The Trace Cruise that Wasn't....am I being unreasonable?

Fydlstyx

I was on board the NCL Pearl during the Country Cruise. As compensation for Trace leaving the ship, his representatives have offered everyone on board a ticket to a future concert and a meet and greet opportunity. This is great. However, I believe that the travel agency will be reimbursed by Trace's camp, and that the money refunded to the agency should also be shared with the passengers who paid a great deal of money to be on the cruise.

There are some who believe the concert ticket should be enough. I feel justified in asking for a partial refund.

What are your thoughts?

I did a search for that cruise and it looks like there were other performers and shows. Did you go to their shows? Have a nice cabin to sleep in? All your meals? All of the ports that were included in the 7 day trip?

Since you only missed out on one performers shows I think that the offer of tickets to a concert, etc. was pretty nice.

I did a search for that cruise and it looks like there were other performers and shows. Did you go to their shows? Have a nice cabin to sleep in? All your meals? All of the ports that were included in the 7 day trip?

Since you only missed out on one performers shows I think that the offer of tickets to a concert, etc. was pretty nice.

Yes, we enjoyed a lot of the cruise, and that is why I don't feel entitled to a FULL refund. It wasn't just a show that was missed by Trace leaving the ship. The artists actually spent a fair amount of time mingling with passengers, and there was a photo meet and greet, so I feel like I missed out on that entire experience, you know?

Should the travel agency simply keep the money refunded by Trace Adkins as profit? It had to cost a small fortune to book him to be on the ship the entire week.

I agree that the offer of a ticket to a future show (provided by Trace Adkins) is a nice gesture, and I appreciate it.

While I enjoyed many of the other musical guests, I would never have even considered booking the cruise had Trace not been a part of it. The cruisers seem to be split into two camps, with one group being satisfied with the ticket offer, and one group believing we deserve some monetary compensation.

Thanks for responding. :)

I would find comparable cruises and see how much MORE I paid for the Trace cruise. If the price was $200 more than a comparable sailing, I think I'd be asking the travel agency for a partial refund.

Oh, it was QUITE a bit more than $200 more. :rolleyes: Thanks for the input.

Will you ever actually be able to use the concert ticket? If similar happened to us, I know the "free" concert ticket would be of no use.

IMHO that is no compensation at all. I think the organizers owe you cash. I can't figure out, though, how to calculate the amount. Any idea what his fee was for the cruise? Maybe that amount divided by the # of pax as a refund to each passenger would be fair. And they can keep the offer of a concert ticket ;)

Will you ever actually be able to use the concert ticket? If similar happened to us, I know the "free" concert ticket would be of no use.

IMHO that is no compensation at all. I think the organizers owe you cash. I can't figure out, though, how to calculate the amount. Any idea what his fee was for the cruise? Maybe that amount divided by the # of pax as a refund to each passenger would be fair. And they can keep the offer of a concert ticket ;)

I will probably be able to use the ticket, but will have to purchase another one in order to have someone go with me.

I have the same issue you mention about trying to determine what a fair amount for a refund is, because I have no idea what it cost to have Trace there. The ticket was a nice gesture, and came from Trace's people. That's why I think the travel agency still owes us all something. I am sure they will be refunded the money they paid to have Trace headline, so it just seems obvious that they should be paying some of that back to the passengers (obvious to me, anyway).

Seeing you say you can use the ticket, I consider that ample.

Life is full of small disappointments. Someone does not always have to 'pay' for them. IMO

Hopefully you had a fun cruise and enjoyed all else........ or most of the 'else'.

No one will go through this life without sometimes not getting every single tiny thing we expect. This is one of those times you did not get a check mark beside every feature you expected. In the whole scheme of your cruise, did it make THat big a difference?

I sincerely hope not.

Hopefully you will use the concert ticket and have a great time.

Edited by sail7seas

Just curious, why would the TA be re-imbursed?

