Formal night

Bases5

Dont want to do formal nigh??? Then go to the buffet....simple as that...I'm not big on the suit and tie thing either...but the significant other likes seeing us dolled up for these occasions.Its part of the cruising experience to me...Suit,tie,black slacks.....

While we have no issue dressing for formal night ... As we hope to fly to our 4-12 cruise and only have 17 cu.ft and 100lbs total for baggage are considering a black leather bomber jacket for formal night with shirt and tie as that is what we fly with. Could probably stuff a jacket in somewhere if necessary ...

Thoughs?

The bomber jacket probably will not work, and isn't very formal at all.

I have found my tuxedo weighs less than my suit, but suit, shirt, ties, shoes, and two full sets of snorkeling gear, plus T-shirts, binoculars, and other stuff all fit in less than 45 lb of suitcase. That, plus two airline carry-on size suitcases is more than we usually need for a 7 to 17 day cruise. We have never exceeded the weight limit for airlines.

If anyone is considering leaving nice clothes that will be worn for 2 of the 7 evenings onboard (28% of your evenings) and make for a more romantic evening with your cruising partner, then I would suggest you first also look at what else you are bringing.

Personally I think doing something special for my wife on the cruise by "dressing up" is a priority. What is a priority for you?

Interesting. Is it Princess that is lots less formal, or is it the passengers who for one reason or another, choose to disregard the requested dress code?

The answer is rather obvious with all of the folks asking what amounts to how much they can bend/break the posted code on post after post here.

It doesn't help that Princess has taken an ever liberal stance with respect to asking folks who do not adhere to the posted guidelines to change before entering the MDR.

There are plenty of places like the buffet and IC/room service to obtain dinner meals if one does not want to participate.

No one is forcing anyone to dress up, but it would be nice of those that do not want to participate fully to leave the MDR for those who want to.

Dont want to do formal nigh??? Then go to the buffet....simple as that...I'm not big on the suit and tie thing either...but the significant other likes seeing us dolled up for these occasions.Its part of the cruising experience to me...Suit,tie,black slacks.....

I have only worn nice dress shirt, slacks, tie and dress shoes on all the cruises I have been on on formal nights. It has never been a problem and if it does not bother the MD then so be it. I always feel totally comfortable too and could care less what people in rented clothes think. What some people try to pass off as formal attire is pretty out of style and barely fits them.

I have never seen a dead horse beat so much as what to wear on formal night. It is really not that big a night in all actuality. It's not like there is a gala ball or anything. Mainly for the photographers IMHO. :D:D

Shirt and tie are fine with Princess. Just ask any ship staff at the dining room.

That won't work for us...

The bomber jacket probably will not work, and isn't very formal at all.

This one is dressier than most, but that was our thoughts too (and probably be way too warm), just thought we'd throw it out there ... haven't seen it discussed before.

We don't want to try and stuff my expensive suit into a 22" bag. I do have a black sport coat that would probably travel and look well enough.

We have never exceeded the weight limit for airlines.

We wouldn't exceed the weight limit for the airlines either, but we don't get the 200 lbs. airlines give, we only get half that weight and it has to fit in two 22" bags, two backpacks, and a small tote bag.

That won't work for us...

This one is dressier than most, but that was our thoughts too (and probably be way too warm), just thought we'd throw it out there ... haven't seen it discussed before.

We don't want to try and stuff my expensive suit into a 22" bag. I do have a black sport coat that would probably travel and look well enough.

We wouldn't exceed the weight limit for the airlines either, but we don't get the 200 lbs. airlines give, we only get half that weight and it has to fit in two 22" bags, two backpacks, and a small tote bag.

My I ask what airline includes all your luggage,( checked, carry on and personal )as one weight? (50 lbs. total) I have learned to pack light (including formal wear), but a 22" bag would be really tight.

Edited by BRANDEE

My I ask what airline includes all your luggage,( checked, carry on and personal )as one weight? (50 lbs. total) I have learned to pack light (including formal wear), but a 22" bag would be really tight.

Sure ... Ours :D

We get 120 lb. total ... that leaves about 100 lbs (50# ea.) for baggage for the cruise not counting wine and soda.

12223935493_c81ee2f84f_z.jpg

20140123_163610 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

(On the ramp at Torrance for our cruise last month)

Edited by MauiLvrs
Added photo

WOW..fantastic...have you ever worn a tux while flying icon10.gif.

Once ... to DWs wedding ...

Not made of the best material for flying. Cotton and leather is safer...

It's a 6-8 hour drive for us or a hour and fifty minute flight ...

