Rhine vs. Danube

rwr235

Hi,

To all you River Cruise veterans...

If I am planning a 2015 River Cruise for my wife, another couple and myself...without regard to Cruise Line at this point (I have that narrowed down)...and knowing that this will probably be our only opportunity to take a river cruise for quite some time (work, aging parents, family obligations etc); and we will have 2 weeks max time limit.

Seeking your advice:

Danube...with pre/post stays in Prague and Budapest ?

-or-

Rhine...with pre/post stays in Amsterdam and Lucerne and Zurich ?

My wife and our friends have never been to any of these countries in Europe; we are all active and much enjoy self-exploration of towns/cities; love discovering new wines/coffees-shops; small cafes etc. And I LOVE photography...mostly scenery !

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Woody

I frankly loved the Danube cruise. Did 4 days in Budapest prior and 4 days in Prague post cruise. They are both very special cities and they were at the top of my Bucket List. And they were certainly worth every minute we stayed in them. It was our first river cruise. But our next river cruise will be the Rhine. Everyone says it is just beautiful. Therefore I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I am not as excited about Amsterdam and Lucerne or Zurich as I was Prague and Budapest.

I have done the Danube (Amsterdam to Vienna) four times and the Rhine (Basel to Antwerp) twice. I prefer the Rhine for it diversity and the addition of cruising on the Moselle river. You cannot go wrong with either choice.

You are correct that you can't go wrong, but we have done both and if I had to choose between a repeat - it would be the Rhine. Loved the castles, the charming villages along the way and if you can book it where you will be in Amsterdam in the Spring, the tulips are spectacular. Don't be so sure that it will be your "only" river cruise. It is easy to get hooked. ;)

Cole

Thanks all for the replies so far...guess at this point...it's "flip a coin" !!:D

Have considered a longer cruise...Ideal (in my eyes) would be Amsterdam to Budapest...however, considering the need to fly in at least a day or two early, to allow for any delays...and to get time-adjusted...the 14-17 days itinerary exceeds our max of 2 weeks tops. When we have travelled for ocean/ship cruises...the pre/post stays are a huge part of the total enjoyment too. It's always so nice to have a few days in a new city, after having reluctantly been forced to debark from a cruise :D:( ...Helps the vacation ease into coming close to an end !

Thanks again...and I will look forward to any other suggestions too.

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Thanks all for the replies so far...guess at this point...it's "flip a coin" !!:D

Have considered a longer cruise...Ideal (in my eyes) would be Amsterdam to Budapest...however, considering the need to fly in at least a day or two early, to allow for any delays...and to get time-adjusted...the 14-17 days itinerary exceeds our max of 2 weeks tops. When we have travelled for ocean/ship cruises...the pre/post stays are a huge part of the total enjoyment too. It's always so nice to have a few days in a new city, after having reluctantly been forced to debark from a cruise :D:( ...Helps the vacation ease into coming close to an end !

Thanks again...and I will look forward to any other suggestions too.

Woody

Did Budapest to Amsterdam and it was wonderful, although cruise was 16 nights. If I had to choose though, I think I'd go with the Danube. It's exquisitely beautiful.....and I love Budapest. Can't speak to Prague 'cause I'm going there in June but from everyone I know who's been there, it's going to be wonderful. Whichever you choose, you cannot make a bad choice and trust us, you will be hooked!!!

Either of the two itineraries you mention are great. We've done Amsterdam to Basel (with Lucerne and Zurich) and loved it. We look forward to doing Prague to Budapest in the future.

You don't mention the month in 2015 you are planning for. That might bring out different rankings. [i don't have any info here, just think these regions might be different if you are locked into, say, May vs. August.]

Both rivers are amazing... but would personally choose the Danube over the Rhine if only for the pre/post stays. We love Budapest. It is very walkable. Lots to see, lots to photograph, great food. Prices are fairly reasonable (compared to other European cities).

We also love Prague. Again, lots to see and do - and great food!!!

Just be aware that Prague is a few hours away from Nuremburg or Passau (where most trips begin/end).

We did the Rhine on a Christmas market cruise - and would like to go back to see the scenery again in nicer weather. But, don't have a burning desire to see Amsterdam again (was there for our Tulip time cruise) - nor go to Lucerne or Zurich. We found the people quite rude in Basel... Quite a shock for me after experiencing warm hospitality in Geneva. Maybe just the people we met - but didn't leave me clamoring to go back to Switzerland.

