.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Actually, I HAVE noticed Ho-Hum's shoes, and theyt're gorgeous

Really? are you sure this is the same Ho Hum? Well at least his shirts are sorted now. He has been known to wear drawstring trousers, however.

so much to do, so little time.....

And have you posted a review anywhere of your Christmas cruise to Mexico?

This was it Raggy !

The trip was good. All are at some level. Food was fair to good so absolutely not SeaDream. Totally full at Christmas so service was stretched but the crew tried their best and was very friendly. Nice cabin/veranda, large bath. Enjoyed the stops (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta) with PV being the best. Had a boat excursion to John Huston's Hideaway Las Culetas. It is said John Wayne used to party with him there. I was channeling my inner John Wayne. By the way, open bar and good food was included. Yeee Hawww:eek:

Maybe you can get him to "fill it out a bit"

Two chums in one day have suggested this vessel......we are seriously tempted. It first arose after the SDII x-ing debacle when chums were discussing alternatives to SD.

To borrow a phrase from knotshead "maybe considering cheating on SD" !

Could only do it with chums though. A 5 dayer perhaps.

Have you done it before gcmv ?

Think ho hum will wait for your review first, old friend

Sorry, ho-hum, it's the first time for Herr und Frau gcmv to cruise with Europa 2; but we were once on Columbus 2 (better known as Oceania Insignia) in the Baltic Sea. Hapag Lloyd rented this vessel for a few years - and they did a great job in service and food; so we decided to do it again with them.

Gcmv wanted to add some examples in May 2015 to try out (6, 4 and 2 dayers), but the links do not work:

Perhaps you can do quick look at EUX1510_1 , EUX1510_2 or EUX1511

Ho-hum could do the review first and gcmv could profit of it ... ;)

Edited by gcmv

Sundance, Ho-Hum is right again. That's about it. Over on the HAL board the HAL Lifers, many of whom have never set foot on any other type ship, post "reviews" where everything from how the ship's lines are untied to the way the toilet flushes is just perfect and anyone (like me) who might post a review with negatives or areas needing a bit of improvement are heartily flamed. Anyway, there is so much activity that a review is buried on page 3 or 4 by the next day so what's the point of going into great detail. One of the many things I like about it over here at SD is that there are opposing views on things but, for the most part, the points of view are presented with civility, humo(u)r, and with a detailed reason for disagreeing. But as far as the HAL Christmas Cruise, it was a nice cruise. A bit overloaded with 3 & 4 in some cabins (1,391 total with a posted capacity of 1,350) but the only place it felt crowded, including embarkation and disembarkation, was the pool. The only pool, which we thought odd. Lots of nice bars and HAL understands bars make them money as some opened at 9am for the early risers and all were open most of the time. Plenty of nice places to have a drink. A pretty ship, nice cabin/veranda, food fair to good, service a bit stretched in the MDR due to the load no doubt but passable. Loved the itinerary and drive to nature of San Diego. Would we do it again? Yes. Over Christmas? Probably not. Same route 2 weeks later 1/2 the price and less passenger load. Not SeaDream but, to a person every member of the crew we had contact with was very pleasant and tried to accommodate us. So there, Sundance.

Edited by Jim Avery

A "true gentleman" !

You hear that Butch & Sundance ?

At least there is some respect going on round here.......

We welcome your edifying effect upon this thread Kathy.......heavens above, trying to control Butch & Sundance has been a trial sometimes.

This friend of yours into Zappa ....... is he the one into whisky too ? Separated at birth !!!

Well ho hum is a great Captain Beefheart fan.......the album "Trout Mask Replica" is a favourite.

Whenever we have new people at dinner parties.....our older friends insist ho hum playing it to determine just how much they can stand and to demonstrate that hum is "off his trolley".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RNU8qFD0g&sns=em

Does your chum like the Captain too ? Don van Vliet (AKA the Captain) and Frank Zappa were childhood friends in California......how about that ?

