Activity Directors

Cruise directors get a lot of the recognition for the activities on a ship. The Activity Director is just as much responsible for the activities going smoothly and giving cruisers the platform to have a great time.

That has been our experience, what has been yours?

Elvis and Mo stand out in my mind, but there are many others as well.

Edited by Paulette3028

I agree. On Grandeur it is activities director Daryl that makes things happen. Though on a different line, I sailed Carnival Pride out of Baltimore in 2012. Activities director "Gumby" made events more enjoyable. Cruised on Pride a year later with the same, good, cruise director, but the activities director changed and events were not near as much fun.

I agree. On Grandeur it is activities director Daryl that makes things happen. Though on a different line, I sailed Carnival Pride out of Baltimore in 2012. Activities director "Gumby" made events more enjoyable. Cruised on Pride a year later with the same, good, cruise director, but the activities director changed and events were not near as much fun.

I hope we hear from others about their experiences with Activity Directors. Elvis and Mo worked incredibly hard to make everyone's experience terrific (at least in my eyes).

Mo had to handle much more difficult passengers, who wanted him to comp them for drinks....which I had never seen before. Mo handled it wonderfully. It was almost funny.

Elvis turned pool aerobics into Salsa dancing....fun fun and more fun!

Edited by Paulette3028

We had Erky from Turkey as Activities Manager on the Explorer in Oct. and he was great. The rapport he had with Cruise Director Leigh was incredible. They made the cruise more enjoyable then any I had been on. I am sailing Explorer again March 21st and sadly they will be one vacation then. I heard from Erky that he is coming back early, March 29th. I was disappointed that I will miss him by a week.

Doris

We had Erky from Turkey as Activities Manager on the Explorer in Oct. and he was great. The rapport he had with Cruise Director Leigh was incredible. They made the cruise more enjoyable then any I had been on. I am sailing Explorer again March 21st and sadly they will be one vacation then. I heard from Erky that he is coming back early, March 29th. I was disappointed that I will miss him by a week.

Doris

They are a fantastic team!

• 2 weeks later...
Many current Cruise Directors began their careers as Activity Directors or Assistant CDs. In some instances we have seen a chemistry between the Cruise director and the Activities Manager that worked wonderfully.

I will agree with you that good chemistry is important between the Cruise Director and the Activities Manager.

What Activity Managers have people had on some of their recent cruises -- Add your experiences for all of us to read.

Whether you have been on Allure or Oasis or Majesty or something in between share with others your experiences.

Just off the Allure. Activities manager was Zac from south Africa. He seemed to be in charge of the more informal entertainment such as the 70's party and glow party. He did a great job and had great energy and enthusiasm. Would love to cruise with him again

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Forums mobile app

Just off the Allure. Activities manager was Zac from south Africa. He seemed to be in charge of the more informal entertainment such as the 70's party and glow party. He did a great job and had great energy and enthusiasm. Would love to cruise with him again

I agree. He told us at the Meet and Mingle last week that he has been chosen to move to Quantum when it launches.

Just back from Navigator and the Activities manager was Rob McNally (from Liverpool) He and the CD Mitch Merucci ( Canada) were very funny together on the morning show and seemed to have great chemistry together. Rob will be going to Adventure when it repositions to the UK. Shame because I thought he was great, and had a native Liverpool wit................:D

Love Erky from Turkey. He was on the Voyager for a while along with another lady called Mama who is also very funny. :)

It has been good to see various people move up to CD from the AM position. Rich E, Mitch, Luke, have all done great jobs. I see others that will probably get moved up and Darryl certainly should, he is great. However I have also seen some in the CD role that I would prefer to never see on a ship, let alone in the CD position. :D

Frankie was the AM on Oasis in December, he was awesome and the CD was injured so he took over a lot of the activities for him.

We've also had Patrick Richard or Richards on Rhapsody he was a lot of fun as well.

Loved Jaime, who was with Richard Spacey on my last FOS -- those two had great chemistry, and I can easily see Jaime moving up to CD

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Totally AGREE :D

Jamie was so funny with a lot of energy.

We would love to meet up with him someday aboard a RCCL ship.

Enjoyed Richard too however, he is now in a position on land.....

Katie

Katie

Katie

Katie

Katie

I love Darryl, but Katie is #1 in my book.

:)

(Katie Turner, in case anyone wants more info. From England. Blonde.) :)

Richard & Katie on my Freedom cruise last October was great. They were so good together. Seeing their antics everyday was must see TV on the cruise!

Richard, Katie & I

030_zps6361cdad.jpg :cool:

Edited by bigque

another kudo for Jamie Fenimen. He was fantastic on FOS last May. The morning show with him and Richard Spacey was hilarious. They were sitting on the Ben and Jerry's cows for the first show of the cruise. :D He did a trivia quiz of all things British on the last sea day that was fantastic. Really hope he is promoted to CD one day. He would be great. On our 2011 Jewel of the Seas cruise, the AD was a gal named Becky. Can't remember her last name but I think she was new to the job and was fantastic. She had a very dry, quiet sense of humor and I was very impressed with her. Have often wondered where she is now. Would love to cruise with her again someday.

Richard & Katie on my Freedom cruise last October was great. They were so good together. Seeing their antics everyday was must see TV on the cruise!

Richard, Katie & I

030_zps6361cdad.jpg :cool:

Here at our Meet & Mingle, Katie was hilarious! She saw me taking a random picture of her, so she stopped me and said..."Here let me give you my good side"! :D

036_zpsc72fb73a.jpg

It has been good to see various people move up to CD from the AM position. Rich E, Mitch, Luke, have all done great jobs. I see others that will probably get moved up and Darryl certainly should, he is great. However I have also seen some in the CD role that I would prefer to never see on a ship, let alone in the CD position. :D

Add Leigh Xuereb to the list of former Activities Managers who was (relatively) recently moved up to the CD role. He has become one of RCI's most popular and most dynamic CD's!

Add Leigh Xuereb to the list of former Activities Managers who was (relatively) recently moved up to the CD role. He has become one of RCI's most popular and most dynamic CD's!

Do you think Katie will ever move up?? I think she deserves it! :cool:

Frankie was the AM on Oasis in December, he was awesome and the CD was injured so he took over a lot of the activities for him.

We've also had Patrick Richard or Richards on Rhapsody he was a lot of fun as well.

I agree about Frankie, he was our AM on Explorer and the Jewel and is just a real nice guy.

Where is Mitch a CD now? He was our AM with CD Mike S (another great ex RCCL CD) a few years ago and was great. They worked well together, they called themselves big and little. It was the last cruise he had before he went to the launch of the Oasis.

Mike