Getaway "Returnees"

GeorgiaGirl14

At night, Howl at the Moon boasted incredible performers (catering to a somewhat more mature audience perhaps) and the Grammy Experience was packed every night as well, with people thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Was it difficult to find a seat at these venues?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

thanks for posting the mini review! im so glad you enjoyed your cruise!

was Levity Entertainment a big improvement from Second City?

I'd like to know that too! None of our group enjoyed second city on the epic, we walked out of the show.

Tiffygirl, we were on the epic in January with you, do you have the getaway booked now?

We just booked it for jan. 3!

Was it difficult to find a seat at these venues?

We didn't have a problem finding seats at Howl or the GE. People seemed to "rotate in and out", and we would generally wander in late after dinner. The venues are casual and seem to have a more specific following - we would see the same people again and again (unlike the main stage shows, where to get a good seat, you really want to line up 45 min early, even if you made reservations).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thanks for posting the mini review! im so glad you enjoyed your cruise!

was Levity Entertainment a big improvement from Second City?

We met some really nice people on board, who raved about Levity and said they liked it so much better. As you can probably tell from my reply, I didn't actually see the show myself. It was one of the few things we didn't do :D. The challenge with entertainment and with humor in particular is that what works for some doesn't work for everybody. For a good laugh and some old fashioned 'sing along', I really recommend Howl at the Moon, which I realize isn't for everyone, but know that the humor applied in Headliners at Howl is definitely different in the early evening from late at night. I think NCL is getting better about communicating that.

We met some really nice people on board, who raved about Levity and said they liked it so much better. As you can probably tell from my reply, I didn't actually see the show myself. It was one of the few things we didn't do :D. The challenge with entertainment and with humor in particular is that what works for some doesn't work for everybody. For a good laugh and some old fashioned 'sing along', I really recommend Howl at the Moon, which I realize isn't for everyone, but know that the humor applied in Headliners at Howl is definitely different in the early evening from late at night. I think NCL is getting better about communicating that.

I have to assume that Howl at the Moon is probably identical to the on land chain of bars found around the country, only in less space. I frequent there regularly, and am pleased that the show on board doesn't disappoint.

Hi we are sailing the Getaway in June....Wondering what is a VIBE pass? Can we reserve our pool chairs for the cruise? Other cruise lines we've sailed didn't have that. :p

Hey jdrouin, Vibe is like a private area next to The Haven's private area (deck 17). It has 2 hot tub's a private bar and many lounge chairs as well as 5 cabannas. All for a price, don't know that ($75 maybe for the week) they only sell a limited amount so they sell out quickly. If you have a suite you can use The Haven's area so no need to get The Vibe pass. No, reserving lounge chairs. I think we are on the same sailing (June 14). If we are on the same sailing I talk to you on our Roll Call..:)

If you are on facebook follow cruise critic. Here is the link. The dailies are on there...

https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10101476950835536.1025934674&type=3

I just spent 30 minutes waiting for a gazillion thumbnails to load, and the only Dailies I found were a couple from a 2 day cruise to nowhere. If there are truly Dailies posted there yesterday from Getaway's Eastern Caribbean cruise that just returned yesterday, can you help out with a more specific link? Thank you!

I just spent 30 minutes waiting for a gazillion thumbnails to load, and the only Dailies I found were a couple from a 2 day cruise to nowhere. If there are truly Dailies posted there yesterday from Getaway's Eastern Caribbean cruise that just returned yesterday, can you help out with a more specific link? Thank you!

I just did the same thing..UGH!!!:(

I have to assume that Howl at the Moon is probably identical to the on land chain of bars found around the country, only in less space. I frequent there regularly, and am pleased that the show on board doesn't disappoint.

It is, and we absolutely loved it on the Epic! In fact, that is our first night of entertainment for the Getaway!

Okay, here goes, I (insert drumroll) LOVED it! Just got back today from the first post christening sailing and since I am fairly new I did not keep my dailies thinking a more experienced CC member would already be on top of it. So sorry, feel free to smack me :D.

The embarkation was pretty painless, got to the port at around 10:45 am, was given a group 8 pass and immediately made my way down to the service desk to get Vibe passes, which turned out to be an awesome decision as the ship was super crowded. Yay CC for educating me.

Service

I have no clue what people are complaining about service wise. I had a couple of instances where things were slightly "slow". However, given this was the first voyage with a full ship and training was still in full swing I thought everyone did a great job. Happy faces dominated. Lots of reps on hand from corporate to make sure anything that remotely qualified for improvement was addressed. I sailed in October on the Breakaway and like this ship (her twin sister and identical in so many ways) much better. The whole Miami theme just feels more"sunny" and happier to me.

Restaurants

Loved Moderno and Teppanyaki. The Tropicana room is a fantastic space. Otherwise NCL regulars are familiar with the menu. I am happy to answer questions. I like good food and felt that the extra fees were well worth it.

