Getting on board earlier w/ kids

I'm in a JS but walk with a cane. My JS takes precedence over my handicap? In the past we've showed our handicap plackard and get to immediately go to the front of the line to check in.

I remember our Brilliance cruise beginning in Quebec City. The walk from checkin to the ship was very long. They sent the assorted limpy people (wheelchairs, canes--I used my walker) down first. They told us they didn't want us to be trampled halfway down by the more mobile guests. I had to stop twice down so I appreciated the head start!

I'm in a JS but walk with a cane. My JS takes precedence over my handicap? In the past we've showed our handicap plackard and get to immediately go to the front of the line to check in.

well my handicapped card never got me any special line skipping to check in.

as they were releasing the suites/pinnacle area to board, they began lining up the folks in wheelchairs staged so that as soon as the S/P section was cleared, the guests being wheeled aboard would be next. now . in Baltimore they board in a different locale( deck two ) because that bloody ramp is long and steep. but they did not head towards that way until the suite/Pinnacle section was emptied out. if you need the wheelchair, then you may have to wait.

But not what the OP asked...:rolleyes:

I apologize for adding a somewhat off topic question. I'm sorry that it bothered you to the point that you had to leave this comment.

I really don't understand why posters have to make comments like this.

Lesson of the day? Don't come here expecting people to answer your questions... Expect, though, that you will be berated for not knowing all the rules and for not being the expert that many of the people on the board seem to be...

I don't know the answer to the original question, so I won't take a guess or berate you... Just wish you a fun trip with the kids!

Lesson of the day? Don't come here expecting people to answer your questions... Expect, though, that you will be berated for not knowing all the rules and for not being the expert that many of the people on the board seem to be...

I don't know the answer to the original question, so I won't take a guess or berate you... Just wish you a fun trip with the kids!

Her question was answered.

After quite a bit of harassment.

Yeah, okay....

Sometimes you have to apply a little bit of logic before you ask a question. Logic dictates that there is no way that people boarding with toddlers/small children get preferential treatment if you just think it through for a second since there are cruises (summer and holidays) where kids outnumber adults onboard. There were a couple of posters who answered tongue in cheek, but this was pretty tame.

Yeah, okay....

Sometimes you have to apply a little bit of logic before you ask a question. Logic dictates that there is no way that people boarding with toddlers/small children get preferential treatment if you just think it through for a second since there are cruises (summer and holidays) where kids outnumber adults onboard. There were a couple of posters who answered tongue in cheek, but this was pretty tame.

Sometimes written words don't come across the same as verbally, but I was simply posting to see what others thought or had heard or had experienced... I didn't expect for someone to think I wouldn't have enough sense to "think it through for a second" or think my children deserve preferential treatment for whatever reason. I completely understand higher class/suites and the handicap, but I had never heard of what I was told about the children, hence my reasoning for asking. Sometimes things are done in various situations/ circumstances/experiences that don't make sense so it wouldn't matter if you thought it through or not.

Again, it was a simple question that has been answered.

Apparently so... :(

I think I did get the question answered, but thanks for your input and well wishes:) I think the kids will love it!

not so. in order:

Wedding parties

Suites/Pinnacle

those who need assistance( wheelchair boarding)

general boarding

This isn't my first cruise, my 5th actually, but it is my first with my kids.

Please don't hear me wrong, I am not trying to get any special treatment or anything just because I have kids, but I was just trying to verify what I heard from someone today who had been on a cruise with a large group of people, along with toddlers, and they were able to board early because of that.

If spookwife is correct in her boarding order, perhaps your source boarded early because his/her large group was a wedding. And he/she assumed, wrongly, that it was because of kids.

We waited in a massive line to get through security, and my daughter needed to go to the restroom. No restrooms till you are through security! She barely made it. Go before you get to the pier!

If spookwife is correct in her boarding order, perhaps your source boarded early because his/her large group was a wedding. And he/she assumed, wrongly, that it was because of kids.

We waited in a massive line to get through security, and my daughter needed to go to the restroom. No restrooms till you are through security! She barely made it. Go before you get to the pier!

that's a good point - i don't know if it was a wedding or not, but that's a good possibility

What's with the 'mean behind the screen'?

OP...when my oldest was in a stroller, NCL and CCL both had us skip the line for embarkation. I don't think I asked for preferential treatment, but was directed to cut ahead anyway.

