Terry Breen

Travelcat2

Destination services puts out a flyer (generally in your suite when you embark) detailing each excursion and how long each stop will be. If you read the details of the tour and find that you will be on a bus to and from the destination for hours or the stops are too long, you can cancel (actually, you can cancel for any reason -- these are two reasons why we have cancelled). Most excursions do include stops to give passengers the opportunity to shop. An hour in a jewelry store sounds a bit long. If the hour stop in the jewelry store was in the excursion details, there isn't much than can be done about it (other than to let Destination Services know your feelings).

Edited by Travelcat2

Could people quit hijacking threads and stick to the topic? This one is supposed to be about Terry Breen - and destination lecturers. If you want to talk about excursions, please start a new thread!

My response was to your comment about destination lecturers not excursions

Yes, indeed it was. My response was a case in point that you get what you pay for.

For instance, I would much prefer to pay for a tour that doesn't include a jewelry shop shakedown. I would also prefer to have a professional lecturer, not someone who popped on for a free cruise without having actual, recent, port expertise.

I think it is rather short sited for Regent to eliminate pay for the 3 destination lecturers Sandy, Terry and John. They are all very professional and add a lot to the cruise experience. So does entertainment....sad to see that offering being budget-reduced as well.

What's next? And why?

Yes, indeed it was. My response was a case in point that you get what you pay for.

For instance, I would much prefer to pay for a tour that doesn't include a jewelry shop shakedown. I would also prefer to have a professional lecturer, not someone who popped on for a free cruise without having actual, recent, port expertise.

I think it is rather short sited for Regent to eliminate pay for the 3 destination lecturers Sandy, Terry and John. They are all very professional and add a lot to the cruise experience. So does entertainment....sad to see that offering being budget-reduced as well.

What's next? And why?

Just want to verify that your source is a "drop in" entertainer..... correct? The reason I ask is that I have received incorrect information more than once from the crew on board. Have you verified this?

Have you verified this?

Yes. Both the elimination of destination expert pay and entertainment budget cut stories have been reconfirmed by other sources.

Side note that yesterday, Dagmara from Destination Services, was in the Constellation Theatre reading off the excursions available in Keelung (Taipei) for today. This was in the time slot normally occupied by the port lecturer.

So my question is what is next? And why?

As I posted on this thread just under a month ago, Terry is scheduled to return to the Navigator in late May (May 28, to be exact). Learned this from an officer aboard the Navigator who is a good friend of hers.

If this is the case, we're sad not to have her around for our Alaska cruise on the 10th May:(. Is it likely that Regent would put someone else onboard for the first two cruises of the season, or will we be left to our own devices?

If this is the case, we're sad not to have her around for our Alaska cruise on the 10th May:(. Is it likely that Regent would put someone else onboard for the first two cruises of the season, or will we be left to our own devices?
:( We are just off the Mariner, Miami-Buenos Aires with Terry B.. She told me when I asked that She would not be on the May 9th sailing from San Francisco but would be joining the Navigator at the end of May. She has just bought a house in Port Townsend, WA I believe she said and will be basing in Seattle now instead of Miami. I hope this clears the matter up a bit. We have 3 sailings with Terry and she is the best of all of the destination lecturers in our estimation. We will miss having her on our May 9 cruise from San Francisco-Alaska-Vancouver.:(

Gemlea: Terry has not been on our two Alaska cruises because we sailed before the end of May. So, this is pretty typical of when she joins the Navigator. We had a gentleman on board for both cruises. While he is not Terry Breen, he did a good job of narrating!

Edited by Travelcat2

Gemlea: Terry has not been on our two Alaska cruises because we sailed before the end of May. So, this is pretty typical of when she joins the Navigator. We had a gentleman on board for both cruises. While he is not Terry Breen, he did a good job of narrating!
...Thank you Jackie for clearing that up.

AWED23, I'm glad you could confirm that Terry remains in Regent's employ and will be rejoining the Navigator at the end of May, as I had noted. Actually, Travelcat2, Terry did the full slate of Alaska cruises last year. My guess is that she asked for a couple more weeks off this year because of her recent move to the Oregon coast (I don't believe Port Townsend is correct, unless she bought a second property there), as well as the fact that she is selling her home in Montevideo. Also, when she and I spoke last year, she mentioned that she would be putting her longtime residence in Albuquerque on the market. So, lots of changes for Terry--but one thing that is obviously not changing is that she is not leaving Regent! She has been with Radisson/Regent since 1999.