Entertainment

Burn the Floor was fabulous, the Illusionarium show is fantastic. And I really loved Legally Blonde. Disclaimer here in that I have a child who performs in that show, but in all fairness the quality of the production is superior to most shows I have seen performed on board of ships. The same holds true for BTF and the magic show. There was also a Wine Lovers musical that was being performed as a lunch option, be aware that yes you do get a full meal that is essentially the same as ghe dinner that is served during the Illusionarium. I didn't realize that and ate the same for lunch and dinner as I attended both on the same day. Oops. Still, NCL is clearly wanting to make a statement here, because the level of talent of the performers was impressive. At night, Howl at the Moon boasted incredible performers (catering to a somewhat more mature audience perhaps) and the Grammy Experience was packed every night as well, with people thoroughly enjoying themselves.

There is tons to do for children and the club was filled with happy energetic that oozed out (my cabin was on the same deck so I had a chance to see that as I caught the elevator.

I am not really a spa girl, but I decided to treat my girlfriend and I and boy was it worth it. It was nice to relax after port day, away from the hustle bustle in the pool areas. There are plenty of lounge chairs available, but I am just not into the "bumper to bumper" tanning thing.

Conclusion

The parties were all fantastic. Instead of the White Hot there's the Glow party (like on the Breakaway) Again if you are an NCL regular, you know that Julie is an amazing Cruise Director. It actually feels as if she has identical triplet sisters, because she is just everywhere.

I can't wait to go back!

Thank you for your review! Can you tell me a little more, you got to the port at 10:45 and got on the ship right away? Which service desk did you get the vibe pass from? Do you know if you can get a cabana at the same desk? Thanks!!!

I'd like to know that too! None of our group enjoyed second city on the epic, we walked out of the show.

Tiffygirl, we were on the epic in January with you, do you have the getaway booked now?

We just booked it for jan. 3!

heey!!! I hope all is well with you!!!:D, yes I do have Getaway booked in April and December of this year. I have Epic booked again for Jan 4..we are still on the same cruise schedule.:D

thanks for the feedback:) im not a big howl at the moon person, im good for about 15 or 20 minutes in there. but it EXTREMLY popular though!!

Thank you for your review! Can you tell me a little more, you got to the port at 10:45 and got on the ship right away? Which service desk did you get the vibe pass from? Do you know if you can get a cabana at the same desk? Thanks!!!

I did get to port at 10:45, but we had to wait in the boarding area for some time (I would say til 1135 ish). Checking in was really fast. The girl behind the desk said that after 12 things get really busy with long lines, so "beating that" was worth it. After check in you proceed to the waiting area where you are given a boarding pass with a group number. Then you wait until your number gets called. I only had a small carry on with me and do when we boarded we went straight to the Atrium on Deck 7 to get in one for VIBE passes at the service desk. Note that there are "no signs" that say purchase your vibe pass here or anything, but it is the desk closest to the one where you can make your on board dinner reservations. You can reserve a cabana there too, but there's only 5 and so the chance of getting one is limited. It is cool but if you don't get one, there are some small cabanas that are first come first served and plenty of umbrellas :D.

Edited by dtchgrl618

I did get to port at 10:45, but we had to wait in the boarding area for some time (I would say til 1135 ish). Checking in was really fast. The girl behind the desk said that after 12 things get really busy with long lines, so "beating that" was worth it. After check in you proceed to the waiting area where you are given a boarding pass with a group number. Then you wait until your number gets called. I only had a small carry on with me and do when we boarded we went straight to the Atrium on Deck 7 to get in one for VIBE passes at the service desk. Note that there are "no signs" that say purchase your vibe pass here or anything, but it is the desk closest to the one where you can make your on board dinner reservations. You can reserve a cabana there too, but there's only 5 and so the chance of getting one is limited. It is cool but if you don't get one, there are some small cabanas that are first come first served and plenty of umbrellas :D.

I did get to port at 10:45....

I'm curious if your dd has been employed with NCL for very long and if you used her family & friends discount? If you'd rather not discuss here, can you email me at my address below? Also, do you happen to have a mailing address for sending stuff to your daughter aboard the Getaway? (Sons are the worst for getting info and details!)

This is my first review. Let me give some details about us (hubby and I); we have been cruising since 1984, with most (over 700) days on Holland America. Previously, with NCL, we have been on the Norway and took 2 short trips to the Bahamas a few years ago. We haven't traveled much with NCL as we weren't crazy about the Freestyle aspect; we are more traditionalists. But, this ship worked the Freestyle aspect fantastically!

