Who? What? Wine?

POA1

Now that the corkage thing seems to be settled, I was wondering....

Just out of curiosity, if you take your own wine on the ship, what do you bring?

There are no wrong answers and please don't be disrespectful of someone else's choices. Wine is highly personal.

Just out of curiosity, if you take your own wine on the ship, what do you bring?

There are no wrong answers and please don't be disrespectful of someone else's choices. Wine is highly personal.

My favourite is Copper Moon Pinot Grigio, so I take that on my Alaska cruises from Vancouver.

Next is a Reisling that I am fond of and can't for the life of me remember the name right now.... this age thing is crap! But it's not expensive.

Personally, I prefer a spreadsheet, replete with wines that are:

• available from Total Wine,
  • rated 90 points or higher by the Wine Spectator,
  • not available to purchase on the ship

Then use a pre-determined algorhythm to evaluate value based on point rating, price, and ml of the bottle.

It's even better when someone in my travel party generates this list for me ....

My favourite is Copper Moon Pinot Grigio, so I take that on my Alaska cruises from Vancouver.

Next is a Reisling that I am fond of and can't for the life of me remember the name right now.... this age thing is crap! But it's not expensive.

bingo--copper moon pinot is my fav. then again any pinot is :D

Startwin, if you like Apothic, have a look for "Wine O'Clock" -- first time I bought it, it was because the name made me laugh. It is actually a decent Canadian wine, at a very decent price point. I buy it fairly regularly now.

I will definitely look out for that one. I recently tried one called "Screw It" - it was surprisingly enjoyable.:D

Personally, I prefer a spreadsheet, replete with wines that are:

• available from Total Wine,
  • rated 90 points or higher by the Wine Spectator,
  • not available to purchase on the ship

Then use a pre-determined algorhythm to evaluate value based on point rating, price, and ml of the bottle.

It's even better when someone in my travel party generates this list for me ....

So these may or may not be wines that you yourself have actually tasted and pronounced to be good?

We are the Odd Balls.

We do not bring wine onto the ships -- we are not big wine drinkers. But we do like to enjoy a really good bottle of wine once in a while.

Also -- we do not sneak alcohol onto the ship. We pre-order alcohol for our cabin. And we do not make drinks in our cabin and take them wherever on the ship.

We are the Odd Balls.

We do not bring wine onto the ships -- we are not big wine drinkers. But we do like to enjoy a really good bottle of wine once in a while.

Also -- we do not sneak alcohol onto the ship. We pre-order alcohol for our cabin. And we do not make drinks in our cabin and take them wherever on the ship.

I don't think sneaking alcohol onto the ship is an issue with HAL passengers, nor is making drinks in your cabin and taking them out and about. I believe most HAL cruisers - if we are to judge by this forum - are pretty upfront, and just like to take a bottle or two of wine. You don't see much mention of smuggling alcohol on here, as opposed to some of the forums.

I generally prefer red wine - chosen by pretty labels.

We don't bring Copper Moon on board as we can get it here ;) It's a nice one - no question - but ........We don't buy wines we can get here in Atlantic Canada - we look for wines we can't get.

Every time is literally trial and error - we hit Total Wine when we are there and rely on their recommendations and our research. We usually look at what they have available on line and do a smidge of research in advance.

In Europe - it very much depends upon the country we are in - We research a few vintages and couple that with relying on the help of locals and so far we have lucked out:D

There are some incredible wines there :)

Edited by kazu

We are the Odd Balls.

I don't think sneaking alcohol onto the ship is an issue with HAL passengers, nor is making drinks in your cabin and taking them out and about. I believe most HAL cruisers - if we are to judge by this forum - are pretty upfront, and just like to take a bottle or two of wine. You don't see much mention of smuggling alcohol on here, as opposed to some of the forums.

I don't think "smuggling" is a big deal on HAL. Notice how, when the old-new policy was being discussed, we were all hoping for a better wine list, and discussing the wine packages. Didn't see 100s of threads about rum-runners and using cleaned-out Scope bottles on this forum :D :eek:

We don't drink hard alcohol, generally, and it is not worth the cost to order a bottle of "hard stuff" for the cabin -- I am just as happy to toddle off to a bar or lounge to get a drink if I want one.

Sneaking alcohol onboard is more widespread than you think. The experts have it down to a science with their plastic flasks and containers hidden in luggage. They go to any extent to avoid detection.

Depending on how much my luggage weighs before adding a bottle of wine, if I can I will bring the two wonderful reds I got in Napa last fall. (They will only be in the luggage for our flights, in carryon for the ship). I will augment these with 2 or three bottles from Total Wine (probably "the Fugitive" and/or "G3". We have a ten day cruise and going with friends.

Sneaking alcohol onboard is more widespread than you think. The experts have it down to a science with their plastic flasks and containers hidden in luggage. They go to any extent to avoid detection.

On HAL ships? I know it's common discussion on some other forums, but you seldom see it mentioned here..... rumrunners, and the like.

And if KK thinks she is an oddball for not sneaking wine onto the ship - well, there are a lot us oddballs, then.;) I prefer to think we are rather normal.:D

I asked the question assuming that we're all paying our corkage. We always have, and we have actually have to rethink our strategy now because we never had "room wines" in our plans before.

We are partial to Cabernet Sauvignon, particularly some of the Washington State wines such as those from Sterling Vintners, Chateau Ste. Michelle, and Columbia Crest. Reasonably priced and to our liking. :)

I asked the question assuming that we're all paying our corkage. We always have, and we have actually have to rethink our strategy now because we never had "room wines" in our plans before.

I liked your question, and I am interested in the responses. I'm surprised it got turned around to booze smuggling, or carrying your own drinks around onboard.

and BTW - I have no problem paying corkage for my screwtops.:D:D

Be sure to add a cork screw to your "Bring Along" list so you can enjoy your "room wines", unless of course you go the screw cap route!;):)

Be sure to add a cork screw to your "Bring Along" list so you can enjoy your "room wines", unless of course you go the screw cap route!;):)

Call them Stelvin Enclosures. It really classes up the term screw top.

That said, there are many, many excellent wines that use screw tops.

And finally, we carry cork screws and foil cutters with us. We're not savages.

We are leaving on a TA in April, will check out Total wine - the French and Israelie wines, since Passover occurs during our cruise, will take some kosher wine.

You can check Total Wine's inventory online if I recall correctly, there are a few dozen selections from Israel. They usually set up holiday displays. You can also search on the word Kosher on their site. They even stock Laurent Perrier Kosher Champagne. Who knew?