2015 Norway itineraries

Pluto_fan

I'm booked on the stat too, but I really want to do princess... They added a day and a port to the caribbean princess itinerary, and added $300 to the price.... And I still like the HAL Rydam...21 day north cape and norwegian fiords. No rush to book. I will wait till last minute if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just started to look for a possible 2015 Scandinavia cruise.

I think I saw one starting in Copenhagen and ending in NY.

Have to start printing out what I see.

Interested in Iceland, Norway and Denmark... any leads is appreciated.

We have booked the 2015 NCL North Cape cruise - 14 days - but are now considering the 7 day NCL cruise leaving a week earlier which goes to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen. While it does not go to the Lotofen Islands or above the Arctic Circle, it does have decent 10 hour stops in each port and may be a better itinerary to see several fjords. Any thoughts?

We have booked the 2015 NCL North Cape cruise - 14 days - but are now considering the 7 day NCL cruise leaving a week earlier which goes to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen. While it does not go to the Lotofen Islands or above the Arctic Circle, it does have decent 10 hour stops in each port and may be a better itinerary to see several fjords. Any thoughts?

Whichever cruise you choose, do make sure the itinerary includes Flam and Geiranger, two of the best fjords IMO and Alesund is nice too :)

I think Flam looks lovely as well...but you'd be giving up Trondheim, Leknes, Tromso, Hammerfest, Honningsvag, and Molde. I can't say whether it's worth it, since I haven't been to any of them yet! I do wish the Star's 14-night had Flam instead of Molde, but they didn't ask me. ;)

I think Flam looks lovely as well...but you'd be giving up Trondheim, Leknes, Tromso, Hammerfest, Honningsvag, and Molde. I can't say whether it's worth it, since I haven't been to any of them yet! I do wish the Star's 14-night had Flam instead of Molde, but they didn't ask me. ;)

I agree. We have decided to stay with the 14 day North Cape cruise, despite the absence of Flam on the itinerary.

Edited by rdnpdx1

I agree. We have decided to stay with the 14 day North Cape cruise, despite the absence of Flam on the itinerary.

We'll see you there! :)

Yesterday I pulled out my "Rick Steves Scandinavia" from a few years ago, and I'm thinking that it might be possible to do the "Norway in a Nutshell" route, which includes Flam, as a daytrip from Bergen. Of course, then we'd have to miss most of the stuff in Bergen, which also looks nice. Too many decisions! Good thing we have more than a year to figure it all out.

We'll see you there! :)

Yesterday I pulled out my "Rick Steves Scandinavia" from a few years ago, and I'm thinking that it might be possible to do the "Norway in a Nutshell" route, which includes Flam, as a daytrip from Bergen. Of course, then we'd have to miss most of the stuff in Bergen, which also looks nice. Too many decisions! Good thing we have more than a year to figure it all out.

Agreed. But first I have to figure out my Panama Canal cruise excursions for January.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see I am not the only one obsessing about a Norway cruise in 2015! I did a north cape cruise on Rotterdam in 2007 and been wanting to go there again. My boyfriend (new cruiser) saw my Norway photos and also is interested. I would love to do it during my birthday in June. Plus I have been hankering for a suite!!! Ncl Star on June 12 fits the bill the best. It does miss Flam.

Most affordable suites on Star (since Royal Caribbean BOGO wiped out most of June 6 Serenade's suites). I have future cruise coupons for NCL HAL and Royal Caribbean as well.

I am expecting a work bonus end of 2014 guess where it will go?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Verna, I hope you join us on the Star! I'd love to sail in a suite but sadly it's out of budget. Do you have any particular must-dos for a North Cape cruise that you can share from your experience?

Now I am thinking about celebrity eclipse out of Southampton!! Iceland but not as much of Norway.

Definitely tour around Geiranger! Every view is awesome. Get to the north Cape via tour or taxi. Stark and beautiful. Bergen is great too. Funicular is fun.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks to the person who started this thread! I am just beginning to research our Norway 2015 trip. I work in a school so I am limited to July and August. We want to got to the North Cape and now looking at HAL Ryndham sailing on July 4. We we were toying with the 21 day but thinking now that budget wise the 2 week is probably best. Besides, the 21 day involves sailing back to Harwich on the 14 day to drop off the 14 day folks and pick up 14 day folks. That seems like too much extra at sea and repeat port visit days to me. We want to see as many fjords as possible. My hubby would love to have the time to hike up to Pulpit Rock, unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be an option but I hope to find a cruise that does go into the fjord so we can at least see Pulpit Rock!

Also not opposed to P&O, although this product cannot be sold in the US per my TA.

We are all about the scenery and photography, and a smallish ship (2200 or less).

