Cruising with only a carry on

KKB

I would never claim to do an entire 7-day cruise with just a carry-on, but I do pack separately a carry-on and regular suitcase for every trip. I tell my husband if my checked luggage does not arrive at our destination (and that includes handing your suitcase to a dock porter), that I will still be able to do a mini-cruise.

I pack a small amount of my essential toiletries, curling iron, 1-2 pair sandals, 2 shorts, several casual shirts/tops, several dresses, 1 swimsuit, 1 pair of long pants, matching long-sleeve shirt, lightweight sweater, night clothes, extra underwear and socks. I may not be the best dressed and have to rewear things, but I will still be able to enjoy my cruise if my full-size suitcase does not make it to the ship.

Edited by logan25

We drive to the port all most all the time. And that tend to make me pack more. Now I am trying to pack lighter. I will still have a day and a night outfit for all most all the days and night. But I am trying to bring less bulky clothes, that fold flatter in the suit case. I am also bringing less shoes. My hand bags are either a cluch or the waist type (that I posted in the other thread on sewing) that I have for each outfit. They are small and flat. I don't like all the packing and folding that is needed. But my clothes now fold quicker and easier. I am finishing up (sewing) two pairs of cotton pants that when they are folded take less space than a pair of jeans in the suit case and are lighter in weight. This of course is for warm weather cruises.

A side tale:

I am one of those carry on travelers. But, I am also trained as a butler. One of the tasks I am asked to do is unpack guests' luggage and then repack when they depart. I am forever re-packing items that are exactly where I left them when I unpacked the guest, never touched. I could easily pack their belongings in one less suitcase if they only took what they ended up using. But, the people I see have enough money that they either 1)have FF status to have free bags, 2) have enough money that they don't care about bag charges or, my have 3) have their private jets…

I've packed enough that I am sick of the sound of tissue paper (EVERY item gets folded/rolled with tissue) ;) I'm also over those who call the night before their departure to ask for 6 bottles of shampoo/conditioner/lotion/bath salts, and then have the nerve to have them on the counter, ready for me to pack them for their little "souvenirs"...:rolleyes:

I pack classy - simple, timeless. Eileen Fisher makes fantastic pieces that trail well, plus the always-in-style classic white Tshirt that goes with any pant and the LBTD. It all fits in my roller. I re-wear and I wash things on trips - just part of my routine. And, I do just fine when I go to an actual Michelin starred restaurant, not the MDR on "formal" night… I won't begrudge those who want and can take copious amounts of "fashion" so they can choose/change as many times as they want. Just don't begrudge those of us who also want to be independent in our travels where we don't have to wait for luggage or for our sherpas to carry for us (I am my own sherpa)...

Edited by slidergirl

I second Eileen Fisher, and I know there are a couple others on this board that do as well. Versatile, timeless, easy to care for, and exceptional quality that last forever. I'm not a white t-shirt gal, instead my #1 wardrobe staple is the black silk knit scoop neck from Eileen Fisher. Goes with everything from jeans to silk slacks and if you hand wash it at night and hang dry, it will be completely dry and wrinkle free in the morning. I have them in long, short, and sleeveless/tank. Just picked up a couple more at Saks at 60% off--Best. Deal. Ever.

I am still here! and looking forward to discussing more tips and hints in regards to packing light and with a carry-on. This will be my first cruise (so excited) and I will be going to Western Mediterranean in May. I enjoy the classic styles too. Can't go wrong with a simple white tee. IMO. I also have a black tee :) and other shirts made from silky materials. I have found that Chico's Travelers Collection is nice as well as my old standbys Jones New York, Ann Taylor, LOFT, etc. I own three Ex-officio sundresses in neutral colors and when paired with a scarf or belt, it gives them a more sophisticated look, plus they fold up into virtually nothing!

I do have one question: Has anyone cruised this area in late May, early June? What was the weather like? What did you bring/regret bringing? TIA:)

I really enjoy all the great tips on packing. I will be doing my TA with just a carry on and a back pack. My biggest challenge will be my shoes. My feet aren't the best. I will need to take my tennis shoes and my sandles, I do not want to have to take much more. We will be staying in Europe for an additional 4 weeks or so. We have always tried to pack light but never seemed to make it happen. Keep the tips coming I am loving them. Thanks again for all the help.

