Cruising with only a carry on

KKB

Many dresses that fit into semi formal and in some cases even formal are made of thin fabrics that don't wrinkle and can be packed in no space at all. I use the same shoes for all dinners, my accessories except maybe a scarf or two all fit into a ZipLock. I don't carry a handbag on the ship. I am finishing my packing list for two weeks in Tahiti and California and will post it when I get it done.

I'm looking forward to seeing that.:D I read what you took on your three week European trip and was amazed. I've got to try this!

I live in CA and I'm sure you probably know this Ducklite but just a tip in case you don't...even though it can be really warm in CA during the days...in the evenings it can be really cool, especially if you're near the ocean so be sure to bring a lightweight jacket or sweater for evenings.:)

Edited by mousey

It always amazes me how folks can cruise with just carry on. Only for more casual travelers I would imagine though as I can't see too many posher dresses and high shoes that we at CC love wearing all fitting in a small case.

It's just not for me as I don't like to wear the same thing twice and have so many accessories they fill a bag themselves but kudos if you can get it all in and have enough to wear.

Maybe I will try it on our next 3 dayer, nah who am I kidding with a 50 minute drive to the port we still have a case each, other half has a rucksack and I have 3 pieces of hand luggage

Have fun and there is always the laundry for stains:)

I think I have found my soul-sister. :D

I think it's great that some of y'all can do a week or two week vacation in a carry on. For some reason I can do a 5 day business trip in a carry on, but the minute I know that Walt is traveling with me (like on a vacation), I pack everything that will fit in his car. Who needs to pack light when you are married to a Sherpa. ;):D;)

Lisa

Challenge tackled--it all fit, easily, no bulging bags. We don't typically buy much on our travels, but I did pack a beach bag & a roll up tote if need be. DH doesn't even have more than the single carryon (I have a backpack & may go ahead & take my purse--they can both fit under the seat; if anyone says anything, I could hand him the backpack)

I DO enjoy taking a wide variety of clothes, but with the ever increase in luggage fees, I have learned to travel with a carry on easily for up to 5 days--again, it was a challenge;) I did take more accessories than usual--they don't take up much room (actually, my little travel jewel box takes up the same space no matter how much I put in!)

24 hours WOO HOO!

It always amazes me how folks can cruise with just carry on:D Only for more casual travelers I would imagine though as I can't see too many posher dresses and high shoes that we at CC love wearing all fitting in a small case.

It's just not for me as I don't like to wear the same thing twice and have so many accessories they fill a bag themselves but kudos if you can get it all in and have enough to wear.

Maybe I will try it on our next 3 dayer, nah who am I kidding with a 50 minute drive to the port we still have a case each, other half has a rucksack and I have 3 pieces of hand luggage:eek:

Have fun and there is always the laundry for stains:)

Why the assumption that people who pack lighter can't be as well dressed as the over packer? I pack on the light side, but what I pack are nice clothes. I just wear them more than once. You would never notice. I will wear the same top twice, say on first and last nights…do you really think anyone besides me will know that? I will board and embark in the same clothes. Many times disembarking a ship I see people for the very first time. I only take a couple pair of shorts and wear them with different tops, I'd never know or notice if anyone else did that. My black slacks are worn numerous times in the evening, laundered when needed. I don't feel the need to stand out in bright colors or be noticed by the crowds, if I feel like I look good that's enough for me. My shoes are chosen for comfort my days of hobbling are done, although I do still like nice looking shoes I no longer wear heels.

I stopped overpacking years prior to the enforcement of luggage weight on airlines. For me, I just got weary of all the work and organization to overpack, only to come home with half of it unworn.

I just choose quality over quantity. Shoes, clothes, makeup, etc… packing lots of it just does't make the trip better for me.

Edited by Happy ks

I'm looking forward to seeing that.:D I read what you took on your three week European trip and was amazed. I've got to try this!

