Carry-on bags only for a 7 night cruise?

Pacclady

Oh my, I am so excited that I could BURST! It's been 3 years since my hubby and I last took a cruise and that is just way too long. We leave on the Pearl on April 11th for her western Caribbean route. Six weeks!!!!!!

However, we are traveling on a budget. The budget states that money should only be spend on essentials...or in other words, alcohol. (This is our first trip without the kids.) And thanks to an amazing deal, we are flying via Delta. We usually are Southwest only so this whole paying for baggage stinks. And in an effort to stick to our budget, my hubby says we should only carry-on and not check any bags.

That means a small suitcase and a back pack and that's it! For a 7 night cruise! Is that even possible? I will admit that I am the queen of overpacking but I like to have options. I can't even imagine how you can get everything you need for a 7 night cruise into those small bags. Has anyone else done it? Any tips on how you did it because it just seems impossible to me. But I'm willing to give it a go if it means more alcohol. (Again, first trip without the kids.)

Six more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like that "amazing" Delta flight deal isn't such an amazing deal after all. Maybe slightly off-topic, but I wonder how the Delta fare + bag fees compares to SWA's fare with no bag fees.

As for 7 days with carry-on only... I couldn't do it. I'm a guy and I pack more than my wife.

You and your husband are going to be those people who stand in the aisle of the plane trying to cram that giant ass bag into the overheads, huh?

Anyway, good luck and have fun... keep calm and drink on!

Edited by triptolemus

I take a21 inch roll on and a tote for 3 week trips that include 12 day cruises

Black slacks and dressy tops for night

Capris shirts and tops for day

Bathing suit and cover up

Walking sandals and one pair of evening sandals and flip flops

No need to be excessive with clothing

Oh and we travel with 4 daughters aged 13 to 23 and they pack the same way

We all have plenty if clothing and look great in all pictures

Try it

Oh my, I am so excited that I could BURST! It's been 3 years since my hubby and I last took a cruise and that is just way too long. We leave on the Pearl on April 11th for her western Caribbean route. Six weeks!!!!!!

However, we are traveling on a budget. The budget states that money should only be spend on essentials...or in other words, alcohol. (This is our first trip without the kids.) And thanks to an amazing deal, we are flying via Delta. We usually are Southwest only so this whole paying for baggage stinks. And in an effort to stick to our budget, my hubby says we should only carry-on and not check any bags.

That means a small suitcase and a back pack and that's it! For a 7 night cruise! Is that even possible? I will admit that I am the queen of overpacking but I like to have options. I can't even imagine how you can get everything you need for a 7 night cruise into those small bags. Has anyone else done it? Any tips on how you did it because it just seems impossible to me. But I'm willing to give it a go if it means more alcohol. (Again, first trip without the kids.)

Six more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes totally possible. One way to do it IF you are flying in day early:

1. Ship cosmetics/toiletries, etc. in a large flat rate, US Priority mail box to your hotel and time it to arrive the day you do. CAll the hotel and tell them to hold it for you. This has always worked for me --- never had a problem. It needs to be addressed like so:

YOUR NAME - HOTEL GUEST

c/o Hotel name and address.

You also need to call them and tell them to expect it and to hold it for your arrival. Follow up if you want prior to arrival.

2. Use your backpack as a purse and stuff it with anything you can.

3. Forgo formal outfits, etc. Use all interchangeable outfits/separates. Use jewelry to dress it up.

I might think of more, but this is just the few off the top of the head.

Edited by artist47

We just flew Delta from NY to Tampa (5 of us) and we didn't want to pay $25x5 each way there and back just to check bags. Also there was no need to worry if bags got lost (like they did on our disney trip). We only needed shorts/t-shirts and flip flops so it was possible.

We travelled in our heaviest clothes (Jeans/long sleeves and a sweatshirt w/sneakers) and we flew back wearing those same clothes. To pack I rolled up everything and in some cases used XL ziplocs and squeezed the air out of them to fit more. ( I already had them but you can buy a box at Target for about $2)

Dont overpack! You really can reuse your clothes all trip! Don't really need too many shoes. I wore same dressy sandals when we went out to dinner every night.

As for toiletries I used the 3.4 oz bottles for my conditioner and toothpaste and the cruise (NCL Dawn) gives soap and shampoo. Deoderant is a solid so not a problem.

Are you flying in early for the cruise? We had a few hours to kill in Tampa before our cruise so we went to CVS to buy razors and sunscreen because we knew we would need alot of sunscreen for 5 people in 7 days in the caribbean. If you don't need as much you might be able to go with just the sample sizes.

At the end we had leftover sunscreen we just left it in the hotel room after the cruise because we couldnt fly back with it. Oh well. Still only about $5 loss.

FWIW Every trip I go on I seem to overpack. This was the first time that I was forced to really weed out what I didnt really need. Was a perfect amt for 7 days. Even my kids were fine carrying their backpacks and a rolling carryon. They are 8,10 & 12 and we all had no issue.

Enjoy!

We did 2 weeks in Europe (including cruise) with carry-on bags - four people, four bags - and it worked fine. And it was fall! We did wash on the ship one time - just a few things in one bag and took care of some undies and socks in the sink. The Caribbean is a piece of cake with shorts, Tees, and casual wear. There are lots of methods for doing this (we really have it down to a science), but my suggestion is to make a list, edit where you can, and don't take a ton of shoes or clothes for the evening - it is freestyle, no one will notice if you wear the same black slacks and top for dinner several times.

No problem. We do it all the time. Have managed it for 14 days with one carryon and my tote bag sized purse, which is large and crammed full with my electrical stuff (ipad, Ipod, camera, iphone, charging cords etc); my husband brings one carryon and a small backpack.

For a warm destination coming from cold, we both wear jeans, a light nice jacket and a long sleeve shirt. He brings khakis, polo shirts, t shirts, one or two button down sports shirts, dressier boat shoes or loafers (wears sneakers), one pair of sweat pants and a bathing suit. I bring one pair of dressy black pants, several tops to go with it, one pair of dressy shoes, flip flops, bathing suit, cover-up, capris, a jean or khaki skirt and multiple solid color tops that can be mixed and matched, and nightgown. I also usually bring a couple of fancy scarves to make the dressy outfits look different. He takes toiletries in his bag, I take all my girl stuff in mine - makeup, hair stuff, flat iron, perfume etc. I also always bring another fold up carry-all bag to put stuff in I buy, and hope I can get back on plane with carry-on, plus purse, plus fold-up bag. Never had an issue yet.

terry

I did my last 7 day cruise with a carry on and an oversized purse/beach bag. 3 bathing suits, 3 pr shorts, 2 pr flat sandals a pair long pants, 7 rolled t shirts and 2 sun dresses, underwear, suntan lotion, a few cosmetics, a book to read (right!) and wore long pants, tank top and beach cover up and sneakers for travelling. 1 whole change of clothing went into the beach bag in case my luggage got delayed being delivered to my cabin. Consider what you think you'll be doing....are you a sun worshipper? A gambler? Expect to inside or outside more??? (My opinion is outside needs less clothing, lol). Maybe inside too, if you are talking 2nd or 3rd honeymoon.

Good luck and happy cruising!

You're going on a cruise, yay, good for you!! Stop worrying and have a look at this YouTube video.

You'll see just how easy it is to pack all you need, which as others have said, is not that much.

It's called "packing like a pro" by Tom Ayzenberg, and it's quite good for those needing to save space or pack small.

Have a great cruise :)

Just one thing to keep in mind: You have the quart-sized Baggie of liquids to think about for carry-ons only. Not a big deal if you plan ahead a little. Easiest way is to pack a lightweight tote bag, and stop at a store (CVS, Walgreens, etc) after your flight on the way to your cruise to pick up sunscreen and any other larger essentials you might need (moisturizer, soda, waters, etc). Pop them in the tote bag for carrying on the ship, and then use the tote as a beach bag in the ports. After the cruise, just leave any extra in the cabin and fly home! Or, you could just buy this stuff on the ship or in ports, even easier.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Also, keep in mind that EACH of you can have the small carry-on suitcase and the backpack. One (the backpack) is your "personal item" and the other (the 21" suitcase) is your true carry-on. Stuff your purse inside the backpack and go from there. There are no true formal nights on NCL so no worries there. A sundress would more than work for any of the specialty restaurants if you plan on doing one. Just be sure to take some sort of sweater because, dang, they keep those ships cold (and this is coming from a regularly hot-flashing lady......I know, TMI).

