Things I love about the QM2

lagunaseas

There are only two hosted tables now. The Captains table and the Chief Engineers table. The Captains table remains empty on non formal nights. The Chief Engineers table is a normal table with the guest appearance each Formal night of one of the Heads of an Engineering section. They have a roster. I now have a delightful formal photo of myself with one of them. :).

• 2 weeks later...

Although I'm extremely fortunate to have sailed on the QM2 before, I'm always on the look out for insider tips of places to sit or visit that i perhaps wouldn't have thought of, so keep your thoughts coming please. I'm compiling a list and have just started page 2 :o

Here it is. There are some repeats.

Great list, thanks. I've never taken the Galley Tour but I have taken the Behind the Scenes Tour. It deserves being on the list. It's hard to book, lots of walking and stairs, costs $120 pp; but well worth the expense and effort. Here is what we experienced on that tour on July 10, 2013.

For Happyboating...

Thank you for adding that "link". We found it very helpful!

For babs135...

Thanks for sharing your "list" with us, along with starting this important "thread". If you hadn't initiated this "thread", I probably would have. DH and I love knowing about SPECIAL PLACES on board each ship that we've sailed on. Sometimes it is hard to fit all those special places and things to do in on a 7-day trip, but we try very hard! Sadly, I don't have the proper WORD program in which to "open" your attached file with the important list. Might it be possible for you to add your "list" in it's entirety to this thread?

Debjo

Edited by debjo

Ok, for those who couldn't open the document here it is in its entirety and I apologise for the length, but there is lots to do :D

THINGS TO DO ON THE QM2

Area and window view behind the bridge - Deck 12 forward

galley tour it was fascinating – go to Purser’s deck to book

Afternoon Tea in the Queens Ballroom - Daily at 3:30 pm.

Planetarium at Illusions

Pub Trivia twice daily at the Golden Lion Pub.

Pub Lunch at the Golden Lion - Fish & Chips and Chicken Korma are excellent.

Check your Daily Programme for interesting speakers at Illusions each day.

Forward of Illusions is a great spot to read a book, lovely big windows with views of the ocean.

Take in the sail away from the pool area aft or the sheltered open area on deck 11 forward of the Atlantic room.

Enjoy an evening cocktail in the Commodore Club deck 9 forward and watch the sunset, dont forget to look for the green flash as the sun drops below the horizon

Browse the largest library at sea on deck 8 forward (under the Commodore Club).

I wouldn't miss the Dixie Band in the pub on the last sea day normally at 12.15 for 45 minutes, be there by 12 as it gets crowded. Illuminations is where most of the lectures, movies and planetarium shows take place. Go to deck 2 and 3 forward, take a window seat and see the power of the ocean as the waves rush by a couple of feet below you, if the ocean is being boisterous the waves may even come over the windows.

_____Be sure to get tickets for the planetarium (you need to go early in the morning for tickets) just to be able to say you have been to the only planetarium at sea (and the shows are good).

If you are at all interested in the ship for its own sake, make sure to find the little door that leads into the viewing area behind the bridge. You can see the radar plots and other instrumentation and watch the bridge team engaged in driving the ship. Fascinating stuff.

My personal favourite spot is the observation deck immediately below the bridge. It provides a terrific view forward over the bow and is a great place to be when entering and leaving NYC and Soton.

You certainly won't have a problem being bored! On some TAs we have been running to watch certain lectures or the jazz band in the pub, lol. Keep your daily programme with you to make sure you don't miss anything. On our first TA I circled everything of interest us with a pen. We were shattered. It's hard work on a crossing.

watching a stirred-up sea from the windows at the front of deck 2.

I'll put in a plug for the Chart room. Love having a pre-dinner drink there with the sun on the water outside, some music playing....it's perfect.

Also love the views from the outside. I go to the top deck aft, and watch the ocean over the cascading decks below. You feel the power of the ocean but also the beauty of the ship. you don't see a ship design like that anymore

Great list, thanks. I've never taken the Galley Tour but I have taken the Behind the Scenes Tour. It deserves being on the list. It's hard to book, lots of walking and stairs, costs $120 pp; but well worth the expense and effort. Here is what we experienced on that tour on July 10, 2013.

I agree with this ... I really enjoyed the tour. It lasts about 4 hours so its well worth the money.

Loved the Behind the Scenes Tour we've just completed. It's never advertised. You just have to have heard about it. Sold out before the tour desk actually opened for the day.

Really like the pin, photo, certificate, chefs hat and information about the ship that we received.

The Galley Tour attracted a lot of people too.

Edited by Pushka

Loved the Behind the Scenes Tour we've just completed. It's never advertised. You just have to have heard about it. Sold out before the tour desk actually opened for the day.

