Cabin Safe Size

WayneFougere

Sorry I don't have the exact dimensions, but I'd call them small hotel safe size. A 15 laptop wouldn't fit, but we easily fit our travel wallets, cash & jewelry.

If you can tell us what you are trying to fit, someone can probably answer.

The only ships with large cabin safes are Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam.

The rest of the ships (with possible exception of Prinsendam) have safes large enough to hold approx 2 wallets, 2 cell phones, moderate size jewelry case, cash, passports and not too much else.

The door opening for Vista class ships is 10" wide by 6.75" high. Inside they are 8" deep by 12" wide. If the tablet won't fit she can get a little extra security by using the locking top drawer of the nightstand.

Ok, I guess the tablet won't fit. Thank you.

Have to say we've never locked our tablets or laptops away and have never had an issue. Maybe it's a false sense of security, and I'm not saying there hasn't ever been a theft on a cruise ship, but we've never felt a need to lock up a lot of stuff. Sure, we put jewelry, money, passports, cell phones, etc., in the safe but our other stuff like electronics, bigger cameras, etc., are just put away.

Have to say we've never locked our tablets or laptops away and have never had an issue.
I ordinarily leave my netbook on the desk unless we receive a notice that some work is planned for our room by someone other than the normal cabin stewards. In that case I put it in the nightstand top drawer, or elsewhere out of sight.

Have to say we've never locked our tablets or laptops away and have never had an issue. Maybe it's a false sense of security, and I'm not saying there hasn't ever been a theft on a cruise ship, but we've never felt a need to lock up a lot of stuff. Sure, we put jewelry, money, passports, cell phones, etc., in the safe but our other stuff like electronics, bigger cameras, etc., are just put away.

I agree.

I have never locked up my netbook. I leave it in its case on the counter and sometimes I leave it charging while we are out of the cabin. To date, not a hint of a problem in dozens of cruises for which we have carried it.

As this question comes up now and then, I measured the safe on our Veendam cruise:

6 1/2"X14"X8"

But that door opening is not 14" wide. The 14" inside width does no good if you can't get it in the door. The diagonal of the opening is about 12". Edited by jtl513

As you've suspected, my wife wants to know if her new tablet will fit.

You may have more luck with a tablet. You can put it in on an angle to fit it through the door. My laptop was too wide & thick.

The locking drawer is a good option as it keeps the machine out of sight. It's probably not as good as the safe.

If the computer has a NoteGuard slot, you can get a cable lock for about $20.

Edited by POA1

... The diagonal of the opening is about 12".

That's good information from everyone thank you. Personally, I'll just keep my iPad in the bedside drawer (the odd time it's not with me); but, my wife is concerned about losing personal information (specifically her photos) that are stored on her new machine. I bought her this tablet in the hopes that she will finally learn how to use windows while we're on the cruise (assuming she can find time to attend the free courses!).ImageUploadedByForums1392485338.380896.jpg.a07e4908cb73e232c869ef8c1abfd3b1.jpg

You may have more luck with a tablet. You can put it in on an angle to fit it through the door. My laptop was too wide & thick.

The locking drawer is a good option as it keeps the machine out of sight. It's probably not as good as the safe.

If the computer has a NoteGuard slot, you can get a cable lock for about $20.

I have a lock for my netbook and use it in some hotels but have never used it on the ships. Thus far, I've had no problem. I don't worry about a steward removing it but there is always the chance one of our fellow guests might have sticky fingers and quickly slip into our suite and spot it on the counter. It's a good idea to put it out of sight if one uses the common sense I seem to let slide. :eek: :shrug:

I agree.

I have never locked up my netbook. I leave it in its case on the counter and sometimes I leave it charging while we are out of the cabin. To date, not a hint of a problem in dozens of cruises for which we have carried it.

The other consideration is that the small computer we travel with is strictly our travel computer. In the event, heaven forbid, that it was stolen, lost, or broken the biggest impact would be the basic cost of the laptop. We store no personal information on our travel computer and we do virtually no personal business on it and don't let the computer store any banking, credit card, etc. Anybody taking or finding it would have a nice little laptop but that's about it.

I asked about leaving my netbook out and later my IPAD - I was told it was a non issue. At times I may have put them in a drawer but mostly once I had the IPAD, it was out on the desk. It was waiting for me every day when I came back to the room.

The only thing I worry about putting in the safe are cell phones (when not needed), wallets, cash, passports, jewellry - otherwise all is good :)