UPSET - Pearl Cancels On Me Again Due To Charter!

hpecorari

that's why one should always get trip insurance!

Without it.......well, it's up to you and your airline to try to work something out.

While I agree that yes, trip insurance is a good idea, I think if anyone is stuck like this and did not have trip insurance, NCL should have to reimburse the person for their airfare as well. They made all their plans and would have traveled, as originally booked. It is NCL that reneged on this deal and they should have to foot the bill.

While I agree that yes, trip insurance is a good idea, I think if anyone is stuck like this and did not have trip insurance, NCL should have to reimburse the person for their airfare as well. They made all their plans and would have traveled, as originally booked. It is NCL that reneged on this deal and they should have to foot the bill.

I disagree. Get trip insurance from NCL, TA, or elsewhere.

Airlines also provide insurance just for their air.

However, I'll agree to disagree with you :)

Harriet

Do you think there is a chance they will use another ship for the long 10/11 day crusie. We like the longer ones and look forward to them in Feb ...I think there are going to be alot of upset people that there isnt that option now for 10/11 day cruise !!!

I was on one of the cancelled ones and wanted to book another 10 day cruise in January or February and there are non now the the Pearl has been taken out. The only option is a 7 day. I called NCL just to see if by chance there would be any 10 day's on another ship and they said No. There are ones out of NY, but that is not something we want to do. We want a 10+ day out of Florida. So know on to figuring out plan B.

Edited by jollycruise

I just got the email tonight - I booked for both January and February on the pearl- this is crazy that they say the ship has been chartered for those times- leaves a bad taste

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just wrote an email to CEO - this is no wAy to treat loyal customers trying to plan ahead

I definitely will re- think my preferred cruise line

I know most people never read the fine print but.....

http://www.ncl.com/about/additional-terms-and-conditions#itinerary

ITINERARY CHANGES

In the event of strikes, lockouts, stoppages of labor, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or any other reason whatsoever, NCL has the right to cancel, advance, postpone or substitute any scheduled sailing or itinerary without prior notice. NCL shall not be responsible for failure to adhere to published arrival and departure times for any of its ports of call. NCL may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel for any sailing and cannot be liable for any loss to passengers by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement or substitution. Reservations are subject to change or cancellation in the event of a full-ship charter, and in such event, NCL shall refund all passage moneys paid by the passenger.

Harriet

We have had 30 plus cruises on NCL and booked a back to back for January and February 22 days on the Pearl. I have never heard of such unethical practices letting soooo many cruisers book knowing they were making other plans.

It has completely screwed up my schedule for vacation and I am more than angry. I am rethinking my cruise line of choice after many years. The CEO of NCL should take a look at the number of cruisers who are being affected by the "business decisions".

It is unbelievable that it was allowed to happen to many of us who have booked so long ago.

OK Kevin Sheehan...What are you going to do about this? Work behind the lines undercover and have it happen to you.

Just wrote an email to CEO - this is no wAy to treat loyal customers trying to plan ahead

I definitely will re- think my preferred cruise line

I'm sending Kevin O'Sheehan, NCL's CEO, a letter today. Basically, I'm saying that since the 10-day Eastern and 11-day Southern routes are unique, they should be done on ships that DON'T get chartered!

Kevin's address is: NCL, 7665 Corporate Center Drive, Miami, Florida 33126

I've read that the Jade and Spirit might be moving from the Med back to the US. Either one would be fine for me on these routes, or let the Sun do them again.

We've booked a trip to Hawaii on Princess to replace our cancelled cruise.

My husband and I, along with my sister and her husband, had the February 2, 2015 cruise planned. We like to get away from the cold and enjoy a nice long cruise. Now that NCL has canceled the 10/11 day cruises for January and February there is no other option. They gave us the option to move to the March cruises but we wanted February. March you are having to deal with spring breakers, don't want to do that. So our only option is to go with Royal Caribbean because they have the 10/11 day cruises in February!

I don't understand why NCL doesn't use one of the ships that does a seven day cruise. If someone has to change their seven day cruise there are options out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, Houston, Tampa, and New Orleans. There are no options for the 10/11 day cruises.

Frustrating!!!

I know most people never read the fine print but.....

www.ncl.com/about/additional-terms-and-conditions#itinerary

ITINERARY CHANGES

In the event of strikes, lockouts, stoppages of labor, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or any other reason whatsoever, NCL has the right to cancel, advance, postpone or substitute any scheduled sailing or itinerary without prior notice. NCL shall not be responsible for failure to adhere to published arrival and departure times for any of its ports of call. NCL may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel for any sailing and cannot be liable for any loss to passengers by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement or substitution. Reservations are subject to change or cancellation in the event of a full-ship charter, and in such event, NCL shall refund all passage moneys paid by the passenger.

Harriet

THANK YOU! i might be a bit upet if this happened to me as well, but people you need to learn to red a contract!

THANK YOU! i might be a bit upet if this happened to me as well, but people you need to learn to red a contract!

I have read this, I can understand a few weeks used for charter but 2 entire months !!! NCL should have planned better, they must know that people do WANT the 10/11 day in Jan/Feb...and that the Pearl gets chartered alot. They shouldnt have decided to use the Pearl for this run in the first place if they were going to cancel everyone...makes no business sense to me let alone its not good customer service !!!

we were booked on the feb. 2nd cruise . i booked when they first released the dates and got a fantastic price BUT after seeing all the charters for the pearl around that time previous years i cancelled the booking and re- organised my dates and cruise . i would have loved to do that cruise but until ncl sort out what`s happening with these music cruises i`m staying well clear of the pearl .

