UPSET - Pearl Cancels On Me Again Due To Charter!

hpecorari

I guess NCL wont be getting any bookings from us next year there is nothing else that appeals to us.

Feb is the only month that works for my DH to get an extended amount of time off from work since we like to add 4/5 days prior.

So there are no other ships? If not, try another cruise line, maybe?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

A lot of people can't imagine taking a regular cruise. I've been on one of the charters for two years in a row, and they're wonderful. This last year, our cruise was half-charter, half-regular, so I finally got an idea of what you guys get with a non-music cruise. It seemed painfully cheesy to me. We had shows with world-class, Grammy-winning musicians, and we got to meet (and play music after hours with) artists that we've been listening avidly to for years. The regular cruisers had a "white hot party" attended by about 20 people, a magician, and a few Broadway-type shows. Instead of the normal sail-away party with the Macarena and bad line dancing, the regular cruisers got a Grammy award-winning bluegrass/country band playing a concert for everyone on the pool deck. I didn't really hear anybody complain.

While it seems like poor customer service to advertise and book for a cruise that will likely get chartered the following year, this event was pretty predictable for customers who do some research, especially on the boards. It looks like NCL is trying to run all the music charters back-to-back, which would cut down on "random cancelations", and they've sent the notices out as soon as they were able to confirm the charters for next year (which was as soon as they saw the numbers from the charters that just finished running this year). It also sounds like the early bookers got a discounted rate on the cruise to begin with, along with some OBC when they later have to rebook.

It does suck to get canceled, but it doesn't follow that the music cruises should "tank".

Thats all fine well and good if your into those type of cruise vacations, we arent and prefer a relaxing quieter one !

I dont care about concerts on water, I go on vacation to de-stress.....relax and enjoy the calm.

So there are no other ships? If not, try another cruise line, maybe?

It wasnt the ship that attracts us its the route and length. I have already ck'd other lines. I have resigned to doing a resort vacation, and will come back to cruising when they offer something I want to cruise.

A lot of people can't imagine taking a regular cruise. I've been on one of the charters for two years in a row, and they're wonderful. This last year, our cruise was half-charter, half-regular, so I finally got an idea of what you guys get with a non-music cruise. It seemed painfully cheesy to me. We had shows with world-class, Grammy-winning musicians, and we got to meet (and play music after hours with) artists that we've been listening avidly to for years. The regular cruisers had a "white hot party" attended by about 20 people, a magician, and a few Broadway-type shows. Instead of the normal sail-away party with the Macarena and bad line dancing, the regular cruisers got a Grammy award-winning bluegrass/country band playing a concert for everyone on the pool deck. I didn't really hear anybody complain.

While it seems like poor customer service to advertise and book for a cruise that will likely get chartered the following year, this event was pretty predictable for customers who do some research, especially on the boards. It looks like NCL is trying to run all the music charters back-to-back, which would cut down on "random cancelations", and they've sent the notices out as soon as they were able to confirm the charters for next year (which was as soon as they saw the numbers from the charters that just finished running this year). It also sounds like the early bookers got a discounted rate on the cruise to begin with, along with some OBC when they later have to rebook.

It does suck to get canceled, but it doesn't follow that the music cruises should "tank".

That sounds like an absolute blast. I'd love to do one someday. I agree that the parties and such on regular cruises can be pretty cheesy. I find them mostly fun for my son, and also for people who bizarrely think of crew members as some sort of celebrities who they like to follow around and watch cut loose. On those charter cruises, you have REAL celebrities.

That sounds like an absolute blast. I'd love to do one someday. I agree that the parties and such on regular cruises can be pretty cheesy. I find them mostly fun for my son, and also for people who bizarrely think of crew members as some sort of celebrities who they like to follow around and watch cut loose. On those charter cruises, you have REAL celebrities.

Well, celebrities to *us*, anyway. I do the bluegrass cruise, which is admittedly more low-key than some of the others, but like most bluegrassers, I'm a huge fan of a lot of the bands they book. There are also a lot of musicians in our community, so lots of us brought our instruments on board so we could jam between the shows and after hours. Jamming with my favorite fiddle player - Nicky Sanders of the Steep Canyon Rangers - and trading mandolins and licks with Erik Berry of Trampled by Turtles, were two of the most unforgettable experiences of the cruise this year. On top of that, we could lounge in the sun (sometimes just a few chairs away from someone like legendary mandolin player David Grisman), swim in the pool - all the relaxing cruise stuff. Like I said, it was pretty wonderful!

