Practicing an instrument Enchantment of the Seas

leighi123

IMHO, it doesn't matter if they are allowed or not. a young kid practicing the violin needs to do it in the privacy of his own home and not subject innocent bystanders. please Parent Up and tell Jr NO violin.

What is it that so many of you do NOT understand that there

are a number of places that he can practice without disturbing ANYONE?

EXACTLY! He won't be practicing where you would hear him. He is looking for someplace he can practice that WON'T DISTURB OTHER PEOPLE! He is not practicing in the cabin next door or any public place.[/quote

The majority of places he may have access to are public spaces...and other's have the right to use them also without this possible disturbance...Nothing wrong with having this child leave his instrument at home where it belongs...there's a time and place for everything ;)

If the ship said 'go for it' at set times in some otherwise vacant lounge room, I see no problem. I get the people who say not in the cabin next door, but that is not where the poster is going. She is being an excellent parent by asking how it could happen.

But to echo other, this may do better on the board for that cruise line as their rules will prevail.

EXACTLY! He won't be practicing where you would hear him. He is looking for someplace he can practice that WON'T DISTURB OTHER PEOPLE! He is not practicing in the cabin next door or any public place.

I do not know what ships you have been which have non-public places where a young violinist can practice where "OTHER PEOPLE" (your caps) cannot hear him.

The OP asked a simple question, is there a place her child could practice without disturbing anyone else. She did not ask for personal opinions or for any parenting advice. Who knows, her child may be the greatest violin player since Paganini.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The OP asked a simple question, is there a place her child could practice without disturbing anyone else. She did not ask for personal opinions or for any parenting advice. Who knows, her child may be the greatest violin player since Paganini.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not know what ships you have been which have non-public places where a young violinist can practice where "OTHER PEOPLE" (your caps) cannot hear him.

Exactly. Non-public areas are not intended for passengers to use for any reason. However, if arrangements are made before hand with the cruise line, perhaps the line would allow a little used employee or storage area for practice. But I would not count on this, especially considering possible liability reasons.

As for using public spaces, well, public places are just that - public. They are not private areas where someone can go and do whatever they want, whether it is practicing on a violin, gymnastics training, or yodeling. Public places are for everyone, and I would think someone taking one over for their own convenience to be a bit selfish and inconsiderate.

So if only public areas are available, leave the violin at home.

Edited by boogs

Wow - if a child has enough desire - find a way to let him shine. Talk with the ship - I would certainly think there are places to practice without bothering anyone else. Yes, the cabin might not be the best place - but it can not be that much worse than the constant door slamming in the late afternoons on the balcony!! Our next door neighbor on a cruise two years ago bought himself a set of Bongo Drums in port. Interesting!!

Make it happen if he really wants to do it.

I'd be afraid what the change in humidity can do to the wood of the violin.

Also check to see if the violin can be considered a carryon for any air travel.

Thanks - we live in Florida, weather/humidity is the same/very similar, so no issues there. We are driving to port, no plane, but we have traveled with it frequently and it is a carry-on on the plane (its tiny!). He always plays in airports, gets a crowd of people watching!

Any chance of him renting an electric violin for the cruise? I would guess that you could play them with earphones although I do not know for certain.

His violin is 1/8th size, so I doubt they make them that tiny electric!

If he was too young for the kids room in 2009, he cannot be much more than 8 or 9 now -- meaning that it is unlikely he has yet blossomed into a Paganinni.

I am not sure his practice would be seen as enhancing his fellow-passengers' cruise experience.

Your math is off - in 2009 he was 2.5, now he is 6.5.

And no, he no expert violinist, but he does preform on a regular basis and no one has run screaming from the room yet! In any case, his ability level doesn't change my question, which was where to practice without disturbing anyone, I do not want to bother anyone who doesn't want to hear it.

please leave it home.. someone playing the violin who can't play the violin may lead to it being tossed over-board. why make the passengers suffer just because you can't tell Jr no?

The whole point of me asking was to find a place where I would NOT disturb anyone. In other words avoiding rude people like you. Its a big ship, I'm assuming there is at least 1 location we can go for 20min a day without pissing anyone off.

Unbelievable responses.

Bring the violin and play away. It is definitely permitted. On one of our cruises a young boy, about 12 brought his bagpipes and literally lit up the pool with his talent.

Anyway, there are so many places on a cruise ship where there is literally no one within earshot, empty lounges, so he could practice in many places where no one would be disturbed.

Thank you.

For those who mentioned it, the reason I can't just "tell him no" is because 1. "no practicing your instrument" doesn't work for him (he was deathly ill at the beginning of this week, in bed, very high fever, he kept trying to get out of bed to get his violin... )

2. He doesn't know we are going on the cruise, we are going to stop off to see his auntie, and will have the violin with us, and then pull up to port. I don't want to argue with him in the parking lot.

3. Its like telling your kid no, you can't read a book/do your homework.

4. He will worry about it the whole time if he doesn't have it. When he was sick, it was all he was thinking about, which was super annoying because I wanted him to just relax!

Edited by leighi123

So now the perspective from a musician - practicing isn't something you do because you a forced to. It is like breathing - you are compelled to do it. At age 6.5, his desire to practice should be encouraged and I commend you for not pushing it - obviously this is something he wants to do. Only those young children who are told they 'have' to practice would willingly give it up even if only for a week. You have attempted to find out what the rules are and you have indicated your willingness to find a location/time that will not disturb others. Many people on cruises do things that bother me - bad dancing, bad singing, inconsiderate smoking, pushy behaviour at the buffet - but pursuing a passion for music would not be one of them. Those who are whining about "as long as it isn't scales" don't understand how to practice. I say bring on the arpeggios! And as for the comment above where you were accused of "giving in" to your child - that is so unbelievable I have not the words to express my incredulity. Instead I will go and practice my clarinet and enjoy the smiles of my neighbours when next we meet.