We got lucky last month and hope to again in April.

The Iowa as we sailed in ...

12214120545_31f0f9667f.jpg

20140128_065140 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

Wondering if we'd be spending the night.

Cleared by 11 am and was home at work by 1:30 :D

Edited by MauiLvrs

Once ... to DWs wedding ...

Not made of the best material for flying. Cotton and leather is safer...

It's a 6-8 hour drive for us or a hour and fifty minute flight ...

We got lucky last month and hope to again in April.

The Iowa as we sailed in ...

12214120545_31f0f9667f.jpg

20140128_065140 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

Wondering if we'd be spending the night.

Cleared by 11 am and was home at work by 1:30 :D

I can see how your limited luggage when flying makes you think twice about what to take.

My husband and I did 32 days in Europe with a 12 day cruise right in the middle. One 27" luggage each, (under 50 lbs), one 16" carry on each (Under 20lbs) and my tote bag. My husband's tux jacket, still wrapped in the dry cleaner's bag and folded in half, made it wrinkle free to formal night. The rest of our clothes didn't fare as well :p.

The subject of formal wear on formal night can be argued to death. I remember when there was no alternative dining so you had to wear formal.

Now there are options for those who rather not. But there will always be the "I paid, therefore I can" who will go to formal night to the MD dressed for a luau. I've seen the Head MD turn people away but I've also seen the waiter seat them for dinner.

As others have posted before on this thread, you are not forced, but out of respect for the passengers who do..why insist to eat at the MD or specialty dinning?

Sailing on the Emerald, with tux, in one month! Enjoy your cruise and flight in April:).

Edited by BRANDEE

And DW really likes to dress up and so do I ... Just a matter of picking options that work. In April ... shouldn't need many warm weather clothes ... that should help.

If the weather is bad .... we'll have to drive and just stick the formal stuff in the garment bag.

May be able to stick enough backpack stuff in the garment bag we could take one backpack and the garment bag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Interesting. Is it Princess that is lots less formal, or is it the passengers who for one reason or another, choose to disregard the requested dress code? Here's what's said on the link provided above by Pam:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Looks pretty clear to me. Hard to see how someone can interpret this to mean "as formal as you want it to be."

Just sayin'! Do I feel a lot more comfortable in my Tommy Bahama shirt than my tux? You bet. But I'm still going to wear my tux or a suit if for no other reason than to respect my fellow passengers who make the effort to look their best for a special evening. Just my two cents for what it's worth. DK

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well said and I am in total agreement.....;););)

Bob

... Cruising has changed. With the mega ships and relative affordable vacation, you have a lot more people taking cruises who would never have considered it in the past. They are a variety of ages and socioeconomic backgrounds. As business attire has gotten more casual over the years, cruise formalwear has as well.

Obviously, things have changed, attitudes have changed, even dining and menus have changed. Whereas before, if someone didn't feel like dressing formally for dinner, they went to the buffet. Today, they go to the dining room anyway.

Some folks can accept change. Some can not. I choose to wear a navy blue blazer, dress shirt, tie, dark grey dress slacks, and shined shoes. BUT, that is my choice. If others choose to dress in a traditional formal tux, I have no issues with that. How I choose or how others choose to dress has no impact on me and should have no impact on anyone else.

To the OP, do not get obsessed with dress on formal nights. My advice would be to dress neat and clean. You may get all kinds of comments from folks on these boards, but in twenty-four cruises including several with Princess I have yet to hear anyone make disparaging comments while on the ship. Don't let anyone make you feel obligated to go to the buffet or choose another cruise line.

Some folks can accept change. Some can not. I choose to wear a navy blue blazer, dress shirt, tie, dark grey dress slacks, and shined shoes. BUT, that is my choice. If others choose to dress in a traditional formal tux, I have no issues with that. How I choose or how others choose to dress has no impact on me and should have no impact on anyone else.

To the OP, do not get obsessed with dress on formal nights. My advice would be to dress neat and clean. You may get all kinds of comments from folks on these boards, but in twenty-four cruises including several with Princess I have yet to hear anyone make disparaging comments while on the ship. Don't let anyone make you feel obligated to go to the buffet or choose another cruise line.

Couldnt agree more...whether you booked a inside stateroom or a penthouse suite...Its your hard-earned money that you saved for this memorable trip and exactly said "Don't let anyone make you feel obligated to go to the buffet or choose another cruise line."

For those who say people who do not want to wear what you think they should can go to the buffet or other places to eat I suggest the following to you. If wearing a tux is the only way you think is the proper way to dress on a cruise you should then pick a cruise that meets your standards. There are several cruise lines who require of everybody what you seek and sound like they would be better suited for your type of cruising.

