2015 Norway itineraries

Pluto_fan

We're in for the MSC Orchestra out of Kiel in 2015.

We chose this itinerary because it has two real fjords: Geiranger + Flam, and a Lysefjord excursion from Stavagner. So it's 3 fjord days + the sail in sail out of Bergen in between islands along the coast.

Port

Kiel

19:00 h

Bergen 10:00 h 17:00 h

Hellesylt

08:00 h 17:00 h

Flaam, 09:30 h 18:00 h

Stavanger

12:00 h 18:00 h

Kiel

Next year they have changed Goteborg and Kristiansand for Bergen + a sea day. Thoughts on that from the locals and previous cruisers?

I had been to Goteborg before, not much to see from what I recall. Kristiansand looks nice but rather unexciting maybe?

I had been to Bergen before, but not done things like taking the funicular etc. My partner has not been there. I'm looking forward to that.

I don't like having two sea days in cold climate, I hope the first part of June is not too bad!

I was about to book the Costa Fortuna out of Amsterdam, with a lovely itinerary, but was much more expensive. Even if it was two days more.

Dia Itinerario Llegada Salida 1 Amsterdam (Holanda) - 17:00 2 ... Navegación ... - - 3 Bergen (Noruega) 8:00 17:00 4 Hellesylt (Noruega) 7:00 9:00 4 Geiranger (Noruega) 11:00 18:00 5 Andalsnes (Noruega) 7:00 18:00 6 Olden (Noruega) 8:00 18:00 7 Flam (Noruega) 8:00 18:00 8 Stavanger (Noruega) 9:00 19:00 9 ... Navegación ... - - 10 Amsterdam (Holanda) 8:00 -

Kristiansand is a nice little town with a few very quaint areas.

I really like the Costa itinerary as you get 5 fjords including a trip to Lysefjord in Stavanger.

This itinerary might be more expensive but for sure more memorable.

We have booked the Azamara Quest Aug. 11-26, 2016 because it checks all the boxes on our Norway list (except Oslo -- another time!): Amsterdam--Bergen (overnight)--Flam & Gudvangen--Geiranger--Svolvaer (Lofoten Island)--Tromso--Honningsvag--Olden--Stavanger--Amsterdam

But we are waiting to see what the other smallish ships will offer so I hope there will be a 2016 thread. Thanks for the work in maintaining this one!

We have booked the Azamara Quest Aug. 11-26, 2016 because it checks all the boxes on our Norway list (except Oslo -- another time!): Amsterdam--Bergen (overnight)--Flam & Gudvangen--Geiranger--Svolvaer (Lofoten Island)--Tromso--Honningsvag--Olden--Stavanger--Amsterdam

But we are waiting to see what the other smallish ships will offer so I hope there will be a 2016 thread. Thanks for the work in maintaining this one!

Oceania apparently will release their itineraries soon (September?)

Also Viking Ocean has a fantastic Norway itinerary in 2016.

Another excellent company is Ponant cruises with their super chic yachts.

I really like your Azamara itinerary! Ports are great and since its a small ship it will sail the inside passages opposed to go out to sea when not in ports.

We were close to booking the same cruise but ended up with two others instead:D

If you need help planning your ports visit the thread in my signature and I will be happy to help.

Kristiansand is a nice little town with a few very quaint areas.

I really like the Costa itinerary as you get 5 fjords including a trip to Lysefjord in Stavanger.

This itinerary might be more expensive but for sure more memorable.

I agree! The price was twice as much though :eek: Had we have to pay a high price for the plane tickets we would have chosen the longer itinerary, but the flights to Hamburg bought in advance were quite affordable, and that lowered the total cost of the trip.

For that money difference we prefer chosing MSC and doing another trip next year. We could have chosen a interior cabin instead of a balcony and assume the little difference in that case, but we felt a balcony in the fjords is a big plus.

Also, since there are flights to several norwegian cities from Mallorca, I'd really love to make a 6 or 7 road trip days from Stavagner to Alesund or Trondheim. We know Norway is expensive, but it's so unique, I hope we can revisit someday.

