Bar Setup; Not as Advertised

RVachon

I didn't put this in my review because I thought it deserved it's own mention.

I was on the Breakaway Feb 2-9. I ordered the Bar Setup for my cabin a couple days ahead of time. My order;

1 bottle of Seagram 7 with diet pepsi mixer, no garnishes.

1 bottle of Smirnoff Vodka with cranberry, orange, and bloody mary mixers, and orange & strawberry garnishes.

They advertise this will be in the room when you board.

When I got in my cabin, this is what I got:

2j4yip2.jpg

No diet pepsi, no juices, no garnishes.

I call front desk they said they'll swap for diet pepsi, but juices, they can bring 1 glass each. If I want more, I have to pay for them.

I'm sorry, but if I'm paying $80 for a bottle, I expect to have enough mixer to cover the bottle at a standard 3:1 mix ratio. And having to deal with a juice glass? Why not have small juice boxes or something?

Anyhow, I ended up returning the vodka and kept the Seagrams. Also, 4 cans of soda doesn't cover the 3:1 mix ratio on a 1 litre bottle. I would need at least 8 cans. Good thing I had brought some extra on my own.

With that said, I probably won't be doing the bar setup again until they have a better setup.

I didn't put this in my review because I thought it deserved it's own mention.

I was on the Breakaway Feb 2-9. I ordered the Bar Setup for my cabin a couple days ahead of time. My order;

1 bottle of Seagram 7 with diet pepsi mixer, no garnishes.

1 bottle of Smirnoff Vodka with cranberry, orange, and bloody mary mixers, and orange & strawberry garnishes.

They advertise this will be in the room when you board.

When I got in my cabin, this is what I got:

2j4yip2.jpg

No diet pepsi, no juices, no garnishes.

I call front desk they said they'll swap for diet pepsi, but juices, they can bring 1 glass each. If I want more, I have to pay for them.

I'm sorry, but if I'm paying $80 for a bottle, I expect to have enough mixer to cover the bottle at a standard 3:1 mix ratio. And having to deal with a juice glass? Why not have small juice boxes or something?

Anyhow, I ended up returning the vodka and kept the Seagrams. Also, 4 cans of soda doesn't cover the 3:1 mix ratio on a 1 litre bottle. I would need at least 8 cans. Good thing I had brought some extra on my own.

With that said, I probably won't be doing the bar setup again until they have a better setup.

Understanding your frustration, but I would have hit one ofthe bars and asked and maybe tip a buck or two for garnish, as for cranberry I'm assuming they use the same stuff as in buffet area so I would ask the bar for a beer jug.

Wait a minute....I was planning on the bar set up on our Epic cruise in April. Since it's still considered Spring Break, no ubp available. Has anyone else had recent experience like the op? If so, please post. :confused:

Thank you! Happy Sailing!!

To op: frustrated would not even begin to cover my feeling after spending so much $$-thank you so much for the warning! Defiantly, not as advertised!

Sorry, but I don't believe bar set-up was advertised as providing enough mixer to cover the whole bottle. they only provide limited amount.

They said they supply up to three mixers and two garnishes. While they don't say they supply enough for the bottle, it is implied that by purchasing the bar set-up, you were also getting mixers for the "bar".

Perhaps they need to be clear about that. We were also considering the bar set-up.

They said they supply up to three mixers and two garnishes. While they don't say they supply enough for the bottle, it is implied that by purchasing the bar set-up, you were also getting mixers for the "bar".

Perhaps they need to be clear about that. We were also considering the bar set-up.

Exactly DinaS. When I placed the order for the bar setup, I asked the person how much is "3 mixers"? 3 cans? 3 bottles? 3 litres? She didn't know and couldn't find any documentation specifying so.

They need to update their documents with specific details so people know what to expect.

I guess we've been missing out...

Every time we ordered the "bar setup" we assumed we were just over-paying for a bottle anyway.

There's no way I expected them to have the mixers we all wanted in the room -- or even available on the ship.

We have always stopped at a store on the way to the ship and picked up the mixers and garnish we wanted.

In a pinch, we'd run downstairs for juices, iced tea, and fresh fruit to cut up.

That said....it really is mis-represented by calling it a "bar set-up" instead of just an over-priced bottle of booze!

