Recommended or required passport question

We just booked a semi-last minute cruise for April. My daughters passport expires in July. According to the website - it's recommended passports don't expire within six months of cruising. After being on hold with RCI for nearly 40 minutes I decided to post the question here.

Has anyone run into problems with a passport expiring less than six months from sailing? Will they deny boarding if it expires within six months of sailing?

Yes yes yes - I know I could renew on a rush, yes I know I should have thought of this before booking ...

All of the sidebar opinions aside, anyone with experience sailing with a not so fresh passport?

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where are you going? Does the itinerary even require a passport? If it does, look up the US passport requirements for each of the countries. It's very country-specific. For instance, Italy REQUIRES a passport be good for a certain number of months for US citizens. Some other countries need a longer time. Other countries don't require much time if any.

Where are you going? Does the itinerary even require a passport? If it does, look up the US passport requirements for each of the countries. It's very country-specific. For instance, Italy REQUIRES a passport be good for a certain number of months for US citizens. Some other countries need a longer time. Other countries don't require much time if any.

I don't know how Italy can even tell. The officer at customs wouldn't even look at our passports...just waved us on. :rolleyes: I asked him if he would stamp it, and he barked, "NO! Move along" .

I am being facetious, but even though it's supposedly a requirement, they didn't care in Italy. Nowhere in the Caribbean is there a 6 month rule. Certainly, some countries do...but I think it more comes into play if you need to get a Visa; not as a cruise ship passenger. :D

In most, if not all, countries, cruise passengers are considered to be "in transit" and the passport requirements don't apply. On a closed loop cruise, passports, regardless of their expiration date, are not even required. Check directly with the cruiseline (and get the name of the person who gives you their answer) I understand how frustrating a lengthy wait on hold can be but if you are seriously concerned it is likely worth the wait. As long as the passport is valid for the period when you are traveling, things should be fine.

Edited by negc

People still cruise the Caribbean without a passport at all (not smart at all) when they start and complete their cruise in a U.S. port, so she will be fine there. I believe in lieu of a passport they require a photo ID (if an adult) and birth certificate. I'm sure if that's not still the case though someone will be along to correct me. ;)

The issue that you should look into is..... should you have an emergency, will the countries that you are traveling to allow you to use that passport for air travel back to the U.S.

I have a family friend who suffered a ruptured appendix while cruising and was left in a Progresso, MX hospital with no passport. It cost him and his wife an ungodly amount of money to get themselves back stateside after they paid CASH for a hospital that wouldn't even look at their insurance and then a couple of weeks of international red tape to get them legally back into the U.S.

Make sure it's going to work. Do not just assume or take your chances like they did. It's SO not worth it. :)

P.S. The Allure is beautiful! You will love it!

Edited by Messunderstood

We don't have a passport, and are fine on closed-loop cruises. No worries. IF something happens, you WILL get home...might be a hassle, but so is the emergency...so I opt for NOT giving the government more money than I have to.

I don't know how Italy can even tell. The officer at customs wouldn't even look at our passports...just waved us on. :rolleyes: I asked him if he would stamp it, and he barked, "NO! Move along" .

I am being facetious, but even though it's supposedly a requirement, they didn't care in Italy. Nowhere in the Caribbean is there a 6 month rule. Certainly, some countries do...but I think it more comes into play if you need to get a Visa; not as a cruise ship passenger. :D

All passport data is submitted way before you even show up at the pasport control. So either your airline or your cruiseline have already submitted if there´s someone not Meeting the requirements and you would have been singled out Long before already, so the passport officer could just wave you on not worrying about this. If you passed the border by land not an issue either, as Italy is part of the Schengen countries and your passport needed to be checked at your first entry Point to the Schengen area and not crossing the border to Italy. This might also apply for entry by air / sea, depending on where you came from.

