Practicing an instrument Enchantment of the Seas

leighi123

We are going on a cruise on RCI Enchantment of the Seas. My son plays the violin, and practices every day (yes, even on vacation, his choice, not mine! I don't mind him missing a few days but he insists)

However, I do not want to annoy anyone on board because I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't want to hear it.

Is there any good place for him to practice where we won't bother anyone? Its a violin, so not all that loud, so would in our cabin work? It takes him around 30min to practice at a time.

Also, does anyone know if the kids do talent shows on RCI? I know last time we went the kids did some sort of show, but my little guy was too young for the kids room then so I didn't pay much attention. He loves to show off.

I don't believe there are restrictions against instruments. That said, it is likely to bother other guests so it's better to suggest to him that he take a week off. Even the great musicians will occasionally take a break! Violins have a unique sound and I know I wouldn't be thrilled to hear one in the hallway or in the cabin.

I have not seen guest talent shows on RCI, but they do have them on Celebrity.

Your cabin would not be a good place for him to practice. Walls are not all that sound proofed and your neighbors most likely will be disturbed with the sounds. He needs to find a more public spot with the permission of crew. Security well could be knocking on your door if he decides to practice in your cabin or on a verandah if you have one.

Edited by sail7seas

Here is a list from the RCI website of things you cannot bring - don't see musical instruments anywhere:

What Not To Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

*Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

**Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

** Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

We were on a Celebrity cruise where a gentleman practised playing his guitar and singing. It was in the morning up in the Horizon Lounge. A very large lounge. He was very good. More like a proffesional, so we enjoyed listening to him. If your son is just practising scales or is new to the violin, I would think it would not be advisable to bring it.

What would be a good time for him to practice?

Early morning there likely are neighbors asleep.

Late afternoon, lots of vacationers like to nap. :)

Mid afternoon, lots of folks enjoying their verandahs.

Late evening, after dinner? Early to bed folks could be bothered.

What about those folks watching a movie or listening to TV?

Playing a musical instrument in such a shared space doesn't seem the best idea.

IMO

We are going on a cruise on RCI Enchantment of the Seas. My son plays the violin, and practices every day (yes, even on vacation, his choice, not mine! I don't mind him missing a few days but he insists)

However, I do not want to annoy anyone on board because I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't want to hear it.

Is there any good place for him to practice where we won't bother anyone? Its a violin, so not all that loud, so would in our cabin work? It takes him around 30min to practice at a time.

Also, does anyone know if the kids do talent shows on RCI? I know last time we went the kids did some sort of show, but my little guy was too young for the kids room then so I didn't pay much attention. He loves to show off.

If he was too young for the kids room in 2009, he cannot be much more than 8 or 9 now -- meaning that it is unlikely he has yet blossomed into a Paganinni.

I am not sure his practice would be seen as enhancing his fellow-passengers' cruise experience.

Unbelievable responses.

Bring the violin and play away. It is definitely permitted. On one of our cruises a young boy, about 12 brought his bagpipes and literally lit up the pool with his talent.

Anyway, there are so many places on a cruise ship where there is literally no one within earshot, empty lounges, so he could practice in many places where no one would be disturbed.

Unbelievable responses.

Bring the violin and play away. It is definitely permitted. On one of our cruises a young boy, about 12 brought his bagpipes and literally lit up the pool with his talent.

Anyway, there are so many places on a cruise ship where there is literally no one within earshot, empty lounges, so he could practice in many places where no one would be disturbed.

I hope he is in the room next to yours..

Altogether a bad idea. How about being the parent and telling your young son NO. The violin stays at home. No one wants to hear an amateur or beginner on a musical instrument. I know from first hand experience...son started trumpet in third grade. I nearly went insane. DH and I wake early on cruises, but we do enjoy those lengthy afternoon naps. If I were disturbed by amateur (or professional) violin practice from a cabin next door, I would not be happy. I believe that everyone onboard is entitled to a restful and quiet respite in their own cabins whenever they like.

Don't know about RCL but Carnival is a no. Musical instruments are prohibited unless they are to be used in a pre-approved performance. Personally I would be pretty upset if I was awakened by someone strangling a cat in the next cabin. I had an issue with a boom box on one cruise. It did not turn out well.:rolleyes:

Many lines have rules against bringing on any instruments ,your sons dedication is very admirable but it is best to leave home.

I'm not sure about Royal Caribbean (someone earlier said that instruments weren't prohibited), but I think Carnival allows them. I was on the Sensation, and one of my cruise friends brought his guitar. He even played a few songs on it while hanging out on the lido deck. He was good, so people nearby enjoyed listening. (Clackey, maybe he performed somewhere onboard; I didn't meet him until later during the cruise, and I didn't ask.)

Violins play in a higher register than guitars, which can sound grating if not done correctly. If you son wants to practice, I guess let him. But as others pointed out, it's best if he uses an empty lounge for that. The dance club and the comedy club are almost always deserted during the day, so why not there?