 ft walk to the "A" lifts (& Commodore Club)... and a 1,100 ft walk back! ;) :)

Edited by pepperrn

I know exactly what you're saying.

On one QM2 cruise my balcony cabin was only a couple from the aft end of Deck 6... and as I have said before, it was a 1,000 ft walk to the "A" lifts (& Commodore Club)... and a 1,100 ft walk back! ;) :)

But what matters most for staying fit on QM2 is the distance between your cabin and your restaurant.

On QM2 the Commodore Club feels very remote from Decks 2 & 3. It is not easy to get to, requiring a long walk forward to the "A" stairs past both theatres, or a walk though the Kings Court, Winter Garden and past the spa to the outside scenic lifts. Many passengers can't be bothered, and use the many bars on Decks 2 & 3. Because this remoteness, the smaller size of the room, and the the fact that you can't stand in one spot and see the whole lounge, it feels exclusive, intimate, cosy. And because they lower the blinds at night, far warmer and welcoming (no wall of black glass here). It is not the principal bar on board, merely one of several. During the day, the mighty bow is below you, in full view, and many people spend hours simply watching it, esp if it is gently rising and falling. The piano seems less intrusive, the the huge inner curve of the sloping bridge-screen bulkhead is a delight. Access from the outside scenic lifts comes as a surprise to many first-timers. I love the QM2's Commodore Club.

Very good description. I agree with you.

Pepper, I love your synopsis of the Commodore Club! So apt.

I omitted another feature I love about the QM2 ... the spa area ...where I could spend hours floating between the sauna, the steam room, the second sauna with the Scheherazade theme, the jacuzzi pool, and then lounging in the glassed-in relaxation area as the walkers go by, sipping on a glass of juice. Simply sublime ...

And let's not forget the real clotted (sp?) cream served at afternoon tea. Delish ...

Edited by lagunaseas

Pepper, I love your synopsis of the Commodore Club! So apt.
Thank you, very kind :o .

A friend, who was at first slightly disappointed with QM2's Commodore Club (after using QV's version), now, on every crossing goes there soon after sailaway has finished, orders a drink, and says "I'm home" :) .

All good wishes,

lagunaseas,

not sure the clotted cream is "real" -- seems rather more like whipped cream

can someone else confirm? appreciate

It isn't clotted cream, either in the Queens Room or in the Grills. It is a heavy whipped cream that is made to look like clotted cream. It isn't unpleasant but it isn't fantastic either. It's possible that it is an American product that is put in jars and called clotted but it lacks the yellow crust and rich taste of the real McCoy.

lagunaseas,

not sure the clotted cream is "real" -- seems rather more like whipped cream

can someone else confirm? appreciate

Yes, you are right, it IS whipped cream and has always been since I have been on the ship.

Clotted cream and whipped cream - my cat would have taken both!

On QM2 i like: the sheer size, the Queensroom to dance, the Commodore's, the deck 2 reading windows, the horn, the rumble of the diesels when going to the Brittania, the library, the teak decking, the look out, etc...

I also like Kings Court although it seems I'm the only one here on CC. One has just to figure out the stations and all works well. And above that it doesn't look like a pig feed as on the vista class vessels.

Thank you, Pepper, and the very same to you.

Paul

P.S. I also love that QM2 has two completely independent power plants: the four diesels way low in the hull that can generate 67.2 MW and the two turbines on Deck 12 that can generate 50 MW. She could conceivably lose all power because of a catastrophic failure in the electrical distribution system, but probably never because of engine room problems.

That is comforting to know.

I'll put in a plug for the Chart room. Love having a pre-dinner drink there with the sun on the water outside, some music playing....it's perfect.

Also love the views from the outside. I go to the top deck aft, and watch the ocean over the cascading decks below. You feel the power of the ocean but also the beauty of the ship. you don't see a ship design like that anymore...

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

For cruisetrail...

We just found this thread and want to commend you on the superb job you did with the video of your West-bound QM2 Transatlantic voyage. We enjoyed every minute of it and it truly gave us an excellent view of what to expect on our upcoming West-bound TA for the Queen Mary 2's 10th Anniversary. You've helped make our long-awaited trip a reality as we count down the days until May 9th. We have also enjoyed a stay on the stationary Queen Mary and very much appreciated the video comparisons to the QM2's predecessor. Thanks so much for sharing!

Since we've not yet sailed on the QM2 (but have enjoyed the QE2), I don't have any "loves" to offer...except that I "love" the fact that there is still one true Ocean Liner left to cross the Atlantic on and look forward to experiencing that voyage as we think of our immigrant ancestors crossing "the pond" from Europe. We, sadly, missed sailing on the NORWAY (ex-France) back in 2004 because she was removed from service after the boiler explosions and never repaired...it was a very sad day and a cruise that we can never replace. So, our former cruise on the QE2 and our upcoming voyage on the QM2 will have to suffice as our grand ocean trips.

Debjo

Edited by debjo