What do you TIP

Vonchillis

On our cruise this past January, I had some magazines I'd finished with and tried to throw them in the garbage. The steward asked if he could take them and share with other staff. I told him "sure". Seems they like to have reading material. Next cruise I will bring extra magazines so they will have more! I will still tip the usual way so don't really consider this a "tip", just a nice gesture.

They are trained to always be friendly and polite. They will always appear to be grateful, even if they aren't. Their jobs depend on putting on a "happy" face.

Forgot to add if it is a short 3-4 day cruise we do the same but adjust the amounts accordingly.

Not sure what you mean by this. If the daily rate is $11.50 per person, it would still be $11.50 for each day of a 3 day cruise just as it would be $11.50 each day for a 14 day cruise.

What are you adjusting?

Probably because those guys draw a full salary.

Highly improbable. The daily service charge is clearly described as being split among the guys you see and the ones you don't. All service providers participate in the service charge.

Back to original post - does anyone think someone will sign up to clean your toilet, make your bed, etc. to get some playing cards and trinkets?

While I'm sure the gesture is meant as thoughtful, the fact is these stewards/bartenders/bar staff etc are grown men and women and their work is not a hobby. They work these long months aboard for cash same as all of us. The cute trinkets are dust collectors and take up space in their cabin. That is about the last thing they want.

Cash doesn't take lots of room, doesn't take up valuable suitcase space and weight and can be used for whatever purpose they desire.

Candy, food, snacks are also a bad idea as we have no idea any food allergies they may have or dietary restrictions for whatever reason. I don't know anyone who is allergic to cash. :)

They would never insult you by letting you know they don't want any part of these cute souvenirs but it is likely they find the first trash barrel and discard it all.

Edited by sail7seas

NICE!!!!

Sorry but I never use the "Fake Smile and Fake Thank you"

No wonder I hardly ever post.

The poster meant the employees use fake smile and fake thank you, what else can they do? Do you think they will take your deck of cards back home to feed their hungry families?

My wife on past cruises has brought playing cards, cozies, hats ect. that have local touristy stuff on them and used these for tipping the room steward and wait staff. We also given extra $$ along with it. My question is has any one else done this or something similar?

She heard that the staff really like this. I just do not want to insult anyone by doing this.

What do you-all do??:confused::confused:

VC

Since the crew's cabins are small and they often share a cabin, they don't have much room for that kind of stuff and probably have no use for it. I think they like the money but are being polite about liking the touristy stuff. I only give money.

I agree, good intentions but remember they live in basically a closet and share one at that, things just take up more room and they want money most of all.

lol..I wonder if someone left a bottle of booze would they want that or could they sell it to their fellow staff? Just curious.

On our last cruise we won a bottle of champagne the last night. We'd had several during the cruise and didn't want to pack this one but didn't want to just leave it if our cabin steward didn't want it. So we asked him and he was glad to have it. This did not replace the extra $$ we gave him for his friendly service.

NICE!!!!

Sorry but I never use the "Fake Smile and Fake Thank you"

No wonder I hardly ever post.

No one is saying YOU are doing the fake smile and thank you. They ware saying the CREW will do that because they don't want to be insulting. They smile, take whatever you give and if it's not cash probably throw it out.

My own guidelines:

1. No advance tipping (except for the porters taking our luggage). We usually don't do special requests, but besides it seems like a bribe.

2. Keep autotips on. If service is bad, go see Passenger Services/purser's desk and try to get matter resolved asap, rather than waiting til later and then justifying stiffing the crew.

3. If any crew members have done exceptionally, figure out the extra tip on the last full day of the cruise (used to be all the tips were during the "stuff the envelope rite; so glad for autotips now).

4. Consider filling out "made a difference" type of cards for those in #3.

5. no local knickknacks -- if a crew member feels the need to buy a key chain, they can buy the one of their choice on one of their days off in port, using tip money. No food items, either, as they may be allergic (as Sail says above) or it might be something they don't eat due to dietary or religious concerns. Same thing for giving holiday cards -- they might not celebrate the same holidays as you.

Picture yourself as your boss handed you this crap on pay day.

Leave the junk home. All they want is your cash. Everything else ends up in the trash.

The above sums it up quite nicely!

My own guidelines:

1. No advance tipping (except for the porters taking our luggage). We usually don't do special requests' date=' but besides it seems like a bribe.

2. Keep autotips on. If service is bad, go see Passenger Services/purser's desk and try to get matter resolved asap, rather than waiting til later and then justifying stiffing the crew.

3. If any crew members have done exceptionally, figure out the extra tip on the last full day of the cruise (used to be all the tips were during the "stuff the envelope rite; so glad for autotips now).

5. no local knickknacks -- if a crew member feels the need to buy a key chain, they can buy the one of their choice on one of their days off in port, using tip money. No food items, either, as they may be allergic (as Sail says above) or it might be something they don't eat due to dietary or religious concerns. Same thing for giving holiday cards -- they might not celebrate the same holidays as you.[/quote']

I agree, I never do advance tipping! Autotips are fine!

Not sure what you mean by this. If the daily rate is $11.50 per person, it would still be $11.50 for each day of a 3 day cruise just as it would be $11.50 each day for a 14 day cruise.

What are you adjusting?

I think what they are saying is they leave the $11.50 in place. If they tip an extra $50 for a 7 day cruise, they may only tip an extra $35 for a 5 day cruise. (Hypothetical numbers, but you should get the idea.)

On our last cruise we won a bottle of champagne the last night. We'd had several during the cruise and didn't want to pack this one but didn't want to just leave it if our cabin steward didn't want it. So we asked him and he was glad to have it. This did not replace the extra $$ we gave him for his friendly service.

Now THIS is something besides money that I suspect they will gladly accept. They can probably use it in their crew parties. :)

edit: just to add, agree that you would not want to do this in lieu of money tips... just something extra

Edited by RJ2002

My own guidelines:

1. No advance tipping (except for the porters taking our luggage). We usually don't do special requests' date=' but besides it seems like a bribe.

5. no local knickknacks -- if a crew member feels the need to buy a key chain, they can buy the one of their choice on one of their days off in port, using tip money. No food items, either, as they may be allergic (as Sail says above) or it might be something they don't eat due to dietary or religious concerns. Same thing for giving holiday cards -- they might not celebrate the same holidays as you.[/quote']

This sums up what DW and I have been doing.

Several crew members have shared that the "made a difference" cards are very important to them.

I would also add that if you want to buy them something extra, ask them if they need anything from ashore at next port stop. I wouldn't assume that they like or value the same things I do. I've picked up candy bars, etc for crew members before, but only after I asked them if there is anything they would like or need. If you don't know what to get them, give them cash. No one ever turns their nose up at that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think what they are saying is they leave the $11.50 in place. If they tip an extra $50 for a 7 day cruise, they may only tip an extra $35 for a 5 day cruise. (Hypothetical numbers, but you should get the idea.)

That makes sense. If they give an extra $20 for a 7 day, then they might only give $10 for a 3 day. Got it. Thanks!