Things I love about the QM2

lagunaseas

Sir Samuel's is one of my favorite places, in the morning. I like to drink a real espresso there, served exactly as it should be, with a glass of fresh water and small coffee cakes. I' m always amazed to see my coffee never moving in the cup, even under a 9 or 10 force gale. And (would my beloved QE2 pardon me!) I love to sleep like a baby without hearing the hull cracking all night long!

Being french but enjoying traditionnal british food, I love afternoon tea and.......the ploughman's lunch served in the pub!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

I love the observation deck on Deck 11 forward, and spent a lot of time out there on our January TA. It never fails to remind me that I'm on a REAL ship!

Yes -- me too - and for the same reason.

BUT - did I read somewhere (here??) that it is to be done away with???

Barry

Being transported back in time; feeling like it is a second home after 13 voyages; ballroom dancing every night; string quartets in the different venues; best passenger to space ratio I have seen on any line; the Golden Lion; the fact they don't interrupt you to announce bingo; the sound of the little 3 note chime for the captain to give a noon positioning report; the bath salts; Battenberg cake at afternoon tea.

And having just come off the Disney Magic, I will just chalk that up to an aberration never to happen again. :rolleyes:

Barely. The Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side allows an air draft of 206 ft under certain low tide conditions. QM2's air draft is 203 ft. The timing would be tight with little margin for delays.

Getting back on topic I love her teak wood promenade deck. The ability to walk or jog endlessly gives her the feeling of endless space. And when I open my balcony door there is the majestic Atlantic - not neighboring cell blocks or a retail shop patio.

The canal is no piece of cake for the QE either! I remember one very long day in the eighties when she got caty whompus in the Pedro Miguel locks!

It took all day to get her squared away, tiny increment by tiny increment.

I am loving this thread, and the promenade deck sounds wonderful. Can't wait for September 27th!

For Pushka...

Please explain "hosted tables". We've been on several cruises, including one on the former QE2, but haven't heard of "hosted tables" before.

Debjo

A hosted table is where on formal nights an officer sits at your table and provides all the drinks. They are excellent company and have wonderful stories to tell. There are maybe three on QM2 and only on late sitting.

For Pushka...

Please explain "hosted tables". We've been on several cruises, including one on the former QE2, but haven't heard of "hosted tables" before. Debjo

Hi debjo,

I hope you don't mind me answering your question (?). I was on a "hosted table" in 2007 on QM2 in the Caribbean (there was a mix-up between shore-side and the ship about my seating request for dinner and so the maitre 'd moved me to a hosted table for eight (I was travelling as a single passenger in an inside cabin, and on only my third voyage)). An officer joined the table on formal nights (a different officer each time) and (as Pushka says) ordered wine for the entire table. They were very entertaining, excellent hosts. We had a complimentary photograph taken of us with the Staff Captain one evening (and copies presented to each of us the following day). We were invited (with other passengers on hosted tables) to a cocktail party in G32 hosted by Commodore Warner. We were also invited to tour the bridge (this was long before the introduction of the (extra charge) "Back of Scenes" tour that is now available). I had a great time, we were all treated very well and, in my case, all because of a little mistake ;) .

I hope this helps, and Pushka won't mind me adding my memories :) .

Edited by pepperrn

For pepperrn & puska,

Thanks for those answers. It sounds like it would be nice to dine at a "hosted table" with an officer. I can imagine that the conversations would be very interesting.

Debjo

How do you get an invite to a hosted table? I must point out that I'm quite prepared to grovel for such a privilege:D

It's a random thing. I'd heard of them before but no one else at the table had. It is indeed a privilege. And I've got 7 formal nights on this voyage. A rare treat.

I like the beautiful Britannia Dinning Room.

The aft decks , reminiscent of

Leonardo Da Vinci.

The Commodore

The way the Qm2 sails the seas.

Should it not be Leonardo Da Bacchereto? Because history may have it all wrong!;)

The closest we have been to a hosted table is a table to the side of the Captain's table, in a corner next to the tapestry. It was interesting to watch the behaviour. The table remained empty on the non-hosted evenings. I felt like nipping across and borrowing the flowers. There were other hosted tables nearby but they were used all the time.