.......idle jottings

ho-hum

We know how tired SeaDreaming can make a person!:cool:

How right you are. It makes Ho-Hum's feats of longevity aboard even more impressive. He must have the constitution of an ox to be able to stay on board week after week. Kind of makes you feel sorry for him, doesn't it?:eek::D

How right you are. It makes Ho-Hum's feats of longevity aboard even more impressive. He must have the constitution of an ox to be able to stay on board week after week. Kind of makes you feel sorry for him, doesn't it?:eek::D

Agreed Jim!

Can't imagine the hardship that ho-hum has to endure! Thank goodness for Blondie!:cool:

The Cinque Terre boat trip from SD was one of the best excursions ever. Are you taking Gantt with you??:eek:

Our group is going. Although I shared a moment with Gantt tonight, I neglected to ask if he was joining us. I'll find out @ 8:45 AM sharp tomorrow and report back.

Our group is going. Although I shared a moment with Gantt tonight, I neglected to ask if he was joining us. I'll find out @ 8:45 AM sharp tomorrow and report back.

Meeting up with Charlie and his lady has been just the best.

A most charming, insightful and funny chap whom ho hum could listen to infinitely.

Today we were fortunate to have dinner with him and his friends and prior to that we hung out at the "Office" setting the world right.

Yesterday we were in charming Portoferraio, Elba, Italy.

Yes the isle Napoleon was exiled to in 1814.

One thing ho hum didnt know, gleaned from SD's blurb was that Napoleon started working as governor and began building roads.

A great example of how day release works !

To-day we are sailing to, even more charming, Portovenere, from where Charlie and Charlie's chums are visiting the"Cinque Terre"; he confides this is one of a few tours, he has ever been on during his long association with SD.

And as Jim says; this must be one of the best tours in the whole SD catalogue.

Great choice. Have a fantastic day Charlie.

Ho hum and blondie are less inclined to exertion and anyhoooo we need to replenish our stores of pesto and pasta bought from one particular lady (and her wonderful) husband at a shop to the left hand side of the former guarded entrance to the old town.

Ho hum will try again to find the illusive linen shirt shop espoused by Abenaki before he "washes his hands" of the useless ho hum.

It is the start of another beautiful day in the Mediterranean onboard SD. Ho hum's fellow passengers are distinctly different to those sailing last week but as equally a nice bunch of folks you could hope to meet.

A few photos attached of the elegant "Le Ponant" line vessel sailing in and moored behind SD (it's name ? Did'nt quite catch it, short two word Polynesian name like Mona Taut !!!).

If Charlie is a little light on his offerings, please understand he spends a lot of time at the"Office" in between long meals three times a day. Give him a break guys.

image.jpg.e4466d8fd7802e371639f90dd4447ae4.jpg

Dearest Ho Hum

Forget Blondie! She has enough handbags already, and you will only have to carry it anyway. Instead, when you get to Portovenere, there is a small shop on the left, up past the fishermen, where you can get yourself some new linen shirts for the rest of the voyage. They are bound to have a subtle striped linen very much to your taste. You can't miss it.

Blondie will approve and I should think that the other passengers will be nothing less than thrilled. Just toss the old ones overboard. The shirts, not the passengers.... No point carrying the old ones back to England. They won't exactly set sales at the Charity Shop on fire now, will they.

And so began ho hum's latest post:

With Abenaki's former instructions echoing in his ear:

"........you get to Portovenere, there is a small shop on the left, up past the fishermen, where you can get yourself some new linen shirts for the rest of the voyage. They are bound to have a subtle striped linen very much to your taste. You can't miss it."

Well, Take 2, ACTION !

Ho hum is in a quandary as he wanders falteringly from disembarkation.

"Small shop"......they are all small shops !!!! No JC Penney's here !

"Past the fishermen".....are they recognisable as such ? Are they sitting, sewing their nets, singing shanty songs, dressed in sou-westers with parrots on their shoulders ?