I live in CA and I'm sure you probably know this Ducklite but just a tip in case you don't...even though it can be really warm in CA during the days...in the evenings it can be really cool, especially if you're near the ocean so be sure to bring a lightweight jacket or sweater for evenings.:)

I've spent a bit of time in CA and am aware, but thanks. :)

Challenge tackled--it all fit, easily, no bulging bags. We don't typically buy much on our travels, but I did pack a beach bag & a roll up tote if need be. DH doesn't even have more than the single carryon (I have a backpack & may go ahead & take my purse--they can both fit under the seat; if anyone says anything, I could hand him the backpack)

I DO enjoy taking a wide variety of clothes, but with the ever increase in luggage fees, I have learned to travel with a carry on easily for up to 5 days--again, it was a challenge;) I did take more accessories than usual--they don't take up much room (actually, my little travel jewel box takes up the same space no matter how much I put in!)

24 hours WOO HOO!

Well done, and Bon Voyage!

I am in Connecticut for a 4 day family visit and have more weight than I plan to bring for 3 weeks in Europe.:eek: But I have things like my laptop to do some tax prep and heavy socks because my blood is now California thinned. And it did fit in my carryon.

I saw a brief interview with Samantha Brown on our local news last week, and she said that she can get 9 outfits from 3 pairs of pants and 3 tops by making sure that they all go with each other. Add some scarves for variety and distraction, and who will know or care that you're wearing the same thing multiple times?

I hate, with the fire of 10,000 dying suns, to wait at baggage claim in the airport, and I also hate to be limited where I can go because I'm dragging a 29" bag around with me. If I'm driving to the pier, I will pack the kitchen sink, but once an airplane ride is involved, fuggedaboutit.

Edited by critterchick

I plan on being a "minimalist fashionista" on our Mediterranean cruise in May. Afterwards, I'm off for a few days in Madrid. I'll be taking everything I need in my carry-on. Thank you Rick Steves for enlightening me on the merits of packing light and always wearing your money belt! Best travel advice I ever got!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I say WTG! to my fellow cruisers who enjoy packing light and have figured out a way to do so! I believe it takes ALOT of creativity given events such as formal night(s) and other occasions that might be in one's itinerary. In excitement over my Western Mediterranean cruise in May, I have been perusing the boards to find out exactly how people are accomplishing this feat! I am proud to say that I did a trial run and it worked!

The more research I have done on the topic, the more it makes sense. No baggage fee, no waiting in baggage claim, No lost baggage, No stolen baggage. In Europe, you are simply more mobile and don't look crazy with fifteen dozen bags! over cobbled streets.

Happy travels everyone!:)

Why limit myself when it's not necessary?

For myself...having a LIMIT is really FREEING. It isn't just about the ease of packing and unpacking for both embarkation and disembarkation...it's also about fewer decisions while on vacation. It's liberating to have fewer choices. For example...I really dislike the situation when you are so hungry and are in a place with a menu that has too many items...I have a hard time deciding what in the world I want to eat...if only there was a more simple decision to be made, I could decide much easier what I was really in the mood to eat...this or that? OH! definitely this...or that. But add all the other choices and it really is a bit of agony for me to stare at them all while making a decision.

I can feel that way staring at a closet with too many choices.

I actually prefer to have a smaller wardrobe, not only on vacation, but also at home.

Some people have issues with rewearing their clothing...but for my family...this is a regular activity. We often wear things for such a short period during the day...there's no need to fully launder something that has only been worn for a couple of hours...or that doesn't have any stains...or stink. Everyone has hooks in their room for clothing that is worthy to be reworn. Take it off and hang it up. And rewear it...however many times it's worthy to be reworn...before it hits the laundry. Jeans are a great example of this...as well as most bottoms and outer clothing layers. And there are ways of refreshing clothing that don't require full laundering. And honestly...because we have more limited wardrobes, in general, the few things that we do own...we love...and love to wear a lot. So it's not a hardship to be in the small wardrobe camp. The cost per wear on most of our clothing can be measured in pennies.

I recognize that YMMV and I'm not picking on you specifically. I'm just expounding on the idea of a small wardrobe...and how that isn't really as limiting to some as it is to others.

I'm trying to finalize my travel wardrobe for my up-and-coming cruise...and I am bound and determined to NOT overpack. I'm just in a more minimalist, simplify kind of space right now...I'm looking forward to literally getting away from it all while on this vacation.;)

Anita, I agree with you 100%

When I made the decision to pack lighter it was easy for me. The hard part was convincing my husband, he really fought it for a couple years. If we were going on a 7 night cruise, he'd want to take 5 pair of slacks and 10 shirts so he could have choices. That was in addition to the suit/shirts/ties/shoes for formal nights. I had to get him over the fear of not having "choices" before he saw how packing lighter made the trip easier.