We had a very small, interior-interior (inside hallway) cabin on the 11th floor. Probably as small a cabin as any we have ever been in but it was laid out wonderfully, with every nook and cranny utilized as storage. The bathroom was a very workable size and the shower was larger than others we've been in on other lines (in the smaller cabins). The joke about putting the soap on the wall and spinning around to wash yourself doesn't apply here. LOL!

The only problem was that there was no place to sit, other than a small stool (with storage in it!) that didn't quite fit under the desk well enough. Getting up in the middle of the night, I would have been tripping over it to get to the bathroom so we put it in the closet. Speaking of, the closet was fine for the 2 of us; we travel pretty light and with Freestyle there was no need for tons of fancy clothing. The safe in the closet even has a light in it...which the closet could use but we just used a flashlight if we couldn't find something in the far reaches.

Regarding the crew, the crew on the ship is mostly made up of a group that "opens" new ships. They are very experienced and you generally get good service. If they were all in training, there is no way that this trip would have gone as well as it did. Most of them had opened the Breakaway when she started too.

Food; everything was quite good, the service was good everywhere except in Cagney's where we felt a bit rushed. We each got the NY strip and agreed we'd had better. The best meal we had was in Le Bistro where we had the pork dish which was excellent along with the service. We ate at La Cucina twice but felt the food was marginal regarding tastefulness. One night in the Flamingo room and two nights in Taste where the food and service was good. We spent most of our time in O'Sheehan's where the food and service was excellent. Nice, relaxing place for breakfast rather than the craziness up at the Garden Cafe. Lunch several times also with the pretty decent fish and chips. One time at Shanghai's which was good too although they never looked terribly busy. If you order wine and don't finish your bottle, they hold onto it and give you a ticket that you present at the next venue you eat at and and they go and get it. Pretty nice!

Sea days found us trying to find comfortable shaded areas to sit in as we are not sun worshippers. There are a couple places on the pool deck; one outside the forward elevators on 15. The (uncomfortable deck chairs) are set up in sets of 3 with a very small space in between them. Other than that, the only place outside with shade was at one of the few setups of very comfy patio furniture along The Waterfront on 8. With a couple of them right by bars, finding a seat and no smoking around you was difficult at best. This was probably our biggest gripe; the lack of comfortable seating in the shade. We did note that there seemed to be a decent number of people out trolling for an empty shaded seat on deck 8 and there is plenty of room for more of that kind of seating so maybe they will change that.

Evenings we were either outside on 8 or in by the Sugarcane bar where I had the best Mojito's I've ever had!

Shows: We went to Burn the Floor which was excellent! Those dancers didn't stop for a solid hour and we had gone to the second show. Cancelled Legally Blonde after the welcome aboard show where they did a short bit from the show. They were loud and piercing and you couldn't understand what they were singing. Just our opinion, mind you...we would like to understand the lyrics and have intact eardrums when we leave, thank you very much. We went to the show with the 2 comedians that they had in the main theater and enjoyed that. We never did get to the individual comedy shows but we would have liked to.

Music: Latin Express was fantastic. They were in the Flamingo room for dinner and dancing most nites but one nite they came to the Sugarcane bar and rocked the place long past they were supposed to! We just wouldn't let them go and they really didn't seem to want to either as everyone, them included, was having a ton of fun.

Boarding/Debarking the ship: We arrived about 11:15 and basically just walked on the ship; no number or anything. We had our luggage delivered and took it off ourselves when we got off on the last day. That was very easy and didn't take long at all.

I hope I covered everything and helped some of you out! If I didn't mention something, it's because we didn't go/utilize it. Final decision...would we go again? Most definitely!

Linda R.

I will add a comment about the crew and service. I am sure there were some of the staff who are fairly new, but I met over 20 people ( servers and officers) who I know have been with NCL for over five years and most of the crew were hand picked to bring out the new ship.

Another comment I will add is that one week is not enough time to enjoy all that is available on this wonderful ship. Don't disappoint yourself by too much planning based on the Freestyle dailies or menus. They have the flexibility to change both on a daily basis.

I don't write nor read reviews because everyone has opinions and I have mine. The energy level on this ship exceeded anything I have experienced on any ship of any line I have sailed.

Edited by swedish weave

Thanks for the review, Linda!!! You sounded very fair, especially having sailed on other lines, in your comparisons.

You guys really ARE poised and ready for reviews, aren't you? LOL!! 3 responses within a half hour of posting.

Yes, I tried to be fair....we all have different tastes of what we like and don't like. You can't please everyone so I just tried to say what we liked and didn't while comparing to our other experiences over the years.

Linda R.

If you are on facebook follow cruise critic. Here is the link. The dailies are on there...

https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10101476950835536.1025934674&type=3

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!:D First comprehensive photos I've seen of the Getaway. Torn between 3 different Haven Suites but I'm thinking I know which one I want now :-)

Great photos. Thank you again!

KrystalWaters:)