"On the left".....of what ? Ho hum assumes Abenaki means from embarkation and will also include the former guarded entrance to the old town.

"You can't miss it"......it is highly likely old chap that ho hum will.

Well ho hum will try again.

Anything to save ho hum from further cruel admonishments by Abenaki that cut to the quick.

And now the post can re-commence.

Ho hum and blondie re-visited Portovenere after last visiting in July this year.

As you recall, ho hum did not find this illusive linen shirt establishment advised by Abenaki who in turn last visited this emporium in 1982 when he nostalgically retraced his steps some 12 years after his "hippy trail" years involving sitting at the feet of various gurus (Maharaji, Sai Baba, Krishnamurti and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, and all, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all).

And the sojourn into the town began as it did before.

Disembarking, the two walked straight down the short quay looking left but seeing no fishermen's boats or shops either. Walking ahead to the end they veered right up to a crossroads and turned left along market stalls for locals predominantly to a piazza, then left again to the formerly gated entrance into a narrow street of occasional shops.

Prior to this entrance is a small shop on the right hand side which displays their wares out into the streets with a formidable array of foods all of which are designed to accompany the "holy of holies": their fantastic pesto extraordinaire !

More later.

The leisurely stroll along the narrow streets of this medieval section of the town terminates in a large open area with sea views to the left and a high stone wall to the right behind which is a grotto whose fame was increased when Lord Byron swam from Portovenere to Lerici (an island he actually lived on).

Like many famous men (and a few women) of his day there seem no persons to-day with whom to compare. To-day "we" idolise Justin Bieber, Britney Spiers, Snoop Doggy Dog Poo and the like.

No, Byron was a virile, educated, charming, well dressed, mannered young chap eager to engage in the great artistic periods which Italy formerly displayed in abundance (no lads weekend for him in Magaluth or the crass sensual divertisement of a candy coated Disney Land).

And so on along the wide pedestrian way which gently rises to some steps, at the top of which is the Chiesa di San Pietro. A modest sized stone church with brick arched ceilings built in 1277 but where a former 6th century chapel once stood and which is still evident to-day. And yet going further back into antiquity, this site served as a temple to Venus (hence Venere).

No wonder Byron, Abenaki and the like were drawn to these places.

They speak to the soul.

Later the fashion in Catholic Italy was to build disgusting Baroque churches; crystallised gelatos, all gaudy and ostentatious adorned with superficial spiritual "bling" to impress the ignorant masses.

Yuk ! Tear them all down ! Return them to pagan times when man still had soul.

Well ho hum and blondie return along the open pedestrian area and turn down the side steps which have hoards of German tourists stomping up in the opposite direction; we think they are from a small Paul Gaugin, 90 passenger ship that is the direct competition to Sea Dream having departed Polynesian waters to "feed" in the lucrative European waters: more on that later.

And ambling back along the quay foregoing a stop off at the wonderful bar and restaurant at the very end of the quay where on a former visit we had sipped double Campari and sodas with ice and a slice (of orange) accompanied with the most delicious variety of local olives and hand cut chips.

We continue back to the quay passing an assortment of restaurants each offering identical fare and then it is seen..........a clothes shop !

Firstly a display of ladies linen apparel, so we enter the canopied, side protected enclosure and there in a corner is a display of linen men's shirts in all single coloured and.......dah da dah....coloured striped shirts !!!!!

Abenaki was right !!!!

And so the trying on of the limited variety of shirts begins. Why limited ?

The sizes are for the younger man who have not yet sampled so engagingly the wines and foods of their wonderful country as ho hum has.

Or to put it less eloquently, ho hum is an XXL !

There you have it.

Satisfied now ?

Well 2 striped and one plain white shirt are purloined.

The beautiful, dark haired lady proprietor is jabbering away and gesticulating wildly when ho hum enquires how old the establishment is; to verify whether this is the self same shop Abenaki recommended.

