bringing another child with you

Califor6

my 16yr old daughter would like to bring her 13yr old friend....I'm concerned about what my responsibilities would be for this friend. Would I need a power of attorney, just in case of anything happening - sickness, etc while onboard. and wandering where they could 'hang out' together with the age difference. the Club02 is only for 15-17yr. comments/thoughts?

you would need a certified document from the childs parents (both I think) and a medical clearance form.

there have been threads on this here but I cant search them...

Here is something you can look at

I cant have the link so here is what it looks like

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Edited by hftmrock
adding form

thank you. would this apply to any child under 18yr, that is not mine?

yes.

while cruising is a great family vacation, the child you bring you'd be responsible for 100%. i'm not sure i'd want to take on that responsibility on my vacation. hopefully it all works out for you and it's a good trip!!

We had no problem letting our 16 yo daughter take her friend a couple years ago. We had the emergency paperwork just in case. Now the same friend will also be traveling with us for the graduation trip in May...they'll both be 18 and legal in Europe!! Really, it mostly depends on your relationship with the friend and with the family. In your situation I'd be concerned about the fact they both can't be in the same "club". So, they'll need to be able to entertain themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my 16yr old daughter would like to bring her 13yr old friend....I'm concerned about what my responsibilities would be for this friend. Would I need a power of attorney, just in case of anything happening - sickness, etc while onboard. and wandering where they could 'hang out' together with the age difference. the Club02 is only for 15-17yr. comments/thoughts?

They can not attend the camps together. They can do most all other activities though.

While the girls cannot do camp together, they won't really need it. My DS who is 18 now and has been cruising since he was 9, never liked the kid's clubs. He always met kids in the game arcade and near the pool or playing ping pong. They won't have a problem meeting other kids if that's what they want to do.

The kids hang out all over the ship. My DS could be found playing ping pong, in the game arcade, having pizza, at the ice cream stand, near the pool, playing games and cards in the game room, or just eating in any of the restaurants.

The form that someone posted above on this thread is all you will need to take another child on vacation with you. I've taken one of the DS's friends with us twice and his girlfriend went with us one spring break. All I had was a notarized form exactly like the one shown on this thread. As a matter of fact, all three times...we were never asked to show the paperwork...NOT ONCE. However, I would never have traveled without one, especially the medical authorization form.

I always treated the DS's friends as my own kids and they had to follow the same rules as my DS did. When one time the boys broke the curfew rule...they both paid the same consequence, which was having to come back to the cabin really early the next night. We had a great time traveling with them. Yes, it's a big responsibility, but so is watching out for your own kid. Just be sure you know that the friend is one that is willing to respect your family rules and the consequences for breaking them. They have to able to listen to you at all times just as your own child does.

:D

I think the girls will have an awesome time.

Edited by mousey

It's great that they are friends even with the age difference but something for you and the friends parents to remember is that if the girls make friends with other kids on the ship who iof course are total strangers those friends may certainly be in the age range of 16 to 18

While they certainly could also be in the younger age range one should not forget the possibility that the 13 year old may in actuality be hanging around with 18 year olds on this cruise.

Not saying anything will happen just saying one needs to be aware of this possibility if you want to encourage them to meet other teens on the ship as you are responsible for the 13 year old

Of course since they have each other to be with they might not want to make other acquaintances.

I am saying this because in your original post you say you are concerned about your responsibilities with the friend and the issues relating to their ages difference regarding where they could hang out

Edited by Crusin6

Carnival says:

"When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico."

Here is an example letter:

http://seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

I have taken my minor age niece with me on cruises and took a notarized letter signed by both her parents authorizing me to take her and to give me permission to get her medical care if needed. Never had a problem with that.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by winddawn

We have taken a friend for DD several times. Along with the notarized letter with permission for travel, permission to make medical decisions, passport we also had her medical insurance card. A copy of the insurance card would work, just make sure to copy both sides.

Thanks for all of the great info. I spoke with a Carnival Rep last night, that actually told me ANYONE under 21yr old with us, will need such a document....that you are only an 'adult' by Carnival standards, if you are 21+....so even the 18yr old that my son is bringing, will need a document

• 4 months later...