I have read this, I can understand a few weeks used for charter but 2 entire months !!! NCL should have planned better, they must know that people do WANT the 10/11 day in Jan/Feb...and that the Pearl gets chartered alot. They shouldnt have decided to use the Pearl for this run in the first place if they were going to cancel everyone...makes no business sense to me let alone its not good customer service !!!

So you would be OK with all of this had NCl only chartered for two weeks and your cruise was within those two weeks? I fail to see he difference.

So you would be OK with all of this had NCl only chartered for two weeks and your cruise was within those two weeks? I fail to see he difference.

NO, NO, NO !!! but if the entire 2 months werent used for charters I may have settled to choose another date...I probably wouldnt be real happy abou it but the option would have been availiable.

Now I am FURIOUS about it, not having any choice for those 2 months. I can have time off just about any time but my DH can not and Feb is it for him for the amount of time we take usually 14- 17 days for pre and post cruise combined.

If NCL knew they were going to charter out the Pearl they should have set aside time and been done with it before assigning the ship to this particular run....

I'm sending Kevin O'Sheehan, NCL's CEO, a letter today. Basically, I'm saying that since the 10-day Eastern and 11-day Southern routes are unique, they should be done on ships that DON'T get chartered!

Kevin's address is: NCL, 7665 Corporate Center Drive, Miami, Florida 33126

I've read that the Jade and Spirit might be moving from the Med back to the US. Either one would be fine for me on these routes, or let the Sun do them again.

We've booked a trip to Hawaii on Princess to replace our cancelled cruise.

NOTE: The CEO's last name is Sheehan. And his title is President & CEO.

NO, NO, NO !!! but if the entire 2 months weren't used for charters I may have settled to choose another date

This makes sense. If you had booked the early part of Feb and they chartered then, you could maybe move to late Jan or mid/late Feb, etc.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

We booked the 11 day starting January 22, 2015, last month. It was to be our 7th cruise with NCL, finally reaching Platinum level. Six friends from various parts of the country were going to be joining us on this cruise. I'm very disappointed with NCL at the moment. Surely NCL must have known about this charter at the time of our booking. Yes, I did read the contract and did know that charters are always possible. However, since NCL offers no other longer cruises in January and February out of Florida we are stuck. I did send a letter to Kevin Sheehan and Crane Gladding. My guess is that they will hear from a lot of unhappy customers. One would hope that they rethink their corporate policy on letting people book a cruise less than a year out and then cancelling because of a charter. We will most likely be shopping for another cruise line and saying goodbye to NCL.

Edited by vbguy772

We booked the 11 day starting January 22, 2015, last month. It was to be our 7th cruise with NCL, finally reaching Platinum level. Six friends from various parts of the country were going to be joining us on this cruise. I'm very disappointed with NCL at the moment. Surely NCL must have known about this charter at the time of our booking. Yes, I did read the contract and did know that charters are always possible. However, since NCL offers no other longer cruises in January and February out of Florida we are stuck. I did send a letter to Kevin Sheehan and Crane Gladding. My guess is that they will hear from a lot of unhappy customers. One would hope that they rethink their corporate policy on letting people book a cruise less than a year out and then cancelling because of a charter. We will most likely be shopping for another cruise line and saying goodbye to NCL.

This can, will, and does happen on all cruise lines.

This can, will, and does happen on all cruise lines.

Can you give me some examples? Have you had this happen a lot on other cruise lines?

I have been cruising for 30 years, usually in the winter months, and have never had a cruise cancel because of a total ship charter. I have this happen to me twice in one year with NCL; one a Med cruise the other a PC cruise. I certainly have been on ships on other cruise lines with groups, some even quite large, but never have had a cruise canceled because the cruise line chose one customer over another (with paid reservations in place).

Happy and safe cruising all!

After we had booked read on CC about how the Pearl was always chartered out in Jan/Feb in previous years, the notice I received yesterday was no surprise, upsetting yes, but no surprise...

My question hasn't been answered here yet about having a S suite taken away from me and looking at a ship that doesn't offer a S suite what happens to the OBC they are promising? Does anybody know or speculate. I am looking at making other plans right now and will call my cruise planner in a few days.

It is a bad business practice to offer these sailings and then pull them out from under you when it seems to be an ongoing thing with the charters, they shouldn't even put the Pearl out there for the general public. IMO, NCL has a great product so I will not give up on them for this as others are saying. I do feel that they should at least do less of a charter as this 10/11/21 day is ideal for people who do not want to be involved with springbreakers. Do one charter say the 10 then do the 11 day either B2B or over the 2 or 3 months offered but not every single one of them. What I'm saying is one sailing chartered then public then charter or B2B charter then public then charter.

Why does NCL continue to advertise and allow customers to book on the Pear in January and February when they know that the ship will be chatered? NCL could easily hold off on allowing passengers to book until a year before the sail date. I know that somebody will try to defend NCL, but why advertise a cruise that is not going to happen.

Now that search is enabled again, do a search. This is routine with every main stream cruise line. NCL happens to be popular with a few groups and they return year after year. Also NCL owns one of the groups that does major charters. Within the last two years there was a poster on here that got cancelled by NCL and booked with another line (maybe CCL). When it got closer to sail date CCL cancelled their new cruise due to a charter. It happens.

If all ten or twelve posters here that have threatened to write to Kevin and book with another cruise line actually do it, do you think NCL is actually going to change their charter policy? Charters are very lucrative and since it almost always only affect one ship, not likely to change in the near future.

Quite a few posts here on CC mention that if you google sixthman or any of the other charter groups you can find the years schedule well before cruise time.

The other issue is booking airfare that is non refundable 6-12 months in advance without insurance is exposing yourself to huge financial risks. Only two way I know of to prevent loss, either take insurance or book through NCL. Both cost extra.