Neil Young ! Brilliant ! "Cortez the Killer"... ho hum's all time favourite NY song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GDIkb5CDUY&sns=em

And what of Leonard Cohen ? Gordon Lightfoot ? Abenaki and the Foot Warmers ? (Big hit in the settlements around....wears colourful shirts, big fuzzy hair, Afro style, cuts a withering mean look now and again).

Ho hum's knowledge of drugs is zero (well almost)......now if we are talking about prescription drugs for ALL his ailments then that is another matter.

A chilled Provencal rose before an al fresco lunch on SD with my gal by my side and the "boys" being cheeky with ho hum in the Caribbean sun, refreshed by a cool breeze and the view over the water and islands.....aaahhhhh, drugs would'nt come close to THAT now could they ?

You intrigue old ho hum Kathy and what of Danny ?

No doubt you are enjoying yourself in St.Lucia.....where are you staying ?

Everybody is adopting avatars......intrigued by what your choice would be.

Ho Hum,

Always glad to hear some folks can apreciate great Canadian music! Grew up listening to my brothers belt out a few songs from Neil young!

Danny!? You ask? The light of my life, my rock and best friend...also very well known for keeping me in check! Haha!... Sweet guy! Loves his crown Royal and Hockey! You will love him! just back from St.Lucia! Like our second home! Mmmm. Love it with all my heart!! We tend to stay at Sandals La Toc near the Capital of Castries. the St.Lucians are warm, lovely people.

Have you been?

No icon! Sorry! I would if I knew how!? LOL I suppose if I did have one it would be a picture of Bob Marley or the house he lived in in 9 mile, JA. I guess that does say a lot doesn't it!? 🙈🙉🙊

5 weeks til our Seadream adventure!!

There is one in that assortment that would be just right for you - Hop Stoopid :p

Ha Ha. I saw that one. Next time you come to Arizona, bring us a case of that. We will take it out in the desert, drink some, then set the bottles up for target practice. Yeee Hawwww!:eek::D

Last night we dined outside (as usual) with two young people of immense character, awareness, politeness, charm and intelligence.

He is the son of a prominent SD personnel and we have known him for 8 years now

He is a young man ho hum admires tremendously and delights in his youthful and intelligent company.

What can ho hum offer in this relationship, only encouragement to go forward in his life, he is so better equipped than ho hum.

His lady is a goddess of beauty, poise and charm with abilities even to fool ho hum that he is a person of worth.

She invited ho hum to dance with her and did not giggle once: quite an achievement. Many have failed seeing ho hum dance !

After a most fantastic dinner which included a potato curry from the Vegan menu and a beetroot ice cream we adjourned to the TOYB for a night cap.

Now earlier during the day, truly dreadful music was being played on a dodgy amplifier through "tinny", crap speakers. But on climbing the stairs to said place of last drinkey-poos something was different.

The music....errr sounded good, nay it was fantastic.

And it was being played at the right level and it was appropriate for the guests present in terms of age of music and place of origin (Texas).

The "joint was jumpin'".

In the God knows how many years ho hum has been coming on SD, this time the sound and musical choice was EXCELLENT !

And who was responsible for this transformation, the Kiwi Hayden (Club Director),

Naturally effusive congratulations were proffered his way as we danced and sang together through the various classic medleys of yesteryear. He actually knew the words too !! Probably they were favourites of his father, nay grandfather even !!

Fantastic job young man. Hell it feels good to congratulate someone on Sea Dream regarding the music !!! After all these years the music has been diabolically bad now they have a fantastic guitarist and a good piano player who can actually sing !

Well done Sea Dream ! Truly ho hum loves to be able to say this. They even played Johnny Cash's "Burning ring of fire" !!

"I went down, down and the flames they got higher, the ring of fire"

Dress tonight was quite good but some good 'ol boys were dressed in ripped jeans and trainers and posturing machismo fashion drinking beer from bottles with dead expressions though their ladies dressed up and looked lovely and were out to have a good time.

Guys its OK to appear smart and smile and be pleasant........promise we wont think your gay !

Is Sea Dream quietly and surely getting its act together.

Ho hum thinks so.......most assuredly.

Another great day on Sea Dream.

And so today we docked in St.Georges, Grenada.....a charming town renowned for spices.

A short walk around the small port then lunch ....... not too active today as ho hum rather over indulged the night before.

To all you foot fetishists out there. Blondie's footwear in photo below.

image.jpg.83d47d1526eec5c4447c9775b5abb31c.jpg

Really, Jim? Such as when all the Schlitz, Falstaff and Schaeffer has been consumed?

By the bye, I'm not sure if all our CC beer aficionados are aware of it but I believe that both SD I and SD II have installed beer taps at the TOY Bar. My understanding is that they are serving Heineken in 7 oz. glasses (not my first choice but certainly progress). I'm wondering if h-h has had the chance yet to test out this new development.

And on another note (and apropos of nothing), I'm also wondering if h-h brought along his (now not so) new shoes purchased in late September in Cannes if I recall correctly? If so, I presume that his fellow passengers are suitably agog over his excellent sense of fashion? Just wondering.

Oh indeedy the Heineken on tap has been installed since October, 2014: the brainchild of Peter Rima.

He also assured ho hum that there would also be a low priced Provencal rose onboard at say no more than $15-20 per bottle. He arranged for a great rose that sells at $46 per bottle !

Ho hum was gravely disappointed until this trip when a pouring rose was purchased when in St.Barts recently.

But as it seems the mood is for beer, ho hum will return to the subject.

The beer is icy cold and flavoursome. A European style. Meaning it tastes of something resembling beer !

Maybe a bit of a novelty for our American brothers raised as they are on a range of "Duff" style liquids.

Ho hum's purchase of Boss shoes in Cannes is well remembered but unfortunately he has not been able to find pants suitable to accompany them !

There was no problem finding shoes in the shop but man sized trousers were not stocked only trouser widths for anorexic, snake hipped, teenagers.

So his old retainers have been pressed back into service.

Ho hum has a loyalty to shoes as a man who owns a dog. They are to be cared for and selected for their trustworthiness. The first 18 months are the trial period then they begin to accept the foot contours of the wearer

Ho hum did purchase a fantastic pair of hand made shoes in Lisbon before the crossing. They were being tried on by Abenaki, the fashion guru of a small settlement in the backwoods of Canada (presently experiencing -23C weather !). Ho hum's advice to Abenaki was they looked great but were they really him ?

As soon as he "kicked them to the kerb" ho hum struck and purchased them under the sucker's nose !

Abenaki then proceeded to purchase a near identical pair but with a "racier" light red tartan cloth surrounding the prominently brown leather.

He admonished ho hum never to wear his shoes when he was wearing his shoes !

Well Abenaki you wear your shoes around your settlement and ho hum will wear his shoes wherever he damn well pleases, good day, sir !

He has barely written a word here since (sad to say but dont tell him that).

image.jpg.63f8aa91ea3cb2af65c3790981930054.jpg

Sorry, ho-hum, it's the first time for Herr und Frau gcmv to cruise with Europa 2; but we were once on Columbus 2 (better known as Oceania Insignia) in the Baltic Sea. Hapag Lloyd rented this vessel for a few years - and they did a great job in service and food; so we decided to do it again with them.

Gcmv wanted to add some examples in May 2015 to try out (6, 4 and 2 dayers), but the links do not work:

Perhaps you can do quick look at EUX1510_1 , EUX1510_2 or EUX1511

Ho-hum could do the review first and gcmv could profit of it ... ;)

Ha !

Nice try my friend.

He is a young man ho hum admires tremendously and delights in his youthful and intelligent company.

His lady is a goddess of beauty, poise and charm with abilities even to fool ho hum that he is a person of worth.

Gosh, for a minute there I thought you were talking about me. However, the absence of a reference to "you lot" tipped me off that 'twas not the case.

Great report. Thanks for the update, h-h.

Gosh, for a minute there I thought you were talking about me. However, the absence of a reference to "you lot" tipped me off that 'twas not the case.

Great report. Thanks for the update, h-h.

You beat me to it Charles. I was thinking the same thing. :eek:

I'm so glad you have Hayden on board! He is delightful! We met him just as he and his lovely fiancée (Michelle?) came to SD. Even though he was brand spanking new, he learned very quickly and seems to have real people skills.