Gemlea, if memory serves, you had planned to do the San Francisco-Vancouver itinerary with Ginny and I last year but had been forced to cancel due to your husband's illness. Glad to know you're set for this year's cruise. Wishing you and AWED23 a great time. As for missing Terry, I'm in the "same boat" with both of you, as Terry will be joining the Navigator as my wife, daughter and I depart the ship on the cruise following yours. Terry will be accompanying us in a way, as we'll be bringing her excellent book "Cruiser Friendly Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage" with us (we bought it last year during the cruise). If you see it in the gift shop, grab it! I just checked to see if it is available on Amazon, and it is, used, from $89.77 and up!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

AWED23 - Thanks for the clarification, and see you on board.

Mr Rumor - Yes we were booked for the 2013 cruise and had to cancel at the last minute. Tom is much improved thanks, but I'm keeping him wrapped in cotton wool from now until the 9th May !!!! Shame we will miss Terry, but good to hear from TC that Regent have other well versed personnel on board. We had friends who did the Vancouver to San Francisco cruise last August and they too bought Terry's book and had her sign it. I will take a look on Amazon and maybe get one shipped over.

Enjoy your cruise.

Terry will be accompanying us in a way, as we'll be bringing her excellent book "Cruiser Friendly Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage" with us (we bought it last year during the cruise). If you see it in the gift shop, grab it! I just checked to see if it is available on Amazon, and it is, used, from $89.77 and up!

For any Alaska-bound cruisers interested in Terry's book, a quick search turns up other used copies for a lot less than Amazon's resellers. There's a copy on eBay for $27.76, on Alibris for $27.00, or AbeBooks for $27.47. It's much more palatable at those prices!

Eric

:( We are just off the Mariner, Miami-Buenos Aires with Terry B.. She told me when I asked that She would not be on the May 9th sailing from San Francisco but would be joining the Navigator at the end of May. She has just bought a house in Port Townsend, WA I believe she said and will be basing in Seattle now instead of Miami. I hope this clears the matter up a bit. We have 3 sailings with Terry and she is the best of all of the destination lecturers in our estimation. We will miss having her on our May 9 cruise from San Francisco-Alaska-Vancouver.:(

If she had the Alaska contract signed prior to the decision to eliminate the daily stipend, she will be paid. However, Regent is no longer signing contracts that include pay. Future cruises are "cabin only" which will likely have folks moving to lines that still pay.

Hello Silversea.

Edited by TPAtravelfan

:confused::confused:

I highly doubt that Terry Breen is in the same category as destination speakers. She is most likely a Regent contractor that is (and will be) paid.

Can you please explain the difference that you are referring to?....All I know is that she is very well versed in her subject matter and never requires either notes or any ers or ahs. Thank you for any clarification that you may make.

I highly doubt that Terry Breen is in the same category as destination speakers. She is most likely a Regent contractor that is (and will be) paid.

Really don't see any difference from Terry Breen who signs a contract, making her a contractor with Regent to speak X number of times for a specified amount and specific benefits that might include room and board and a destination speaker who signs a contract, making her a contractor with Regent to speak X number of times for a specified amount and specific benefits that might include room and board.

They are all Regent Contractors putting them in the same category and more than likely either they all either will remain or not remain contractors in the same categories. Of course some may remain under different contractual provisions but, none of us on this board could possibly know what those old and new provisions are.

With all due respect, this isn't speculation. It's the end of an era for the three Regent destination lecturers as well as some of the repeat "drop in" entertainers you may have enjoyed previously.

Make a note on your calendar to bump this thread in 6 months... we can discuss everything else that has changed since as well. If I am wrong, I will eat serious crow.

Something is up. The question is what?

With all due respect, this isn't speculation. It's the end of an era for the three Regent destination lecturers as well as some of the repeat "drop in" entertainers you may have enjoyed previously.

Make a note on your calendar to bump this thread in 6 months... we can discuss everything else that has changed since as well. If I am wrong, I will eat serious crow.

Something is up. The question is what?

Who are the other two? I suspect what TC meant was that Terry doesn't just give some lectures. She also provides live commentary broadcast over the PA at strategic and memorable parts of the cruise. She, or someone like her, has become an integral part of those cruises. And not just Alaska but SA too. Are you saying this is over?

I agree with Jackie (and I think Tina too) in that Enrichment Lecturers like Terry Breen cannot be classed along with Destination lecturers. Terry covers everything to do with the ports/countries being visited: History, politics, economy, geography (very useful to most American travellers that!), social history, language etc. Port lecturers tend to talk only about the sights to be seen, very little on any history and lots on shopping.

A long time ago I stopped going to Port lectures. I prefer to read up about the port on my iPad. On the other hand I would actually TAKE a cruise if I knew Terry Breen was lecturing. Her talk on glaciers is one of the most outstanding I have ever heard (and I live surrounded by them and took Geology in college!!) In fact I heard it twice. Once in Alaska and once in Chile. And would happily sit through it again!

• 8 months later...