Just looked at the winter 2016 dates. The Pearl will be doing Panama canal trips, BUT there is nothing listed for her between Jan 1 and mid March 2016. Guessing NCL is going to plan to charter that time and never make their own cruises available.

Smart!

Just looked at the winter 2016 dates. The Pearl will be doing Panama canal trips, BUT there is nothing listed for her between Jan 1 and mid March 2016. Guessing NCL is going to plan to charter that time and never make their own cruises available.

Smart!

I have been looking for Feb 2015 I have come across a few on RC that might have promise, just need to look into them a little more.

At this point I am willing to try another crusie line, afterall thats how we came to NCL because they had Hawaii ! No harm in trying someone else.

I know from our recent Feb on the Sun there were alot of people who do that run every year and some even do it BB plus other cruises during the year.

I hope NCL hasnt burned too many bridges with these people, if they go to another line NCL stands to lose alot of long time frequent loyal customers !!

I guess NCL wont be getting any bookings from us next year there is nothing else that appeals to us.

Feb is the only month that works for my DH to get an extended amount of time off from work since we like to add 4/5 days prior.

I suggested to op in a previous post not to book nonrefundable air, hotel or other expenses until within 6 months of the cruise. The Pearl so easily charters these dates.

Edited by martinchem

We go on the Smooth Jazz Cruise every year - it is so popular it books out a year in advance. HAL does not book passengers on the Eurodam for the second and third weeks in January as they know it will be chartered. Sounds like NCL could save a lot of aggravation by not booking regular passengers for the weeks they know the ship will be chartered - from what I gather, this same cancellation situation happens on the Pearl every year. We did accept the move to the 10 night cruise leaving a day after our scheduled 11 night cruise next March, but much as we want to try the 11 night Pearl cruise, will forgo any bookings in the future.

We go on the Smooth Jazz Cruise every year - it is so popular it books out a year in advance. HAL does not book passengers on the Eurodam for the second and third weeks in January as they know it will be chartered. Sounds like NCL could save a lot of aggravation by not booking regular passengers for the weeks they know the ship will be chartered - from what I gather, this same cancellation situation happens on the Pearl every year. We did accept the move to the 10 night cruise leaving a day after our scheduled 11 night cruise next March, but much as we want to try the 11 night Pearl cruise, will forgo any bookings in the future.

Well, 2013 was the first year Sixthman was with NCL. And 2016 looks to have adjusted to accommodate.

We, personally, do not blame or get angry with the sixthman group or any music cruise that is booked as a Charter from the beginning. But to book as many people as they did and no indication for any of us that a Charter would be taking over, is inexcuseable...

we booked 21 days and looked forward to the ports that they advertised.

I feel like someone pulled the rug out from under us and it was NCL not the people who arranged the charter. We are loyal NCL cruisers with more than 21 NCL cruises on our list and feel quite shoved out the back door...

We, personally, do not blame or get angry with the sixthman group or any music cruise that is booked as a Charter from the beginning. But to book as many people as they did and no indication for any of us that a Charter would be taking over, is inexcuseable...

we booked 21 days and looked forward to the ports that they advertised.

I feel like someone pulled the rug out from under us and it was NCL not the people who arranged the charter. We are loyal NCL cruisers with more than 21 NCL cruises on our list and feel quite shoved out the back door...

I feel the same although we dont have that many...I think they were trying to cover all their bases have reservations JUST IN CASE the charter didnt work out. Now they have upset people and some of the them very loyal who do the Southern route every year plus other NCL cruises throughout.

I am looking at RCC they seem to have a few that are 10/11 and just about the same amount of $.

Well, 2013 was the first year Sixthman was with NCL. And 2016 looks to have adjusted to accommodate.

That is a little too late to fix 2015 !! They should have thought it all out before taking reservations and charter ..shame on them

That is a little too late to fix 2015 !! They should have thought it all out before taking reservations and charter ..shame on them

As said over and over in this thread, cancelling regular cruises because of charters is business as usual for the whole mass market cruise industry - NCL is not alone there. And now that NCL has stepped up and in the future will provide better service than most competitors can, you keep on whining still. Geez.