:)

Edited by NEW 2 CRUISIN

Hmmmm...well, I have purchased bar set ups on other lines and I *think* I did it once on the s/s Norway (before Noah's flood) and not had this problem. If this is the case, then I guess I would agree with both sides: bad on US for assuming and bad on THEM for not being fully clear.

I'm glad to know this going in, because I was planning on buying it also and probably still will --- but I am glad for the clarification. I'm sorry you were frustrated and upset.

Sorry, but I don't believe bar set-up was advertised as providing enough mixer to cover the whole bottle. they only provide limited amount.

That's the problem - the details are lacking but, if you're supplying a "bar setup" at a premium price, I shouldn't be expected to supply half the "bar" with enough mixer to cover the bottle.

Hmmmm...well, I have purchased bar set ups on other lines and I *think* I did it once on the s/s Norway (before Noah's flood) and not had this problem. If this is the case, then I guess I would agree with both sides: bad on US for assuming and bad on THEM for not being fully clear.

I'm glad to know this going in, because I was planning on buying it also and probably still will --- but I am glad for the clarification. I'm sorry you were frustrated and upset.

It didn't bother that much - like I said I had brought some extra mixer in case this happened. My point of the post is to make people aware what they'll be getting and should prepare for it.

It didn't bother that much - like I said I had brought some extra mixer in case this happened. My point of the post is to make people aware what they'll be getting and should prepare for it.

Agreed and thank you. I do appreciate your information. It is very helpful and it is this kind of info that helps everyone to plan better.

A few years ago, we purchased a "bar set-up" on the Gem, and we were told it was JUST a bottle. At the time, they did not supply any mixers.

We knew that ahead of time and brought our own tonic, soda and limes.

Now they say they supply mixers and garnishes, so it is implied that it is for the bottle - not for just a couple of drinks.

I will call them before we order our bar set-up to assure we don't have to buy additional mixers on board.

When we ordered a bottle from CCL that's all we got, no offer of mixers or anything else. We are bringing our own Coke because I will not drink a rum and pepsi unless I absolutely have to:p. I have heard for the fresh/perishable items (juices and garnishes) all you had to do was go to the bar to request it. I just obtained the menu a few days ago and it says nothing about the mixers or garnishes.

When we ordered a bottle from CCL that's all we got, no offer of mixers or anything else. We are bringing our own Coke because I will not drink a rum and pepsi unless I absolutely have to:p. I have heard for the fresh/perishable items (juices and garnishes) all you had to do was go to the bar to request it. I just obtained the menu a few days ago and it says nothing about the mixers or garnishes.

I also requested the liquor menu, and it said nothing about mixers, so I emailed someone at groupeventgem@ncl.com (the same person who sent me the list), and this was their response:

"When you purchase a bottle of liquor you will have the choice to select 3 garnishes and 3 mixers."

Of course NCL doesn't serve Coke products, so if that's what you drink, you will have to bring it no matter what else they may provide.

I don't expect to have to go to the bar or buffet to get my own drinks for my "bar set-up" if they are telling me they will provide it.

I also requested the liquor menu, and it said nothing about mixers, so I emailed someone at groupeventgem@ncl.com (the same person who sent me the list), and this was their response:

"When you purchase a bottle of liquor you will have the choice to select 3 garnishes and 3 mixers."

Of course NCL doesn't serve Coke products, so if that's what you drink, you will have to bring it no matter what else they may provide.

I don't expect to have to go to the bar or buffet to get my own drinks for my "bar set-up" if they are telling me they will provide it.

Thank you for this , but I note that the rep still isn't saying how much of the mixers are included.

This is very odd. I realize that we are talking about NCL, not other lines, but whenever I have ordered a bar set up, no matter the category of cabin, even a mini-fridge was included (if it wasn't already in the cabin anyway), and the garnishes were all on a small platter, and the juices/mixers were in large carafes. This whole thing is very odd in my opinion. Before I order, I plan to pin them down to exactly how much is included and I think that's what the OP wants -- is for people to be aware and to be sure of what they are ordering. Very odd indeed.

Edited by artist47

Thank you for this , but I note that the rep still isn't saying how much of the mixers are included.

This is very odd. I realize that we are talking about NCL, not other lines, but whenever I have ordered a bar set up, no matter the category of cabin, even a mini-fridge was included (if it wasn't already in the cabin anyway), and the garnishes were all on a small platter, and the juices/mixers were in large carafes. This whole thing is very odd in my opinion. Before I order, I plan to pin them down to exactly how much is included and I think that's what the OP wants -- is for people to be aware and to be sure of what they are ordering. Very odd indeed.