However, RCL has never had us cut ahead due to a child in a stroller. Not that I've asked either. I agree with prior posters that there's no need for families with a toddler to cut. Though I don't agree with the snarky/tongue in cheek manner in which that info was conveyed.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Mom.to.2
spelling

What's with the 'mean behind the screen'?

OP...when my oldest was in a stroller, NCL and CCL both had us skip the line for embarkation. I don't think I asked for preferential treatment, but was directed to cut ahead anyway.

However, RCL has never had us cut ahead due to a child in a stroller. Not that I've asked either. I agree with prior posters that there's no need for families with a toddler to cut. Though I don't agree with the snarky/tongue in cheek manner in which that info was conveyed.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you! I agree about the "mean behind the screen" - there's no need for it. People won't want to post simple questions if they feel they will get this kind of response...

And, yes, I agree that we don't need to cut just because we have a little one - was just curious if what i heard was true ;)

Sorry if this is long!

Our DD has been traveling on RC since she was 6 months old. We were never offered nor seen kids board first.

I know a lot of posters recommend waiting to get on until later, but I also appreciate that sometimes if kids are in routine with times they eat they can't always hold out to late afternoon especially if you are eating early sitting in the MDR so I can see your thought process on boarding

Personally I would recommend getting there early.you may queue for a while to get through security but remember there are probably one security screen line for every 6 check in desks so once you get through security. The earlier you check in even if you are not priority boarding you should still be one of the first general boarding groups called.

Obviously I don't know how old your children are, but we used to take either a new coloring book or kids magazine or a small toy to keep our DD entertained whilst waiting. Once on it was straight to windjammer to get a seat and food before everyone else found their way there.

A few other friendly tips.

If you have a stroller make sure you know where the elevators are closest to the windjammer when you first get on. They will be quieter as most people boarding head for the nearest elevator. Eat well and then let the kids have some fun before the muster drill. They will probably find it long and restless especially if they are younger.

Another piece of advice head to the muster 10mins early whilst you can still use the elevator if using the push chair. We learned the hard way the first time traveling with her because it was so busy people were literally falling over her chair.

My last piece of advice is if you are eating in MDR. Again not knowing how your your toddler/s is / are sometimes it can be long for them. I know you can opt for quick kids dinner which is fine if you are intending them to go to kids club after. However may not suit you if you want to enjoy your meal. We had a great waiter that brought our DD a plate of sliced fruit as soon as we entered the restaurant. It kept her entertained until the food arrived. We thought this was excellent and asked for it every cruise until she was old enough to be no longer bored at a long meal.

Really hope this helps

Have a great time!

Thank you! I agree about the "mean behind the screen" - there's no need for it. People won't want to post simple questions if they feel they will get this kind of response...

And, yes, I agree that we don't need to cut just because we have a little one - was just curious if what i heard was true ;)

I am glad that you can roll with the punches. Some of these people need to get a life. I still remember some of my first questions and now they seem silly.

There is no place for the sarcasm and outright rude remarks.

I don't know why these idiots lurk on these forums as they seem to want to change the basic concept of these pages....no question is a dumb question.

But they continue to do it in spite of being reminded that it is classless and just maybe they don't have a clue.

I was impressed by your responses ....enjoy your cruise.

Sorry if this is long!

Our DD has been traveling on RC since she was 6 months old. We were never offered nor seen kids board first.

I know a lot of posters recommend waiting to get on until later, but I also appreciate that sometimes if kids are in routine with times they eat they can't always hold out to late afternoon especially if you are eating early sitting in the MDR so I can see your thought process on boarding

Personally I would recommend getting there early.you may queue for a while to get through security but remember there are probably one security screen line for every 6 check in desks so once you get through security. The earlier you check in even if you are not priority boarding you should still be one of the first general boarding groups called.

Obviously I don't know how old your children are, but we used to take either a new coloring book or kids magazine or a small toy to keep our DD entertained whilst waiting. Once on it was straight to windjammer to get a seat and food before everyone else found their way there.

A few other friendly tips.

If you have a stroller make sure you know where the elevators are closest to the windjammer when you first get on. They will be quieter as most people boarding head for the nearest elevator. Eat well and then let the kids have some fun before the muster drill. They will probably find it long and restless especially if they are younger.