I had to wear a uniform for many years and will not do it again just to eat dinner or make someone else feel important. If the cruise line allows it I shall wear it. Sorry but if what a person eating dinner wears offends yu then it is your problem and not the other person. Trying to tell other people where to eat because of how they dress is utterly ridiculous.

The major problem here lies as much with the cruise line as any individual. Cruise lines are free to impose whatever dress code they desire. Don't like it then the answer is easy, cruise with someone else. My issue is if you are going to have a dress code on any given night then enforce it! If your dress code says a jacket and tie are the minimum acceptable for dinner then the guy with an open collar goes and gets a tie or dines elsewhere. Simply enforcing their own rules would put an end to the clients who look down on those that don't dress up and conversly those that believe the rules are meant for someone other than themselves. Get turned away just once and you should get the message. Cruise lines don't have an issue enforcing other rules and this should be no different. Personally the wife and I like formal nights and dress accordingly. If the dress changes I'll either change with it or find another line. Just be consistant in enforcing the dress code whatever it is.

The major problem here lies as much with the cruise line as any individual. Cruise lines are free to impose whatever dress code they desire. Don't like it then the answer is easy, cruise with someone else. My issue is if you are going to have a dress code on any given night then enforce it! If your dress code says a jacket and tie are the minimum acceptable for dinner then the guy with an open collar goes and gets a tie or dines elsewhere. Simply enforcing their own rules would put an end to the clients who look down on those that don't dress up and conversly those that believe the rules are meant for someone other than themselves. Get turned away just once and you should get the message. Cruise lines don't have an issue enforcing other rules and this should be no different. Personally the wife and I like formal nights and dress accordingly. If the dress changes I'll either change with it or find another line. Just be consistant in enforcing the dress code whatever it is.

I agree with that too!

For those who say people who do not want to wear what you think they should can go to the buffet or other places to eat I suggest the following to you. If wearing a tux is the only way you think is the proper way to dress on a cruise you should then pick a cruise that meets your standards. There are several cruise lines who require of everybody what you seek and sound like they would be better suited for your type of cruising.

I had to wear a uniform for many years and will not do it again just to eat dinner or make someone else feel important. If the cruise line allows it I shall wear it. Sorry but if what a person eating dinner wears offends yu then it is your problem and not the other person. Trying to tell other people where to eat because of how they dress is utterly ridiculous.

The problem with that argument is that Princess has a published dress code-they just don't enforce it. Suppose one day they do enforce it. What would you do?

The problem with that argument is that Princess has a published dress code-they just don't enforce it. Suppose one day they do enforce it. What would you do?

Eat somewhere else but until then the only choice is those who insist on more formal attire should look somewhere else. I see no problem with that at all.

Princess actually requests you go other places to eat.

We are cruising March 9 on the Emerald and I just had a little debate about this with my Brother. He wants to do formal nights but just wants to wear sports jacket and tie. His wife would just "dress up" some smart casual clothes. He doesn't want the extra baggage with suit and shoes and she doesn't want to spend all the time getting ready. In the past I've worn dark suit, white shirt, and tie for formal night. For cruises we didn't feel like it, it's been about half and half, we just did Horizon Court for dinner and avoided the areas where people were more dressed up. I would not feel comfortable taking the "middle course". I lean toward going one way or the other. Choose what you want to do, but don't straddle the fence, makes it nicer for everybody.

Edited by philv

I agree totally. Princess' policy on Formal Nights states:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

They are asking you to observe the dress code and not saying you have to adhere to if completely. Same with speed limits. Some people do and some people do not. It is a choice. They are the one's that allow the wiggle room so people need to take it up with them and not with the people who interpret the suggestion differently when dining on formal nights. I have a feeling though Princess does not really care that much which is fine with me.

I would be happy if people followed every rule on cruise ships and not only the one's they like. The same people who want you to dress on formal night seem to have no problem saving tons of seats in the theater when the rule is "No Saving Seats!" The hypocrisy on cruise ships is ridiculous when it comes to rules and people's behavior in general. :o:o

I cruised on Carnival last year and saw people with jeans and a hoodie in the dining room on formal night. I've never seen anything that bad on Princess. It would be nice to see everyone dressed nice but my opinion of nice and someone else's opinion differs. I think a hoodie and jeans is a little much, but I'm fine with a nice top and jeans. I personally wouldn't wear a hoodie and jeans to any sit down restaurant. I love dressing up and do it everyday for work. To me it's all part of the experience of cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums