Decent priced hotel just outside London?

We're staying 2 nights post-cruise in early June, to see London but the hotel prices in town are CRAZY ! From what I've seen, a 4 star hotel with rooms that can sleep the 3 of us will run around $600 per night!

Does anyone know of a nice hotel perhaps 15-25 minutes outside of town (Riding the Tube) that would be more in the $200 - $300 range per night?

Thanks

Not a specific recommendation as such, but just some general advice:

I wouldn't call the prices "crazy"--but yes, London hotel rates are generally expensive, especially if you're looking at the higher end. After all, London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, in terms of cost of living. That said, you should be able to find a decent (not necessarily four-star) hotel in June for considerably less than $600 a night.

Note: The "official" star ratings for British hotels (as opposed to the reviewers' ratings posted on various websites such as Trip Advisor) relate to the amenities offered by that hotel, rather than to overall quality per se. For example, a four-star hotel might have in-room tea kettles/ coffee makers/ irons, free newspapers, conference rooms, and the like, whereas a two-star hotel, for example, probably wouldn't. Yet, the two-star hotel could be just as good as, if not better than, the four-star hotel in terms of location, maintenance, and overall comfort and quality.

Thus, I would adjust my search parameters accordingly. The London hotel search page on Trip Advisor is a good place to start.

Not sure where you are looking but $600 pn is a suite at the Ritz! Try comparison sites such as Trivago or Expecia and select your options. Being a party of 3 you may find an apartment will work out better for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not sure where you are looking but $600 pn is a suite at the Ritz! Try comparison sites such as Trivago or Expecia and select your options. Being a party of 3 you may find an apartment will work out better for you.

If you were offered:confused:a suite at the RITZ for $600 take it for as long as you can afford. No way that's true! :confused::confused:

If you were offered:confused:a suite at the RITZ for $600 take it for as long as you can afford. No way that's true! :confused::confused:

I actually checked the Ritz.......$2,300 for the 2 nights including taxes and fees. That was for a standard room, not a suite or on the Executive level.

The Holiday Inn however is a bargain at only $400 per night.

Have a look at Premier Inn chain. They are fairly basic, bit are clean and have very comfortable beds. If you sign up to their email alerts they also have special offers. They normally get good reviews on Tripadvisor and have recently opened a few new hotels.

The Hoxton Hotel has good reviews and also does random cheap rates. Novotel or Ibis are not too expensive. If you are looking at hotels charging $600 a night, then you are looking at 4 or 5 hotels and are obviously going to be expensive. BTW we use Pounds Sterling in the UK, so you need to be looking at prices in pounds.

I think you need to do more research. Yes, hotels in London are expensive, but you can find reasonable prices if you look.

Incidentally, staying in a hotel outside London is false economy. You will waste a lot of time on expensive travel to get into central London.

Hello, I came on the site looking for Istanbul and ended up looking at your thread…. I would check out the Premier Inn chain www.premierinn.com the bedrooms are clean, relatively modern and the hotel prices quite moderate, normally around £80 per bedroom. Most rooms sleep 3 or 4 if requested. Naturally the Premier Inns within inner London will cost more. The hotel is usually linked to a pub where the food is moderately priced and quality is reasonable.

My job involves quite a lot of driving in the UK and I use the hotel chain whenever possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I've stayed in the Hoxton as mentioned very nice a little small our room but v nice. I would second the previous post about premier inn maybe not 4star but very nice and reasonable. The one I used was by euston station which meant we had great transport links

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I actually checked the Ritz.......$2,300 for the 2 nights including taxes and fees. That was for a standard room, not a suite or on the Executive level.

The Holiday Inn however is a bargain at only $400 per night.

Its called irony, not fact. Apparently Americans dont get Irony. I was expressing an extreme view to make a point, not a matter of fact.

• 3 weeks later...

Stay at the 5 star London Heathrow Sofitel. You can always buy it on Hotwire for around $119 USD. It is the only 5 star hotel in the LHR areas, so no risk. The hotel is connected to Terminal 5 and easy access to the tube.

Does anyone know of a nice hotel perhaps 15-25 minutes outside of town (Riding the Tube) that would be more in the $200 - $300 range per night?
You do know, don't you, that it takes 15-25 minutes by Tube just to cross from one side of central London to the other?
Stay at the 5 star London Heathrow Sofitel. ... The hotel is connected to Terminal 5 and easy access to the tube.
And from there it will take 60-90 minutes by Tube to get to most tourist locations.