We have thought about last minute bookings but are afraid we won't be able to coordinate a decent airfare rate so close to departure. Has anyone had luck with this aspect of last minute deals?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Edited by pmjnh

Just a note for the budget conscious American cruisers. When we booked our 2013 Norway cruise I was pleased that our ship left Dover because I thought London was such a convenient place to fly into. What I didn't realize was how many fees have been added to LHR in recent years for security. Our airfares were significantly higher flying into London versus when we flew into Amsterdam the year before. Neighbors had a similar experience when they transferred planes in London even though it wasn't their final destination.

I'm not saying don't cruise out of the UK. I'm just saying if your budget is tight, don't just look at the costs of the cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this thread has kept on moving since I was last on it! :)

We were all set to book P&O on the new Britannia but then we started to look at some more ships and prices and Celebrity moved into the equation and due to the 123 offer, it looks like the best value for us as long as we book before the end of this July.

I've always wanted to sail on a Solstice class ship in any case and then we were looking at how many nights away we wanted and whether we want to fit in Iceland or not. At the moment, we are very much favouring the 22nd August 8 night cruise on the Eclipse and it includes all the main ports to visit too along with some days at sea and no flying!

I am still deciding on whether to concentrate on Norway or Iceland or both but do not have a big budget.

Have you considered flying Icelandair to Europe connecting thru Reykjavik and taking advantage of their "free" stopover in Iceland? They fly from NYC (JFK & EWR) as well as Toronto. From the Finger Lakes area all three of these airports are within driving distance so you wouldn't have the hassle of trying to find flights to those airports. Their current fares are running in the low 900s USD r/t with the stopover.

We will be doing this in conjunction with our Fjords cruise, driving 5 hours to Toronto and parking there at @$5/day which is the most cost-effective for us.

To me, taking advantage of the Iceland stopover is the best of both worlds as we get to spend more time in Iceland at less cost than we would have by taking a combination Norway/Iceland cruise.

We just came home from a Norway & Iceland cruise. Two ports in Norway and three in Iceland. Plus the Faroes (could not dock due to hurricane-type winds) and Kirkwall (loved it).

On the plus side, visiting Akureyri and Isafjordur allowed us to see the icelandic fjords and landscapes we did not see during our day in Reykjavik. We enjoyed our visit to the Myvatn Baths -- similar to the Blue Lagoon, but smaller and less commercial -- while in Akureyri, and found Godafloss, the pseudo craters (from water eruptions instead of lava), and the lava fields just fascinating. In Isafjordur, we went horseback riding. Loved the Icelandic ponies -- so steady footed -- and the breath-taking vistas. In Reykjavik, we did the Golden Circle tour and saw a bit of the city. Thus, three very different days we might not have experienced had we visited Iceland on a stopover flight.

On the minus side, we only went to two ports in Norway. Olden and Alesund were beautiful in different ways, so it was a good combination, but we were left wanting to see more of the fjords. Perhaps on another trip. Also, going to Iceland means a sea day each way, so fewer ports than on an all-Norway cruise. However, this type of itinerary usually includes stops in the relatively difficult to visit Faroes, Shetlands and/or Orkneys.

Two of my friends went on an all Norway cruise last month. They spent a couple of days in Iceland afterward, around Reykjavik. My suggestion if you plan to take a similar trip to that of my friends, is to spend at least a day or two away from Reykjavik. Visit a city in another part of the country, like the ones I described above. You'll find very different topography and experience small town Iceland life.

Have you considered flying Icelandair to Europe connecting thru Reykjavik and taking advantage of their "free" stopover in Iceland? They fly from NYC (JFK & EWR) as well as Toronto. From the Finger Lakes area all three of these airports are within driving distance so you wouldn't have the hassle of trying to find flights to those airports. Their current fares are running in the low 900s USD r/t with the stopover.

We will be doing this in conjunction with our Fjords cruise, driving 5 hours to Toronto and parking there at @$5/day which is the most cost-effective for us.

To me, taking advantage of the Iceland stopover is the best of both worlds as we get to spend more time in Iceland at less cost than we would have by taking a combination Norway/Iceland cruise.

Thanks for the info.. flights are not a problem as I have plenty of airmiles .

I am trying to decide between a May or June cruise with NCL. 7 nights

so I am thinking if I book while on my Dec. cruise with NCL I can get OBC on

that cruise and I would qualify for a past passenger rate, correct?

ib

Thus, three very different days we might not have experienced had we visited Iceland on a stopover flight.

The stopover time is up to us- we are planning on 3 days/3nights and will travel beyond Reykjavik either on small group tours or via rental car. Were it summertime, we'd probably opt for longer, but I'm not sure the roads will all be passable in early May. At least, the driving is on the right side of the road!

Two of my friends went on an all Norway cruise last month. They spent a couple of days in Iceland afterward, around Reykjavik. My suggestion if you plan to take a similar trip to that of my friends, is to spend at least a day or two away from Reykjavik. Visit a city in another part of the country, like the ones I described above. You'll find very different topography and experience small town Iceland life.

We'd love to head north, but for sure we will do the Golden Circle and possibly Vik and eastward.

Edited by TMLAalum