I was in Norway once, when I studied in Linköping (Sweden) and made such a wonderful road trip to Goteborg, Oslo, -unidentified snow capped mountains and frozen lakes ^_^ - Bergen - unidentified camping with a waterfall in the premises! - and Stavagner -including Preikestolen-

Kristiansand looks very nice, but I have the feeling that you don't get that spectacular nature experience. But maybe you do, I have never visited that town.

I agree! The price was twice as much though :eek: Had we have to pay a high price for the plane tickets we would have chosen the longer itinerary, but the flights to Hamburg bought in advance were quite affordable, and that lowered the total cost of the trip.

For that money difference we prefer chosing MSC and doing another trip next year. We could have chosen a interior cabin instead of a balcony and assume the little difference in that case, but we felt a balcony in the fjords is a big plus.

Also, since there are flights to several norwegian cities from Mallorca, I'd really love to make a 6 or 7 road trip days from Stavagner to Alesund or Trondheim. We know Norway is expensive, but it's so unique, I hope we can revisit someday.

I was in Norway once, when I studied in Linköping (Sweden) and made such a wonderful road trip to Goteborg, Oslo, -unidentified snow capped mountains and frozen lakes ^_^ - Bergen - unidentified camping with a waterfall in the premises! - and Stavagner -including Preikestolen-

Kristiansand looks very nice, but I have the feeling that you don't get that spectacular nature experience. But maybe you do, I have never visited that town.

Sounds like you got it all figured out:) One good thing about living in Europe is the stream of inexpensive flights to/from North/South.

I agree land trips can be wonderful even though the "sea is calling you";)

Well, that's the plan, and dreaming is for free!

I like to think that way with "nearby" - that is under 3 hours of flight - destinations. We have to be flexible about travel choices and pay attention to the cost of the cruise. You have to leave something for the next time you visit

We re inexperienced cruisers. We are looking forward to a cruise to Norway in June/July of 2015 because we LOVE scenery, not as much looking at small towns. As suggested, we looked through piles of pages in this site and still have a HUGE question. We had tentatively planned on taking Princess on June 12th to Norway. However, upon checking further, apparently the boat is so huge that it cannot cruise any fjords. So, every fjord and scenic spot is an expensive additional excursion. After adding up all the $250pp excursions, the cruise is becoming prohibitively expensive, We're wondering if there is a cruise that initially seems more expensive but can actually can navigate the fjords. Advice please, especially from folks who have taken Norwegian cruises where the ship could navigate the fjords!! Thanks so much!!

We re inexperienced cruisers. We are looking forward to a cruise to Norway in June/July of 2015 because we LOVE scenery, not as much looking at small towns. As suggested, we looked through piles of pages in this site and still have a HUGE question. We had tentatively planned on taking Princess on June 12th to Norway. However, upon checking further, apparently the boat is so huge that it cannot cruise any fjords. So, every fjord and scenic spot is an expensive additional excursion. After adding up all the $250pp excursions, the cruise is becoming prohibitively expensive, We're wondering if there is a cruise that initially seems more expensive but can actually can navigate the fjords. Advice please, especially from folks who have taken Norwegian cruises where the ship could navigate the fjords!! Thanks so much!!

Princess can navigate the Norwegian Fjords.

During the cruise you mention the ship visits Geiranger Fjord (for Geiranger) and Aurlandsfjord (for Flaam).

The ship also stops in Stavanger where you can take a tour to Lysefjord.

I think the cruise you have in mind has a very interesting itinerary visiting both the fjords and northern Norway.

There are cheaper excursions than that. Both in Stavagner, Geiranger and Flam. You have to book in advance in many of them though. If you like DIY, I suggest doing some research.

We will have to take the ship excursion to the Lysefjord from Stavagner since we do not want to risk losing the ship, and 30 minutes margin is too risky :( The price difference is 40€ pp, compared to the normal fare. Which is a lot compared to the 100€ ship excursion price. But the lines play with that and adjust schedule to have you as captive audience.

Ryndam would also be an option for you Barbara -- my wife has been on it to Norway for each of the last three years ! I did accompany her last year. Both for Gerainger and Flam the ship goes right into the head of the Fjord. It's well worth getting up early in the morning for the sail in and of course you see it again as you sail out in the evening. You can save money by taking the Flam railway as an independent traveller rather than using the Ship Excursion. Do the same in Bergen.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the midst of deciding on a cruise for next summer and want to decide rather quickly (I currently have a Disney cabin on hold). I know not the best way to go about things but sometime you have to strike while you have permission. We would like to go to Iceland and Norway as well. Scotland would be an added bonus. We have only gone on one cruise to Alaska on HAL Oosterdam and are not very familiar with Norway. What advice do you have for us? Would love your opinions.

We are a family of 4 with daughters 13 and 19 at time of sailing. The cruise would have to leave by June 27th and return by Aug 13th.

Disney Magic June 29th 2015 I have a cabin on hold. Currently sold out. We are familiar with the mouse and have heard great things about DCL so there is a sense of comfort there. My 13 year old would love the disney flair and fun. I'm slightly disappointed with the Norway portion of the cruise. Should I be?

1 Copenhagen, Denmark — 4:00 p.m.

2 Oslo, Norway 10:30 a.m. 5:45 p.m.

3 Kristiansand, Norway 8:15 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

4 Stavanger, Norway 7:30 a.m. 12:45 p.m.

5 At Sea — —

6 Akureyri, Iceland 8:30 a.m. 5:15 p.m.

7 Reykjavik, Iceland 1:15 p.m. —

8 Reykjavik, Iceland — 4:45 p.m.

9 At Sea — —

10 Kirkwall, Scotland 9:30 a.m. 5:45 p.m.

11 At Sea — —

12 Dover, England 9:00 a.m. —

Celebrity Eclipse June 27th 2015 - This cruise piques my interest. The Norway portion seems better going into the fjords. It would be cheaper even with 2 cabins. However my husband is having a hard time going on a ship for 14 nights, he thinks he can deal with 11. No experience with Celebrity.

Sat Jun 27 London (Southampton) 4:30pm

Sun Jun 28 At Sea

Mon Jun 29 At Sea

Tue Jun 30 Reykjavik, Iceland 1:00pm

Wed Jul 1 Reykjavik, Iceland 2:00pm

Thu Jul 2 Akureyri, Iceland 9:00am 7:00pm

Fri Jul 3 At Sea

Sat Jul 4 Klaksvik, Faroe Islands 7:00am 4:00pm

Sun Jul 5 At Sea

Mon Jul 6 Geiranger, Norway 9:00am 8:30pm

Tue Jul 7 Alesund, Norway 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Jul 8 Olden, Norway 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Jul 9 Stavanger, Norway 9:00am 5:00pm

Fri Jul 10 At Sea

Sat Jul 11 London (Southampton)5:30am

After writing this I should just eliminate the following due to the dates....

Holland America Ryndam August 1st 2015 - This is also 14 nights and is not good dates for work/college commitments. The ports seem really good and is the only ship in the ports. Same price as Disney for 2 cabins. Smallest ship which we would like but also I read it will be transferred to P&O in Nov so what kind of shape will it be in?

Sat Aug 1 London (Harwich) 4:00pm

Sun Aug 2 At Sea

Mon Aug 3 Lerwick, Shetland Isl 8:00am 4:00pm

Tue Aug 4 Torshavn, Denmark 8:00am 4:00pm

Wed Aug 5 Eskifjordur, Iceland 10:00am 6:00pm

Thu Aug 6 Heimaey, Iceland 10:00am 6:00pm

Fri Aug 7 Reykjavik, Iceland 8:00am 5:00pm

Sat Aug 8 Isafjordur, Iceland 8:00am 4:00pm

Sat Aug 8 Isafjardurdjur (Cruising)

Sun Aug 9 Akureyri, Iceland 7:00am 3:00pm

Sun Aug 9 Eyjafjordur (Cruising)

Mon Aug 10 At Sea

Tue Aug 11 Alesund, Norway 10:00am 6:00pm

Wed Aug 12 Bergen, Norway 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Aug 13 Eidfjord, Norway 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Aug 13 Hardangerfjord (Cruising)

Fri Aug 14 At Sea

Sat Aug 15 London (Harwich) 7:00am

The Disney itinerary only gets you to some Norwegian cities. Far from the scenic beauty of the fjords.

