How does the Credit Card charging work?

Is your credit card literally run every night for that day's charges? Or does it get charged in lump sum at the end of the cruise on your last day?

It would be helpful to know this as I'm working on a daily budget and trying to take into consideration my automatic paycheck deposits!!!!

Is your credit card literally run every night for that day's charges? Or does it get charged in lump sum at the end of the cruise on your last day?

It would be helpful to know this as I'm working on a daily budget and trying to take into consideration my automatic paycheck deposits!!!!

Our CC has always been charged at the end. However, as mentioned in the previous post, they may charge the card if the SeaPass balance exceeds some threshold amount. It's not happened to us yet.

We have only been charged once at the end or the cruise or a few days latter. It always comes up as a charge from the ship that you are on and not a charge from Royal Caribbean. So if you sail the Oasis it will say a charge from Oasis of the Seas.

You will have authorizations/holds on a daily basis. Usually one charge at the end. We charged upwards of 10K on one cruise and I believe that they out through a few charges during the week.

It sounds like you might be doing a debit card...be aware that they do an automatic authorization/hold at the beginning and it takes a while for the holds to fall off at the end. So you could have a lot of money tied up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds like you're talking about a debit card, rather than a credit card. You need to know that with debit cards, a "hold" will be placed on your funds, so you should bring some cash to use for shopping ashore....it would be embarrassing to try and use that card and have it refused.

But yes...everything is charged in full at the END of the cruise...not on a daily basis.

Agree with the last posts

Used my debit card as credit. When I got home I had a pending transaction for after day 2, a midweek pending for the new balance middle of the cruise, a final balance which was incorrect and I had disputed due to minibar charges we had not used and a final correct balance!

If you do as pure credit card no issues, but if linked to checking account several holds go on and had to phone bank to get them taken off as were still on there after the correct amount had posted as RC say takes up to seven days to release holds!!

I have checked my credit card online half way through a 14 night cruise and I have seen Pending Transactions listed for the days before gratuities and any purchases. But at the end of the cruise there is one large charge to the card for the total amount and all the small Pending Transactions have gone.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Our bill is always several thousand per cruise and we only have one charge at the end. I've never seen any temporary daily charges on any card so in our case it's one charge. YMMV

:eek: for what ?!?!?! I'm first time cruiser (May) and this has scared me !

Most we normally are is our daily gratuity charge and a few drink, under $50 per day

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One charge to your credit card at the end of the cruise. I don't know if a credit hold or authorization is placed on the card as I'm not checking for it while on the cruise. But once I get off the ship and am home to check my balance, just one charge is listed. No holds or other authorizations. I have the Royal Caribbean Visa card.

What does this have to do with your automatic paycheck deposits?

You can buy all kinds of things onboard a cruise. Drinks, artwork, jewelry, shore excursions, dinner in specialty restaurants, other souvenirs. I have never spent that much, but obviously some spend more than others.

Edited by Tyler80

I have checked my credit card online half way through a 14 night cruise and I have seen Pending Transactions listed for the days before gratuities and any purchases. But at the end of the cruise there is one large charge to the card for the total amount and all the small Pending Transactions have gone.

This. I check the day we get home, but same deal. Many little pen dings, but they all disappear and one large one shows up in it's place.

One charge to your credit card at the end of the cruise. I don't know if a credit hold or authorization is placed on the card as I'm not checking for it while on the cruise. But once I get off the ship and am home to check my balance, just one charge is listed. No holds or other authorizations. I have the Royal Caribbean Visa card.

What does this have to do with your automatic paycheck deposits?

Yes, I will be using my Visa Credit Card that is linked to my Checking Account (not a Debit Card), so as you can see my paycheck, which will be automatically deposited while we're cruising, has A LOT to do with when my card is charged. :-)

We have only been charged once at the end or the cruise or a few days latter. It always comes up as a charge from the ship that you are on and not a charge from Royal Caribbean. So if you sail the Oasis it will say a charge from Oasis of the Seas.

Then it may depend on what kind of card you have.

My American Express card never names the ship. All charges say Royal Caribbean.

Then it may depend on what kind of card you have.

My American Express card never names the ship. All charges say Royal Caribbean.

Interesting Fact. I have only ever seen it charged by the ship. Good to know for future reference. Thanks!:D

Yes, I will be using my Visa Credit Card that is linked to my Checking Account (not a Debit Card), so as you can see my paycheck, which will be automatically deposited while we're cruising, has A LOT to do with when my card is charged. :-)

I would just let your bank know ahead of time so they can note your account. That way if they are holds should not affect you too much and they won't lock you card if multiple holds are placed in case they decide to do a security check it is you using it.

Maybe take cash for the first few days until your wages go in and pay your bill off on a daily basis or put a credit upfront on your room bill. And then switch to your card once you know your wages are in.

Just a suggestion.

There will be multiple authorizations throughout the week, which will tie up the money in your account, even when they eventually do they final charge.

I wonder if it might be possible to do a cash basis sea pass account and pay it down on your own schedule with the card?