New Carnival Cruiser - questions

Shmoo here

Hi, everyone!

So, hubby and I just booked a last minute cruise on the Inspiration (very last minute – we leave on Monday) :cool:.

We’ve cruised on a couple of other lines before, but have a few basic questions.

I see there are 2 dining rooms onboard. Is one for the fixed seating, and the other the open seating (or whatever it’s called)? If so, which is which? We’re currently waitlisted for early dining, will we find out our table number and what seating we wound up with at check in at the port?

Regarding non-alcoholic drinks, I see that “guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages”. What is a “small quantity”? Would a 12 pack of sodas be allowed?

Following that same train of thought, what brand of soda is served onboard? And what is the cost of one?

We’re doing a 4 night cruise; will there be an Elegant Dress night?

I know the gratuities are pre-paid. On one of the cruise lines we’ve cruised, we get tip vouchers/envelopes in our room at the end of the cruise to hand to the people we tip, while on the other, no envelopes. How does Carnival handle it? Can we tip additionally, in cash, directly to, say, our dining room server or room steward?

One last one: our boarding pass says our boarding time is 1:00-4:30. In our experience, all our cruises were “boarding at 1:00”, but in reality were open earlier than that. We’re going out of Long Beach, CA. How does it work there?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Shmoo here

Hi, everyone!

So, hubby and I just booked a last minute cruise on the Inspiration (very last minute – we leave on Monday) :cool:.

We’ve cruised on a couple of other lines before, but have a few basic questions.

I see there are 2 dining rooms onboard. Is one for the fixed seating, and the other the open seating (or whatever it’s called)? If so, which is which? We’re currently waitlisted for early dining, will we find out our table number and what seating we wound up with at check in at the port?

Regarding non-alcoholic drinks, I see that “guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages”. What is a “small quantity”? Would a 12 pack of sodas be allowed?

Following that same train of thought, what brand of soda is served onboard? And what is the cost of one?

I know the gratuities are pre-paid. On one of the cruise lines we’ve cruised, we get tip vouchers/envelopes in our room at the end of the cruise to hand to the people we tip, while on the other, no envelopes. How does Carnival handle it? Can we tip additionally, in cash, directly to, say, our dining room server or room steward?

One last one: our boarding pass says our boarding time is 1:00-4:30. In our experience, all our cruises were “boarding at 1:00”, but in reality were open earlier than that. We’re going out of Long Beach, CA. How does it work there?

Thanks for any help.

Have fun on your cruise.

The ships I have been on - One of the dining rooms upper is assigned seating, lower level is anytime.

You may bring one 12 pack of soda per person. or water, juice, Gatorade etc. You may also bring one 'normal" size bottle of wine or champagne per person over 21.

Coke products are served on the ships. Last I knew it was 1.95 per can and all drinks have 15% gratuity added on.

I believe there will be an elegant dress night. I have never been on a 4 day cruise, but am fairly certain there is.

The tips are added to your S&S card during the cruise (if you didn't prepay the gratuity). Yes, you may go to guest services and get envelopes if you would like to give additional tips to anyone.

I sailed out of Long Beach once and it was a mess (congested), but I would try to go earlier than 1:00 and see if you could get on. At least, that's what I would do.

Not sure about which dining rooms are which as I've never sailed on that particular ship. When you get on the ship go to the main dining room and you can find out your seating assignment then and change it if you need to. You are allowed one 12 pack of soda per person but it has to be in your carry on. You can also have one bottle of wine per person and it needs to be in your carry on too. :) The sodas are coca cola products but I don't know the price as we get the drink package for our teens and bring on a 12 pack each of our favorite diet drinks since carnival doesn't carry our preferred diet sodas. :( Yes there will be an elegant night not sure which night though. Carnival adds gratuities onto your bill automatically but you can go to any kiosk and adjust it according to your preferences. We hand out additional tips to our favorite staff members who go out of their way for us. We have always boarded around 10-11 am in many ports without a problem. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise. :)

So, hubby and I just booked a last minute cruise on the Inspiration (very last minute – we leave on Monday).

Congrats! I wish that they had 3 or 4 day cruises from NYC!