I wish I could get to the part of having a smaller wardrobe at home. I'm working on that…I just love clothes :) It doesn't help that I have 2 very different jobs and I like to dress well on weekends.

Why the assumption that people who pack lighter can't be as well dressed as the over packer? I pack on the light side, but what I pack are nice clothes. I just wear them more than once. You would never notice. I will wear the same top twice, say on first and last nights…do you really think anyone besides me will know that? I will board and embark in the same clothes. Many times disembarking a ship I see people for the very first time. I only take a couple pair of shorts and wear them with different tops, I'd never know or notice if anyone else did that. My black slacks are worn numerous times in the evening, laundered when needed. I don't feel the need to stand out in bright colors or be noticed by the crowds, if I feel like I look good that's enough for me. My shoes are chosen for comfort my days of hobbling are done, although I do still like nice looking shoes I no longer wear heels.

I stopped overpacking years prior to the enforcement of luggage weight on airlines. For me, I just got weary of all the work and organization to overpack, only to come home with half of it unworn.

I just choose quality over quantity. Shoes, clothes, makeup, etc… packing lots of it just does't make the trip better for me.

Not assuming anything my dear, certainly not that a light packer is less well dressed than an over packer but what you actually describe above as your cruise wardrobe is, in my mind, very causal and maybe smart casual for the evening (?) so would probably easily fit in a carry on.

2 pairs of shorts, tops, a pair of black slacks and flat shoes take up not much room at all compared to a long evening gown, a couple of cocktail dresses and heels, not to mention day time attire. Of course it doesn't make one a better dresser of course as you could have lovely Armani trousers on and the gown could have been $12 in Ross....lol.

I too love quality and my case is full of Gucci/Channel etc, so I agree with you there. I do disagree though that anyone overpacking is taking quantity over quality.

It is absolutely horses for courses but the one question I would ask the light packers is, if there was no plane journey involved would you just take minimal outfits?:D I already know the answer;) No we would travel the same.

As I said before for me it is a no no as I wouldn't wear something twice (unlaundered, even a bra), just as it is personal choice to choose to wear something twice so of course that would mean more clothes for me and as long as I have 5 ports to drive to I can't see it changing.

Like Lisa I have a Sherpa who very kindly carries most of it.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Not assuming anything my dear, certainly not that a light packer is less well dressed than an over packer but what you actually describe above as your cruise wardrobe is, in my mind, very causal and maybe smart casual for the evening (?) so would probably easily fit in a carry on.

2 pairs of shorts, tops, a pair of black slacks and flat shoes take up not much room at all compared to a long evening gown, a couple of cocktail dresses and heels, not to mention day time attire. Of course it doesn't make one a better dresser of course as you could have lovely Armani trousers on and the gown could have been $12 in Ross....lol.

I too love quality and my case is full of Gucci/Channel etc, so I agree with you there. I do disagree though that anyone overpacking is taking quantity over quality.

It is absolutely horses for courses but the one question I would ask the light packers is, if there was no plane journey involved would you just take minimal outfits?:D I already know the answer;) No we would travel the same.

As I said before for me it is a no no as I wouldn't wear something twice (unlaundered, even a bra), just as it is personal choice to choose to wear something twice so of course that would mean more clothes for me and as long as I have 5 ports to drive to I can't see it changing.

Like Lisa I have a Sherpa who very kindly carries most of it.

Some of cruise on lines that expect elegant casual every night and don't have formal nights. This would be many if the luxury and luxury light lines these days. These same cruises also offer very reasonably priced laundry service so we don't need to worry about wearing dirty clothing. Many of us eschew the thought of yet another Caribbean, Bahamian, or California coastal itinerary (ho freaking hum) and prefer Europe or more exotic Pacific or Asian itineraries where driving isn't an option.

By the way, my last cruise that I drove to, three adults in one roll on and a garment bag. We each also had a small and mostly empty backpack or tote with electronics, medications, etc. We just don't see the need to pack for the Apocolypse.

