Opinions Needed Please!

cotto22

We have sailed on Silver Sea for the past 3 cruises, and enjoyed ourselves tremendously, but for scheduling reasons are looking elsewhere for a special cruise for October, 2014. We have two options: a Regent 10 day from Rome to Lisbon, and a b2b on Azamara in the Mediterranean lasting 14 days. We have been on Regent twice before, but not when they were totally all inclusive, i.e. shore excursions were not included, so we do not know how that will be handled. And Azamara is totally an unknown.

We are not retired super-wealthy people, but choose our vacations carefully, and cruise every 2-3 years. This cruise is special in that it is an anniversary. We have cruised Silversea and Seabourn most recently, and Regent 5 years ago. We do enjoy the all inclusive aspect of Silversea, and are wondering if we would be happy with Azamara or even Regent currently.

With all the wealth of experience on these boards, I am hoping that those of you who have cruised extensively could give me your input. If you have sailed on either Regent on Azamara recently, that would ever so helpful. We really need to commit to one or another or we will end up doing neither one!

Thanks!

We have sailed both Regent (over 100 days) and Silversea (over 100 days after this December's Shadow voyage). We have not sailed Azamara, so hopefully another SS/R cruise critic will offer their experienced view.

We were last on Regent 14 months ago and in the next 22 months, we have just one Regent cruise booked for 15 days, we have three cruises booked on Silversea for 45 days.

Regent's service is near Silversea's but we find SS's a bit more intuitive and prefer lunches on Silversea (La Terraza's Sushi daily) and the Italian dining in La Terraza at night vs Setti Mari @ night on Regent. Dinner service in The Compass Rose (Regent) and The Restaurant (SS) is about equal. With Regent unless you book a higher category suite you will not get a butler (concierge/PH). Entertainment offered by both is similar in quality. Finally, as we exceed 100 days on Silversea (vs over 100 on Regent) we prefer the loyalty SS bennies; free laundry and 5% off any future cruise booked after sailing 100 days (more than pays for free internet you get when u sail over 100 days on Regent),

Most significantly if cost is a factor, Regent is now the highest price of the major lux cruise lines with their included excursions model. The execution of included excursions is adequately done (you form in the theater 15-30 min prior to your excursion start time with about 50-75 (on occasion 100-150 fellow pax) of your fellow guests waiting for your bus number to be called. However, with the significant savings you get by saving Silversea vs Regent, SS wins out most of the time for us unless the itinerary is unique to Regent only. For example, on a Silversea Tokyo To Hong Kong cruise we are sailing next year on Silversea our savings is near $9000 vs the Regent cruise ($11,499 pp on R vs $6750pp on SS )), we could take a private excursion in every port and still not spend this amount on Silversea.

Did a quick review of Silversea 10 day Med cruises vs the Regent Lisbon to Rome 10 day you mention. Difference in cruise cost is about $3000 more pp with Regent than with Silversea. We have found on a two week Silversea cruise we spend about $2500 on excursions--so booking Regent costs about $3500 more. However, you can get a good deal on Biz Class air on you cruise $1299 pp each way, if you do not do your own air, and want to fly BC.

Push comes to shove, we will choose Silversea over Regent, but either Regent or SS is a good choice and we are indeed fortunate to be able to sail either line.

Hooe this helps.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

In our marriage, we've decided to take the attitude that every day is special. Therefore, my birthday, Valentine's Day and our anniversary are no different from an ordinary day. My dh is to treat me like a Queen, EVERYDAY! And I try to treat him as my lord and master, everyday.

This has two advantages: 1. no gift giving is required on a certain date and 2. he has permission to work on my birthday and anniversary.

On our 30th anniversary, he may literally be on the other side of the world, while I work madly to get our home of 24 years packed up so we can move. That doesn't sound romantic at all. But our reasoning is 1) he's off working hard to earn the money for more trips and 2) I'm working double hard at home in order to free him up so he can earn money for our travel.

On the other hand, we just got back from a 42 day trip, including 31 on SS. Sure, SS didn't do anything special for our anniversary (since it hasn't happened yet) but we still had a rather good time.

Like you, on our semi-retirement income, we are not rich enough to take SS trips every year (unless my dh has a particularly good contract that adds sufficiently to our coffers.) So, if I was you, I'd look carefully at the difference in price and decide that switching my trip to a date off my anniversary equals 3 - 4 extra days on SS (we tend to cheap out on tours plus our TA gives us a nice shipboard credit to work with) and make the switch to SS rather than Regent.

There's another wrinkle in this. If you are cheap/frugal/canny as I am, you'll find yourself doing every tour on Regent 'because I paid for it.' I love sea days and find too many port days overwhelming so we'll often just walk a port or even go to a grocery store in order to get a feel for the culture, rather than take a formal tour. Otherwise, I get too cranky and overtired.