However - I think that you would enjoy either cruise. Your dates may help you decide. People are already starting to book for 2015 (me included...) so just don't wait too long!!!

Have fun planning.

Fran

Edited by franski

We lived in Augsburg, Germany (near Munich) for four years and visited all the cities on the Rhine and Danube without river cruising. You cannot go wrong with either choice. It is like do you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

A really beautiful river area off the Rhine is the Mosel river.

If you visit Switzerland, I suggest Lucerne over Zurich. You can spend two weeks in Switzerland alone and not see everything worth seeing.

We lived in Augsburg, Germany (near Munich) for four years and visited all the cities on the Rhine and Danube without river cruising. You cannot go wrong with either choice. It is like do you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

Lucky you! We spent a day and an overnight in Augsburg last June. That whole area is beautiful... Looking forward to our Rhine cruise late next month / early April. :)

If you visit Switzerland, I suggest Lucerne over Zurich. You can spend two weeks in Switzerland alone and not see everything worth seeing.

We are sure finding this out... The more we read about Switzerland, the more we want to do. Going to have to start cutting down on our itinerary!

Back to the original topic - glad to hear that people like both choices. We tried the Danube twice and are 0-for-2, so figured we'd try the Rhine and see if we have better luck! Fingers crossed...

We sailed from Budapest to Amsterdam. We love Budapest. We were ready to leave the ship at Koln as the Rhine gets very busy with commercial barges etc at this point. Castles on the Rhine were fantastic but wished we could have disembarked once we left the castle area of the Rhine. We don't need to ever return to Amsterdam....been there too many times. We've also been to Prague numerous times as my husband's family is from Moravia.

Back to the original topic - glad to hear that people like both choices. We tried the Danube twice and are 0-for-2, so figured we'd try the Rhine and see if we have better luck! Fingers crossed...

Just curious. What led to the "0?"

Two different reasons...

We signed up for a November 2012 Danube cruise, but then got an opportunity to visit Egypt during the brief period of stability at half-price with A&K. Too good to pass up, so we canceled.

Then we tried again in early June of last year. We all know what happened then with the floods! Luckily, Avalon was proactive, and we got canceled a few days before sailing. So we visited Bavaria and Vienna on our own for 2 weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I vote for the Danube; as mentioned Prague and Budapest are stunning and if your group has not seen Europe these two cities will blow them away.

However, I agree with the others; you can't go wrong with either river!

Have fun planning!

If you only want to be away from home, here is another suggested route:

Paris to Normandy and back. One's first visit to Europe probably should include Paris! (or perhaps you've been to Europe, just not the Rhine and Danube itineraries--I couldn't tell from your OP) and the villages on that route are absolutely lovely. Normandy is heartbreaking and stunning.

Mr Wonderful and I are also avid and very amateur photographers. Budapest and Prague are "grand" cities and Amsterdam is more intimate so your photos will reflect that.

If you only want to be away from home, here is another suggested route:

Paris to Normandy and back. One's first visit to Europe probably should include Paris! (or perhaps you've been to Europe, just not the Rhine and Danube itineraries--I couldn't tell from your OP) and the villages on that route are absolutely lovely. Normandy is heartbreaking and stunning.

Mr Wonderful and I are also avid and very amateur photographers. Budapest and Prague are "grand" cities and Amsterdam is more intimate so your photos will reflect that.

Hi,

Thanks for more info...not our first visit, but the two itineraries would be my wife's first introduction to Hungary/Austria and Switzerland/Netherlands...we enjoyed Paris (and Germany) 2 years ago...so with each new trip I try to pick places she has never been...and probably never thought she would be !

Thanks again

Woody

Two different reasons...

We signed up for a November 2012 Danube cruise, but then got an opportunity to visit Egypt during the brief period of stability at half-price with A&K. Too good to pass up, so we canceled.

Then we tried again in early June of last year. We all know what happened then with the floods! Luckily, Avalon was proactive, and we got canceled a few days before sailing. So we visited Bavaria and Vienna on our own for 2 weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Aha! I totally misread your post. Thought you went twice and did not enjoy the trip. Better luck if you go for three.