Edited by ducklite

Never fails, we have a nice conversation going about packing light, and then those who don't see eye to eye have to step in and (condescendingly) tell us "well bless your hearts, aren't you great, I could never do that and you don't really want to do it either....you just do it because you have to."

Well -- not true. I started scaling back my luggage well before the luggage restrictions on airlines came along (and in fact, my loyalty status with my airline of choice makes it a moot point). I did it for several valid reasons:

1. Time: I used to be an overpacker, but I always begrudged the amount of time it took to pack and unpack. Apparently some folks just lob a bunch of stuff into their bag, but I always pack very carefully. I just didn't want to waste that amount of time preparing for my trip and then unpacking and organizing once I get to my destination. Plus, I prefer to have streamlined my choices so that I'm not trying to hunt down those special earrings I brought along ONLY to go with one dress or changing things from one purse to another.

2. Stress: I used to stress about what to take on various types of trips. Cruises are not my only method of travel, I also take a lot of land trips (in fact, I just got back from two weeks in Italy). As a "reformed" lighter packer, I have a ready-made list of what items work for me for travel; they pack well, go with each other, and look appropriate. I'm not out desperately shopping at the last minute for a shirt or wrap to go with "X" outfit, because it's all interchangeable (or I generally don't bring it).

3. Portability: As I said, cruises aren't my only method of travel. And even if I am cruising, I will generally try to combine it with a few days on land (mostly in Europe). It's much easier to hop on a train or get to my hotel down a cobbled street if I can manage my luggage easily. Not everyone has a "sherpa". :rolleyes:

I don't travel for a cruise with just a carry-on, but I don't overpack either. I always feel appropriately dressed: a floor-length black silk jersey skirt with a couple of lightweight embellished tops takes little room and meets formal standards anywhere.

Some of cruise on lines that expect elegant casual every night and don't have formal nights. This would be many if the luxury and luxury light lines these days. These same cruises also offer very reasonably priced laundry service so we don't need to worry about wearing dirty clothing. Many of us eschew the thought of yet another Caribbean, Bahamian, or California coastal itinerary (ho freaking hum) and prefer Europe or more exotic Pacific or Asian itineraries where driving isn't an option.

By the way, my last cruise that I drove to, three adults in one roll on and a garment bag. We each also had a small and mostly empty backpack or tote with electronics, medications, etc. We just don't see the need to pack for the Apocolypse.

Well done, you always seem to be able to travel lightly. The only time I do is when there are enforced limitations or as you say you can't drive to.

Re the ho freaking hum comment re destinations, for me personally, having lived in Asia for over 3 years and most of the last 25 years living all over Europe etc. not just day trips here and there, plus being from over the pond, these destinations are the last place I would choose to cruise so that would be ho freaking hum for me when I have the Caribbean on my doorstep. See horses for courses again.:D

Anyway I hope you are enjoying the lovely weather over in Clermont what a lovely day compared to yesterday!

Never fails, we have a nice conversation going about packing light, and then those who don't see eye to eye have to step in and (condescendingly) tell us "well bless your hearts, aren't you great, I could never do that and you don't really want to do it either....you just do it because you have to."

Well -- not true. I started scaling back my luggage well before the luggage restrictions on airlines came along (and in fact, my loyalty status with my airline of choice makes it a moot point). I did it for several valid reasons:

1. Time: I used to be an overpacker, but I always begrudged the amount of time it took to pack and unpack. Apparently some folks just lob a bunch of stuff into their bag, but I always pack very carefully. I just didn't want to waste that amount of time preparing for my trip and then unpacking and organizing once I get to my destination. Plus, I prefer to have streamlined my choices so that I'm not trying to hunt down those special earrings I brought along ONLY to go with one dress or changing things from one purse to another.

2. Stress: I used to stress about what to take on various types of trips. Cruises are not my only method of travel, I also take a lot of land trips (in fact, I just got back from two weeks in Italy). As a "reformed" lighter packer, I have a ready-made list of what items work for me for travel; they pack well, go with each other, and look appropriate. I'm not out desperately shopping at the last minute for a shirt or wrap to go with "X" outfit, because it's all interchangeable (or I generally don't bring it).

3. Portability: As I said, cruises aren't my only method of travel. And even if I am cruising, I will generally try to combine it with a few days on land (mostly in Europe). It's much easier to hop on a train or get to my hotel down a cobbled street if I can manage my luggage easily. Not everyone has a "sherpa". :rolleyes:

I don't travel for a cruise with just a carry-on, but I don't overpack either. I always feel appropriately dressed: a floor-length black silk jersey skirt with a couple of lightweight embellished tops takes little room and meets formal standards anywhere.

It's not really about not seeing eye to eye it's about having an opinion, how that is taken or read into is down to an individual but yes it has sort of turned into each side defending their choices and it is funny how a pair of rolling eyes in response to something one has written can get on your goat, whereas a normal face to face conversation would probably be just fine about this subject and on that note, you have a wonderful day.

When we drive to our local cruise port, we pack no differently than when we fly to a port.

What it all comes down to is you have to please yourself. My hope for threads like this (or ones that have lengthy packing lists of useless "what-if's) is that some people will be able to see you can pack light and still have plenty to wear. There is no reason to go out and purchase lots of clothes you may already have. I did just that on our first cruise and had regrets once I saw what people actually wore (this was in 1998). It's really just everyday people.

I sit back and people watch (I love people in all shapes and sizes). I love to see people who are relaxed and enjoying themselves, regardless of their clothing.

I respect everyone's choices. I'm going to try to pack light on my trip to FL the first week of April just to experience what it's like. (Okay, so I can do this because I have clothes stashed away at my parent's place if I get bored with what I brought...LOL):D.

But I think some people do miss the point about why some people pack a lot of clothes...like Lisa and others, we love fashion and we like playing dress-up with our shoes, bags, and other accessories. Yes, we could all pack light and look fabulous with whatever we pack...but, some of us love having lots of choices and enjoy planning out our outfits for each day of our cruise; we consider it fun and not a chore:D Have you ever seen Lisa's pictures of her outfits on her travels...I love looking at them. I don't think I'd be as excited looking at the same clothes over and over no matter how lovely they are put together or accessorized. I'd appreciate the ingenuity of it though.

I've also seen pictures of Ducklite's beautiful clothing choices and I believe she is a light packer and probably always looks awesome. She probably has fun putting her stuff together too and enjoys the challenge of looking great with less stuff.

It's just "Different strokes for different folks." As far as I'm concerned we're all beautiful!:D

I too have a private Sherpa, but mine's a little on the reluctant side! LOL! He's always asking, "Can you please pack light this time (he's been saying this for about 40 some odd years)." Then when all the luggage is piled in the living room the night before our cruise/trip it's OMG what the @#$! Then I just bat the big browns at him and he melts...it always works! :)

Edited by mousey

I respect everyone's choices. I'm going to try to pack light on my trip to FL the first week of April just to experience what it's like. (Okay, so I can do this because I have clothes stashed away at my parent's place if I get bored with what I brought...LOL):D.

But I think some people do miss the point about why some people pack a lot of clothes...like Lisa and others, we love fashion and we like playing dress-up with our shoes, bags, and other accessories. Yes, we could all pack light and look fabulous with whatever we pack...but, some of us love having choices:D Have you ever seen Lisa's pictures of her outfits on her travels...I love looking at them. I don't think I'd be as excited looking at the same clothes over and over no matter how lovely they are put together or accessorized.

I've also seen pictures of Ducklite's clothing choices and I believe she is a light packer and probably always looks awesome.

It's just "Different strokes for different folks." As far as I'm concerned were all beautiful!:D

Do you really think that those of us who have mastered packing light don't also love fashion? A small silk scarf or statement necklace can completely change an outfit. On my next cruise I am packing carry on and will have a different outfit (mostly dresses) every night. I am skimping for day wear as we are headed to Tahiti where almost every day we will be spending our days swimming and snorkeling, so I am bringing three bathing suits, three UV rash guards, and three pairs of board shorts. Between those and a pair of cargo shorts and a couple of t-shirts, I'm good. All of that fits into just half of my 20" bag. Linen, tech fabric, and very lightweight cottons take pretty much zero space. As I mentioned on another thread, I'll post the packing list with photos once I get it finalized. :)

PS--If I wear headed to Europe this winter as we had originally planned, I would have worn pretty much the same thing every day. Blue or black jeans, merino mock neck, riding boots. Classic, simple, versatile, chic. End of story. Four pair of jeans (the Ralph Lauren skinny jeans have a low volume and look fantastic with riding boots), four sweaters, three changes of socks, underwear, bras, camisoles (wash and drip dry underthings and sweaters). Add a black sweater dress, black tights, and a pair of ballet flats and a few accessories and you are set for a week for anything from casual to dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant.

Do you really think that those of us who have mastered packing light don't also love fashion? A small silk scarf or statement necklace can completely change an outfit. On my next cruise I am packing carry on and will have a different outfit (mostly dresses) every night. I am skimping for day wear as we are headed to Tahiti where almost every day we will be spending our days swimming and snorkeling, so I am bringing three bathing suits, three UV rash guards, and three pairs of board shorts. Between those and a pair of cargo shorts and a couple of t-shirts, I'm good. All of that fits into just half of my 20" bag. Linen, tech fabric, and very lightweight cottons take pretty much zero space. As I mentioned on another thread, I'll post the packing list with photos once I get it finalized. :)

PS--If I wear headed to Europe this winter as we had originally planned, I would have worn pretty much the same thing every day. Blue or black jeans, merino mock neck, riding boots. Classic, simple, versatile, chic. End of story. Four pair of jeans (the Ralph Lauren skinny jeans have a low volume and look fantastic with riding boots), four sweaters, three changes of socks, underwear, bras, camisoles (wash and drip dry underthings and sweaters). Add a black sweater dress, black tights, and a pair of ballet flats and a few accessories and you are set for a week for anything from casual to dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant.

Ducklite, I didn't mean to imply that you don't like fashion and as a matter of fact I edited my post to try and reflect that (please go up a couple of posts and read my edited post). I've seen on other threads some of the dresses you post and they are fabulous. I'm saying you enjoy doing it one way and I enjoy doing it another way but in fact I am going to try it your way on my next trip. I just think that instead of being at odds over what's best...packing light or not...we should just appreciate each other's choice and respect that we're none of us right or wrong...just different. I'm terribly sorry if I offended you in any way. If you've seen any of my posts you'll see that I rarely post anything negative about anyone and only if they are belittling someone else. I've also mentioned above in another post, that I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures as to how you got all those outfits into one roll-aboard. Again, I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear that I appreciate everyone's choices. Sometimes in e-mails things come out differently than what one intended when you're typing a fast response. That's why you'll usually see that I usually almost always edit mine. I guess my last edit didn't make on as quick so you didn't see it before you posted. Again, and I can't say it enough, I respect everyone's opinion and never meant to suggest that you don't like fashion.

Edited by mousey

But I think some people do miss the point about why some people pack a lot of clothes...like Lisa and others, we love fashion and we like playing dress-up with our shoes, bags, and other accessories. Yes, we could all pack light and look fabulous with whatever we pack...but, some of us love having lots of choices and enjoy planning out our outfits for each day of our cruise; we consider it fun and not a chore:D Have you ever seen Lisa's pictures of her outfits on her travels...I love looking at them. I don't think I'd be as excited looking at the same clothes over and over no matter how lovely they are put together or accessorized. I'd appreciate the ingenuity of it though.

I've also seen pictures of Ducklite's beautiful clothing choices and I believe she is a light packer and probably always looks awesome. She probably has fun putting her stuff together too and enjoys the challenge of looking great with less stuff.

It's just "Different strokes for different folks." As far as I'm concerned we're all beautiful!:D

I too have a private Sherpa, but mine's a little on the reluctant side! LOL! He's always asking, "Can you please pack light this time (he's been saying this for about 40 some odd years)." Then when all the luggage is piled in the living room the night before our cruise/trip it's OMG what the @#$! Then I just bat the big browns at him and he melts...it always works! :)

I wasn't offended by your posts, but try to look at it this way. The title of the thread is "Cruising with only a carry on". I don't remember reading any posts on the thread that belittle people who enjoy packing voluminously -- so I am not quite sure why there was a need for anyone to post in defense of it or to start making digs such as

"the one question I would ask the light packers is, if there was no plane journey involved would you just take minimal outfits? I already know the answer No we would travel the same."

or

"Only for more casual travelers I would imagine though as I can't see too many posher dresses and high shoes that we at CC love wearing all fitting in a small case."

