I'm confused

JLawes

Hi, this may sound dumb to some people but it's got me confused.

PRICE DROP I see this quite a lot on these boards and I understand what a price drop is but how do some people get their cruise cheaper.

I booked my next cruise with a TA so how do I know if they are asking a cheaper price?

Do I just look at the price I'm paying then watch for my TA advertising it cheaper? Does it have to be the same standard cabin? We got a deal on the pre paid tips, does that have to be in the cheaper price?

Can anyone help me as to shed some light on this please

Jackie

Hi, this may sound dumb to some people but it's got me confused.

PRICE DROP I see this quite a lot on these boards and I understand what a price drop is but how do some people get their cruise cheaper.

I booked my next cruise with a TA so how do I know if they are asking a cheaper price?

Do I just look at the price I'm paying then watch for my TA advertising it cheaper? Does it have to be the same standard cabin? We got a deal on the pre paid tips, does that have to be in the cheaper price?

Can anyone help me as to shed some light on this please

Jackie

Yes, Jackie that's exactly it. You just look at the prices online for your cabin using a search engine to see if the prices fluctuate. They often do as part of flash sales.

If and when you notice a change and you haven't as yet paid your fare in full, your TA can get you the difference as well as any incentives included like on board credit.

Just take a peek every few weeks and check, you might save yourself some money.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Yes, Jackie that's exactly it. You just look at the prices online for your cabin using a search engine online and if the prices fluctuate. They often do as part of flash sales.

If and when you notice a change and you haven't as yet paid your full fare in full, your TA can get you the difference as well as any incentives included like on board credit.

Just take a peek every few weeks and check, you might save yourself some money.

Jonathan

I have only paid our deposit, rest to be paid by mid August.

Can I check any TA on line or does it have to be the one I use?

Thanks for the advice

Jackie

I believe all rules change when it involves an EU country. Part of the issue is that the cruise lines seem to contract with a single company to handle their bookings in certain countries plus the EU has so very stringent consumer-friendly regulations that force cruise lines to "jump through hoops" and sometimes ties their hands when it comes to price changes.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the above in that you only ever get this if you book via a US TA. We originally booked via a NJ agent for a return crossing to Southampton on the QM2. Before we sailed back , we noticed the US price for the same cabin had been reduced. Nothing ventured nothing gained we emailed the agent and credit to them they arranged for a credit to be made back to our credit card.

There is a UK Cruisers forum here. You'll most likely get more informed replies there than here. Some of the posts you've received only apply to those who have booked through North American Travel Agents. As mentioned above, your circumstances are different.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=683

There is a UK Cruisers forum here. You'll most likely get more informed replies there than here. Some of the posts you've received only apply to those who have booked through North American Travel Agents. As mentioned above, your circumstances are different.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=683

Hello Mary Ellen, yes I know all about the UK forum, but stumbled upon this and noticed the original poster was showing as from England and not New England, hence the post.

Hello Mary Ellen, yes I know all about the UK forum, but stumbled upon this and noticed the original poster was showing as from England and not New England, hence the post.

You gave informed advice that no doubt is helpful to the OP. My post was directed at the OP, not you. Many here don't pay attention to where a poster is from though. If the OP asks this on the UK forum they are less likely to get further confused by responses that don't pertain to their situation.

I believe all rules change when it involves an EU country. Part of the issue is that the cruise lines seem to contract with a single company to handle their bookings in certain countries plus the EU has so very stringent consumer-friendly regulations that force cruise lines to "jump through hoops" and sometimes ties their hands when it comes to price changes.

Hank

Consumer Protection laws in the EU have no bearing on whether a cruiseline honours pricedrops or not. Don't know about other counties in the EU, but in the UK you can book your cruise through virtually any TA or the cruiseline direct.

I think I'm right in saying that this only applies to American cruisers at the moment. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me !

Yes, you are wrong. I know Princess, and I think Celebrity now honour price drops in the UK. Have had 2 price drops on our Emerald Princess cruise in May this year. The same as Swiss Dave.....

All very interesting, assume that final payment on these Princess cruises had yet to be made in the UK? Also although all part of the Carnival empire, Princess for some unknown reason is the only line that I know of, that you can't book via a US TA. As for our Cunard experience, our final payment had been made some months before sailing, yet when we noticed the price prior to departure, they the US TA, arranged fo us to br reimbursed. I've never known such service in the UK, up until now that is, as mentioned by Newport Dave above. Always been fobbed off in the past as you will see on many of the forums covering P&O and Cunard in the UK. Obviously Princess operate differently to the other two in more places than one, despite operating out of the same Carnival house in Southampton.

All very interesting, assume that final payment on these Princess cruises had yet to be made in the UK? Also although all part of the Carnival empire, Princess for some unknown reason is the only line that I know of, that you can't book via a US TA. As for our Cunard experience, our final payment had been made some months before sailing, yet when we noticed the price prior to departure, they the US TA, arranged fo us to br reimbursed. I've never known such service in the UK, up until now that is, as mentioned by Newport Dave above. Always been fobbed off in the past as you will see on many of the forums covering P&O and Cunard in the UK. Obviously Princess operate differently to the other two in more places than one, despite operating out of the same Carnival house in Southampton.

We had our price drops before final payment which we have now made, so don't know what happens afterward. Our cabin grade is sold out anyway.