I know that getting a reserved cruise cancelled isn't too fun but once it has happened, there is nothing you can do about it other than to get over it.

Edited by Demonyte

Yea, no matter how you slice it, NCL winds up with a lot of egg on their face over these cancellations.

People affected paid a lot of money, made other arrangements to coincide with their cruise and then not only does NCL pull the rug out from under them, they don't even provide good viable alternatives. From research some of the affected folks have done, it seems there are no other similar cruises to be had.

I feel these folks have a legitimate gripe and certainly are entitled to complain, not so easy to just "get over it".

Furthermore, I think the consolations that NCL is offering are rather stingy. If they said, hey, we're gonna give you a full refund, cover any other non-refundable related expenses, (after proof), and give you a cruise of your choice, FREE, then I would think they were doing something to really show they are sorry for inconveniencing folks.

As said over and over in this thread, cancelling regular cruises because of charters is business as usual for the whole mass market cruise industry - NCL is not alone there. And now that NCL has stepped up and in the future will provide better service than most competitors can, you keep on whining still. Geez.

I know that getting a reserved cruise cancelled isn't too fun but once it has happened, there is nothing you can do about it other than to get over it.

It happens but I think from what I have read NCL does it the most. YEP they may have "stepped up" but not soon enough. YES and I will take some cheese with my whine !!! Geez !!!! I have a feeling they are reacting to a huge backlash from customers and thats the soonest they could correct what they did !

Edited by Twiz

Yea, no matter how you slice it, NCL winds up with a lot of egg on their face over these cancellations.

People affected paid a lot of money, made other arrangements to coincide with their cruise and then not only does NCL pull the rug out from under them, they don't even provide good viable alternatives. From research some of the affected folks have done, it seems there are no other similar cruises to be had.

I feel these folks have a legitimate gripe and certainly are entitled to complain, not so easy to just "get over it".

Furthermore, I think the consolations that NCL is offering are rather stingy. If they said, hey, we're gonna give you a full refund, cover any other non-refundable related expenses, (after proof), and give you a cruise of your choice, FREE, then I would think they were doing something to really show they are sorry for inconveniencing folks.

Couldnt have said it better ... pretty sure they are rethinking

their actions and regretting how they went about it !

Edited by Twiz

Couldnt have said it better ... pretty sure they are rethinking their actions and regretting how they went about it !

No they're not! LOL

This isn't the first one they've cancelled....it isn't the 2nd one they've cancelled....this isn't the first year they've done this.

And it won't be the last one they'll cancell.

You really think they're rethinking their actions?

LOL

Harriet

Never going to happen. NCL is a business and even if a handful never sail NCL again......even though the problem was with the Pearl.....the revenue they make with these charters will make it up 10 fold.

But.....

thanks for the laugh!

Harriet

No they're not! LOL

This isn't the first one they've cancelled....it isn't the 2nd one they've cancelled....this isn't the first year they've done this.

And it won't be the last one they'll cancell.

You really think they're rethinking their actions?

LOL

Harriet

Actually I do think they thought about it..YES they have canceled plenty of cruises for a charter but from what I have been able to find NOT 2 entire months consecutively.

I am also quite convinced that it would be more than a HANDFUL that might leave . From talking to alot of those people they do more than 2/3 crusies a year with NCL so in my opinion that money adds up. Several were doing BB this year and do every year.

Edited by Twiz

I am also quite convinced that it would be more than a HANDFUL that might leave . From talking to alot of those people they do more than 2/3 crusies a year with NCL so in my opinion that money adds up. Several were doing BB this year and do every year.

No matter how you'd like to put it, people affected by these cancellations in the last few years truly are only a handful in NCL's scale - even if all decided never to cruise with NCL again and convinced one other person to do the same (doubling the mass), that would still be only a handful - a lot more people are not cruising NCL anyway just because of the FUD spread by some travel agents (NCL pays them less than some other lines), on internet forums like this, etc, etc.

Given that these cancellations are usually made almost a year before the cruise - if even 25% of cabins were already sold (highly doubt it) then that would be only a very, very small percentage of all the people booked to cruise with NCL on any given week - in other words: peanuts.