Most folks were just sharing ideas and tips on packing light. Perhaps I am wrong and I missed something?

I wasn't offended by your posts, but try to look at it this way. The title of the thread is "Cruising with only a carry on". I don't remember reading any posts on the thread that belittle people who enjoy packing voluminously -- so I am not quite sure why there was a need for anyone to post in defense of it or to start making digs such as

"the one question I would ask the light packers is, if there was no plane journey involved would you just take minimal outfits? I already know the answer No we would travel the same."

or

"Only for more casual travelers I would imagine though as I can't see too many posher dresses and high shoes that we at CC love wearing all fitting in a small case."

Most folks were just sharing ideas and tips on packing light. Perhaps I am wrong and I missed something?

I didn't say any of those things! I'm outta here because when people start picking apart each other's posts it stops being fun and is off topic. I stand by what I said...I respect everyone's opinions but I'm not going to get involved in picking apart each other's posts.

It honestly wasn't meant as a dig, that's why the smilies were in there. However if you are going to quote me, please quote it verbatim as it changes it completely. This is what I actually wrote below and I am sure you can see it is much more tongue in cheek.

It is absolutely horses for courses but the one question I would ask the light packers is, if there was no plane journey involved would you just take minimal outfits?:D I already know the answer ;). No we would travel the same.

OK I am out too, life is too short.

It honestly wasn't meant as a dig, that's why the smilies were in there. However if you are going to quote me, please quote it verbatim as it changes it completely. This is what I actually wrote and I am sure you can see it is much more tongue in cheek.

It is absolutely horses for courses but the one question I would ask the light packers is, if there was no plane journey involved would you just take minimal outfits?:D I already know the answer ;). No we would travel the same.

I did a cut and paste. Apparently CC does not allow you to carry over emoticons....

That said, an odious comment uttered with a smile does not negate the content of the comment.

Nevermind, I too am out. What started as a fun thread for those who like to pack light has now been unfortunately disrupted.

Edited by cruisemom42

Aww...so sad the things that happen on message forums sometimes...the faceless world of the internet...

I'm still in. I like this topic. I'm all over the simplicity of the idea that started this thread.

I was recently ill-ish...and I needed to rest and just take care of myself...and so I caught up on the current season of Downton Abbey. Without any fear of spoilers...there was a seconds long screen shot of one of the household members packing their suitcase. Just about everything had a protective muslin type bag...the shoes, etc. And as this person was packing...the bags, etc. didn't fit well into the suitcase...I thought, what a mess.

And at the same time, I thought, how fabulous it would be if there was a kind of Bento box for suitcases. This is the principle of packing that we take for backpacking. Or packing the car for car camping. Or packing for moving (UGH!!). I finally understood the idea behind those various products that are sold to help pack and organize your stuff in the suitcase.

Granted...I've done this already. But not to the extent of a Bento box. Where things are CUSTOM for the suitcase that I use.

It reminds me of my DH's lunch kit. There was a time when he had to commute 60 miles to and from work...that is...120 round trip. And we determined that he needed to pack a lot of food with him for such a day. He was waking up so early...he really needed that midmorning snack...he was getting home so late...he really needed that late afternoon snack. So we purchased a soft-sided 12-can cooler that he liked and hit the Container Store to purchase containers that would fit perfectly in his "lunch kit." It just made packing his snacks and lunch so much easier. And the beauty of the system was that you knew you had finished the job when all the container were full and used.

How fun it would be to have a similar system for your suitcase. All nice and custom fitted for the suitcase that you use.

Maybe others have that. I haven't vacationed enough to have to deal with such things often enough to have a system. It makes me think that it would be worth while to establish such a thing though. The comment the OP made about her jewelry box though...it takes up the same amount of space no matter what is packed within...I would think it would be advantageous to have things that were expandable...and conversely, compressible...for various necessities.