Must do in alaska

New2cruise1483

I just booked our first alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Pearl for May 31, 2015. We are doing Glacier Bay with stops in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria, BC. I'm just curious about what people consider the "must dos" in each port. We are looking at whale watching in Juneau and possibly halibut fishing in Ketchikan. Any feedback on these? Thanks in advance?:)

I know in Victoria, Buchart Gardens is really pretty(don't know if I spelled that correctly) and we did the whitepass in Skagway. Love Glacier Trekking in Juneau, but think you already have that port taken care of. You'll love alaska.

I would research fishing in Ketchikan during your time period. I cruise a lot at the end of May/first of June and have spoken to several who spent $$$$ on fishing excursions and did not catch a thing. They were extremely disappointed and wished they had chosen something else. I am not a fishing person but have yet to meet anyone who was successful during that time period. It would be worth double checking.

I would research fishing in Ketchikan during your time period. I cruise a lot at the end of May/first of June and have spoken to several who spent $$$$ on fishing excursions and did not catch a thing. They were extremely disappointed and wished they had chosen something else. I am not a fishing person but have yet to meet anyone who was successful during that time period. It would be worth double checking.

Our Alaska cruise was the last week of May /first week of June (shoulder season, great rates) and we saw huge Halibut being brought into Seward. I'm not sure how far they go out, but fishing is never guaranteed as far as I am aware. My limited time in Alaska would not be fishing and I take my boys to our local pond quite often. Our best excursions were taking the train up into the mountains to the Canadian border, doing a wild salmon bake, and checking out mountain goats, puffins and sea lions on a boat trip. I can't remember what we did at what stop, but the memories of the activities are great! I would be bummed paying hundreds to fish and not catching anything. It's a risk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Re: fishing -- My DH has gone fishing in every Alaskan port in nine cruises and has always been happy with his catch and the experience. Now, he is strictly catch and release and prefers fresh water to salt water, but even I caught Dolly Varden last May in Sitka.

You might want to check out the fresh water and salt water fish timing info from Alaska Fish and Game to increase your chances. Good Luck!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSportFishingInforuntiming.main&chart=runktks

Crab fishing on the Aleutian Ballad of TV "Deadliest Catch" fame is a must and is the highest rated excursion on the cruise ship itinerary. Lots of eagles and you get to touch the live crab that is pulled up from water. The ship feeds eagles in a wildlife preserve and they swoop down to the water just a few yards off the side of the ship.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=529

I just booked our first alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Pearl for May 31, 2015. We are doing Glacier Bay with stops in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria, BC. I'm just curious about what people consider the "must dos" in each port. We are looking at whale watching in Juneau and possibly halibut fishing in Ketchikan. Any feedback on these? Thanks in advance?:)

For the first time cruiser(s) to Alaska, I would recommend these "must dos":

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway: White Pass railway

Ketchikan: Creek Street

Victoria: Buchart Gardens

Cruising Alaska is like trying to eat just one peanut....you know there will be more coming. After seeing these iconic landmarks you can always do the more exhilirating excursions: fishing, ziplining, hiking, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

We did that cruise on the Pearl 2 yrs. ago at the end of May & loved every minute of it. Highlights were of course Glacier Bay but also loved whale watching in Juneau & White Pass Railway in Skagway. The Pearl is a beautiful ship & NCL does a great job

We did that cruise on the Pearl 2 yrs. ago at the end of May & loved every minute of it. Highlights were of course Glacier Bay but also loved whale watching in Juneau & White Pass Railway in Skagway. The Pearl is a beautiful ship & NCL does a great job

How was the weather that time of year? I'm a little worried about that weather being really rainy.

Weather was beautiful. Only had rain in Juneau and a little misty in Glacier Bay. Only place that we needed a large jacket was in Glacier Bay. We wore sweatshirts on most excursions. We plan on returning to Alaska but this time doing NCL cruisetour and we will go at the end of May again.