The TA should be reimbursed because they booked Trace and he did not fulfill his obligation. It was a charter cruise. There's no way they are going to allow him to keep the money they paid him after the fiasco that caused him to leave the ship. If it had been something beyond his control, like illness, maybe there would be some disagreement about that, but I can't imagine Trace's reps even TRYING to keep the money he was paid.

I will probably be able to use the ticket, but will have to purchase another one in order to have someone go with me.

I have the same issue you mention about trying to determine what a fair amount for a refund is, because I have no idea what it cost to have Trace there. The ticket was a nice gesture, and came from Trace's people. That's why I think the travel agency still owes us all something. I am sure they will be refunded the money they paid to have Trace headline, so it just seems obvious that they should be paying some of that back to the passengers (obvious to me, anyway).

If part of what the agency paid was passed on to you the passenger then your case is probably stronger, if they did not then your case is weaker.

Seeing you say you can use the ticket, I consider that ample.

Life is full of small disappointments. Someone does not always have to 'pay' for them. IMO

Hopefully you had a fun cruise and enjoyed all else........ or most of the 'else'.

No one will go through this life without sometimes not getting every single tiny thing we expect. This is one of those times you did not get a check mark beside every feature you expected. In the whole scheme of your cruise, did it make THat big a difference?

I sincerely hope not.

Hopefully you will use the concert ticket and have a great time.

Well, it really DID make that big a difference, as I would never have booked the cruise if he was not on it. It was very expensive, and I only spent the money because Trace Adkins was a part of the cruise. So it wasn't a small thing like the pools not being filled, or not having lobster night or something like that. :)

Certainly there are many disappointments in life, and no one has to pay for all of them. I understand what you are saying there. However, do you believe the TA should keep the money that will be refunded to them as profit? That hardly seems fair, either.

Well, it really DID make that big a difference, as I would never have booked the cruise if he was not on it. It was very expensive, and I only spent the money because Trace Adkins was a part of the cruise. So it wasn't a small thing like the pools not being filled, or not having lobster night or something like that. :)

Certainly there are many disappointments in life, and no one has to pay for all of them. I understand what you are saying there. However, do you believe the TA should keep the money that will be refunded to them as profit? That hardly seems fair, either.

So it sounds like you don't even know if the TA is being refunded, right? You are not aware of that contract, or whether or not Trace was even paid prior to the cruise, etc. So you might be demanding something that doesn't even exist. I agree with the previous poster that said things are not always fair. You did not book a Trace Adkins cruise. You booked a Country Music cruise, and it sounds like you completed one.

Using your example, what if I went on a cruise that was supposed to have the pool filled, but for some reason they didn't. Afterwards, can I complain and say the only reason I went on the cruise was for the pool, or I wouldn't have booked it? I doubt it.

Edited by LrgPizza

If the organizers are getting a refund, or if the organizers never paid him for his appearance, IMHO you are due some sort of cash refund.

Most of us realize life is full of both big and small disappointments. We paid a small fortune to buy tickets to see Van Morrison, board the dogs, rent a hotel room in the city where he was appearing, drive for two hours each way, and feed ourselves. We could have done a 7-day Caribbean cruise for what we paid to see him perform. He stunk. The show stunk. We were out a lot of money, but we actually DID see Van Morrison perform.

Here, though, part of what you were sold was Trace Adkins' performance. So you did not get part of what you paid for. I'm pretty sure none of the advertising said simply "Country Music Cruise". I'll bet all the advertising said "Featuring Trace Adkins and...."

Maybe googling "trace adkins appearance fee" will give you some idea of the amount he was probably paid but did not earn for your cruise.

And for anyone who is thinking "yes but the poster got to be on a ship, eat food, enjoy the ocean, the rest of the performers", yes absolutely all of that. The OP isn't asking for a full refund.

It looks like there were a number if other performers on the cruise, not just this one. I also see that his people are offering not just a concert ticket, but also a backstage pass and a chance to meet the performer.

Yes, the prices are a little higher than the average cruise on a Royal ship, but I know of a few others that are similarly priced group cruises. I'm looking at one that is about $450 per person higher than just the cruise the weeks before and after for next year. It is a group of people I want to cruise with, though, so I'm willing to pay it.

