Getting on board earlier w/ kids

i think we are actually going to keep the kids with us on formal night seeing as how my daughter is so incredibly excited about her "formal" dress she got. my son, not so much excited about the jacket i have for him...

I actually do have a few questions about the kids club though...

1. do they take scheduled breaks during the day where they are closed, say lunch or dinner time? i think i had read that on here somewhere.

2. do they give the kids armbands at the beginning of the week? my son has a peanut allergy and i considered getting him a band, but i wasn't sure if they handled that

i will probably think of more questions...

As I say first day they are closed on most ships all day, although they do an orientation in the afternoon/evening where you sign up for them and give them a lanyard to attach their sea pass cards to so they can wear them if they want.

As soon as you get on board there will be a desk you need to go to. Normally with little ones there will be someone directing you straight over to the desk. This is where they will look up their names and cabin numbers on a manifesto. They then attach a thick plastic self attaching wrist band that is color coordinated to their wrists. This shows their muster stations as they will take them direct to muster if there is ever an emergency.

Just be careful especially with the little one they do not do too tight. They are not adjustable or very flexible as they are designed NOT to come off!!!! I normally make sure I can get my pinky finger in between the wrist and strap so in doesn't cut in over the week. They will only cut off!!!! If it is irritating just ask them to cut off and attach a slightly looser one. They don't intentionally attach too tight but sometimes they are trying to talk to parents at the same time so it adjusts when they take their eyes off!

Regarding allergy bands, luckily my daughter only has an allergy to medicine. We have always had to list it on the registration form and they have written something at the top of the page. I have never seen them issue an allergy bracelet but must say I have not really looked for one either.

I would probably air on the side of caution and get one anyway. My philosophy is better safe than sorry! It would probably be more comfortable as well if it is the same as the other bands. Don't get me wrong they are not awful just irritating if too tight as not very flexible!

Regarding breaks

Generally speaking they are open all day in port, if you are going to coco ay at all adventure ocean is on the island for them.

At sea there is a break from 12 until 2

Sea hours are 9-12

2-5

7 to late night

Some days they do offer lunch for a nominal fee for the 2 lunch hours and same goes for some evenings.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1984388

I have put a link to this reviewer. Whilst they were on a 4 night cruise they posted the welcome aboard info for kids club and a sample activity page (it's on p37 of the review to save you time going through!)

It states if they have allergies to take the child's sea pass card but we never used to leave our dd with hers as she was prone to losing things I am not sure what they do if you have the card.

That link should give you a better idea on times and offerings

Sorry it was long again

Just trying to be thorough !

As I say first day they are closed on most ships all day, although they do an orientation in the afternoon/evening where you sign up for them and give them a lanyard to attach their sea pass cards to so they can wear them if they want.

As soon as you get on board there will be a desk you need to go to. Normally with little ones there will be someone directing you straight over to the desk. This is where they will look up their names and cabin numbers on a manifesto. They then attach a thick plastic self attaching wrist band that is color coordinated to their wrists. This shows their muster stations as they will take them direct to muster if there is ever an emergency.

Just be careful especially with the little one they do not do too tight. They are not adjustable or very flexible as they are designed NOT to come off!!!! I normally make sure I can get my pinky finger in between the wrist and strap so in doesn't cut in over the week. They will only cut off!!!! If it is irritating just ask them to cut off and attach a slightly looser one. They don't intentionally attach too tight but sometimes they are trying to talk to parents at the same time so it adjusts when they take their eyes off!

Regarding allergy bands, luckily my daughter only has an allergy to medicine. We have always had to list it on the registration form and they have written something at the top of the page. I have never seen them issue an allergy bracelet but must say I have not really looked for one either.

I would probably air on the side of caution and get one anyway. My philosophy is better safe than sorry! It would probably be more comfortable as well if it is the same as the other bands. Don't get me wrong they are not awful just irritating if too tight as not very flexible!

Regarding breaks

Generally speaking they are open all day in port, if you are going to coco ay at all adventure ocean is on the island for them.

