Princess Balsamic Vinagrette Recipe?

JustinPlusLauren

We absolutely loved the balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing that we ate on board Princess this past week - we ate salads every single day with it! Now we're going through withdrawal. I even bought balsamic dressing at the grocery store today and it totally didn't live up to Princess'! The dressing on board was like...really thick compared to what I can buy in a bottle here. Does anyone have the recipe for it? I would love to make my own! I tried asking on the Princess Facebook page but haven't received a reply. Thanks!!

You can easily make your own balsamic vinaigrette by googling recipes online. I make my own and my family loves it. Much better than anything you can buy. However, I do remember this dressing on Princess and loved it, too!

Not sure how they got it so thick - probably with gums and thickeners that are not good for us, but it sure tasted good!

As an FYI, the Princess honey mustard dressing in the dining room is delicious. They don't promote it but it's a light mustardy dressing. Not thick or heavy. I often order a large salad with grilled chicken and honey mustard dressing for my entree. :)

I make my own balsamic dressing with blueberry balsamic vinegar. When refrigerated it becomes very thick. I buy my balsamic vinegars at a specialty olive oil and vinegar store. You might want to look for one in your area. You can sample all the different olive oils and vinegars. You

might find something that reminds you of theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

As an FYI, the Princess honey mustard dressing in the dining room is delicious. They don't promote it but it's a light mustardy dressing. Not thick or heavy. I often order a large salad with grilled chicken and honey mustard dressing for my entree. :)

Yes Pam, I like that one too! On the Crown we had a creamy Italian that was yummy, but is not offered on all ships.

This just proves how subjective food opinions can be.

We were on the Emerald and Ruby this month, and the one thing we were both disappointed in was the salad dressings. We thought they were slightly better on the Ruby, but we didn't find one we really liked. I thought most of them tasted like bottled dressing--especially the ranch dressing. I look forward to a big salad for lunch every day, and I didn't enjoy them as much because of the dressing. We used the balsamic, but only because there wasn't much choice. Some days it was fairly thin, other days it was very thick, but it was never like the balsamic that they used to make. In the past there has usually been a special dressing every day or so, but even the waiters in the mdr told us that it was the same thing every night. Occasionally I saw a different dressing in HC, but most of those tasted bottled, too.

This sounds delicious. Have you ordered this for lunch or dinner or either? My DH and I enjoy dinner every evening in the dining room but sometimes I just don't want a big heavy meal. I could see myself enjoying this instead.

Save yourself and your house from vinegar steam. This product is great, and probably what they use. It's organic, made in Italy, and not too sweet and not too sour.

You can find it at Costco or Amazon.

I love the bottle too by the way!

And it's thick. I currently have 6 bottles in my cupboard and I'm a finicky foodie. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Acetum-Blaze-Balsamic-Glaze-Count/dp/B005UMR80I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1391275042&sr=8-5&keywords=balsamic+glaze

Edited by Amuse Bouche
Added comment

The balsamic vinaigrette served in the Princess MDRs is wonderful.

I was disappointed during my two 4-day cruises on Ruby in Dec and Jan that up in Horizon Court, there wasn't any low fat Italian or balsamic dressings at any meal. They did have bottles of olive oil and balsamic vinegar to make your own dressing. But the only low fat was Bleu Cheese. Really? Usually, they have at least a low fat Italian dressing.

This sounds delicious. Have you ordered this for lunch or dinner or either? My DH and I enjoy dinner every evening in the dining room but sometimes I just don't want a big heavy meal. I could see myself enjoying this instead.
Whenever I can, lunch or dinner. I had it twice as my entree on my 4-day cruise last week and have it frequently on my longer cruises. I've even ordered shrimp cocktail on the side without sauce and put those in. :) Another favorite is to order a chef's salad as my entree but that has to be done the night before. I then order just a simple appetizer and sorbet for dessert. :) Sometimes, I just order the entree meat without any sauce along with steamed vegetables and maybe a baked potato rather than creamy vegetables or potato. I don't feel I lose anything in taste and often, it's even better! Edited by Pam in CA

The thicker versions are usually a standard vinagrette thickened by flour or corn starch.. You can also use Guar gum, even mustard or egg yolk as thickener.

Whatever they use onboard is not thickened with flour because it is the only dressing they said was Gluten Free. Probably thickened with Xantham or Guar gum, as are most GF dressings.

Save yourself and your house from vinegar steam. This product is great, and probably what they use. It's organic, made in Italy, and not too sweet and not too sour.

And it's thick. I currently have 6 bottles in my cupboard and I'm a finicky foodie. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Acetum-Blaze-Balsamic-Glaze-Count/dp/B005UMR80I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1391275042&sr=8-5&keywords=balsamic+glaze

This is not what they use onboard. The stuff onboard is much lighter in color than stuff. This is a balsamic reduction, which you can easily make by boiling balsamic vinegar. I make a reduction to use on Asparagus and its great with strawberries too. When it is boiled down to a thick syrup consistency it is really sweet.

Whenever I can, lunch or dinner. I had it twice as my entree on my 4-day cruise last week and have it frequently on my longer cruises. I've even ordered shrimp cocktail on the side without sauce and put those in. :) Another favorite is to order a chef's salad as my entree but that has to be done the night before. I then order just a simple appetizer and sorbet for dessert. :) Sometimes, I just order the entree meat without any sauce along with steamed vegetables and maybe a baked potato rather than creamy vegetables or potato. I don't feel I lose anything in taste and often, it's even better!

More great suggestions! After all these cruises, even though I am always happy with my dinner choices, I start to get tired of heavy meals every night. I eat a lot of salads at home for dinner (with chicken, shrimp, etc) but I also like the idea of requesting the entree meat without the sauces and just some steamed veggies.

I have never seen this at costco. Does it have any added sugar or is it just vinegar? Seems kind of expensive too!

This is not what they use onboard. The stuff onboard is much lighter in color than stuff. This is a balsamic reduction, which you can easily make by boiling balsamic vinegar. I make a reduction to use on Asparagus and its great with strawberries too. When it is boiled down to a thick syrup consistency it is really sweet.

That's a black plastic shrink label, but you're right it's a reduction. I've made a lot of reductions, but prefer to only for special occasions. I don't care to reduce vinegar, it scorches the sinuses. :rolleyes:

This is a good hassle free product and is wonderful on asparagus. They use grape must in it. It gives it a nice little fruity taste.

Pam is quite correct - the honey mustard dressing is excellent! We often order the Caesar salad with no anchovies (I am vegetarian) and with the honey mustard dressing instead of the Caesar dressing. It is really good that way.

P&J