Formal night

Bases5

I agree totally. Princess' policy on Formal Nights states:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

They are asking you to observe the dress code and not saying you have to adhere to if completely. Same with speed limits. Some people do and some people do not. It is a choice. They are the one's that allow the wiggle room so people need to take it up with them and not with the people who interpret the suggestion differently when dining on formal nights. I have a feeling though Princess does not really care that much which is fine with me.

I would be happy if people followed every rule on cruise ships and not only the one's they like. The same people who want you to dress on formal night seem to have no problem saving tons of seats in the theater when the rule is "No Saving Seats!" The hypocrisy on cruise ships is ridiculous when it comes to rules and people's behavior in general. :o:o

Kind of a broad assumption if you ask me.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

The military equilivent of a tux. In the Canadian army they are all pretty much the same with minor differences according to the regiment or corps you are in. Mine is a scarlet tunic with a midnight blue lapel, pants are midnight blue with a one inch red stripe running the length of the outer leg. Other regiments might have a French Grey lapel or a gold stripe on the leg. Worn with a full collar or wing tip collar shirt and bow tie. No headress is worn. Black shoes or Wellington boots that may have spurs again depending on regiment.

Edited by Gunner22aa

They are asking you to observe the dress code and not saying you have to adhere to if completely. Same with speed limits. Some people do and some people do not. It is a choice. They are the one's that allow the wiggle room so people need to take it up with them and not with the people who interpret the suggestion differently when dining on formal nights. I have a feeling though Princess does not really care that much which is fine with me.

So you are one of those folks that feel that all rules are suggestions only? Like the folks who smoked out on their balcony in violation of the written policy and decided it was OK to throw their butts on our Caribe balcony below them? Surely Princess is giving them some wiggle room. :confused:

A written policy is a written policy, but I guess there are always going to be those that feel that rules were written for everyone but themselves. I realize that people paid a lot of money for these vacations, but sometimes you have to put aside your pettiness and just follow the rules as asked.

This is beating a dead horse now.

I too many people are taking formal night seriously, it is not the LAW on the ship for the day, or else they would not suggest or recommend other dining venues.

For most (I hope), formal night is a day for dressing up for a "date night", or family night, and get portraits done. Some of you know how hard it is to get the whole family together, and dressed up for a family portrait.

I remember an incident when myself and my companion were dressed up, and we saw a family not dressed up turned away, but that was because the father was wearing a "wife beater shirt and jeans". Only time ever I saw someone turned away.

As for laws being kind of suggestions, it kind of reminds me a joke I heard years ago.

An police officer stops a driver for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign

the driver says, "I slowed down, what's the difference?"

the officer pulls out his baton, and starts hitting the driver repetitively , and asks "Do you want me to slow down, or stop?"

Everyone assumes the speed limits are not set and you are allowed a small leeway, bet you if you were 2 mph over the limit, and they have you clocked doing it, and you cause a massive accident, they will charge you.

The problem with that argument is that Princess has a published dress code-they just don't enforce it. Suppose one day they do enforce it. What would you do?

Whine on cruise critic. Just like after the enforcement of the

carry-on liquor policy.

• 2 weeks later...

We just came off the Coral Princess from a Panama Canal cruise a week ago. We had anytime dining. For the two formal nights maybe 15% of the men wore tuxes. Most of the rest were in coat and tie.

I take my tux because it takes less room than a suit or my sport coat(s). We like to dress up for "date night".