When Will Majesty be Retired?

Majesty will be transferred out of the US when it becomes to expensive to comply with the MARPOL air pollution regulations.

I don't understand, won't it be too expensive for anyone else in the world?

MARPOL 73/78 is an international convention for the prevention of pollution at sea. This international treaty was adopted by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) in 1973, and later updated in 1978 after several severe tanker accidents.

The convention includes regulations aimed at preventing and minimizing pollution at sea from ships, and this includes both accidental pollution and pollution from routine operations.

Majesty will be transferred out of the US when it becomes to expensive to comply with the MARPOL air pollution regulations.

That, or it becomes more expensive to maintain, and not seeing the present revenue.

To date, Royal Caribbean does not a ship that would replace that class of ship, to do a 3/4 night cruise, that still is very popular, so that the ship is filled.......cruise after cruise after cruise. The cabins may be small, but the crew is one of the best in the fleet, and outside of cramped quarters, almost everyone on board has fun on these short cruises.

Some even experience cruising for the first time on a short cruise, and fall in love with cruising, and many times the first cruise experience will lead a person to more with that line that they first tried.

Years ago, the past President of Royal Caribbean told me that the Sovereign class ships, doing the 3/4 night cruises, were the cash cows of the fleet. That was before the Oasis Class was built.

Take a B2B on the Majesty, which would equal a 7 night cruise on the Oasis Class, and check out the price difference. Oasis is great for familys, but for young and old cruisers alike, it's hard to beat the price, and pleasure the crew brings on the Majesty.

We have had our fair share of fun on the Sovereign Class ships, and hope that the Majesty sticks around a little while longer, just to get one or two more cruises aboard, before she is retired.:)

Rick

That, or it becomes more expensive to maintain, and not seeing the present revenue.

To date, Royal Caribbean does not a ship that would replace that class of ship, to do a 3/4 night cruise, that still is very popular, so that the ship is filled.......cruise after cruise after cruise. The cabins may be small, but the crew is one of the best in the fleet, and outside of cramped quarters, almost everyone on board has fun on these short cruises.

Some even experience cruising for the first time on a short cruise, and fall in love with cruising, and many times the first cruise experience will lead a person to more with that line that they first tried.

Years ago, the past President of Royal Caribbean told me that the Sovereign class ships, doing the 3/4 night cruises, were the cash cows of the fleet. That was before the Oasis Class was built.

Take a B2B on the Majesty, which would equal a 7 night cruise on the Oasis Class, and check out the price difference. Oasis is great for familys, but for young and old cruisers alike, it's hard to beat the price, and pleasure the crew brings on the Majesty.

We have had our fair share of fun on the Sovereign Class ships, and hope that the Majesty sticks around a little while longer, just to get one or two more cruises aboard, before she is retired.:)

Rick

But you don't answer the question posed:

I don't understand, won't it be too expensive for anyone else in the world?

MARPOL 73/78 is an international convention for the prevention of pollution at sea. This international treaty was adopted by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) in 1973, and later updated in 1978 after several severe tanker accidents.

The convention includes regulations aimed at preventing and minimizing pollution at sea from ships, and this includes both accidental pollution and pollution from routine operations.

Royal has ships that can replace Her Majesty on the 3/4 day itineraries. They can put a Vision class in her place, just as Enchantment does 3/4 day cruise itineraries from Port Canaveral. The Majesty runs are 'cash cows' I am sure...they are always filled leaving Miami. I have been on it 10 times....it is a wonderful easy getaway. But Royal has choices....and as they have brought new ships into the fleet could have 'retired' her. She will be retired -- as one senior crew member told me, probably when the 3rd Oasis class ship is brought out and the 2nd Quantum ship is as well. For now, Her Majesty, is bringing many new cruisers their first cruising experience and some seasoned cruisers continued enjoyment.

I'm to waiting for the day of her retirement, this ship to me is like the fantasy class, very unappealing, old looking, no balconies , filled with brass decor from the early 90s.

She can either be sold or given to pullmantur if they can sell her well.

I think century was about to be sold before she got transferred.

Isn't there a site of cruise ship for sale?

Edited by SaintL

But you don't answer the question posed:

Royal has ships that can replace Her Majesty on the 3/4 day itineraries. They can put a Vision class in her place, just as Enchantment does 3/4 day cruise itineraries from Port Canaveral. The Majesty runs are 'cash cows' I am sure...they are always filled leaving Miami. I have been on it 10 times....it is a wonderful easy getaway. But Royal has choices....and as they have brought new ships into the fleet could have 'retired' her. She will be retired -- as one senior crew member told me, probably when the 3rd Oasis class ship is brought out and the 2nd Quantum ship is as well. For now, Her Majesty, is bringing many new cruisers their first cruising experience and some seasoned cruisers continued enjoyment.