Edited by CanadianKate

I appreciate your reply and we do like SS a lot, which is why our last three cruises have been with them. But the itinerary for the time period we need is just not what we want, and that is the primary reason we are not considering them at this time. I know we will be returning at some point in the future because they are a quality operation. We have many fond memories of those three cruises.

I am a bit worried about the all inclusive shore excursion aspect of the Regent experience. I don't want to spend a good percentage of the day waiting for buses, and I don't want to see everything from a bus window.

And that angst is double for Azamara, which is a total unknown for us! At least I have been on Regent twice, albeit when they were Radisson. Hopefully I can get some input regarding the 'quality of life' on an Azamara cruise from someone who has experienced Silversea as well.

Thanks!

I have only sailed twice on Azamara and never on SS or Regents, so I can't give you a comparison. I would recommend browsing the Azamara thread where there have been many posts about the pros, cons and comparisons.

Azamara is noted for the quality of their staff on board, ratio of 400 crew to 700 passengers and good food. The officers are always available, often mingling with us in the lounges and cafe. The Journey and Quest are happy ships, all smiles, no frowns.

JoeK

I did post on Azamara a few weeks ago, and have been reading various threads there as well as the Regent board trying to get a feel for both. I really don't know why I am being so indecisive, I have booked other cruises quickly without second thoughts.

It does seem that many people rave about the friendliness on Azamara and that atmosphere does sound inviting.

We spent out honeymoon on a Caribbean cruise on the QEII out of NY, as well as a second honeymoon on the same vessel before the birth of our first child 33 years ago. That is why we wanted to be cruising together on our anniversary.

I think I will give myself a deadline of a day or two and then commit. We will have a wonderful time no matter which one we choose. We both love to travel and after the year we have had, it will be nice to get away, no matter where it is!

In our marriage, we've decided to take the attitude that every day is special. Therefore, my birthday, Valentine's Day and our anniversary are no different from an ordinary day. My dh is to treat me like a Queen, EVERYDAY! And I try to treat him as my lord and master, everyday.

This has two advantages: 1. no gift giving is required on a certain date and 2. he has permission to work on my birthday and anniversary.

On our 30th anniversary, he may literally be on the other side of the world, while I work madly to get our home of 24 years packed up so we can move. That doesn't sound romantic at all. But our reasoning is 1) he's off working hard to earn the money for more trips and 2) I'm working double hard at home in order to free him up so he can earn money for our travel.

On the other hand, we just got back from a 42 day trip, including 31 on SS. Sure, SS didn't do anything special for our anniversary (since it hasn't happened yet) but we still had a rather good time.

Like you, on our semi-retirement income, we are not rich enough to take SS trips every year (unless my dh has a particularly good contract that adds sufficiently to our coffers.) So, if I was you, I'd look carefully at the difference in price and decide that switching my trip to a date off my anniversary equals 3 - 4 extra days on SS (we tend to cheap out on tours plus our TA gives us a nice shipboard credit to work with) and make the switch to SS rather than Regent.

There's another wrinkle in this. If you are cheap/frugal/canny as I am, you'll find yourself doing every tour on Regent 'because I paid for it.' I love sea days and find too many port days overwhelming so we'll often just walk a port or even go to a grocery store in order to get a feel for the culture, rather than take a formal tour. Otherwise, I get too cranky and overtired.

Our favorite way to explore a port is to find the local grocery stores and farmers markets too!

Guest superradiationboy

I am not sure if my experience with Azamara is recent enough to help you. Though we sailed with them numerous times in the past, our last voyage with them was about 2 or so years ago.

Having said that, I don’t think that Azamara and Silversea/Seabourn are in the same league, as they are targeting 2 different markets – Azamara = Entry level luxury; Silversea/Seabourn = Ultra luxury.

The differences are quite obvious once you get on the ships. Azamara runs those 30,000 tons R ships, they are cute, nice and very comfortable. But, around the same tonnage, Silversea ships carry less passengers and the result is bigger rooms and even more public space per guest. The most obvious is in the main dining room. Silversea’s The Restaurant always has enough space between tables to ensure comfort for the guests and allow proper service. The R ships’ dining room is pretty tight in numerous locations.

In general, Silversea is more sophisticated and polished than Azamara. You will always see tablecloths (except eating outside), silver cutleries, nice china and crystals… on Silversea. Azamara has very good friendly, happy service, especially their management and officers, but at times unpolished –incident like pouring the 8 of us white wine without noticing that the bottle was warm happened to us. And you often need to personally line up and wait to get something made to order in the buffet. Silversea’s service is much more sophisticated, consistent, proper and intuitive, similar to staying in those top class hotels.