Another piece of advice head to the muster 10mins early whilst you can still use the elevator if using the push chair. We learned the hard way the first time traveling with her because it was so busy people were literally falling over her chair.

My last piece of advice is if you are eating in MDR. Again not knowing how your your toddler/s is / are sometimes it can be long for them. I know you can opt for quick kids dinner which is fine if you are intending them to go to kids club after. However may not suit you if you want to enjoy your meal. We had a great waiter that brought our DD a plate of sliced fruit as soon as we entered the restaurant. It kept her entertained until the food arrived. We thought this was excellent and asked for it every cruise until she was old enough to be no longer bored at a long meal.

Really hope this helps

Have a great time!

My son is 7 and daughter 3. I'm not at all worried about my 7 yr old, it's my 3 yr old that gives us a run for our money... We have screens though that will hopefully keep her busy (if she hasn't worn them out on the drive down). And she won't be in a stroller.

we opted for MTD this cruise simply because we are cruising with kids and know that our normal 2 hr dinners on previous cruises probably weren't a good idea this time around.

Our thought was also to board a little earlier so we could go to lunch before it got overcrowded.

thanks for the tips!

I am glad that you can roll with the punches. Some of these people need to get a life. I still remember some of my first questions and now they seem silly.

There is no place for the sarcasm and outright rude remarks.

I don't know why these idiots lurk on these forums as they seem to want to change the basic concept of these pages....no question is a dumb question.

But they continue to do it in spite of being reminded that it is classless and just maybe they don't have a clue.

I was impressed by your responses ....enjoy your cruise.

I have a pretty thick skin, so I don't get flustered easily ;)

You would think with this being my 5th cruise (or 6th I can't remember... LOL), i wouldn't have these "simple" questions, however, all that changes when you travel with little ones. There is a whole new set of questions and concerns that pop up!

Thanks for the tips!

Not a problem! If the youngest is three then you can still do the family dining. They speed the meal up for the children and then the kids club collect them from the restaurant I think and let you finish your meal in peace. Also a note to say formal night the kids club does offer to take the kids to dinner in the windjammer (nominal fee) to let you eat and enjoy your meal.

Just remember no kids club the first night on most ships. We always went straight to guest relations to book a babysitter first night.

If you have any questions about the kids club let me know.

I will happily help where I can:)

Not a problem! If the youngest is three then you can still do the family dining. They speed the meal up for the children and then the kids club collect them from the restaurant I think and let you finish your meal in peace. Also a note to say formal night the kids club does offer to take the kids to dinner in the windjammer (nominal fee) to let you eat and enjoy your meal.

Just remember no kids club the first night on most ships. We always went straight to guest relations to book a babysitter first night.

If you have any questions about the kids club let me know.

I will happily help where I can:)

i think we are actually going to keep the kids with us on formal night seeing as how my daughter is so incredibly excited about her "formal" dress she got. my son, not so much excited about the jacket i have for him...

I actually do have a few questions about the kids club though...

1. do they take scheduled breaks during the day where they are closed, say lunch or dinner time? i think i had read that on here somewhere.

2. do they give the kids armbands at the beginning of the week? my son has a peanut allergy and i considered getting him a band, but i wasn't sure if they handled that

i will probably think of more questions...

i think we are actually going to keep the kids with us on formal night seeing as how my daughter is so incredibly excited about her "formal" dress she got. my son, not so much excited about the jacket i have for him...

I actually do have a few questions about the kids club though...

1. do they take scheduled breaks during the day where they are closed, say lunch or dinner time? i think i had read that on here somewhere.

2. do they give the kids armbands at the beginning of the week? my son has a peanut allergy and i considered getting him a band, but i wasn't sure if they handled that

i will probably think of more questions...

I dont know about the kids club but you can fill out a "guest special needs" form available from RCCL web site.

My daughter has life threatening peanut allergies and has been on 7 cruises. On the first night we ask to see the head waiter for that reason. They then help with that meal order and later will bring the next nights menu for you to order with their advice. She has never had a problem

I would suggest that you do the on line form and then contact the special needs desk.

Our "Guest confirmation of booking" does show that she has a peanut allergy. Also ask to see a chef in the Windjammer to ask about possible items that are not obvious.

They do a good job if asked. Our last cruise they even had a "clean" scoop available at the icecream place. Just have to ask. Hope this helps.