In most, if not all, countries, cruise passengers are considered to be "in transit" and the passport requirements don't apply. On a closed loop cruise, passports, regardless of their expiration date, are not even required. Check directly with the cruiseline (and get the name of the person who gives you their answer) I understand how frustrating a lengthy wait on hold can be but if you are seriously concerned it is likely worth the wait. As long as the passport is valid for the period when you are traveling, things should be fine.

I rarely disagree with you bill, but I´m sorry the bolded part is simply not true. Many countries do have relaxed requirements for cruise passengers, but it´s far from true to say that passport requirements do not apply. There´s quite a few countries you will need a visa even as a cruise ship passenger.

Under the assumption that it is a closed loop Caribbean cruise, then according to RCCL you only need a birth certificate and ID. Just to be on the safe side, take the Passport (it'll still be valid), and a Birth Certificate (not a copy), and another form of ID. Now you've touched every base. In fact, it'll be "overkill," but worth the peace of mind. You should have no problem.

I don't know how Italy can even tell. The officer at customs wouldn't even look at our passports...just waved us on. :rolleyes: I asked him if he would stamp it, and he barked, "NO! Move along"...
Was this a Trans-Atlantic? Were you in-transit or disembarking at the end of a cruise? If this was your disembarkation entry into the Schengen zone you definitely are supposed to get an entry stamp. The Italians can be pretty lax, but if you leave Schengen at Frankfort, the authorities there will give you a hard time if they can't find an entry stamp. I really don't like to hassle with or upset immigration officials, but I also want/need an entry stamp into Schengen.

Thom

Was this a Trans-Atlantic? Were you in-transit or disembarking at the end of a cruise? If this was your disembarkation entry into the Schengen zone you definitely are supposed to get an entry stamp. The Italians can be pretty lax, but if you leave Schengen at Frankfort, the authorities there will give you a hard time if they can't find an entry stamp. I really don't like to hassle with or upset immigration officials, but I also want/need an entry stamp into Schengen.

Thom

Yes Thom, we arrived at FCO (Rome) 3 days before a transatlantic cruise. I'm sorry, I don't know what the Schengen zone is?

It didn't affect anything, but I was just sort of disappointed at his lax attitude, rudeness, and not being able to get my passport stamped. :)

Yes Thom, we arrived at FCO (Rome) 3 days before a transatlantic cruise. I'm sorry, I don't know what the Schengen zone is?

The Schengen zone is comprised of the European countries you can travel through without having to show your papers at every border crossing. So you can land in Frankfurt and leave from Paris and travel to Austria and Switzerland and Italy and Norway without ever dealing with border stops. Makes travel in Europe much simpler. (Not all countries are signatories to the Schengen agreement, for example, Ireland and Great Britain are not.)

I rarely disagree with you bill, but I´m sorry the bolded part is simply not true. Many countries do have relaxed requirements for cruise passengers, but it´s far from true to say that passport requirements do not apply. There´s quite a few countries you will need a visa even as a cruise ship passenger.

I may have overstated the case by using the word "most" but certainly many countries, especially ones in the Caribbean don't apply their strictest passport rules to cruise passengers visiting their country for a day. We definitely needed a visa when we visited St. Petersburg on our Baltic cruise last year, but no such requirement was in place when we visited the various Caribbean islands on our repositioning cruise from Boston to Tampa last Fall. My understanding of the situation regarding a six month of validity requirement in those countries that have one, is that it is intended to prevent visitors from staying in the country beyond that expiration date, a situation that does not appear to apply to the OP.

The Schengen zone is comprised of the European countries you can travel through without having to show your papers at every border crossing. So you can land in Frankfurt and leave from Paris and travel to Austria and Switzerland and Italy and Norway without ever dealing with border stops. Makes travel in Europe much simpler. (Not all countries are signatories to the Schengen agreement, for example, Ireland and Great Britain are not.)

Thank you. :)

Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but...(you all seem so knowledgeable)...we are on Enchantment for Spring Break, and have decided not to get our kids new passports. Do we need to take their birth certificates off the ship with us when visiting in the Bahamas?