She instructs us to wait in the shop and runs out of the shop returning with a nice man from the establishment next door who speaks English somewhat better than the lady.

We determine that the shop was first opened by her mother in 1966 and sold not so dis-similar ware as it does to-day.

This must be the same shop !!!

Record of the shop, our discovery and meeting the owner is recorded in a photo attached at the end of this post (well hopefully it is).

The shirts are wonderful and of great quality which the purchase price re-assuringly confirms.

The Portovenere adventure continues but may be reported another day, ho hum has kept you away from whatever you were supposed to be doing, for far too long.

So chou for now.

Oh just one more thing, ho hum and blondie leave the shop and stroll back to the quay when a fishing boat arrives and moors quickly followed by crates of fresh fish being off-loaded and which are whisked into the restaurant opposite outside of which is a free standing display of a bearded fisherman in a yellow sou-wester holding a fish by it's tail as if he is offering it to you,

Spot on Abenaki.

Mea culpe, mea culpe, mea maxima culpe.

image.jpg.f9e16a6a1fef5acc5b706adba40401f6.jpg

All is well on SD2. I'll quickly recount our experience so far. We arrived at the port around 2 PM, checked in, etc. Headed over to SD1 for a visit with Capt. Smorawski, Christophe and Silvio who were headed to Athens this week. All looked good and we had a nice visit.

SD2 crew great as usual with many familiar faces. First port Sunday was Portoferraio. We had been there before so didn't feel compelled to explore too much. Went ashore, wandered around and headed back to the ship for lunch. Dinner with ho-hum, Blondie and others was excellent both for the food and company. A good time had by all. Disco followed at the TOYB. We did not.

Monday was Portovenere (Cinque Terre). We took the tour which, as ho-hum indicated was a rare occurrence for us. Glad we did it but I was wondering whether we should have done it on our own. Caught up with Gantt at cocktails who reported that he had visited all 5 towns on his own by public transport (9 hours total, SRO on trains, etc.) so at that point I was very pleased not to have done that. Some of us did a bit of shopping and I'm told that we'll be returning home with olive oil and pesto. No shirts for us though....

Dinner on Deck 4 was another lovely experience. A couple of us visited the bridge as we were leaving (around 10:30 PM) and had a nice visit with Capt. Steiner.

We are anchored in Portofino this morning and a few of us are headed into town to wander around and then head to the Splendido for lunch. We're looking forward to that and I hope that my credit card is up to the task. We did the olive oil tasting at the Splendido long ago and that is offered as an excursion today. There is a group going from the ship and I'll look forward to hearing their report.

Tonight is the chef's degustation dinner in the Main Dining Room. I think that we'll dine inside tonight so that our friends (first time SeaDreamers) can have that experience. Oh, did I mention that we have first SD'ers on board with us? Never sure if people are enjoying themselves but we're thinking that the fact that having boarded on Saturday and booked their next cruise on Monday is a sign that they're enjoying the experience. Or perhaps, it just the company....

All for now. Off to the Splendido.

Great that you were able to find Ye Olde Shirt Shoppe visited by Abenaki on one of his

medicinally aided forays so many years ago. He may actually have one or two of his

purchases still in the closet (everything else in there is OUT)!

Your old pal Leonard Cohen of Hydra and Montreal (just celebrated his 80th on Sunday)

has just released his newest studio album ... number 13. Yes, more on sex and mortality

in that deep rumble of a voice so endearing to many. Come to think of it, my latest

CD ... number 1, will also dwell on sex and mortality, though doubt it will hit Platinum.

When to you get to Venice? Hope you will visit our restaurant recommendations, as I don't think you will be disappointed. In the meantime, enjoy and we'll see you in 33 days.

Love to Blondie along with Christophe and Garret.

