Open Seating - Can you pre-book a specific table size?

spazwok

My husband and I are new to HAL and we have booked for Open Seating on a Panama Canal cruise in 2015.

The question I have is, is it possible once on board (or beforehand) to reserve a table for 2 at a particular time each night? e.g. 7pm

On Princess, once on board we have been able to make this type of booking but I wasn't sure on HAL. Generally we prefer a time in between the traditional times which is why we choose anytime/open seating.

If that's not possible, what times are the set dining? And is it possible to reserve a 2 table for the traditional dining options?

Thanks!

spazwok

Yes, it's possible to reserve a table for 2 in open seating. If you have a concierge, you can let them arrange it. If you haven't, you can go and arrange it yourself at the main dining room (beforehand). You usually can do it 3 days in advance, so you have to redo the booking again later in your cruise.

Another option is just to 'walk in' around 7pm. If there is space, they will seat you on a 2 top if you request it. If there isn't, they will seat you somewhere else. Sometimes people have to wait 5-10 minutes because other people will be walk-ins too. Sometimes you can just continue on.

If you do fixed seating (early is usually 5.15-5.30, late is usually 7.30-8pm), you can already request a 2 top (at HAL or with your TA). If they have it, you will receive confirmation.

Last cruise me & Mr. Cruise_bunny decided on open seating and our concierge fixed us with dining at 7pm (which is our preferred dining time) for the 11 days of the cruise. We requested a 6-top and got the same table every night. The walk-ins joined us at our table.

Coming cruise we have early fixed dining and we have a fixed 4-top confirmed for us and my parents.

Depends sometimes on the dining room manager/ship too. We were told flat-out no reservations allowed on our Veendam sailing in 2012. On Eurodam last October - while we had late seating - I know guests could reserve for the times similar to what KK mentions.

Yes, once on the ship you can make reservations for the Open Seating dining.

But there are time limits for them. You can only make reservations for the times between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9.

You can make reservations for 3 days at a time for size table you want.

We have been able to make reservations for periods longer than 3 days. We have done this through the concierge, so I don't know if that made a difference. It might vary from ship to ship, as many things seem to do.

Edited by RJ2002

Some ships early is 5:15. It was on Verndam and I believe mentioned on Ryndam as well.
FIXED at 5:15? I've never heard of that, even in AK. I was replying to
If you do fixed seating (early is usually 5.15-5.30, late is usually 7.30-8pm),
Edited by jtl513

When you make your reservation make sure you say that the reservation is for 2 people and you want a table for two. Sometimes they know it's a reservation for 2 people...but then they lead us to a table that seats 8. We then go back to the podium again to wait for a two top.

My heart sank when I read this. To us, 5:15 = late lunch. Oh my! Geez, are people even back from the shore excursions at this time?

The rest of our group convinced us to fix our dining for the early seating on our AK cruise, I can't believe now I said OK.

Our normal eating time is right alongside the South Americans at 9 pm.

I see a lot of Lido dinners on this cruise.

My heart sank when I read this. To us, 5:15 = late lunch. Oh my! Geez, are people even back from the shore excursions at this time?

The rest of our group convinced us to fix our dining for the early seating on our AK cruise, I can't believe now I said OK.

We like to dine early but we also think that 5:15 is way too early even for us.

I don't understand why HAL is doing this.

I know that they have cut back even more workers in the dining room and it does take longer for dinner in the main dining room, but these new early times are getting ridiculous.

We Always ask for a table for 2' and RESERVE a table for2' but EVERY time we arrive, we are asked if we would mind sharing!!! Yes we would mind, if not, we would not specify! We finally gave in to fixed dining late seating.

I guess we have just been lucky because we have never had your experience. When we make the reservation, and when we approach the podium in the MDR, we always state we want a table for 2 AND we want to dine by ourselves. We have always been accommodated.

Lido dinner is over at 8. After that you have to wait til 10:30 for the late night snack.

Thanks so much for all the comments it's very helpful. We really like the flexibility of the open dining as we don't always feel like going to the MDR for dinner. Especially on port intensive cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app