Church service on board during Holy Week?

Hi,

We are taking our very first cruise ever this coming April and can't wait! We will be on RCI Freedom of the Seas and will be sailing during the week leading up to Easter. We actually get off the boat on Easter Sunday. Will there be services to celebrate Good Friday and Easter on the ship? Thanks!

Hi,

We are taking our very first cruise ever this coming April and can't wait! We will be on RCI Freedom of the Seas and will be sailing during the week leading up to Easter. We actually get off the boat on Easter Sunday. Will there be services to celebrate Good Friday and Easter on the ship? Thanks!

There is often, but not always a Catholic Priest onboard to celebrate Mass. A few years ago the one onboard sat at our table. I would guess that there would probably be one aboard for Easter. Even if there is, it is doubtful they would do anything on disembarkation day.

For Protestants, it is less likely. What I have seen is usually passenger led events.

During the High Holy days I also know that many ships bring on Rabbis or Cantors to lead services there.

Good point, I can't imagine they would do anything like that the morning everyone is getting off the ship.

Agreed. There are lots of churches in Miami; if a family wanted to observe Easter services they could aim to get off earlier in the disembarkation and be on time for most any service there.

If the ship doesn't have any services scheduled, if you're in port try to attend a local service. Ask a local taxi driver to take you. We've done it twice - once on Ash Wednesday in Nassau and once in Barbados on Palm Sunday. It's really amazing to be with all the local island people in their place of worship. I will warn you to not dress too casually. The church in Barbados was absolutely packed, no air conditioning - just open shutters on the windows - birds flying in and out throughout the service. I wore a dress, my husband wore shorts and a button up shirt - and was the ONLY man in attendance without long pants. Not only did we stand out as one of the very few white folks, but his legs really stood out when we went up to the alter to receive communion. Most of the women had stocking on their legs and hats on their heads - very traditional.

I would guess on Easter Sunday, you could attend in Miami somewhere.

Just got off the Navigator yesterday. They had two Mass Services and one Non-denominational service while we were on board. AND it was not even Holy Week, so I bet they do.

We have began a cruise on Easter Sunday before, but I don't remember the services available then. It was many cruises back.

Several years ago we were aboard a ship on Easter Sunday (the first sea day), and a non-denominational sunrise service was held on deck. As I recall, it was led by the Assistant Cruise Director. Watching the sun appear over the ocean, surrounded by people of many different nationalities and faiths, was one of the most inspiring services I've ever attended.

Just thought of something else...worship services are often labeled "social gatherings" by the cruiselines and therefore are not advertised in the daily Compass. So be sure to check the bulletin board by Guest Relations for information about time & place.

Hi,

since debarkation is easter then no. in fact I would highly doubt that there woudl be any services for the next batch who boards that day.

Just got off the Navigator yesterday. They had two Mass Services and one Non-denominational service while we were on board. AND it was not even Holy Week, so I bet they do.

We have began a cruise on Easter Sunday before, but I don't remember the services available then. It was many cruises back.

bet that was because a passenger or retired clergy member was on board and offered to do so. not because the cruise line arranged it

We were on the Jewel at Easter in 2012 (on a Thurs-Mon cruise). They had Good Friday and Easter Sunday service. They also had Passover service.

I know this may not always be the case, but we thought it was very nice that they had all the services.

Of course, the Easter Bunny was also very busy that day - he was all over the ship. And they had a huge candy give away in the buffet that morning.