Upgrade offer?

I am aware from time to time (perhaps not every time) prior to departure, the cruise line will contact people with reservations and offer a stateroom upgrade for a nominal fee. My questions are, at what point do they make these offers - a month prior or just a couple of weeks before sailing? Does it also work if I contact the cruise line and request an upgrade? I understand it would be a function of whether the cruise is sold out or not as to whether they make this offer or not. I just wasn't sure if it's something I need to wait for them to initiate, or if it's possible for me to make the request myself. Thanks for your insights.

I am aware from time to time (perhaps not every time) prior to departure, the cruise line will contact people with reservations and offer a stateroom upgrade for a nominal fee. My questions are, at what point do they make these offers - a month prior or just a couple of weeks before sailing? Does it also work if I contact the cruise line and request an upgrade? I understand it would be a function of whether the cruise is sold out or not as to whether they make this offer or not. I just wasn't sure if it's something I need to wait for them to initiate, or if it's possible for me to make the request myself. Thanks for your insights.

Royal Caribbean rarely if ever contacts you for an upgrade. Carnival does that. You can upgrade yourself at any time. You just pay the going rate and pay the difference

From reading accounts of people who come to CC after receiving such offers, the timing seems to be between a month and 2 weeks, but I believe it will depend somewhat on the mix of passengers and remaining cabins. The costs seem to be more than nominal, but much less than the going price difference for the new, upgraded cabin. I have not heard of anyone having much luck calling and asking for the reduced-price upsell upgrade; rather, they are quoted the going rate. However, it never hurts to try when you are a month or less away from sailing.

Not to disagree... but often RCI does contact regarding available upgrade offers... I've always booked through the cruise line and not a TA... so if you have a TA you might ask your TA. I am Diamond Plus and do not know if that matters... but we have been contacted about a 'purchased' upgrade and we have received complimentary upgrades, usually within a week of sailing. I've never called to ask for either. Good luck to you!

From reading accounts of people who come to CC after receiving such offers, the timing seems to be between a month and 2 weeks, but I believe it will depend somewhat on the mix of passengers and remaining cabins. The costs seem to be more than nominal, but much less than the going price difference for the new, upgraded cabin. I have not heard of anyone having much luck calling and asking for the reduced-price upsell upgrade; rather, they are quoted the going rate. However, it never hurts to try when you are a month or less away from sailing.

That's about when our 'upsell' fairy called. Probably closer to two weeks. It was for a Crown Loft Suite from a Grand Suite on Allure for $600 total. It could have been a good deal but we didn't bite.

on our first ever cruise in 2011 on enchantment, we were upgraded from ocean view to a balcony with NO extra charge. it also occurred just 5 days before sailing. we were not any level as I said, our first ever cruise with any line. (bad thing cause now I want a balcony, THANK YOU, kids free!)

I had several upsell offers on Hal normaly about 10 days before cruise, had upgrade to suite of my only Celeberity cruise, hoping for a upsell of upgarde on my mini-suite on my cruise in 7 weeks, but will be happy with the mini-suite.

Upgrades are not guaranteed. What I tell people is to book the highest category of room you can afford at the time and if you see the cost of the next category go down after final payment then call your Travel Agent and have them book you into the next category.

If its before final payment and the rate of your room goes down you can take the price difference and use it towards the cost of your upgrade.

All in all if you want to be guaranteed a junior suite then book it at the time of booking if the price is right.

I have only been offered an upsell once. It was for the Oasis. I only recall other reports of upsell calls being on the Oasis or Allure.

Other upgrades were visits from the Upgrade Fairy. Those are the complimentary ones. I like those. :D

It does matter. D+ and P are offered FIRST.

I think status does matter for the free upgrades provided by C&A. However, I think the upsell style of upgrades offered by the Revenue department depend more on the need for a particular type of cabin or some other sort of revenue maximization algorithm, rather than loyalty status.

I want to go on a repositioning cruise but my husband and college aged-daughter are unemployed and I'm cancer free and want to LIVE.

I saw on a private site that the cruise I want to go on (ABC) is also a repositioning. Please pinch me now. The price listed as "starting at" $899.99 for a balcony room.

I had to contact them via email and they said because they messed up and listed it as only a 7 day cruise (instead of a 14 day) that the price was actually double.

Since it was their mistake, and hasn't been corrected yet on their site, shouldn't they have to hold to this price?????

Anyone have experience with this. I'm not comfortable including the site name here but if someone really knows if I can get this deal maybe we could find a more private way to communicate.

Please, anyone, these have been the hardest 3 years of my life and I need this trip.

Royal Caribbean rarely if ever contacts you for an upgrade. Carnival does that. You can upgrade yourself at any time. You just pay the going rate and pay the difference

I can't agree with this. I get calls before every cruise over the last couple of years. However it does matter your status for sure. I never received a single call when I was Gold, Plat.,or Emerald.

Edit: For reference only one cruise was on Allure. The others were Jewel, Adventure, and Freedom.

Edited by chadbeck