Sorry, I think that I did with my first Sentence. It's truly a guessing game of when her retirement will take place. You mention a Vision class ship doing the run, that works, but with 500 fewer pax. That is why the Majesty is still at it, when they have, call it retired, however just moved the Sovereign and Monarch to Pullmantur, which is still owned by Royal Caribbean.

Rick

Sorry, I think that I did with my first Sentence. It's truly a guessing game of when her retirement will take place. You mention a Vision class ship doing the run, that works, but with 500 fewer pax. That is why the Majesty is still at it, when they have, call it retired, however just moved the Sovereign and Monarch to Pullmantur, which is still owned by Royal Caribbean.

Rick

Nobody has brought up, what I hoped might be a clue, some time ago Mariner (Voyager class) was on its way to or from Galveston and either stopped, or did a sail-by and the word on here was it was checking out navigating and docking at Keywest. The logical rumor ;) if rumors can have some logic was that it was a trial for replacing Majesty with a ship from that class. I bring it up again to see if any more info came out of that.

here is a link to a article on new air pollution regulations for ships.

http://www.lexology.com/r.ashx?i=5709954&l=7L0AJ0B

It is truly a guessing game as to when Royal will announce Her Majesty's retirement. Will changing pollution regulations have an impact on Royal's decision? Surely.

As with other deployment speculation ideas by cruisers, we can rest assured that there will be a ship handling the 3/4 day itineraries on the very popular route that Majesty has had as her own for the past many years.

At some point Royal will make the announcement and the speculation will end. She can't get any more popular of a destination cruise as she is now, when it happens.

• 4 months later...
I think this is a great idea....or at least somehow incorporate the names into venues around the newer ships.

This may be rumor... but I think I remember seeing a show on TV talking about one of the newer (oasis?) ships using the Crown & Anchor sign from a retired ship?

If true, that's very cool.

This may be rumor... but I think I remember seeing a show on TV talking about one of the newer (oasis?) ships using the Crown & Anchor sign from a retired ship?

If true, that's very cool.

I could be completely wrong, but I think both Oasis and Allure have Sovereign's Crown & Anchors hanging over the AquaTheater.

I could be completely wrong, but I think both Oasis and Allure have Sovereign's Crown & Anchors hanging over the AquaTheater.

I believe the concept of using Sovereign's Crown & Anchor was discussed, but the idea was dropped. If I remember correctly, they had concerns about the structural soundness of the old Crown & Anchors.

I believe the concept of using Sovereign's Crown & Anchor was discussed, but the idea was dropped. If I remember correctly, they had concerns about the structural soundness of the old Crown & Anchors.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I knew I did read about it somewhere though!

Edit:

Here's the link to what I read: http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/?p=244

Disappointing to here that the idea was scratched.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Rick

Monarch used to be at PC. While Enchantment is bigger than most of the Vision class, it proves that a Vision class is possible. They should move EOS down to Miami and maybe Vision or Rhapsody to PC. They are the biggest Vision besides Enchantment. PC doesn't seem as popular as Miami.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think it was our June 14 Majesty that the captain said it would be retired sometime in 2016.

We have been on Majesty 25 times and have 2 more in Oct and more for next year. She is a great weekend getaway.

We sailed on Sovereign and Monarch many time out of PC before moving to SWFL and now doing weekends on Majesty. Took the very last Monarch out of PC and plan to do the very last Majesty out of Miami when the time comes.

Personally, I would LOVE Enchantment coming to Miami or FLL for 3/4nighters. Love that ship. Also really liked Vision so would be fine with that one also when the time comes.

But we think the staff on Majesty is wonderful and we also have a fantastic time when we hop on Majesty for a weekend.

I think it was a size and shape issue.

• 2 months later...

It's official "Majesty of the Seas will depart on its last three-night sailing for Royal Caribbean International on April 29, 2016. It will then enter dry dock before joining Pullmantur. With the addition of Majesty, Pullmantur's total passenger capacity will increase by more than 20 percent."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6079

It's official "Majesty of the Seas will depart on its last three-night sailing for Royal Caribbean International on April 29, 2016. It will then enter dry dock before joining Pullmantur. With the addition of Majesty, Pullmantur's total passenger capacity will increase by more than 20 percent."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6079

Just read the article in CNNmoney.com. April 29, 2016