At sea there is a break from 12 until 2

Sea hours are 9-12

2-5

7 to late night

Some days they do offer lunch for a nominal fee for the 2 lunch hours and same goes for some evenings.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1984388

I have put a link to this reviewer. Whilst they were on a 4 night cruise they posted the welcome aboard info for kids club and a sample activity page (it's on p37 of the review to save you time going through!)

It states if they have allergies to take the child's sea pass card but we never used to leave our dd with hers as she was prone to losing things I am not sure what they do if you have the card.

That link should give you a better idea on times and offerings

Sorry it was long again

Just trying to be thorough !

Don't apologize for being long - it was great information! Thank you!

the allergy band I am thinking of is only a few bucks and you can get it at CVS, so I will get one of those just to be on the safe side :)

I just read this thread and OP-good for you. There is a part of CC that is just horrible. Some people have the most awful attitude towards posters and certain subjects. Good for you that you hung tight!!;)

Too true! My first question I timidly asked shortly after joining, I was not too politely directed to the search function, which btw was not working then, either. :D

Geez people, if you don't want to answer the question, move on to the next topic. Or at least read what the OP posts.

. . . i will probably think of more questions...
Too true! My first question I timidly asked shortly after joining, I was not too politely directed to the search function, which btw was not working then, either. :D

Geez people, if you don't want to answer the question, move on to the next topic. Or at least read what the OP posts.

Yes, similar to Rala -- I've found the family cruising board a better place to ask any question that even mentions the fact that I have a kid. Be certain to indicate the line, ship and embarkation port and most of the responders will direct their replies to meet your trip.

Many of the folks on the more general boards are more interested in making a statement or trying to be glib, than actually trying to help!

Have a great trip -- we hope to see you over at the Family Cruising board!

Edited by Onessa

My son is 7 and daughter 3. I'm not at all worried about my 7 yr old, it's my 3 yr old that gives us a run for our money... We have screens though that will hopefully keep her busy (if she hasn't worn them out on the drive down). And she won't be in a stroller.

we opted for MTD this cruise simply because we are cruising with kids and know that our normal 2 hr dinners on previous cruises probably weren't a good idea this time around.

Our thought was also to board a little earlier so we could go to lunch before it got overcrowded.

thanks for the tips!

We have found the lines to be shorter the earlier we arrived at port. We usually get there before 11am. The couple of times we have arrived after 1, due to flight delays on day of boarding, the lines were really long and slow.

Yeah, okay....

Sometimes you have to apply a little bit of logic before you ask a question. Logic dictates that there is no way that people boarding with toddlers/small children get preferential treatment if you just think it through for a second since there are cruises (summer and holidays) where kids outnumber adults onboard. There were a couple of posters who answered tongue in cheek, but this was pretty tame.

The other day I remember reading a post where someone was criticized for not doing their research before a cruise, and many commented that they poster should have come here to ask questions......so now which is it...should they ask questions here, or not....or should they only ask questions that you feel are logical...

This is the reason a lot of people don't post here....because of posters such as yourself that criticize someone for a simple question....and it is a simple question.....

Remember the Disney deal, where they had people hiring a "wheelchair guide" for getting through the lines faster? I have seen many people "healed" by the time they got to their destination and can only imagine that it happens on cruises too.

Remember that not everyone who needs assistance boarding looks handicapped. My DH has had 2 aortic dissection open heart surgeries, a triple bypass, ablation procedure, and a pacemaker yet with long pants on to cover the leg scars he looks perfectly fine. He can get around once aboard (abet somewhat slowly but around) but no way can he handle the long steep ramps that normally stand between him and the ship. Excursions work without assistance because the gangways are normally on a low deck accessible by elevator.:)

Hi OP...

You also might want to take a look over on the family board. There is tons of info on cruising with children. Hope your family has a wonderful time!:D

and I was on the family board, and to be honest, I just forgot to check over there before posting here, so my bad for that. :D

We have found the lines to be shorter the earlier we arrived at port. We usually get there before 11am. The couple of times we have arrived after 1, due to flight delays on day of boarding, the lines were really long and slow.

and that is what we are planning on doing, getting there sometime between 10:00 and 11:00. I remember on previous cruises getting there and the lines just being so long and slow... I didn't want to have to fight through that with my daughter, hence my inquiry :)

I do suspect you're confusing this with airplane boarding.