. The ship feeds eagles in a wildlife preserve and they swoop down to the water just a few yards off the side of the ship.

no, no, no, not a wildlife preserve, an area that is outside of federal and state environmental regulations. acclimating wild animals to be fed by humans is called a zoo. seattle has a nice one.

for fishing in ketchikan, i'd go salmon over halibut. Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, and Juneau all have their king salmon derbies during may and the first part of june. i don't think they picked that time to be cruel and not have anyone catch fish.

a reminder, your fishing charter may be for six persons, but if trolling only four persons will have lines in the water, two off the stern and one off the port and one off the starboard side. know before you go.

no, no, no, not a wildlife preserve, an area that is outside of federal and state environmental regulations. acclimating wild animals to be fed by humans is called a zoo. seattle has a nice one.

for fishing in ketchikan, i'd go salmon over halibut. Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, and Juneau all have their king salmon derbies during may and the first part of june. i don't think they picked that time to be cruel and not have anyone catch fish.

a reminder, your fishing charter may be for six persons, but if trolling only four persons will have lines in the water, two off the stern and one off the port and one off the starboard side. know before you go.

Why salmon over halibut? Just asking because we were considering halibut because we can fish for salmon a few hours from where we live but not halibut :):p.

Why salmon over halibut? Just asking because we were considering halibut because we can fish for salmon a few hours from where we live but not halibut :):p.

Just betting the odds on the info you provided

-Ketchikan is not known for halibut

-May/June is a couple of months too early for halibut in southeast

depends if you want to go fishing or catching.

We have been to Alaska twice and enjoyed both cruises. Both times were in mid August and the weather was very nice. Both were different itineraries on different cruise lines.

To get some ideas for what to see and do, you might like to see the slide shows my wife made with her pictures for her website.

The links below will take you there.

Happy Cruising!

i think you'll really enjoy the Pearl in Alaska.

We were on her in 2012 in May (we sailed on Mother's Day) and it was fantastic, we too had really good weather, only a little light drizzle when we were leaving Ketchikan.

We have just paid our deposit for NCL Pearl for Alaska leaving Vancouver on the 7th May 2015 and sailing to Seattle, we have two additonal stops on this cruise to the last one, being Icy Strait Point and Sitka - so we are rapt about this.

The only complaint, no more a disappointment than a comlaint, was the time spent in Ketchikan on that cruise wasn't very long compared to the ports.

Have you got a whole day in Ketchikan or half a day? I seem to remember something along the lines of arriving at 7 or 8am but having to depart at 1pm or 2pm.

There so many things to do in Alaska and it can hurt your hip pocket.

Our to do's this time will be a float plane, we def want to do a whale watching, and we didn't get to Menendall Glacier so we will do that this time. And hubby wants to do the Aleutian Ballard thing, but this is not actually fishing or crabbing, you go out on the boat, and they pick up pots that are filled with an assortment of ocean life and they show that to their guests. This one doesn't go out in the rough seas, I believe just in the inlet.

What we did do last time and really enjoyed was the Whitepass Train - the scenery was lovely, especially for us who thatwas our first time seeing snow and ice in real life.

No matter what you pick to do, you will have a ball, it's a real magical place to visit, and while last time was our 'once only' cruise of Alaska - like so many - we 're returning - wonder if you guys will too?

i think you'll really enjoy the Pearl in Alaska.

We were on her in 2012 in May (we sailed on Mother's Day) and it was fantastic, we too had really good weather, only a little light drizzle when we were leaving Ketchikan.

We have just paid our deposit for NCL Pearl for Alaska leaving Vancouver on the 7th May 2015 and sailing to Seattle, we have two additonal stops on this cruise to the last one, being Icy Strait Point and Sitka - so we are rapt about this.

The only complaint, no more a disappointment than a comlaint, was the time spent in Ketchikan on that cruise wasn't very long compared to the ports.

Have you got a whole day in Ketchikan or half a day? I seem to remember something along the lines of arriving at 7 or 8am but having to depart at 1pm or 2pm.

There so many things to do in Alaska and it can hurt your hip pocket.

Our to do's this time will be a float plane, we def want to do a whale watching, and we didn't get to Menendall Glacier so we will do that this time. And hubby wants to do the Aleutian Ballard thing, but this is not actually fishing or crabbing, you go out on the boat, and they pick up pots that are filled with an assortment of ocean life and they show that to their guests. This one doesn't go out in the rough seas, I believe just in the inlet.

What we did do last time and really enjoyed was the Whitepass Train - the scenery was lovely, especially for us who thatwas our first time seeing snow and ice in real life.