Just did a quick search on Booking.com for early June. You are right, a reasonable hotel costs a bomb! Even the youth hostel with dorm beds and shared bathroom wants 138 pounds a night for 3 people. You must be joking!

I would consider replanning, visiting another town after your cruise. Why not stay somewhere nice in the south of England, and just do the highlights in London for one day? For that kind of money in the youth hostel, you can have 2 rooms in a fabulously rated 4-star accomodation in Windsor for example. Yes, getting into London and back will be longer, and train fares are not free either, but spending a ridiculous amount of money is no fun.

The UK is generally outrageously expensive, and definitely the reason I do not visit the home country very often.

Check out Citizen M in London. I have not stayed there but I have stayed at other Citizen M hotel in Holland and love them.

You said there are 3 of you. Adults and small child? The bathroom set up at Citizen M does not provide the privacy most Americans are used to so that is something to consider. Otherwise, it's fantastic and budget friendly.

Its called irony, not fact. Apparently Americans dont get Irony. I was expressing an extreme view to make a point, not a matter of fact.

Whooops! I hope you don't believe you've accurately defined irony as "extreme view." (And I hope you don't believe post #3 was an actual example of irony.) If so, all your former English teachers would be very, very, very unhappy. However, I can't disagree with the fact that most people don't understand irony.

Here are two accurate definitions:

1. humor based on using words to suggest the opposite of their literal meaning

2. something said or written that uses humor based on words suggesting the opposite of their literal meaning

Exaggeration does not equal opposite. Now, exaggeration is a perfectly useful technique to make a point, but it isn't irony. And just because I've got my English teacher hat on...

There's a third definition which has come to be accepted since most people who at least had a clue about the meaning of irony kept misusing the word: a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected

Since the English language is changing and since dictionaries are descriptive as well as prescriptive, irony eventually came to apply to both words and situations. But the definition has not stretched enough to include mere exaggeration.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

We're staying 2 nights post-cruise in early June, to see London but the hotel prices in town are CRAZY ! From what I've seen, a 4 star hotel with rooms that can sleep the 3 of us will run around $600 per night!
Just did a quick search on Booking.com for early June. You are right, a reasonable hotel costs a bomb! Even the youth hostel with dorm beds and shared bathroom wants 138 pounds a night for 3 people. You must be joking!
I'm not sure that this is right. Prompted by something that a friend has just said, even the Four Seasons at Canary Wharf can be had for £230 a night over a weekend in early June.

The caveat is that this is for a double room; and I wonder whether it's the insistence on a triple room that is causing the problem for the OP. But without exact dates, it's not really worthwhile trying to look further.

I like booking dot com for searching - not necessarily booking. Input your dates, place, # of guests and search. Then on the left a tool bar will appear allowing you to narrow your search by price, # of stars, area of city. The choices that then appear will also let you know how far they are from your selected area.

Triple rooms are a must for us also and that makes this search engine a great tool.

Also,,what do you require? We do not need room service/restaurant but did want a bed for each person, private bath, refrigerator in room, wifi, close to transit and continental breakfast. Our hotel for our May trip is not 'posh' but meets all our needs at a price point we are happy with.

Edited by onthelake

We stay at a lovely very affordable B&B called Captain Bligh House on Lambeth Road but three people would have to book two rooms. Across the street is Days Hotel Waterloo which is very reasonable priced. You're only a five minute walk to the Lambeth North Tube station and 10 minute walk to the London Eye. Imperial War Museum is just down the street. Highly recommend the area. Good luck with your booking.

Whooops! I hope you don't believe you've accurately defined irony as "extreme view." (And I hope you don't believe post #3 was an actual example of irony.) If so, all your former English teachers would be very, very, very unhappy. However, I can't disagree with the fact that most people don't understand irony.

Here are two accurate definitions:

1. humor based on using words to suggest the opposite of their literal meaning

2. something said or written that uses humor based on words suggesting the opposite of their literal meaning

Exaggeration does not equal opposite. Now, exaggeration is a perfectly useful technique to make a point, but it isn't irony. And just because I've got my English teacher hat on...

There's a third definition which has come to be accepted since most people who at least had a clue about the meaning of irony kept misusing the word: a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected

Since the English language is changing and since dictionaries are descriptive as well as prescriptive, irony eventually came to apply to both words and situations. But the definition has not stretched enough to include mere exaggeration.

I like Baldrick's definition better: "Irony - it's like goldy or silvery only made of iron.":rolleyes: