Passport card or no passport card?

Califor6

I was told by a Carnival Rep (when I called to ask some questions), that we do not NEED a Passport Card for the 4night Imagination Cruise out of Long Beach to Mexico. I was totally surprised....no passport required for a foreign trip? She said that just need our birth certificates and id cards....

true? anyone go without a Passport Card? I'm little concerned that when in port, if something happens, that we don't have a verification....

Anyone traveled without on this Mexico cruise? comments?

THANKS for your verifications....was concerned about making enough time to apply for passport cards in time for a potential June cruise. I see those passport lines at the post office whenever I go in there, and they are hours upon hours to wait....and of course, that's money that I can save too. :)

It was explained to me that the only reason you really need a passport, is if something happened and you needed to FLY home. In which case, you would need the book - not the card. But for just normal cruise activities, just the birth certificate is fine.

OP can drive home from Ensenada if she has to.;) (Ensenada is less than 100 miles south of the border.)

But you would need a passport card or full passport to do that.

Need the official Gov't issued BC and DL or State ID for everyone over the age of 16. HS ID's won't work.

CA ID are processed thru the DMV.

Edited by SadieN

THANKS for your verifications....was concerned about making enough time to apply for passport cards in time for a potential June cruise. I see those passport lines at the post office whenever I go in there, and they are hours upon hours to wait....and of course, that's money that I can save too. :)

It took my parents 2 weeks to get their passport, they just sent it in the beginning of Feb and got it back already so June should be no problem.

You need the Passport BOOK which takes care of everything. :)

While the Passport CARD is nice to also have (we do) and convenient as a government ID in most ports on cruises and crossing by car form the US to Canada or Mexico, the most important and needed is the Passport BOOK.

LuLu

~~~~

While the Passport CARD is nice to also have (we do) and convenient as a government ID in most ports on cruises and crossing by car form the US to Canada or Mexico, the most important and needed is the Passport BOOK.

LuLu

~~~~

you dont NEED it... you should have it and I recommend it but you dont NEED it.

LuLu

~~~~

YESSSSSS

get the passport book!! save yourself the worry and possible trouble heaven forbid there is a reason you need to be home.

A lot of post offices here take appointments .. I would get a passport book just to be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

She is correct, the passport cards are only good for driving across the border. We did the same cruise in October and my kids just had birth certificates. If you are considering passports, I would get the book.

Actually the passport card is good for land AND sea travel. My husband and I both have the card and we will be paying to get the book before our next cruise. Even though you can still sail without a passport, the older I get the more nervous I am that I may have to fly home at some point and won't want to deal with the red tape involved in getting an emergency passport. Our mothers are getting older, we have kids & grandkids and I want to be able to get to them as quick as possible if something arises.

For the 4 day, I wouldn't bother but if you are planning any more trips out of the U.S. I would go for it :).

Actually the passport card is good for land AND sea travel. My husband and I both have the card and we will be paying to get the book before our next cruise. Even though you can still sail without a passport, the older I get the more nervous I am that I may have to fly home at some point and won't want to deal with the red tape involved in getting an emergency passport. Our mothers are getting older, we have kids & grandkids and I want to be able to get to them as quick as possible if something arises.

For the 4 day, I wouldn't bother but if you are planning any more trips out of the U.S. I would go for it :).

I dont think you can use a passport card to fly. Only drive so if you have to fly back home, it wont do you any good

I dont think you can use a passport card to fly. Only drive so if you have to fly back home, it wont do you any good

That's why I said we are getting the actual passport books before our next trip :). We have the card and know that it is good for land & sea only so we are going to get the full book.