Great that you were able to find Ye Olde Shirt Shoppe visited by Abenaki on one of his

medicinally aided forays so many years ago. He may actually have one or two of his

Your old pal Leonard Cohen of Hydra and Montreal (just celebrated his 80th on Sunday)

has just released his newest studio album ... number 13. Yes, more on sex and mortality

in that deep rumble of a voice so endearing to many. Come to think of it, my latest

CD ... number 1, will also dwell on sex and mortality, though doubt it will hit Platinum.

When to you get to Venice? Hope you will visit our restaurant recommendations, as I don't think you will be disappointed. In the meantime, enjoy and we'll see you in 33 days.

Commander and Mr. Hum on the same ship again. Should make for some interesting reports.:eek::D

Ho hum

Golf !

Haha

What a kind lady you are to your very lucky husband.

Any exciting trips planned ?

.........yes Sir I do. Another surprise trip organised for his next milestone early next year. I just tell him the dates and only once we get settled into the airport lounge do I reveal the itinerary, location etc over a glass of bubbly or six!!

Booked first class Emirates suites for this trip. Cracker deal too.

P.S. We missed meeting in Portovenere by a few weeks. I was there a few weeks ago!!!

P.P.S. To be fair regarding my post on the Reading match, I did post it BEFORE kick off so wouldn't have known the score at that stage.

I just meant sitting on a cruise ship drinking wine in 35 degree heat beats sitting in a stadium in Reading any day. Anyway a better result tonight.

Could be worse you could be an MU supporter.!!!

Happy cruising!!

1385028_10151885048173046_1889122306_n.jpg

......is this some kinda code....rubber duck.....10-4.,.....the eagle has landed....my aunt in eastbourne is partial to sardines......or you could just clarify the matter Jim for those not possessing a Masters Degree in Mathematics ...... Maybe you just pressed the wrong button......if you will buy a cheaper brand of tequila, what do you expect.

......is this some kinda code....rubber duck.....10-4.,.....the eagle has landed....my aunt in eastbourne is partial to sardines......or you could just clarify the matter Jim for those not possessing a Masters Degree in Mathematics ...... Maybe you just pressed the wrong button......if you will buy a cheaper brand of tequila, what do you expect.

It is another of my feeble attempts to attach photographs. I have yet to achieve the lofty accomplishments in that field as yourself. I would be happy if it had attached upside down or, as we say out West, the Ho-Hum way.:eek: 10-4 Good Buddy!

Edited by Jim Avery

The previous post was a little excessive n'est pas ?

Sorry for that.

But before leaving the topic of the most beautiful port of Portovenere, ho hum just had to tell you of this amazing lady (Paola) and her dutiful husband (Fabio).

She runs a shop (La Cambusa) selling.......well she sells everything food related....that centres around her famous pesto !

Her pesto is greener, fresher and just sheer more basil-y than anyone else's.

What type of cheese does she use ? Parmiggiano, Pecorino, or a blend of the two ? Or is there a third ? Sado perhaps ?

Other ingredients ? Is the oil flavoured, is she using local pine nuts, sea salt, is it kosher sea salt, what the hell is kosher salt ? Does a Rabbi have to ok it ?

These small differences may be minuscule but they are the big difference say between a Puligny-Montrachet villages and a Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru where respective vines maybe grow just metres apart.

Her ware is more expensive but the taste difference is so discernible.

You can use slightly less which thus makes it more economical than the less expensive varieties. A bit like the British TV Fairy Snow (washing-up liquid) advert which some "B" grade actress then shows as washing so many more dishes than the apparent cheaper brand.

Oh the power of advertising.

Their tiny shop spills out into the stone paved street with tables laden with accompanying goods serving, in the main, their glorious pesto.

We know them quite well by now; he refers to ho hum as the "man from the BBC" (which ironically he was on in between visits).

Chef Tomasz buys all the pesto from them too but never manages to obtain a discount unlike blondie who coos and charms Paola who when transactions are completed always gives a small gift of pasta which blondie has picked up, examined, admired and showingly returned to Paola sighing that she has bought too much. OK the pasta costs only €2.60 but it is something.