I do believe you are being unreasonable in asking for a partial refund. You attended or had the opportunity to attend performances by other singers.

Maybe you might ask for a second ticket, since you need one for a partner to attend the make-up concert, but I wouldn't expect a cash refund. If you do get a refund, I wouldn't expect more than $75 per person, and that instead of the concert ticket once he returns to performing.

It looks like there were a number if other performers on the cruise, not just this one. I also see that his people are offering not just a concert ticket, but also a backstage pass and a chance to meet the performer.

Yes, the prices are a little higher than the average cruise on a Royal ship, but I know of a few others that are similarly priced group cruises. I'm looking at one that is about $450 per person higher than just the cruise the weeks before and after for next year. It is a group of people I want to cruise with, though, so I'm willing to pay it.

I do believe you are being unreasonable in asking for a partial refund. You attended or had the opportunity to attend performances by other singers.

Maybe you might ask for a second ticket, since you need one for a partner to attend the make-up concert, but I wouldn't expect a cash refund. If you do get a refund, I wouldn't expect more than $75 per person, and that instead of the concert ticket once he returns to performing.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I appreciate all of the civil responses I've gotten from CC members, even if they don't match my opinion. :) To clarify, a meet and greet was also part of the package ON the cruise, as was the opportunity to socialize with the artists around the ship. I do not know how prices compare between NCL and Royal Caribbean, as I have never sailed on or looked into a RCC cruise, and am not sure what relevance that has.

The main reason I feel passengers are entitled to a partial cash refund is that obviously the TA is not going to pay for an appearance that did not happen, and I feel they owe it to passengers to give some of that back rather than keep it as profit.

Some people from the cruise are already attempting to schedule a show to use their comped tickets and I think that's a bad idea. If the man is in rehab, I don't think planning to see him in a month is wise, as those shows will likely be canceled. I do not know if there is an expiration on the comped tickets, as information has not exactly been free flowing. We'll find out, I guess! Hopefully, he will do a show in my area so that I would not have to incur travel expenses to redeem that ticket!

Have fun on your cruise! I already wish I could schedule another one (not a chartered cruise, though....I think I have had enough of that for a while!).

Again not knowing the financial agreement between the cruise line & the performer you are guessing about refunds. He was probably not paid prior to the cruise. There are usually different clauses which very well could have split up his portion of the $ and given it to the rest of the performers.

Also on all those cruises (or any event like that) there's always a disclaimer from the promoter which says something like 'scheduled to appear' or 'performers subject to change' - this is their way to cover themselves in case of having to make a line-up change.

Sorry, NCL... Not Royal.

Most of the time, similar cruises leaving from FL and going to the Caribbean run very similarly priced no matter which if the mass market lines you are sailing on.

I wish you luck getting what you want. If the travel agent wont go for money back, perhaps you might ask the travel agency for a perk for a future cruise booked through them, if you want to take a non-charter cruise? They might be willing to give you either a discount or some OBC on a future cruise. You could then take a trip at a time and place good for you.

Sorry, NCL... Not Royal.

Most of the time, similar cruises leaving from FL and going to the Caribbean run very similarly priced no matter which if the mass market lines you are sailing on.

I wish you luck getting what you want. If the travel agent wont go for money back, perhaps you might ask the travel agency for a perk for a future cruise booked through them, if you want to take a non-charter cruise? They might be willing to give you either a discount or some OBC on a future cruise. You could then take a trip at a time and place good for you.

Those are good suggestions. Thanks.

I have always thought RCC was higher priced. I do not know why, since I have never checked into them at all!

In addition to your passage contract with the cruise line, you probably had a contract with the agency that organized the charter. That likely spells out what is or is not refundable for an incomplete Country Music cruise. My experience is they say 'performers subject to change' and that pretty much means you don't get to seek anything for the absence of Adkins; which is why many folks are tickled with the concert ticket that his people voluntarily provided. Check your agency booking agreement to see what yours says, but that is the document that spells it out.