I have a few Eileen Fisher pieces and I agree, they are wonderful quality and easy care. Pricey, yes, but a true value if you compare wearability for years.

What I do to save space is use compression bags for things I don't worry about wrinkling, such as underwear, swimsuits, pj's.

My clothing choices are for items that don't easily wrinkle. I'm not crazy for travel knits, such as Chico's. I don't care for the feel of the fabric and find it rather heavy. I tend to select stuff from my closet that is lightweight and has passed the test of packing in the past.

There are many brands of tubes, cubes, packing folders. We sell Eagle Creek at the store, so I have quite a few of those. The Specter line they have now is near weightless. I do caution people not to think they need multiplies to fill the case. I also believe in packing every square inch and utilizing every space available. I use dry cleaner bags instead of tissue. I have a jewelry roll, but I will pack jewelry into an evening bag, never pack an

empty bag.

I pack the smallest size folder with first night items and my next day outfit for boarding. That way I know I have at least one more change of clothing plus I don't have to disturb my suitcase.

(?

My smallncarryonnhas

Edited by Happy ks
pardon me. I cannot edit the last line. Kindle board won't let me scroll.

I probably should have clarified regarding Chico's. The pieces that I own from the Traveler's Collection are sleeveless tees. I can imagine knits getting Hot! I like their sleeveless tees because they dry quickly and they wad up into virtually nothing in your carryon. They are sort of a light polyester blend. Thanks for all the helpful tips.

Edited by Lwilli34

As I said earlier, I can't travel with just a carryon because my underwater camera equipment and some dive equipment goes in that. No way I'm checking more than $5K worth of equipment, some of which my life relies on. As far as my clothes go, I'm not an overpacker. My outfits are carefully planned so I don't do that. Everything I take gets worn at least once, and on a 10 day or longer cruise more than once, including the evening outfits. I Am very casual during the day, but like to go dressy at night. All my clothes go in one suitcase.

Edited by Laurie S.

As I said earlier, I can't travel with just a carryon because my underwater camera equipment and some dive equipment goes in that. No way I'm checking more than $5K worth of equipment, some of which my life relies on. As far as my clothes go, I'm not an overpacker. My outfits are carefully planned so I don't do that. Everything I take gets worn at least once, and on a 10 day or longer cruise more than once, including the evening outfits. I Am very casual during the day, but like to go dressy at night. All my clothes go in one suitcase.

The dive equipment buys you a pass from the carryon crowd ;)

I will say this: just because I pack in a carryon does not mean that I carryon all the time. On flights where I don't have a time constraint, I'm happy to check my carryon and just board with my daypack. It leaves free of the overhead scrum that takes place nowadays… But, when I'm doing trains, taxis, walking - the carryon is very easy to deal with. Like I said, I'm my own sherpa, so I will only pack and carry what I can haul myself AND put in the overhead bins myself.

I am still here! and looking forward to discussing more tips and hints in regards to packing light and with a carry-on. This will be my first cruise (so excited) and I will be going to Western Mediterranean in May. I enjoy the classic styles too. Can't go wrong with a simple white tee. IMO. I also have a black tee :) and other shirts made from silky materials. I have found that Chico's Travelers Collection is nice as well as my old standbys Jones New York, Ann Taylor, LOFT, etc. I own three Ex-officio sundresses in neutral colors and when paired with a scarf or belt, it gives them a more sophisticated look, plus they fold up into virtually nothing!

I do have one question: Has anyone cruised this area in late May, early June? What was the weather like? What did you bring/regret bringing? TIA:)

Cruised where? Caribbean, Med, Baltic, Alaska, Asia, and the Pacific Islands will all be different.

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your help in advance. To answer your question (I apologize for being so vague) I will be spending 3 nights on land in Barcelona, 3 nights in Madrid, apart from the cruise. The cruise begins in Barcelona, and basically visits France, and Italy. To give you on idea of ports:

Aix-en-Provence, Villefranche (Nice), Florence/Pisa, Civitavecchia (Rome), and Naples/Capri. Any and all advice, tips, suggestions, much appreciated:)