Regardless, let me clarify something for you:

1. Many cruisers (especially experienced cruisers) will arrive EARLY at the terminal -- perhaps 10:00ish. These are the smart people, the people who want to board before things are crowded. If you're among them, the terminal may seem crowded for a bit, but once you're onboard, it'll feel like you're all alone in that first hour or so.

2. Among those early arrivals, what you've been told is true: Weddings first, then suites, groups, etc., etc. Most of the ship's passengers will NOT arrive early, so none of this will apply to them.

3. Most of the cruisers will "trickle in" between noon and perhaps 3:00 - 4:00. These people will all board as they're processed through the check-in system -- for them, it won't matter whether they're with a wedding party or a group.

Hints for getting kids on board:

1. Put an adult first in line. That adult should hold all the ship ID cards and present them as you board the ship. Kids go in the middle, the second adult stays in the rear to assure that kids don't go astray.

2. If your kids are small, put them in strollers to board. The gangplank is a bit steep, and they might have trouble. With loads of excited cruisers behind you, this is not the place to dawdle.

Your most welcome. I am a newbie poster as well but am well travelled and have viewed this board for a while.

I am not professing to be an expert by any means but enjoy sharing my experiences. to me with every cruise there is a new experience and new perspectives. If your family enjoy cruising as much as my family, you too will learn that as your children grow what you want and dare I say need from a cruise will change accordingly.

If there is anything else your family need please don't hesitate to ask. I subscribed to this thread so get alerts when a new post is on it.

I wish you and your family the best for your upcoming trip.

I'm in a JS but walk with a cane. My JS takes precedence over my handicap? In the past we've showed our handicap plackard and get to immediately go to the front of the line to check in.

Why do you carry your handicap plackard? Shouldn't that be hanging on your car mirror? We have one. It's in the car. If you are walking with a cane, or need assistance, you don't need the handicap plackard. That's for parking spaces already, and the ship already has a special parking space, but they still will make sure you get all the help without showing proof!!!! Never needed to carry mine. (Unless the captain wants it for the next port!)

Why do you carry your handicap plackard? Shouldn't that be hanging on your car mirror? We have one. It's in the car. If you are walking with a cane, or need assistance, you don't need the handicap plackard. That's for parking spaces already, and the ship already has a special parking space, but they still will make sure you get all the help without showing proof!!!! Never needed to carry mine. (Unless the captain wants it for the next port!)

I was wondering that myself - DH has one, but it has to stay in the car in order to park in a handicapped space.

Like others have stated I have never seen "Priority Early Boarding" for families with children. What you may want to do is either arrive early when the checkin first opens or arrive about 90-120 minutes before the "cut off" time to ensure a fast and smooth boarding process. Also having Crown and Anchor status and having your Set Sail Passes completed online speeds up the process.

Last year when my Father and I left from New Orleans we left our hotel at 10:45 AM arrived to the port at 11:00 AM and was onboard at 11:40 AM and was waiting in line for the first passengers to enter the Windjammer which opened at 12:00 PM.

In San Juan the year before we arrived to the pier at 11:00 AM and were also onboard at 11:45 AM. We like going early so we can enjoy lunch at our leisure go to our stateroom at 1:00 PM and rest until the Muster Drill.

In my opinion arrive the first possible moment you can as you are paying for that first day on board. You can learn the lay of the ship before the hoards of passengers come on board.

Don't be there very close to cutoff time or else you could be denied boarding. I have read too many reports here of people missing the ship because they arrived on the day of the cruise.

If you think it will take your family 30 minutes to the pier add 20 minutes to that just to be safe. Especially with children you want extra time just in case something happens. Better be safe than sorry.

Unless your in a suite, you won't board first. Then you board by C&A status.

If you have a disability and have filled out the Special Needs Request Form I believe you can go to the Suite Line or Special Services line at the pier and they will let you onboard before C&A members.