No matter what you pick to do, you will have a ball, it's a real magical place to visit, and while last time was our 'once only' cruise of Alaska - like so many - we 're returning - wonder if you guys will too?

We only have about 7.5 hours in Ketchikan it looks likes, arriving at 6 am and leaving at 130 pm. This is a once in a life time for my dad, as for me I"m not sure, I'm a caribbean, warm weather type of girl :p:D lol. I picked Alaska because it's somewhere by boyfriend has always wanted to go, and because it's one of few places my dad hasn't been in all his travels with the Navy. I'm going to keep an open mind, and the way I look at it, I'll be on another cruise so that's the best part lol :D

I'd start with the existing excursion choices. Go through and pick based on your wishes. Sometimes I go through the choices with a "everything's a possibility until I can identify a reason why it's not" mentality, other times I go through the choices with a "pick any of the ones that might be of interest, and then rank them most desirable to least".

Some people want to be spectators, others like to see it natural, others want to do things. My wife and I like to see whales (natural, obviously), so there's always a whale watch on our list. She is crafty, so one time in Skagway she did a glassblowing and they shipped home the ornament she made. I enjoy flying so I did a helicopter ride onto a glacier.

Our next cruise I decided that I was going to pick the excursions I wanted, regardless of what she wants. If we end up on the same one, great, but if not I just don't care. I'm going "all-out" for photography next time, probably renting the most lenses of any past or future cruise I take (until I win the lottery...).

What are your wishes?

White Pass railroad in Skagway is great, but I've heard it's better when you do the longer ride options. We did the longest (out to Carcross with a bus back) and really valued the experiences.

Look at the "technology tools" your cruise line offers. Ours (Princess) offers the ability to make a custom brochure of excursions that meet your criteria, whether it's by price, accessibility, or activity level. They also offer the ability to make a brochure of the excursions you've reserved, and I think they offer the ability to make a brochure of your wishlist. This can be a great way to print it out and make notes, cross things off, etc.

How was the weather that time of year? I'm a little worried about that weather being really rainy.

Don't worry about the rain. Southeast Alaska is a temperate rainforest. In all my years of living there we never worried about. If it's raining simply put on your raincoat and carry on as usual. It's weird how people worry about the rain but they don't have a second thought about standing in the shower and getting wet.

Just get out there and enjoy it. You won't melt.

I would highly recommend taking a helicopter ride and landing on a glacier. The ride itself is awesome being able to see the glaciers from above. Until I had been on a glacier, I just figured it would be like walking on snow; but I was quite wrong. It is a different world on the glacier. We were able to do a great whale watching tour with Harv and Marv in the morning, which stopped at Mendenhall Glacier before returning to town. Then we did the helicopter trip in the afternoon. It was a fantastic touring day. Below are a couple pics from our review from above and on the glacier.

ALAS_3415.JPG

ALAS_0401.JPG

Have a great time in Alaska. It is an incredible place to visit. We are finally returning there in June for a cruise and land tour. Can't wait.

I would highly recommend taking a helicopter ride and landing on a glacier. The ride itself is awesome being able to see the glaciers from above. Until I had been on a glacier, I just figured it would be like walking on snow; but I was quite wrong. It is a different world on the glacier. We were able to do a great whale watching tour with Harv and Marv in the morning, which stopped at Mendenhall Glacier before returning to town. Then we did the helicopter trip in the afternoon. It was a fantastic touring day. Below are a couple pics from our review from above and on the glacier.

ALAS_3415.JPG

ALAS_0401.JPG

Have a great time in Alaska. It is an incredible place to visit. We are finally returning there in June for a cruise and land tour. Can't wait.

When we flew into Anchorage there was heavy cloud cover. I napped most of the flight, not a big fan of flying. At one point I awoke and expected to see more clouds, but to my amazement there was a small clearing for just a few minutes. To say I was glued to the airplane window is an understatement. No words.

In Seward we hiked the short distance on the path around exit glacier, dodged moose poop, and met hikers coming down off the top of the glacier. At one point we got close enough to touch the glacier, although there were some other unsafe areas roped off. Definitely a highlight prior to embarkation.

Your pics are amazing. I need to get my photos put on a disc...they were made back when we didn't store everything. Helicopter tours are super expensive, but if one can get a look out the plane window and later visit a glacier on foot or by boat it is amazing. Just watch out for cracking and flying ice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app