Really like the pin, photo, certificate, chefs hat and information about the ship that we received.

The Galley Tour attracted a lot of people too.

So how did you manage to book it and when? How often do they do them? :)

Once per TA or per sector on a WC. Booked at the Tour desk on the first sea day. But that might not always be the same. Ask as soon as the Tour Desk opens when you embark. There is no info online about it.

Even when your name is down they don't confirm it until you receive a confirmation letter and you aren't charged. I'm thinking there might be a security check done first. Just a thought.

Edited by Pushka

• 4 months later...

Last post was April, so I've bumped it up in the hope that people will add more to the list :D

Ok, for those who couldn't open the document here it is in its entirety and I apologise for the length, but there is lots to do :D

THINGS TO DO ON THE QM2

Planetarium at Illusions

Forward of Illusions is a great spot to read a book, lovely big windows with views of the ocean.

Take in the sail away from the pool area aft or the sheltered open area on deck 11 forward of the Atlantic room.

Enjoy an evening cocktail in the Commodore Club deck 9 forward and watch the sunset, dont forget to look for the green flash as the sun drops below the horizon

I wouldn't miss the Dixie Band in the pub on the last sea day normally at 12.15 for 45 minutes, be there by 12 as it gets crowded. Illuminations is where most of the lectures, movies and planetarium shows take place. Go to deck 2 and 3 forward, take a window seat and see the power of the ocean as the waves rush by a couple of feet below you, if the ocean is being boisterous the waves may even come over the windows.

_____Be sure to get tickets for the planetarium (you need to go early in the morning for tickets) just to be able to say you have been to the only planetarium at sea (and the shows are good).

If you are at all interested in the ship for its own sake, make sure to find the little door that leads into the viewing area behind the bridge. You can see the radar plots and other instrumentation and watch the bridge team engaged in driving the ship. Fascinating stuff.

My personal favourite spot is the observation deck immediately below the bridge. It provides a terrific view forward over the bow and is a great place to be when entering and leaving NYC and Soton.

You certainly won't have a problem being bored! On some TAs we have been running to watch certain lectures or the jazz band in the pub, lol. Keep your daily programme with you to make sure you don't miss anything. On our first TA I circled everything of interest us with a pen. We were shattered. It's hard work on a crossing.

I'll put in a plug for the Chart room. Love having a pre-dinner drink there with the sun on the water outside, some music playing....it's perfect.

Also love the views from the outside. I go to the top deck aft, and watch the ocean over the cascading decks below. You feel the power of the ocean but also the beauty of the ship. you don't see a ship design like that anymore

Thank you for bumping up this thread as I hadn't noticed it before.

Back to the original question, even when I have just disembarked from a great cruise ship and a wonderful cruise, to step onboard the QM2 is like a feeling of coming home. I relax instantly. I love the wide corridors in the centre. My husband loves the sound and vibration of the engines(I think) along the Deck 2 wide corridor.

I love that there are many places where it is possible to sit, relax and just look at the sea. Many ships have sacrificed that luxury with the relentless appetite for balconies and extra passengers.

This is also someting I love. So many different places to sit, relax, people watch etc. We were onboard the Crown Princess for a TA last year and it felt overrun with passengers and it was alays a problem finding somewhereto sit. Maybe would be fine on hot sunny days when many people are outside sunbathing, but for a TA it just felt so busy busy. Almost always had to share a table in the buffet for B/F and lunch on that ship which you don't have to do on the QM2, (even if the layout isn't good).

QM2 is my favourite ship so far though we have only sailed on 5:rolleyes:

The Commodore Club is my favourite spot. Love the lectures in Illuminations and afternoon tea is delicious.[/quote

Having sailed on both Queen Mary (since 2004) and Queen Victoria there is no doubt that the Commodore Club on Queen Victoria is much more spacious and better designed. The theatre on Queen Victoria is also more beautiful and better designed than the one on Queen Mary with its obstructing pillars.

The Lido buffet restaurant on Queen Victoria is an object lesson on how it should be compared to the appalling King's Court on Queen Mary.

The library on Queen Victoria must be the most beautiful at sea and the Chart Room and Golden Lion are also an improvement. On deck there are more than ample sun loungers and chairs for everyone etc etc etc. The list goes on. So,perhaps it's time to cast off the rose-coloured glasses. Yes, the QM2 is more stable in the Atlantic but for the past 17 days it's been as smooth as a mill-pond on the Queen Victoria

There's more to Cunard than just the Queen Mary - iconic as it is.

We love the OV, sounds like we would be disappointed by OM2. REading this tread, to consider booking the OM@.

• 3 months later...

With less than 6 weeks to go, not that l'm counting, bumping this up in case anybody has anything else to add. Cheers:D

THINGS TO DO ON THE QM2

Planetarium at Illusions