The Inspiration has 2 MDR - The Carnivale and the Mardi Gras (named after two now retired Carnival ships). Mardi Gras is the one that hosts the Any Time Dining.

You are allowed a 12 pack of soda/water - no larger then 20 ounce bottles/cans. Wine is also allowed to be brought on board - 1 750ml bottle per guest 21 and older.

Its coke products - Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Sprite Zero, Coke Zero, Root Beer, Orange and Ginger Ale. I dont know if its true still, but ships out of New Orleans and Galveston used to offer Dr Pepper as well. [/b]

On a 4 night cruise, it will be held on your 2nd evening on board

You are welcome to tip extra if you would like. If you order room service you should absolutely tip them when they deliver as well.

This I cannot answer as I have never embarked from LB, sorry!

There is two dining rooms. Each dining room has an upper deck

Only one deck of one dining room is used for anytime dining

Usually midship

You can not get to the dining midship dining room using the qft elevator

Nor can you get to the aft dining room from the midship elevator

[quote name=Shmoo here;41663809

We’re currently waitlisted for early dining' date=' will we find out our table number and what seating we wound up with at check in at the port?

I know the gratuities are pre-paid. On one of the cruise lines we’ve cruised, we get tip vouchers/envelopes in our room at the end of the cruise to hand to the people we tip, while on the other, no envelopes. How does Carnival handle it? Can we tip additionally, in cash, directly to, say, our dining room server or room steward?[/quote]

When you get your Sail and Sign card, it will have "Early Dining" and list the dining room or something like that on it and it will have your table assignment such as "Table 123". You can go to that dining room and see where your table is. If you don't like it, the Matre'd is usually in there and you can request a change if you don't like it. Sometime if possible they can accomodate your request.

The tips are distributed automatically. You don't have to worry about the tips at all. You won't get any envelopes. You can go to Guest Services and get envelopes if you want to give extra or you can just hand them the cash. You can also remove the tips altogether but the crew works extremely hard to make sure your cruise is memorable. Removing the tips is frowned upon by most people.

Yes, what the person above me said. If you WANT Anytime dinning (where you go and get seated on a first come first server basis like a normal restaurant) then once on board about 3PM (check on the time as it varies) one of the maitre'ds will be at the front of the dinning rooms and taking change requests. You need to go to him and ask if you can be changed to ATD if you want it. Being so close to your cruise I am pretty sure you would not be able to call Carnival and have them change it before your cruise.

Look at your Sign and Sail card when you check in. It will list Dinning room and table # and seating time (if you have a seating time you are assigned to standard timing)

You can normally go to the dinning room and find your table number (they will be marked with a little number sign) Then if you don't like what you have been assigned you can ask the MD for a change.

As far as what time to get to the port.. yes, assume they will start boarding well before 1PM. I would plan on getting there by 11AM but that is me. We normally go very early..

have a great cruise!

Hi, everyone!

In my experience, the dining rooms are in the same location (I have only been on Carnival Pride - other ships may be different) early & late on the main floor & as you wish (or whatever they call it) in the balcony area.

yes 12 sodas is allowed. I don't recall which brand they sell, but the price is close to $2.50 a can. (Not unlike HAL, since you have cruised with them.)

You've gotten good answers to all your questions, so I will just add that being assigned Anytime Dining is not the end of the world. My dad has to eat early for health reasons, so when we cruised together last and Early Dining wasn't available (it always fills first) we gave Anytime a try. We showed up at 6:00 every night and were seated at the same table with the same servers. It was really no different from assigned dining, other than the fact that we were free to change it up as we saw fit without inconveniencing anyone.

You'll read different things about people's experiences with a wait at the dining room, but if you go when they open chances are that you won't have a wait at all.

Have a great cruise!

If you are a big soda drinker you may be interested in bottomless bubbles which allows you unlimited sodas for the duration of your trip. You need to drink at least 3 a day to break even.

• Child Rate: $4.50/Day (17 years of age and younger)
  • Adult Rate: $6.00/Day (18 years of age and older)
  • A 15% gratuity will be added to price when purchasing the program.
  • Optional: A Carnival soft drink tumbler may be purchased for an additional $4.95 with the program or for $9.95 without the program.
  • Pricing is subject to sales tax when purchased prior to the cruise or at port. You can purchase on the first night, or the next morning to avoid the taxes while in international waters.

