Cell phones on ships

bigguy6

Apparently since the last time we cruised 2 years ago Princess has added the ability to use your cell phone on board the ship. First of all is this true and secondly how much do they charge?

You can use your cell phone on the ship. Cost is $2.50 per minute

I thought that YOUR cell carrier set the rate when service is accessed via "Cellular at Sea" so if I am correct I would certainly check with them first before hoping the rate is what someone else says it will be. I believe the charges land on your regular cell bill so Your carrier would be the first ones to ask.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Verizon is our carrier. I added their $3.99 global fee to our account for our Panama Canal partial transit, then I deleted it as soon as we returned home. Their cost was $2.49 per minute for calls; fifty cents per text sent, and 5 cents per text received. We shut off our data so we would not receive the super expensive data costs. At each port we received a text advising us the cost of using our cell phones while at that port.

Don't overlook the free e-cards from the Princess web-site while on the ship. You can send those without signing up for internet usage.

If you do decide to use your cell to make calls on board, please remember that many people tend to raise their voices while talking on their phones, and that most every one else don't want to hear your side of the conversation. Please, please, please.

The Global Fee reduces the price per minute for phone charges by about 10 cents. Its different for each port but easy to get the exact info for your ports on line before you travel. To me, you have to talk quite a bit to recoup the $3.99.

Edited by kylea_s

You might want to look into T-Mobile's international plan, I've been able to access the internet from my iPhone in port and on land on my last two cruises (though some countries are not a part of it). No charge for (rather slow) data, calls to the US free and within the country you are in .20 per minute.