All that said, I know I couldn't do it because I carry entirely too many shoes :eek: (but, I wear each and every pair.......okay....almost).

For warm weather sailings, definitely can be done - especially given NCL's Freesytle cruising & smart causal dress code, Mrs. M is just going to bring 1 evening gown/dress, do a mix-n-match and pack even less = dragging less even with a roller or spinner.

There is about 199 Youtube videos on how-to, generic ones, specifics for male & female travelers - picking & using a well designed lightweight suitcase/carryon bag and compression or packing tubes (our preference) surely help - the heavier/important items like electronics, gadgets & meds, passport, wallets & smartphones, tablets, etc. go with the smaller "personal" bag. It's a bit challenging as some airlines are beginning to enforce carrry-on rules & restrict the size of the 2nd personal bag (i.e. United as of March 1st.) and start scaling them for excessive weight - unless you have their "Explorer" CC and/or status, those bag fees do add up quick when flying.

To make matters worst, we are flying more smaller, regional jets these days even on 3 or 4 hour connecting flights via the hub systems - it's not unusual to fly an extended 737-800 narrow-bodied nonstop for 5 to 6 hours across the country with no meals, except boxed specials in Y class.

Check your aircraft and see what equipment you are being flown on, hopefully it's not E90 or E70 or CRJ7, etc. as these are the "smaller" tin cans & not much in terms of inflight services, and practically everyone has to gate-check their bags as not even 20" carryon will fit those tiny OH bins, let alone 22" ones. Hang tight to the personal bag with the valuables & critical items.

Pack it full, then empty half of it & leave them behind - that's usually what you will need & can get by for the week; and, you leave some room to buy that new souvenir t-shirts on the ship, wear it on 2 different days & bring it home afterward. Laundry sheets and/or Woolite packs in the bath sink do little miracles too with underwears ... :D (that's for those without the Platinum perks of a free bag of laundry for the week.)

Edited by mking8288

I am sure some people can do it but I am not one of them. I think it depends on the type/style of clothing you wear. If you like capri leggings and a variety of tops a few swim suits and the other things you could probably do it.

I met a man on a cruise that has written a book about traveling the world. He said that he only uses a carry-on. He wears clothes that dry overnight, so he limits them and carries 2 sets of clothes and washes one pair out each night to dry the next day. The tolietries are free from the cruise ship or hotel.

What a great way to travel.

One thing I forgot to mention: If you decide to use my tip about shipping a box to your hotel , via USPS flat rate priority -- Perfumes (and a few other liquids) are on the Post office No-No list.

Check the usps.com website for more details.

No worries about this...just try a different perfume every night onboard at the duty free shop. :)

I am struggling with the packing issue for our upcoming 12 night cruise with stays on either end. I found this website amazingly helpful in helping me visualize how mix and match could actually work! Scroll down a bit to see 10 pieces become 14 outfits that really look different! Her example is with fall clothing, but you could easily use the concept for any season. Drink up :D

One thing I forgot to mention: If you decide to use my tip about shipping a box to your hotel , via USPS flat rate priority -- Perfumes (and a few other liquids) are on the Post office No-No list.

Check the usps.com website for more details.

No worries about this...just try a different perfume every night onboard at the duty free shop. :)

Or take those paper perfume sample pages out of magazines and catalogs. Tear open one each day or night and rub on your palms.

Also, roll tops and put in front suitcase pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I travel for week long business trips with a roll-board bag, and I have to dress nicer. As stated, I'd wear a pair of jeans and a jacket with sneakers. I'd pack shorts, tee's, polos, some socks/undies and a pair of sandals. I'd put bathing suit, electronics, toiletries in my backpack.

On the trip I'd live in shorts and t-shirts with sandals, wearing shorts for a couple of days, t-shirts once, and for dinner put on jeans and a polo or maybe a hawaiian shirt. I'd do laundry halfway through the week for $25 if needed.

Yes, very do-able.

Have fun