It looks like most of your questions have been answered. So I'll just add this:

We've sailed out of Long Beach quite a few times and have had an assortment of experiences at that port lol. Sometimes it's been a piece of cake and other times, not so much.

Oh, and I can confirm that you'll have an elegant night on your 4 day. I don't recall which night though.

Have a great time!

Thanks, everyone!

Just some comments -

Tips - we have no intention of removing tips. In all our cruises we've only not added to the gratuities once. I am in agreement that the people who work in the ships certainly are worth every penny. I hope we find the same on Carnival.

Dining - while we would prefer the early seating, late is fine with us. We're not so crazy about Any Time Dining. I like being seated with the same tablemates, you learn so much from them (especially if they are from other countries). We tend to get along with most people and haven't had any bad tablemates yet. And, I know my table/seat is there when I get to the dining room, and I won't have to wait.

Soda package - would both of us have to purchase the package - so $12.00 a day? Or can just one of us get it?

OK, here's a couple more questions:

Can I order multiple items at dinner? Like can I have 2 appetizers, as well as an entrée? Or just order 2 entrées (or 2 desserts :rolleyes:)?

Will my cocktail dress with super high heels be too much for elegant night? Or should I just stick with dress pants and sparkly top?

No both of you don't have to get the soda package. And your drink server will remember your soda preference and have it waiting for you at dinner every night if you ask. We order two items all the time and often share them. :D Both outfits are fine and neither would stick out.

I brought dresses for all dinners, elegant or casual. We like to dress up for dinner on a cruise. It makes it just that more special.

My hubby often has two appetizers, a salad, maybe soup too, and an entree. They just bring them one after the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No both of you don't have to get the soda package. And your drink server will remember your soda preference and have it waiting for you at dinner every night if you ask. We order two items all the time and often share them. :D Both outfits are fine and neither would stick out.

Both of you don't have to order the soda package but you can't share it either. By that I mean that if one of you pruchase it, you can't order two sodas at the same time and give it to the other one.

Will my cocktail dress with super high heels be too much for elegant night? Or should I just stick with dress pants and sparkly top?

you are on a moving vessal. If you hit rough waters those super high heels will be hard to manage.

you can have as many and whatever you want to eat

There is two dining rooms. Each dining room has an upper deck

Only one deck of one dining room is used for anytime dining

Usually midship

You can not get to the dining midship dining room using the qft elevator

Nor can you get to the aft dining room from the midship elevator

Serene... I'm confused. On the Inspiration, both MDR's are on the same deck and they are only on one deck each. Am I missing something? :confused:

you are on a moving vessal. If you hit rough waters those super high heels will be hard to manage.

you can have as many and whatever you want to eat

Well.... I've worn these heels on prior cruises. The first time on an Alaskan cruise, for formal night when the captain announced that we would be hitting rough waters and "ladies, please, no high heels for dinner". They closed all the doors to the outside decks that night. Yes, I wore my heels to dinner, with no problems.

Serene... I'm confused. On the Inspiration, both MDR's are on the same deck and they are only on one deck each. Am I missing something? :confused:

there is a dead end (which is the galley) that deck does not go all the way through. so if you have the mid ship dioning room and heading down on the aft elevator you will not be able to get through

Yes, sorry there is only one deck of the dining rooms. (but its still a dead end

And your drink server will remember your soda preference and have it waiting for you at dinner every night if you ask.

This is VERY hopeful...as in, I hope you have this experience. Because we couldn't even get WATER filled in the MDR for our assigned seating dinner every night, and I poured my own coffee for breakfast off the waiter's stand in the MDR. Service is awful, at least the last 2 cruises I have had...

(Half of me wants to say, Don't do it Shmoo! I wouldn't take a CCL for free after the last one... but maybe you will have a better recent experience than I did... it used to be a lot better before 2012... now that I've done DCL, my husband will literally have to drag me back on CCL if that's what our friends insist on again... Be sure and let us know what you think...)