The pasta which is a speciality of the area and which is shaped purposefully for pesto. It is short shapes about 2" long of flat pasta rolled at their corners so it is fatter in the middle than at the ends. A small spoonful pesto is all that is required to coat the pasta. Top the plate of pasta with a long shaving of cheese and serve with a chilled white Italian wine. Perfecto !

Photo of couple below.

Bumped into a famous SD guest from the US and his chic dressed lady earlier to-day as they sauntered off to lunch at the Hotel Splendido in Portofino, Italy.

Later, the elegantly dressed couple dined at the Captain's table as esteemed guests.

So you see Jim and Jen, some guests time are really filled at celebrity do's.

Their high-end entertaining and hob-nobbing will come crashing down tomorrow night though as they have been set up to have dinner with a truly awful couple who may claim to live in the posh part of the UK but who simply are not in their league.

How the mighty have fallen !

Another famous US SD passenger has been posting on another social media site how much he loves Positano.

Unfortunately we were moored in Portofino !

The error had not diminished his charm and energy in the bar earlier this evening for cocktails.

Still has'nt a clue who ho hum is.........sweet really..........ho hum will keep it this way.

He too also dined at lunch at the Hotel Splendido earlier.....

As did half the ship's passengers seemingly and a spattering of crew.

Nice to get away from the ship and other passengers for a little while.....

Haha

Ho hum and blondie had the vessel to ourselves for lunch....we ate truffie et pesto with chilled Verdicchio !

Well the glorious Portofino, Italy yesterday and Sanary-sur-mer, France to-day.

Ho hum

image.jpg.62fc391ced41f78e18462c5d2ca8086b.jpg

.........yes Sir I do. Another surprise trip organised for his next milestone early next year. I just tell him the dates and only once we get settled into the airport lounge do I reveal the itinerary, location etc over a glass of bubbly or six!!

Booked first class Emirates suites for this trip. Cracker deal too.

P.S. We missed meeting in Portovenere by a few weeks. I was there a few weeks ago!!!

P.P.S. To be fair regarding my post on the Reading match, I did post it BEFORE kick off so wouldn't have known the score at that stage.

I just meant sitting on a cruise ship drinking wine in 35 degree heat beats sitting in a stadium in Reading any day. Anyway a better result tonight.

Could be worse you could be an MU supporter.!!!

Happy cruising!!

Yes ho hum remembers we chatted about Emirates a little while back: it will be fantastic.

Great airport lounge itinerary too, wholly identical to ho hum's and blondie's.

Missed you by a whisker at Portovenere then.

Just kidding you about FFC but now at least we are thro' to the next round without "cheese soaked in alcohol rubbed into injured player's leg" Felix Megath reportedly hustled into the back of a white van by two sturdy male, mental health, hospital nurses !

Ho hum could explain to everyone but if you think shirt and pest reports were excessive then believe ho hum, you ain't seen nothing yet !

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=325974&stc=1&d=1411508378

Flash! Computer spy photo of new SeaDream ship found. Slightly larger than the existing pair but that is the way it goes these days.:eek:

Finally !!!

Oi vay !!

"Your aunt Milly finally arrived" (pssssst code for photo received)

Great job Jim, pour yourself a tequila !

Ho hum is a little concerned about asking this but why ?

It's a drug induced fantasy yeah ?

Great to be able to chat to Abenaki's man servant......Abenaki still "huffy" with ho hum ?

What a man (LC) !

Utterly charming.

Sex and death eh ..... when you strip it all down ..... Surprised you remember about one of them ....... And a long, long way from the other.

Haha

We are not going to Venice sweetie but your restaurant recommendations are a few clicks away after entering a simple passcode (which ho hum has forgotten...will try again in 3 days time).

Yes we are counting the days until the x-ing.

Yes will pass on your best but Christophe is on SDI. Blondie had dinner with Gareth the night before (ho hum indisposed that night).