Also by using a ship that does 40-60% longer cruises than regular mass market cruises, they have one less cruise's worth of disgruntled passengers for every three weeks cancelled - that is already 30% less people in the already very small group of people in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, I get that some aren't happy for getting cancelled but unlike many seem to think, world doesn't revolve around their own belly buttons.

What NCL has done is completely understandable if one tries to look things objectively. As said by others, the repeat cruisers on those charters will generate more than enough income a year to cover the loss of somebody doing only two regular cruises a year - even I take in average about 12 nights of cruises a year and I don't have any illusion that losing my business would have any effect with anything NCL or any large corporation does.

Edited by Demonyte

You can bet NCL tracks repeat customer rates and as long those numbers are above their projected figure then they are doing their job and the caring about how individual customers are affected is lower. They surely tracked the rebook rate from the October and November cancellations found them acceptable or above so just repeated the offer that is business. They and the customer won't have to deal with it next year it looks like.

That said all it takes is a engine room fire(see Carnival) and the HANDFUL of disgruntled customers become important again and a lot more than 50 dollars OBC would be offered. Numbers it is all about the numbers.

NCL is just going thru a transistion period with the Pearl music charter business plan model...fewer guests will be displaced in the future as the music charters move into their second year and NCL long term fleet planners make the adjustments

No matter how you'd like to put it, people affected by these cancellations in the last few years truly are only a handful in NCL's scale - even if all decided never to cruise with NCL again and convinced one other person to do the same (doubling the mass), that would still be only a handful - a lot more people are not cruising NCL anyway just because of the FUD spread by some travel agents (NCL pays them less than some other lines), on internet forums like this, etc, etc.

Given that these cancellations are usually made almost a year before the cruise - if even 25% of cabins were already sold (highly doubt it) then that would be only a very, very small percentage of all the people booked to cruise with NCL on any given week - in other words: peanuts.

Also by using a ship that does 40-60% longer cruises than regular mass market cruises, they have one less cruise's worth of disgruntled passengers for every three weeks cancelled - that is already 30% less people in the already very small group of people in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, I get that some aren't happy for getting cancelled but unlike many seem to think, world doesn't revolve around their own belly buttons.

What NCL has done is completely understandable if one tries to look things objectively. As said by others, the repeat cruisers on those charters will generate more than enough income a year to cover the loss of somebody doing only two regular cruises a year - even I take in average about 12 nights of cruises a year and I don't have any illusion that losing my business would have any effect with anything NCL or any large corporation does.

Absolutely.

I'd also doubt the figure of 25% of cabins booked a year out. 10% would surprise me.

The majority of people who are affected by a charter a year out will not move away from NCL as a result. I had one chartered for this year, and was informed almost exactly a year out. Was I annoyed? Will I change cruise lines? No. Was I pleased with the OBC they offered? Was I glad they gave me a years notice? Yes.

I can see why it would be a problem inside 6 months, but this far out, I agree totally that the number of people upset about it is extremely small compared to NCL's customer base, and the new cruisers the charters will encourage.

I'm very pleased that they don't seem to be offering any cruises in winter 2015/16 to avoid this problem. It's a very sensible decision and one which I'm sure was easy for them to make now the charters are well established. It has nothing to do with any backlash from people with 2014/15 bookings.

Harriet: I had a 21-day combined cruise for Jan/Feb 2015 cancelled, too. I emailed and snail mailed a letter to Kevin Sheehan this past Sunday, and so far two people from NCL corporate have called me about it. The first caller offered to upgrade us on a Dawn to Bermuda cruise we had just booked, but we didn't like the suites being offered. The second caller was basically calling to let me vent, but I didn't get ugly (though I told her I was extremely upset--can I say "pissed" on Cruise Critic.com??) and I said that the Pearl should NOT be on the longer eastern and southern routes. I also said I felt "used" because NCL was taking reservations they were planning to/hoping to cancel for music charters.

When another ship starts doing the longer eastern/southern routes, we will be on it ASAP.

On a completely unrelated matter (we talked about 20 minutes) I said if they get rid of the Sun, I'll never sail on NCL again.

So, email Kevin Sheehan, or send him a snail mail letter. The more people he hears from, the better. The ladies who called me said NCL reviews Cruise Critic boards, but apparently they are more likely to respond to actual letters.