Please let us know what you find out when you ask how much is included. We are sailing on the Gem next month.

Thanks!

We love to cruise and we love to have our favorite drinks available to us in our room so we've done the bar set-up on all but one of our NCL cruises. I find cruising in general very expensive (especially living the suite life) so I don't get too worked up over the mixers. Like others we bring it with us. I pack a role of clear packing tape and extra luggage tags. We always drop into a local CVS or other store to buy a case of water and our preferred mixers, slap a room tag on each and then wrap them up with packing tape for good measure and then hand it all off at the pier with our luggage. They've always arrived without issue to our room... In March we plan to pick up 4-6 bottles of wine for our 8 nights on the Gem. at $15/bottle corkage fee and the $80/bottle of booze we'll still save a bundle vs paying full freight for every glass of liquid. :D

For as long as I can remember (long time now), it has always been three mixes. Meaning it has always been three cans of soda, or 3 cans of bloody mary mix or whatever. No where have they ever said they would provide enough to mix a litre of alcohol or whatever you ask for. A bottle contains either 21 or 32 shots depending on who pours. So you expect to get enough mix for that many drinks??? Not happening and never has. There are dozens of posts on this board regarding what you get.

The only unlimited mixes and garnishes have been for the DOS, OS and GV.

If you were in one of those categories of suites, then you have some recourse.

Good luck!!

Agreed with the others, have done the bar setup many times and this is exactly what they give you. I asked my room steward and they got some garnishes for me, but truthfully it was unnecessary. We also drink our vodka with Vitamin water or Red Bull so I just bring it with us, no big deal. It is basically so we can make drinks in our room, and it works for that purpose.

For as long as I can remember (long time now), it has always been three mixes. Meaning it has always been three cans of soda, or 3 cans of bloody mary mix or whatever. No where have they ever said they would provide enough to mix a litre of alcohol or whatever you ask for. A bottle contains either 21 or 32 shots depending on who pours. So you expect to get enough mix for that many drinks??? Not happening and never has. There are dozens of posts on this board regarding what you get.

The only unlimited mixes and garnishes have been for the DOS, OS and GV.

If you were in one of those categories of suites, then you have some recourse.

Good luck!!

At $80+ a bottle...you're damn right I would expect the mixers to be included....

6&8

At $80+ a bottle...you're damn right I would expect the mixers to be included....

6&8

You certainly can expect anything. However, they supply 3 mixes, not unlimited mixes. Never has NCL delivered, not have they promised anything more than 3 mixes. $80 per bottle is still much cheaper than by the drink prices. 21 drinks at lets say $7 is how much? $147 last time I looked!! They always deliver what is promised, 3 mixes.

You can however, stay in a DOS/OS/GV and get all the mixes you want, and they don't charge for the booze either.

Edited by rvsullivan

You certainly can expect anything. However, they supply 3 mixes, not unlimited mixes. Never has NCL delivered, not have they promised anything more than 3 mixes. $80 per bottle is still much cheaper than by the drink prices. 21 drinks at lets say $7 is how much? $147 last time I looked!! They always deliver what is promised, 3 mixes.

You can however, stay in a DOS/OS/GV and get all the mixes you want, and they don't charge for the booze either.

Agreed. Before the three mixers were included (a year or two ago), "bar setup" included no mixers at all. Since they have started including mixers and garnishes, it has been very clear to me that it was three cans, not three UNLIMITED mixers. As for the juices, etc, the OP actually got a better deal, as those juices are free on board, unlike the cans of soda.. It's very easy to request a pitcher for cranberry or orange juice from the buffet, leaving the three mixers for whatever soda or canned product you desire. We have always brought our own mixers on board, or purchased extra cans (very cheap!), or picked up a pitcher of juice from the buffet, and have never felt misled or ripped off.. Bar setup is a great economic and convenient deal for those of us that enjoy it, please don't ruin it for the rest of us...

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I just got off the phone with the NCL rep. Four sodas if ordered, Three mixes, NOT unlimited, but three cans , if garnishes, a small plate.

This to me, is fair, although I will say that on Star Clippers, it's a bit more lavish.

Looks like those who want more mixers will have to bring them onboard. As for myself, I am cruising solo, so it works fine for me. I just paid for mine.