Poll: What's important to you on a river cruise?

editor@cruisecritic

Which of these are most important to you for your river cruises?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these are most important to you for your river cruises?

• Complimentary shore excursions
    • Bicycles onboard
    • Private balconies
    • Alternative dining options
    • Nightlife
    • Spa and gym
    • Lectures and enrichment
    • Inclusive liquor (beyond free wine and beer with dinner)
    • Onboard concierge to book personal requests
    • Pool
    • Well-stocked library
    • Room service menu
    • Alfresco dining
    • Other (please post below)

I may only have traveled with Scenic but I know fellow passengers have at times asked for a table for two for something special and have been accommodated. So why not try asking there can only be one of two answers and as most companies seem to be falling over themselves to outdo each other I should think most would be only to pleased to help. You could of course try a bit of subterfuge i.e. I have the snuffles and don't want to infect everyone else. Although none of us would do that would we?

On another tack our cruise director last year was married to the captain of an Arosa boat and we moored side by side or 'breasted up' as we say on the English canals nice looking boat but you can imagine the teasing she got from her passengers.

By the way is anyone going Paris to Honfluer with Scenic 18/07/2014?

Itinerary

Stateroom windows (don't need a balcony)

Dining room, high standards

Quality staff and service

Ease of traveling (they take care of everything)

Included airport transfers to/from ship

Great guides for the excursions

Small groups, limited size of ships

Agree, although I would add windows that open

We're planning our first river cruise for 2015 after having enjoyed 20+ cruises on small and large ocean ships. We want to cruise in Myanmar and itinerary is our number one priority. Of course, pricing is a factor and I am learning that at least on these cruises, figuring in the value of amenities or lack of them makes the bottom lines quite close in cost. I am looking so forward to the adventure of being on a smaller boat with the access it will allow.

All inclusive drinks are nice, but adding premium liquors to the list of wine and beer is not important to us...we don't drink much and feel we only subsidize others. I always read reviews about poor quality coffee and think this is something just about every cruise line should address.

It's important to me to not spend a lot of time on a bus transfer to the cruise or at the end of the cruise to a town for air connections. I have read about a couple of cruises in Myanmar that include a 6-7 hour bus ride at the end of the cruise. This came as a surprise to passengers.

I've arranged quite a few private tours for fellow cruisers and look forward to tours being inclusive. My only concern is knowing that a tour only moves as quickly as the slowest participant which can be a negative aspect.

And a comfortable bed for a good night's sleep is great!

The most important thing to me is retaining the ability to get out and cruise!!

~~Judy

Judy, which line did you wind up choosing? And I hope you'll write a review about your trip when you get back :)

Carolyn

We're planning our first river cruise for 2015 after having enjoyed 20+ cruises on small and large ocean ships. We want to cruise in Myanmar and itinerary is our number one priority. Of course, pricing is a factor and I am learning that at least on these cruises, figuring in the value of amenities or lack of them makes the bottom lines quite close in cost. I am looking so forward to the adventure of being on a smaller boat with the access it will allow.

All inclusive drinks are nice, but adding premium liquors to the list of wine and beer is not important to us...we don't drink much and feel we only subsidize others. I always read reviews about poor quality coffee and think this is something just about every cruise line should address.

It's important to me to not spend a lot of time on a bus transfer to the cruise or at the end of the cruise to a town for air connections. I have read about a couple of cruises in Myanmar that include a 6-7 hour bus ride at the end of the cruise. This came as a surprise to passengers.

I've arranged quite a few private tours for fellow cruisers and look forward to tours being inclusive. My only concern is knowing that a tour only moves as quickly as the slowest participant which can be a negative aspect.

And a comfortable bed for a good night's sleep is great!

The most important thing to me is retaining the ability to get out and cruise!!

~~Judy

Judy, which line did you wind up choosing? And I hope you'll write a review about your trip when you get back :)

Carolyn

My research continues, but I am leaning towards Viking's Memories of Mandalay because of itinerary and the trip ending in Bangkok where I can easily plan some post-cruise days...my love for the beauty, culture, and people of Thailand keeps drawing us back!

I will definitely write a review of our cruise as I find reading those that others have written so beneficial in planning a cruise.

~~Judy

One thing came to me recently. Does the program director ( or whatever term the particular line uses) contact cruisers before the trip? If so, is it everyone, or just select (frequent cruisers, suite, or concierge class) pax?

I have a few things I want to do on my own, rather than joining one of the organized tours, on our upcoming cruise. The PD has been helpful to me by determining whether we are expected to have adequate time and doing some research so she can provide directions when the time comes.

This is GCT for Inner Circle members.

I ticked "other" for 2 things: - the itinerary offered is obviously a huge driver of our choice and having open seating dining was a factor.

I haven't considered the River Cruise lines that offer "open" bar outside of wine and beer, because we aren't big drinkers and prefer not to subsidize the bar bills of others.

One thing came to me recently. Does the program director ( or whatever term the particular line uses) contact cruisers before the trip? If so, is it everyone, or just select (frequent cruisers, suite, or concierge class) pax?

I have a few things I want to do on my own, rather than joining one of the organized tours, on our upcoming cruise. The PD has been helpful to me by determining whether we are expected to have adequate time and doing some research so she can provide directions when the time comes.

This is GCT for Inner Circle members.

We have had emails from the PD on the last three or four Grand Circle tours. I think it is a real nice touch to hear from them, have a name before hand and get their telephone numbers. We had to contact our PD from CDG airport because we missed our connecting flight when flying to Hamburg. The PD had a private person meet us at the airport to take us to the hotel because of our phone call.

We've never seen the drinks packages on the riverboats as a good value for a couple of reasons. One is that most of them already offer complimentary wine and beer at dinner. Two is that you really aren't on the ships all that much -- days are so busy. And three: I have yet to cruise on a river where there's was much of a nightlife.

Carolyn

I ticked "other" for 2 things: - the itinerary offered is obviously a huge driver of our choice and having open seating dining was a factor.

I haven't considered the River Cruise lines that offer "open" bar outside of wine and beer, because we aren't big drinkers and prefer not to subsidize the bar bills of others.

No nightlife because the drinks were not free, LOL. All seriousness aside, I agree with you on purchasing a drink package but if it is included in the overall package ala Uniworld and Tauck this year, I like the idea. I myself usually will purchase at least one cocktail during the happy hour but with the cost being quite high, I usually try to limit it to one. On my Avalon cruise last year, most days they had 2 for the price of one and I had no problem finishing off the two cocktails so I am looking forward to my Tauck cruise this October. I might even go for three, and who cares what's for dinner, LOL.