The Iceland portion is pretty standard for the larger cruise ships.

The Eclipse gives you the best of the Norwegian fjords and a memory for life.

This would be my choice if I wanted the best of Iceland and Norway.

There will be so much to see and do both on board and ashore that 14 days will go by fast

IMO the Rydam has the best itinerary.

I hope the Ryndam will still be in a reasonable state -- we are doing the same itinerary in June. I am not sure how the children would find life on the ship though.

I also have some doubts about Celebrity's suitability for them . The sister line, royal Caribbean has much more going on for youngsters.

Have you looked at PandO ? Some ships are adult only but the others are competing with Royal Caribbean for the family market. So too are Cunard, these days although I do not like their two-class policy.

You are not really going to see the best of Norway on the Disney Cruise.

If you are trying to take in Iceland on the same cruise as Norway, I would try to spend the majority of time in Norway. A day in Reykavik and another in Akureyi would be sufficient .

Have you considered the Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas on July 29? That might meet your requirements as well, and is only 12 days so maybe your husband would prefer that. (our Norway cruise next year is our first 14-night cruise, and I'm also wondering if that will be "too much of a good thing"!)

The Ryndam is also doing the same itinerary as the August 1 sailing, departing on June 20. Would that work for you? Not sure if you meant that June 27 was the earliest you could depart.

Between the Disney and Celebrity, I would definitely go with Celebrity because of the Norway ports included (although I would love to try DCL some day!). Good luck with your decision, and happy cruising!

I'm trying to decide between these 2 cruises for 2015. Please provide any feedback that you may have to help me decide, including between the itineraries, the cruise lines, or the ships. We have previously sailed RCL and loved it. The cruise will be for my wife and I in our early 40s.

Norwegian Star

6/12 Copenhagen departs 5:00

6/13 at sea

6/14 Alesund 9:00-5:00

6/15 Hellesylt 8:00-9:00/Geiranger 12:00-6:00

6/16 Trondheim 10:00-8:00

6/17 at sea

6/18 Leknes (Lofoten Is.) 8:00-5:00

6/19 Tromso 8:00-5:00

6/20 Hammerfest 8:00-5:00

6/21 Honningsvaag 8:00-8:00

6/22 at sea

6/23 Molde 10:00-6:00

6/24 Bergen 9:00-7:00

6/25 at sea

6/26 Copenhagen 8:00

Caribbean Princess

6/12 Southampton departs 4:00

6/13 at sea

6/14 Stavanger 8:00-5:00

6/15 Flaam 7:00-5:00

6/16 Olden 8:00-6:00

6/17 Andalsnes 8:00-6:00

6/18 Trondheim 9:00-6:00

6/19 at sea

6/20 Honningsvaag 8:00-9:00

6/21 Tromso 9:00-6:00

6/22 Gravdal (Lofoten) 9:00-6:00

6/23 at sea

6/24 Alesund 8:00-5:00

6/25 Bergen 7:00-2:00

6/26 at sea

6/27 Southampton 7:00

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess 15 day North Cape and Norwegian Fjords departing Southampton on June 12, 2015.

We just had a big price drop in all categories. The balconies are all now priced at $2799 to $2899. There is also there annual 3 for free deal.This is a price cut for us of about $1700 PP. I had expected a drop but I could not hardly believe how much it turned out for our midship balcony. In addition with all the drops I will have OBC of $835.00 :D

MysticalMagic, we did Celebrity's Iceland and fjords cruise in 2012 and loved it, would highly recommend you take it. The itin is excellent and you get to see a lot of varied scenery, the 14 days go by very fast with so much to see and do. Celebrity's service is excellent and the Eclipse a beautiful vessel, go for it! We clubbed it with 10 days between Edinburgh and London pre-cruise, one of our best vacations ever.