The contract between Adkins and the booking agency is unknown to you, so don't waste your time speculating. Perhaps unfair, but legal and fair are not equivalent concepts.

The Trace Cruise that Wasn't....am I being unreasonable?

if you have to ask.. you probably are. but, see below

I was on a plane with Trace and he was 1 of 2 people in first class. After he talked with the other passenger he asked the stewardess to move all the service people (there were at least a dz) up into the first class area. they were thrilled.

but, this must have been while he was sober..

Trace was headlining a country cruise headed to Jamaica. He was in the bar when something happened between him and a Trace impersonator who was doing Karaoke. Trace -- who had been sober for 12 years -- had fallen off the wagon and got into a physical fight with the impersonator.

We're told once the boat docked in Jamaica ... Trace jumped ship. We're told he's now in rehab.

no wonder he is giving tickets to those HE screwed. I would insist on more then just a free ticket which really doesn't cost him anything.

In addition to your passage contract with the cruise line, you probably had a contract with the agency that organized the charter. That likely spells out what is or is not refundable for an incomplete Country Music cruise. My experience is they say 'performers subject to change' and that pretty much means you don't get to seek anything for the absence of Adkins; which is why many folks are tickled with the concert ticket that his people voluntarily provided. Check your agency booking agreement to see what yours says, but that is the document that spells it out.

The contract between Adkins and the booking agency is unknown to you, so don't waste your time speculating. Perhaps unfair, but legal and fair are not equivalent concepts.

that would imply they substituted a performer of equal value not because a performer got trashed, got in a fight and then took himself off the ship. sounds like he might not be performing anytime soon. why do these 'stars' always run and hide in rehab?

Edited by Sherlock43031

I was on board the NCL Pearl during the Country Cruise. As compensation for Trace leaving the ship, his representatives have offered everyone on board a ticket to a future concert and a meet and greet opportunity. This is great. However, I believe that the travel agency will be reimbursed by Trace's camp, and that the money refunded to the agency should also be shared with the passengers who paid a great deal of money to be on the cruise.

There are some who believe the concert ticket should be enough. I feel justified in asking for a partial refund.

What are your thoughts?

You say you booked this cruise for this performer. His representatives have offered a free ticket and 'meet and greet' at a concert in the future, thereby honoring the price you may have paid for seeing him. If you are telling us the truth about him being the reason for booking this cruise, you should be satisfied with the future ticket since you will be seeing him later. That you had the rest of the cruise to enjoy, you haven't lost much, if anything - the cruise wasn't cancelled, only his performance was cancelled due to his own stupidity. Asking for a refund is getting a bit greedy if you really wanted to see him perform. Your future concert ticket will give you that same opportunity, and that should be enough. Asking for a refund suggests he wasn't the real reason for booking this cruise, and now you want to cash in on what you see as an opportunity to make a few bucks.

Edited by fortinweb

You say you booked this cruise for this performer. His representatives have offered a free ticket and 'meet and greet' at a concert in the future, thereby honoring the price you may have paid for seeing him. If you are telling us the truth about him being the reason for booking this cruise, you should be satisfied with the future ticket since you will be seeing him later. That you had the rest of the cruise to enjoy, you haven't lost much, if anything - the cruise wasn't cancelled, only his performance was cancelled due to his own stupidity. Asking for a refund is getting a bit greedy if you really wanted to see him perform. Your future concert ticket will give you that same opportunity, and that should be enough. Asking for a refund suggests he wasn't the real reason for booking this cruise, and now you want to cash in on what you see as an opportunity to make a few bucks.

this assumes he will be performing somewhere convenient for her.

FEB 08 GREAT AMERICAN OUTDOOR SHOW HARRISBURG, PA

FEB 18 SAN ANTONIO STOCK SHOW & RODEO SAN ANTONIO, TX

MAY 30 HARD ROCK HOTEL & CASINO BILOXI, MS

AUG 12 THE WYOMING STATE FAIR DOUGLAS, WY

Edited by Sherlock43031