On our first voyage with Azamara, the ingredients they use for cooking was approaching Silversea’s level. Cutbacks were noticed in subsequent cruises. No more jumbo scallops (or they sliced them in halves), no king crab legs… etc. They still cook well, but Silversea is better, to my taste.

I am not a wine connoisseur, nor do I know right away where the grapes from, or how much each bottle cost. But I seem to enjoy the complimentary wines on Azamara better than those on Silversea. To me, Silversea’s wines are like the “house wines” one can get in any local restaurant in Italy – some pretty good, others I wouldn’t even bother asking the name.

Anyway, either cruise line will give you a very comfortable trip, I believe. Just that Silversea is more luxurious in almost every aspect. If you expect Azamara to be on the same level as Silversea, you probably would find quite a few deficiencies.

Azamara is like flying business class with the “Friendly Skies”. Silversea is first on an Asian carrier.

Oh, by the way, have you looked into Oceania? To us, they are between Azamara and Silversea.

I have cruised extensively on both Regent and Silversea, once on Oceania, and never on Azamara. I think Regent and Silversea are pretty comparable, and I choose based on the itinerary mostly. I can't tell a smidge of difference between service or food really.

My husband was disappointed with Oceania, and he would not sail on them again. Mostly because the ship we were on (Riviera) is just too big for his taste. I was ok with it. We definitely did not save money sailing Oceania after adding in all the things to make it more like Silversea or Regent (larger cabin with veranda, drinks package, internet package, etc).

My impression is that Azamara would be more similar to Oceania. So I personally am not considering them at this time. But I do know people who like Azamara a lot.

Like RachelG I have spent many nights on both SS and Regent. My favorite ship is Silver Whisper just because of the atmosphere. Except for that the experience is quite similar. We found the excursions on Regent to be well done. There is no waiting for buses and the buses are about the same level of full. One major objection is that Regent does not always have a rep on board as SS does.

My recommendation is to choose the itinerary you want as the experience will be good either way.

I have not sailed Azamara and don't intend to.

Thanks to all who have replied. I am leaning toward the Regent because we have been very satisfied with SS and believe that Regent will be closest to that experience. But I don't think we would be miserable on Azamara. We would take a PH cabin and upgrade the beverage package etc to make the experience more comparable to SS. And there are a lot of happy cruisers on that line!

Wes, do you mind telling me which SS Tokyo to Hong Kong you are refering to? I have looked at Regent's trip which goes in March 2015 and has a fantastic itinerary with six stops in Japan. I tried to find a similar trip with SS but could only find one in October with not as good an itinerary. March is a much better time to travel there and I am looking for more Japan than China. Curious to know what you found. Elsie

Hi Elsie, so nice to hear from you.

Tho think this is the October itinerary u mention, pls see (but remember for the Regent cruise you're going to pay about $10K more for two in a standard veranda cabin, this is why cruising on Regent now is so problematic--no way they are worth a $5K supplement per person above Silversea (in fact I like sailing on SS a tad better than I do on Regent):

Tokyo, Japan to Hong Kong, China

Date: Oct 02 2015

Ship: Silver Shadow

Duration: 16 days

Voyage Code: 3528

Oct 02 2015 Fri Tokyo, Japan 6:00 PM

Oct 03 2015 Sat Osaka, Japan 6:00 PM

Oct 04 2015 Sun Osaka, Japan

Oct 05 2015 Mon Osaka, Japan 12:00 PM

Oct 06 2015 Tue Hiroshima, Japan 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

Oct 07 2015 Wed Busan, South Korea 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Oct 08 2015 Thu Jeju, South Korea 8:00 AM 2:00 PM

Oct 09 2015 Fri Day at Sea

Oct 10 2015 Sat Tianjin (Beijing), China 7:00 AM

Oct 11 2015 Sun Tianjin (Beijing), China 7:00 PM

Oct 12 2015 Mon Dalian, China 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

Oct 13 2015 Tue Day at Sea

Oct 14 2015 Wed Shanghai, China 8:00 AM

Oct 15 2015 Thu Shanghai, China 6:00 PM

Oct 16 2015 Fri Day at Sea

Oct 17 2015 Sat Day at Sea

Oct 18 2015 Sun Hong Kong, China 8:00 AM

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Thanks Wes. I agree that SS is less expensive than Regent especially if traveling as a single. My problem is that I have done the SS itinerary and would now like to do more Japan. The Regent itinerary is what I am looking for but will have to give it some thought. At the moment I am in the middle of preparing to move next week so don't want to commit to either cruise line until I am settled. Doesn't stop me from looking though. Elsie