Edited by prish

I'm trying to decide between these 2 cruises for 2015. Please provide any feedback that you may have to help me decide, including between the itineraries, the cruise lines, or the ships. We have previously sailed RCL and loved it. The cruise will be for my wife and I in our early 40s.

Norwegian Star

6/12 Copenhagen departs 5:00

6/13 at sea

6/14 Alesund 9:00-5:00

6/15 Hellesylt 8:00-9:00/Geiranger 12:00-6:00

6/16 Trondheim 10:00-8:00

6/17 at sea

6/18 Leknes (Lofoten Is.) 8:00-5:00

6/19 Tromso 8:00-5:00

6/20 Hammerfest 8:00-5:00

6/21 Honningsvaag 8:00-8:00

6/22 at sea

6/23 Molde 10:00-6:00

6/24 Bergen 9:00-7:00

6/25 at sea

6/26 Copenhagen 8:00

Caribbean Princess

6/12 Southampton departs 4:00

6/13 at sea

6/14 Stavanger 8:00-5:00

6/15 Flaam 7:00-5:00

6/16 Olden 8:00-6:00

6/17 Andalsnes 8:00-6:00

6/18 Trondheim 9:00-6:00

6/19 at sea

6/20 Honningsvaag 8:00-9:00

6/21 Tromso 9:00-6:00

6/22 Gravdal (Lofoten) 9:00-6:00

6/23 at sea

6/24 Alesund 8:00-5:00

6/25 Bergen 7:00-2:00

6/26 at sea

6/27 Southampton 7:00

I have to admit a bias, as we are booked on that Norwegian Star cruise. :) Obviously, the itineraries are very similar. A key difference for me was that NCL is visiting Geiranger and Princess is not, and that's one of the places I really wanted to see. On the flip side, I'm disappointed about missing Flaam. I think Copenhagen is more interesting than Southampton, but if you haven't visited London that might be a bigger draw. Sorry, I'm not being any help at all, am I? :confused: When I booked, Princess was substantially more expensive for my family of 5...but now that I see letsgo39's post, I might look again. I think either would be a great choice!

Has anyone discovered a cruise that is less than 14 days that includes the Trondheim area? We are trying to do a "heritage" trip that would include Warwickshire in GB, as well as Trondheim, Norway as our heritage is from these areas. So thinking a London port would be best for air and ship, correct? Any help is appreciated!

I have to admit a bias, as we are booked on that Norwegian Star cruise. :) Obviously, the itineraries are very similar. A key difference for me was that NCL is visiting Geiranger and Princess is not, and that's one of the places I really wanted to see. On the flip side, I'm disappointed about missing Flaam. I think Copenhagen is more interesting than Southampton, but if you haven't visited London that might be a bigger draw. Sorry, I'm not being any help at all, am I? :confused: When I booked, Princess was substantially more expensive for my family of 5...but now that I see letsgo39's post, I might look again. I think either would be a great choice!

I have not cruised on NCL or MSC but of the lines I have been on Princess is by far my favorite.We were on the Ruby Princess for the British Isles in June and just fell in love with Princess.It is more upscale than NCL or Carnival and thankfully they don't nickel and dime you to death all day long.The service is as good as Celebrity but there is more going on every day then Celebrity.When I first booked it I thought it was very expensive but now with this great sale it is turning out to be a real bargain.:D

Has anyone discovered a cruise that is less than 14 days that includes the Trondheim area? We are trying to do a "heritage" trip that would include Warwickshire in GB, as well as Trondheim, Norway as our heritage is from these areas. So thinking a London port would be best for air and ship, correct? Any help is appreciated!

It's not a conventional cruise but have you thought of Hurtigruten -- the mail ship that leaves Bergen every night and works it's way up and round the North Cape. You can do individual sections or the Round Trip.

You are right that several of the cruises to Norway from the UK call in at Trondheim, a picturesque city.

If you are beginning by spending time in Warwickshire I would be tempted to hire a car in the UK and then drop it off at the port from which your cruise departs -- likely to be Southampton, Dover or Harwich.