Vandrefalk

Yes, you are absolutely correst. We had dinner with Hayden and Michelle last night, and they are wonderful.

The weather has been just magnificent. We have not yet seen the dining room. Felt sorry for the crew last night, tho. The set up appetizers outdoors, and an outdoor dinner, and then there was a downpour. Everything had to be moved inside, except for a few of us who had tables on the deck four balcony overlooking the pool. Dinner was moved to 8 in order to give them extra time to prepare.

We went on a snorkeling excursion yesterday afternoon. We didn't really snorkel as the swells were too high, but we were taken to a very small deserted island and it was like paradise. We played in the sand and in the shallow water, and the catamaran ride to and from the island was relaxing and pleasant. And Michelle, the tour director, went on the tour with us to see that everything went smoothly, something which is always done on Silversea but not so much on SD in the past. An improvement.

Oh, and I don't think I mentioned previously that the SD pajamas are totally different now. A cotton plaid pant and a long sleeve T shirt similar to before. So those of you who had, like us, been putting others names on the pajamas to be given as gifts might want to have them for yourself on your next voyage. Some of the men are not happy with the sizing tho. The top is an extra large, but DH wears a smaller size and it JUST fits.

I'm finding all kinds of subtle differences between the I and the II and it has become a game with me. The II has more hooks in the bathroom than the I and the shelves in the bathroom are different. And the cabinets over the TV open in the other direction. This is all good. What I don't like is that on the deck 4 balcony overlooking the pool, the II has only tablels and chairs where the I has lounges. I asked if a lounge could be brought upstairs and they looked at me like I was mad! On the I that is the best spot on the yacht!

Ho Hum,

Always glad to hear some folks can apreciate great Canadian music! Grew up listening to my brothers belt out a few songs from Neil young!

Danny!? You ask? The light of my life, my rock and best friend...also very well known for keeping me in check! Haha!... Sweet guy! Loves his crown Royal and Hockey! You will love him! just back from St.Lucia! Like our second home! Mmmm. Love it with all my heart!! We tend to stay at Sandals La Toc near the Capital of Castries. the St.Lucians are warm, lovely people.

Have you been?

No icon! Sorry! I would if I knew how!? LOL I suppose if I did have one it would be a picture of Bob Marley or the house he lived in in 9 mile, JA. I guess that does say a lot doesn't it!? 🙈🙉🙊

5 weeks til our Seadream adventure!!

Great job with the avatar......it looks fantastic.

Yes we have visited St.Lucia a few times.

If you don't mind un-ashamed "name dropping", the last time we were there we popped in to see Colin Tennant (Lord Glenconnor): an amazing individual who got Mustique off the ground.

Interestingly we were in northern India and staying at an amazing hotel run by a talented but eccentric guy who had salvaged historic timber buildings which became residents cottages.

Well one evening there was a lot of fuss going on as they had "special" visitors arriving.

We met them at dinner. It was Lady Glenconnor and a lady friend. We invited them over so we could all have dinner together and share our bottle of Indian red wine: they were delighted.

Well after the third bottle Lady C talks to us about Mustique. Had we ever visited ? Why yes a year ago as it happened (Cotton House). She explained her connection and her husband who left Mustique to live in St.Lucia telling us we must visit him which we duly did.

A great character. The stories are amazing. Well he was on his way to Mustique for lunch with Brian Adams (Canadian singer as you know). He was expecting us, Lady C had told him all about us. He told us to stay at his home and have a look around which we duly did. Outrageous chandeliers hung from the ceiling.

He set up the restaurant "Bang" !

Called so to identify it's location: bang between the pitons !

Stop rambling ho hum.....happy memories tho' and what a man and what a lady.

Well whilst there may be a few, a very few actually that cant give up wearing ripped jeans and trainers to dinner (albeit outside). Here blondie and ho hum "rock up" to dinner with Zimmy and Lady Z (or has ho hum got it the wrong way round).

Ho hum and blondie are wearing outfits designed by Abenaki.

image.jpg.9b97328fa2346b29e06cad424db3c7ce.jpg